• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Fracas

#fuckonami
That thread raised legitimate concerns, and was totally worth talking about. I think it was shitty that it got locked. I didn't see the other one, but yeah, it sounds stupid.

Nothing to worry about. PS3 had basically the exact same language. Sony reserves the right to stop resale, but doesn't actually do it.
GAF, is this overdoing it:

-PS4
-PS Eye
-Vertical Stand
-Assassins Creed IV
-Killzone: Shadow Fall
-Knack
-FIFA 14

Oh man I forgot about the stand. Where can I grab one?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

-PS4
-PS Eye
-Vertical Stand
-Assassins Creed IV
-Knack
-FIFA 14
Yeah dude, go nuts! But not to be an anti-Knack evangelist, but I think that game is gonna end up being pretty bad.

Nothing to worry about. PS3 had basically the exact same language. Sony reserves the right to stop resale, but doesn't actually do it.

But why would Sony have that policy if they don't intend on using it at some point? The "they haven't enforced it yet" excuse isn't very satisfying to me.

And the stand isn't being released in the States at launch for some reason. Only third party ones. :-\

I'm just going to say it in here. I already did in a pm to newly acquired friend Empty, but I really do think Sony is primed for another one-sided generation. It isn't the same feels of the PS2.

That was something fairly rare.

But it just seems like Sony hit that sweet spot. Just enough power to sate the hunger for new big sexy, intelligent design that should reach profitability quick, and launching for fairly cheap.

I may not buy one early on, but Sony has the only vision of console gaming that makes any sense this generation. It might be a little conservative in approach, but it isn't "More for less" like MS or "Painting with poop." like Nintendo.

It might not be a revelation, but I'm feeling more and more like it's the right approach for the changing console gaming market. And just so no one thinks this is some fanboy tripe. The last Sony console I bought was the PS2 in 2001. It's been Nintendo and MS since 2004 when my PS2 crapped out.

Go back to launch hype guys. It's been a blast to read.

Jburton

Banned
That thread raised legitimate concerns, and was totally worth talking about. I think it was shitty that it got locked. I didn't see the other one, but yeah, it sounds stupid.

It really didn't, nothing stated in that thread was new and Sony have used that language in their terms for years.

Nothing had changed and nothing new was coming in regards to changes in stance to DRM.

It was FUD.

Jeels

FAQ says it will be available at launch, so hoping to pick it up whenever I go to Best Buy to pick up the console.

No - you are still sticking with one controller.

Hurricane43 said:
Not at all Buddy. Keep it going. Great collection.

Alright, thanks. I do think that will be enough to tide me over until early 2014 with Driveclub and FFXIV. (Other than digital purchases).

where's the Vita?

Already got one. :)

Ashodin

So I've been seeing all these threads about Xbox One and how it is near-comparable to PS4, and I KNOW the GDDR5 Ram is a big big deal, but I've got a question to ask:

Are journalists losing their minds because the PS4 actually is technically better than Xbox One and can't handle it?

Like, seriously. I can't believe the amount of backpedaling and journalist defense forcing going on. It's ridiculous.

That being said, I wish I could join you guys in the sun on the 15th. I am afraid it will be unpossible considering the availability (though I suspect Target may have some launch systems). The draw is strong, but I'll most likely get a PS4 when a strong game compels me to buy it much like the PS2 (Final Fantasy X) and PS3 (Demon's Souls) did.

Pretty much, I'm waiting for FFXV.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeah dude, go nuts! But not to be an anti-Knack evangelist, but I think that game is gonna end up being pretty bad.

But why would Sony have that policy if they don't intend on using it at some point? The "they haven't enforced it yet" excuse isn't very satisfying to me.

And the stand isn't being released in the States at launch for some reason. Only third party ones. :-\

shhhh no tears

only 1080p60fps now

DoomGyver

Use the one that comes with the system until USB support is patched in. I think they even said most USB headsets should work after the day one update but I would wait to make sure.

"Will be compatible following system software version 1.50. * After the update, most commercially available USB headsets will be compatible."

Astro confirmed that their A40 mixamp will work via USB after the 1.50 update. I imagine most USB sets will work. We'll have to wait and see.

-PS4
-PS Eye
-Vertical Stand
-Assassins Creed IV
-Knack
-FIFA 14

Missing.

rocketfish-chat-headset.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It really didn't, nothing stated in that thread was new and Sony have used that language in their terms for years.

Nothing had changed and nothing new was coming in regards to changes in stance to DRM.
The fact that it's an old policy doesn't really matter to me. Why's it there? What's the intention behind it? Equating it to "Secret DRM plots!" is overkill, yeah, but it's still worth talking about and scrutinizing.

shhhh no tears

only 1080p60fps now
No, when will you sheeple wake up!

lol

DoomGyver

-PS4
-PS Eye
-Vertical Stand
-Assassins Creed IV
-Knack
-FIFA 14

This is my haul so far

PS4
DS4
KZ:SF
BF4
Knack
Resogun
Trine 2

Initially I was only planning on PS4/KZ/Resogun but with all of these amazing deals.. yeah.

Jarsonot

My god, I went out and got Knack, Killzone, & BF4 today (Best Buy, price-matching Target) and just noticed that I'll need somewhere around 125GB for just those 3 games.

I said wow. =)

I realize that I won't have to keep all of that data on the hard drive, but damn...

I keep my PS3 pretty chock full of downloadable titles, and am no stranger to deleting things to make more room, redownloading, etc... I'm just thinking it's going to suck to have to keep around 50GB free in order to play disc-based games! That's nuts!

