• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

tensuke

My answer to his question is still correct.

I know, just pointing out you wouldn't need a camera if, say, that was all you were after. :p

I'm glad the PS4 is so small, looks like I'll be able to bring back my old PS2 case (and probably fit the Vita in there too)!
7EOXT4X.jpg

Actually I'm fine with that headset. I'm just glad Sony is including a simple 360-style solution out of the box this time. The lack of one is part of the reason I didn't spend much time online with the PS3.

drproton

Are earbuds notorious for falling out of peoples' ears? I've certainly never had that problem.

I can't wear the plastic ones. They're uncomfortable for me and fall out.

I use silicone IEMs.

But my problem with the earpiece extends to a 360-style headset too. If it doesn't output game audio, it's blocking one of my ears from hearing the game from my surround system. I'd rather use a full enclosure stereo headset with game and voice mixed accordingly.

VanWinkle

Actually I'm fine with that headset. I'm just glad Sony is including a simple 360-style solution out of the box this time. The lack of one is part of the reason I didn't spend much time online with the PS3.

Yeah. Definitely a very good thing they're including one period. Can't believe XB1 wasn't going to have one. Oy vey! They dodged a bullet there.

I can't wear the plastic ones. They're uncomfortable for me and fall out.

I use silicone IEMs.

But my problem with the earpiece extends to a 360-style headset too. If it doesn't output game audio, it's blocking one of my ears from hearing the game from my surround system. I'd rather use a full enclosure stereo headset with game and voice mixed accordingly.

Ahh. See, for me, IEMs ALWAYS fall out of my ears. I think if you use one of those little foam covers, earbuds suddenly become much more comfortable and snug than they normally are.

Did anyone expect high quality earbuds? Really? This is basically those earbuds that come with your IPhone or something. As cheap as they come.

It is just awesome the controller has the port in the first place. My BOSE earbuds will get a ton of use.

Sanjuro

I called the Playstation online experience, "The Lonely Island". There are plenty of times where I don't like speaking to anyone, but like the ability to engage in some sort of dialog during multiplayer.

tensuke

No, they only specified that the Music Unlimited trial worked that way. They didn't clarify if the PS+ offer allowed current users to extend, AFAIK.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/08/a-threefold-surprise-for-ps4-owners/
Sid Shuman said:
Yes, this is intended for new customers – it won’t stack if you’re already a Plus subscriber. So if you are, feel free to share it with a friend.

Also from the article itself:
30-day free PlayStation Plus membership trial**
30-day free Music Unlimited service trial**

** Only for new subscribers

synce

Finally played the PS4 at my gamestop today.... only had Knack and Fifa but it was a very disappointing experience.

- Super long load times
- Games looked like PS3 games
- The DS4's new triggers are still awful

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to resist the launch hype but this play session ensured I'll be waiting for something worthwhile to release first (eg The Order)

DUMPTRUXX

Banned
So fucking pumped.

And I'm glad I haven't touched or seen anything related to PS4 in person. My weiner is gonna call off at midnight on Friday.

Sanjuro

Is there an Amazon link for this? I'm not seeing it.

Also, I guess this is third-party, not an official Sony product? Might wait for impressions.

Nah. I commented on the other page, it's just a trash Rocketfish (Best Buy brand) headset that got that shiny Sony logo.

Apeopleman

Finally played the PS4 at my gamestop today.... only had Knack and Fifa but it was a very disappointing experience.

- Super long load times
- Games looked like PS3 games
- The DS4's new triggers are still awful

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to resist the launch hype but this play session ensured I'll be waiting for something worthwhile to release first (eg The Order)

They really dropped the ball.

They should have had a Killzone demo. Octodad doesnt make me go "wow!"

Those demo kiosks definitely don't do a great job of selling it. I played a few of the demos and there's nothing that makes you go "wow, next gen!" In fact I didn't see anything that I would have trouble believing was running on a PS3. I'm sure that will change in time. Killzone might be that game in which case they definitely screwed up not getting a demo out there.

Xbox might have a bit of an edge here. Ryse is probably not a good game but that and Forza are probably the closest things to true next-gen "wow factor" demo titles on either system, which is why MS is pushing them to the exclusion of almost everything else.

Those demo kiosks definitely don't do a great job of selling it. I played a few of the demos and there's nothing that makes you go "wow, next gen!" In fact I didn't see anything that I would have trouble believing was running on a PS3. I'm sure that will change in time. Killzone might be that game in which case they definitely screwed up not getting a demo out there.

Xbox might have a bit of an edge here. Ryse is probably not a good game but that and Forza are probably the closest things to true next-gen "wow factor" demo titles on either system, which is why MS is pushing them to the exclusion of almost everything else.

I need a book of Eli talltale game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Amazon officially added NFS to the list.

I hope they add USB headset functionality soon, dunno why it's not at launch but whatever.

Probably the only thing you'd want the Camera for is live streaming (if that is indeed something you'd even want). That's the main thing I'm getting it for, but also video chat and the occasional motion-based game.
Maybe I'll reinvent myself as the next PewDiePie. $$$$$$$$$$

I know, just pointing out you wouldn't need a camera if, say, that was all you were after. :p

I'm glad the PS4 is so small, looks like I'll be able to bring back my old PS2 case (and probably fit the Vita in there too)!
That bag is amazing. I think that I have one in storage somewhere. Those were the good ol' days.

all the money i've been putting into my savings for the ps4 has now been transfered to checking, just ready for them to charge me and ship it. i feel... powerful.

Prologue

Anyone still going to try and sell their PS4's? Prices aren't as high yet as I would have wanted. Was there a huge jump during the week of the PS3 release?

The_Afroman

Is anyone upset that there is no Ridge Racer at launch?

They are never "great" but man are they fun.. I would KILL for an HD remake of R4.

Top Bottom