• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how people come in here and throw some type of negativity.

"still those japan sales tho"
"x-box will close that gap with titan fall in march"
" its really not that impressive"

lol people are funny

gcubed

PS3 was at 4.1 million when 360 was at 10 million?

Damn, Sony did one heck of a job catching up.

There was also a year difference, which has a greater impact that close, but yes Sony did some amazing things to walk back the disaster that was the ps3 launch

N.Domixis

Banned

lol people are funny

I know right. Some come in saying it is to early to tell. AT this point it is pretty much confirmed that ps4 will win. How will xbox close a gap of 3 million if they only appeal to NA while sony is dominating in every other country/region.

It feels awesome knowing EA bet on the wrong chicken.

pestul

Holy crap.. this system is going to fly through 10 Million in its first year.. amazing. Great to see the install base grow so quickly for tentative devs as well. Maybe I'll be eating crow pretty soon about my 'doom and gloom' predictions.

vooglie

Can't speak for FIFA, but none of those require a PS4. Things will get great once the actual next gen games start flowing in.

So which is it? It has 'no games' or it 'fewer exclusives'? If the latter: this is pretty well known. But that matters for very little at this stage of the console lifecycle, as evidenced.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Deserved! Sony are very fast to update these numbers these day, while we never get Vita numbers. I guess why :p

7-8 years was way to long for a generation, so lots of people are buying out of anticipation and excitement.
Well, that and I think a lot of people still get enjoyment out of the best console versions of big franchises like Battlefield, CoD, and Tomb Raider. Friend of mine was pretty blown away by Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider at 60fps with all the bells and whistles is a pretty next gen experience visually for someone who doesn't have a good gaming PC. I see more people liking Knack than I expected too.

Pop

lol people are funny

You forgot "I'm surprised at the sales cause the system has no games". What those people meant to say was, "No games for ME".

Congrats Sony! Hot damn 6 million

I know right. Some come in saying it is to early to tell. AT this point it is pretty much confirmed that ps4 will win. How will xbox close a gap of 3 million if they only appeal to NA while sony is dominating in every other country/region.

If Sony manages to give us a good VR helmet in the next 1 or 2 years, I could see them dominate like in the PS2 days or even surpass it...but what if MS pulled out something similar down the line?

Sony managed to turn around the PS3, MS could do it too, who knows. But my money is definitely on Sony, with all them VR rumors floating around, the fabulous sale numbers and their outstanding 1st party studios, it's quite a safe bet.

rager

Banned
ibhYNp8A3p8C24.gif

People keep talking about no games, but I will continue to say that the streaming feature is selling the PS4, not streaming games but Playroom streaming you as the entertainment.

Well, in order for Microsoft to catch up they need Sony to fall back on the exclusive games front first and foremost. It will be up to Sony's first party efforts to really keep laying the heat on with both quality and volume. If Microsoft can produce more exclusive games (both first and third party) in the near term tha we currently know about then I think an opening will arise for them. With more games than ever being multiplatform, the importance of exclusives has never been greater.

Wow.

Well, I got my PS4 y'day as well in anticipation of infamous. I have to say, PS4 has no games. Resogun is nice, but otherwise it is a barren wasteland. Strange that so many million ppl are buying.

Strange as I have a lot of games on my PS4 so it's hardly what I would call a barren wasteland.

Jack cw

Well, in order for Microsoft to catch up they need Sony to fall back on the exclusive games front first and foremost. It will be up to Sony's first party efforts to really keep laying the heat on with both quality and volume. If Microsoft can produce more exclusive games (both first and third party) in the near term tha we currently know about then I think an opening will arise for them. With more games than ever being multiplatform, the importance of exclusives has never been greater.

Its basically the other way around. Multiplatform titles sell systems and software. its nice to have some great exclusives but they dont do as much as a GTA, AC, FIFA, CoD, BF, etc. The only relevant franchises are GT and Halo when it comes to exclusives that have systemseller power.

3.5m in 4 months is very strong, in isolation.

I would imagine its more frontloaded sales wise than normal though. I'm not a sales number expert but it seems to be cooling off pretty quickly for them. Regardless, retailers don't like what they are seeing or they wouldn't be giving out free games with the console this early.