Ah well, price we pay for greatness, I guess? =) Stoked to be able to install these badboys on Friday. If I had any idea when it'd arrive (ordered from Amazon) I'd seriously be considering taking a personal day.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I played the demo and I enjoyed it, not enough to pay 60 at launch though.

Someone mentioned that it is going to be the Kameo of the PS4 and I totally agree with that.

My god, I went out and got Knack, Killzone, & BF4 today (Best Buy, price-matching Target) and just noticed that I'll need somewhere around 125GB for just those 3 games.

Oh neat, they are matching it? I thought they didn't match those type of sales.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The fact that it's an old policy doesn't really matter to me. Why's it there? What's the intention behind it? Equating it to "Secret DRM plots!" is overkill, yeah, but it's still worth talking about and scrutinizing.

lol

What launch games are you going with?

Also you peeps need to add me on PSN. I still haven't decided what my new psn id will be though. I'm sure "Fracas" is already taken.

Jburton

Banned

lol

Certainly I agree that a grown up discussion about the policy can take place, but at the moment that will not happen ....... you end up with a whole raft of nonsense and fanboy crap.

According to some it was more to do with unauthorised resellers rather than penalising end users.

coughlanio

I said wow. =)

I realize that I won't have to keep all of that data on the hard drive, but damn...

I keep my PS3 pretty chock full of downloadable titles, and am no stranger to deleting things to make more room, redownloading, etc... I'm just thinking it's going to suck to have to keep around 50GB free in order to play disc-based games! That's nuts!

Ah well, price we pay for greatness, I guess? =) Stoked to be able to install these badboys on Friday. If I had any idea when it'd arrive (ordered from Amazon) I'd seriously be considering taking a personal day.

They all use the same 50GB cache, so all 3 games will use the same 50GB space on your drive.

viveks86

I suggest you take it up with the mods or create another thread. Let's not start this conversation here just because the other got locked

Jarsonot

Oh neat, they are matching it? I thought they didn't match those type of sales.
Yeah they knew all about the Target deal and had no problem matching it.

They all use the same 50GB cache, so all 3 games will use the same 50GB space on your drive.

Hmm... I knew about the caching, I guess I assumed I could optionally install?

So if I'm understanding correctly, every time I switch games it's going to delete the old cache, and then reinstall upwards of 50GB? Every time I switch games?

I'm going to take that with a grain of salt, as that sounds crazy. =)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
GAF is this overdoing it?

Killzone: Shadow Fall
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts

Everything else is covered by Taco Bell. Eat Fresh!

Sanjuro

I'm so disappointed there's no remote control out. Probably gonna keep using my PS3 for Blu-rays

Pfft. Why would you use a PS3 for that? The PS4 is clearly going to be more Bluer.

I hope my shitty Nyko dongle will still work on the PS4 for this reason. Best couple dollars ever spent!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What launch games are you going with?

Also you peeps need to add me on PSN. I still haven't decided what my new psn id will be though. I'm sure "Fracas" is already taken.
I got Killzone and BF4 through the B1G1 sale on Amazon today. Can't fucking wait. Killzone still looks pretty iffy to me, but it's gorgeous as hell and the gameplay doesn't look terrible, so I'll give it a shot, haha. I'm hoping that the custom Warzones make the game more balanced, cause the default settings look like Halo 4 levels of stupid.

Certainly I agree that a grown up discussion about the policy can take place, but at the moment that will not happen ....... you end up with a whole raft of nonsense and fanboy crap.

According to some it was more to do with unauthorised resellers rather than penalising end users.
Yeah, the console wars are more enflamed than they've been in 6+ years, but this stuff still needs to be talked about. I hate to see people give questionable policies an easy pass because they like the console maker. And ultimately, the policy could be totally benign. Letting us talk about it and vet it out would have helped clarify things.

Omlagus

I can't believe we are only five days away! :eek:

Already got Knack and KZ. Going to get second DS4 and camera tomorrow and then the agony of waiting until Friday and delivery. Need to go back to the Banderas thread while I'm waiting.

Jarsonot

GAF is this overdoing it?

Killzone: Shadow Fall
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts

I was *this* close to doing the same thing, but ended up getting Knack instead of COD. I figure the wife may enjoy it (always looking for ways to get her gaming) and I just couldn't pull the trigger on 3 FPSs.

And the stand isn't being released in the States at launch for some reason. Only third party ones. :-

Gamestop has it listed fof December for sale.

Sanjuro

Why is everyone getting the camera? Is there a feature that I'm missing?

Seems like one of the major reasons people didn't get the XBone was because of this, but everyone seems to be shelling out for one.

DoomGyver

Seems like one of the major reasons people didn't get the XBone was because of this, but everyone seems to be shelling out for one.

I don't get it either. There's a tech demo and video chat? I might pick one up when I can get it really cheap.

viveks86

Primarily for live streaming. I think the reason for the unfavorable response that the xbox got was that it wasn't an option.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gamestop has it listed fof December for sale.
Really? Sweet. I hope that's accurate. I can wait till then.

I'm getting one purely for streaming purposes. Which sounds absurd, and maybe it is, but I'm gonna have this thing for years, so I may as well get the most out of it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I was really hoping that unboxing video would pan around to show Banderas, but I'll take Shu :p

Always love his child like awe grin.

drproton

I haven't ordered one yet, but my intent is to get one for voice commands, and since I already have Move controllers, I want to play Octodad with it.

Top Bottom