They sure did. What is funny is Sony is doing this while only releasing 2 exclusivse KZ & Knack. Imagine once the bread winners are shown at E3

You forgot "I'm surprised at the sales cause the system has no games". What those people meant to say was, "No games for ME".

Congrats Sony! Hot damn 6 million

I hate that no games argument. #facepalm

Its basically the other way around. Multiplatform titles sell systems and software. its nice to have some great exclusives but they dont do as much as a GTA, AC, FIFA, CoD, BF, etc. The only relevant franchises are GT and Halo when it comes to exclusives that have systemseller power.

When all things are considered equal in the consumers eyes they will break with the system with the exclusives they want the most if both systems play Call of Duty (which is what they may want to play more than the exclusives themselves). The multiplatform titles may indeed make them want to pony up the cash for a newer system but the exclusives sway them to which they will take.That is just my take on it.

It looks like those of us who predicted PS4 would hit 2:1 globally post-supply constraints are going to be right. That wasn't hard to predict given the surveys and metrics indicating 2:1 interest in PS4. Just a reasonable estimate based on the evidence.

Amazingly, PS4s still seem to be sold out almost everywhere, supply hasn't yet caught up with demand. I think we're done with a mil+ a month, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another 500-700k sold in March.

Zok310

Banned

lol people are funny

Yeah as if the lead console is all of a sudden going to fall off a cliff in terms of sales allowing the struggling consoles to double their sales overnight thus surpassing the PS4.

Might be a good time to point out that no such scenario have never occurred in the history of the industry. Instead what we see is that the lead console stays in the lead by a significant margin while the lagging consoles battle for what's left of the market.

DBT85

I would imagine its more frontloaded sales wise than normal though. I'm not a sales number expert but it seems to be cooling off pretty quickly for them. Regardless, retailers don't like what they are seeing or they wouldn't be giving out free games with the console this early.

Both PS4 and Xbone had much more stock availability for launch than any console in history. So yes, very front loaded in that regard.

MS problem is that they are already available in the key markets for them. Launching in Norway et al isn't going to do shit for their numbers.

Feb NPD number will be very interesting. I'm assuming people are expecting it to go down from the January number?

bill0527

Suck it EA.

6 million potential Titanfall sales you pissed away.

I'm pretty confident they didn't have that number in their projections when they did the exclusive deal with Microsoft.

Yeah as if the lead console is all of a sudden going to fall off a cliff in terms of sales allowing the struggling consoles to double their sales overnight thus surpassing the PS4.

Might be a good time to point out that no such scenario have never occurred in the history of the industry. Instead what we see is that the lead console stays in the lead by a significant margin while the lagging consoles battle for what's left of the market.

Exactly this. It is also obviously clear that Sony understand the Japanese market is all about handhelds and mobiles, they refocused their efforts in EU and NA and its paid off.

WiiU in the rear view mirror now.

Now lets just get some "next gen" games! Thief is my 1st PS4 purchase this year and it looks like dog shit. I want no more cross-gen, cut those kids off..they had their time.

Breemin

I saw this on the front page of Google news since this morning.

Nice job Sony!! I am happy to be a PS4 owner. (even though it has hardly any games I would play)

This makes me feel very confident that with this huge user base, the games will come and they will be good...
Console gaming is far from dead. The proof is in the pudding.

I don't get why they compare it to Wii U though. Yes they already beat Wii U numbers, but Wii U is a different kind of console. Nintendo has always been in a class of their own.

darkwing

Suck it EA.

6 million potential Titanfall sales you pissed away.

I'm pretty confident they didn't have that number in their projections when they did the exclusive deal with Microsoft.

But we don't know how much MS paid for exclusivity, it could even be more than the potential PS4 version sales

manfestival

there is too much salt over video game sales

anyways, I think their sales are pretty nice. Especially considering how much the mobile/cell/tablet market has affected gaming overall. We live in very different times from any other console generation. I think reaching the current market is probably harder than before unless you have some huge marketing campaign or dev cost is low enough to justify the means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom