• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGamer92

Banned
If Sony can get their supply problems in order by the time inFamous comes out, they would really beast this month's NPD.

oIBFXD4.gif

good for sony, even if they're still in bad shape

kazhiraithewown3d8o.jpg

Lexxism

But didn't it already do over 321k?

Now that I think about it, it likely won't reach those numbers until lady bergo comes out

Yes in its first two days and then they said that it sold 370k till March 2nd. That means that PS4 sold around 50-70k in its 2nd week.

sestrugen

Infamous and MGS should help the PS4. Titanfall going to 360 and PC will cannibalize some of the XBone prospected sales and will make it for a tough March NPD for MS, I think the PS4 will still come ahead or at least on par with the XBone.

DBT85

It would be nice to get an update on their sales to get an idea of what is going on exactly. It may not be as bad as we think but bad from a PR perspective.

If the Xbone NPD for February were to be 159k (141k for January), then by my estimate they'll be at 3.5m worldwide.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
all about momentum now. Can Sony transition from early adopters to mass market without demand dropping off too much, through solid word of mouth etc. They're launched in all their markets pretty much now.

MS clearly have softer demand in their tier 1 markets, but they still have the potential for some fast sales from launching in more markets. That could sustain them to decent overall numbers for 2014 and help prop things up if demand remains soft in their core markets - but still tracking below PS4

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it's available unofficially in all the tier 2 markets. I don't know if id buy one before it was officially released tho.

beercr8te

Banned
Good job Sony, loving my PS4 right now, I can't see titanfall making a huge bump in sales of xbox 1's seeing as its not exclusive to the platform. MS are going to have to do a hell of a lot more to turn things around, Sony are already winning this gen.

Tsundere

Banned
So where does that place PS4 in NPD estimates? That's around 800k for the month, with 370k~ in Japan.. So perhaps around 200k?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
all about momentum now. Can Sony transition from early adopters to mass market without demand dropping off too much, through solid word of mouth etc. They're launched in all their markets pretty much now.

MS clearly have softer demand in their tier 1 markets, but they still have the potential for some fast sales from launching in more markets. That could sustain them to decent overall numbers for 2014 and help prop things up if demand remains soft in their core markets - but still tracking below PS4

this. Titanfall truly is Microsoft's best hope. I imagine MS will pack the game in with the console in every country they launch in going forward. Every new country they launch in should give them a nice little bump to help close the gap.

I can't see the PS4 keeping momentum up after the early adopters all get their hands on it. Just not easy to do with a $400 system and few, if any, killer apps on the horizon.

Freeman

Banned
From now on it should be smooth sailing for the foreseeable future. Infamous Second Son, Ground Zeroes, MLB, DriveClub, should take us to E3 and from there on the year is full of big releases.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Feels good to see a company like Sony reaping the benefits of being humbled, listening to their consumers, and giving gamers lots of reasons to be excited about the future. This first year for them is looking so good.

SykoTech

I'm usually not one for sales cheerleading, but given all the gloom and doom regarding console gaming that's been going on, I'm happy to see the PS4 performing so well all around the world.

Good job, Sony.

this. Titanfall truly is Microsoft's best hope. I imagine MS will pack the game in with the console in every country they launch in going forward. Every new country they launch in should give them a nice little bump to help close the gap.

I can't see the PS4 keeping momentum up after the early adopters all get their hands on it. Just not easy to do with a $400 system and few, if any, killer apps on the horizon.

Lol the gap is not gonna close, the gap is gonna widen. Those 13 markets the Xbone launched in will make up >80% of total sales. I'm from Tier 2 and many xbox fans I know either got/waits for the PS4 or imported the Xbone from Germany/UK, pretty much every Mediamarkt I went to had imported consoles in stores and they aren't moving.

When do they plan to release in Tier 2? Is it still gonna be Q2, or is it towards the end of the year? Packed in Titanfall bundle will lose relevance if so, especially when people are able get it on their PC or 360 months ago. The longer MS waits, the more they miss opportunities to profit from PS4's supply shortages.

ymmv

Banned
Lol the gap is not gonna close, the gap is gonna widen. Those 13 markets the Xbone launched in will make up >80% of total sales. I'm from Tier 2 and many xbox fans I know either got/waits for the PS4 or imported the Xbone from Germany/UK, pretty much every Mediamarkt I went to had imported consoles in stores and they aren't moving.

Yep. I saw a stack of Xbox Ones in the local Mediamarkt too. PS4 was sold out, imported Xbox Ones were easily available but nobody was buying. Enough said.

Congrats again to Sony. Figured this is about where they'd be by now.

Pretty great considering the stand alone console has been completely sold out online in the US for 2/3 of the last month.

Redmoon

Great job Sony. Hope the momentum in general keeps up.

Also, would 9-10m figure be possible by E3? Would be one heck of a way and place to announce that number.

DirtyLarry

As a gamer who owns every major console out there and has no allegiance to any corporate entity this is fantastic news. We the gamer win here as it means there is incentive for MS to step things up, which in turn makes Sony to continue to step things up, and the cycle continues.
Competition is a very good thing when all is said and done. It forces companies to bring their A game to the table.
Nice.

As a gamer who owns every major console out there and has no allegiance to any corporate entity this is fantastic news. We the gamer win here as it means there is incentive for MS to step things up, which in turn makes Sony to continue to step things up, and the cycle continues.
Competition is a very good thing when all is said and done. It forces companies to bring their A game to the table.
Nice.

I am sure this will force Microsoft will do things previously thought unimaginable then at E3.

Jack cw

Didn't Sony sell less than a million in Feb? Also, did Patcher say they're making a million/month or 1.3?
Patcher believes many things and is basically never right. We hear from Sony, that whatever they produce is selling out. So, I doubt they could do 1.5 million in a bit more than 3 weeks. 1 million is doable and I believe they hit the 7 million mark on March 31st.
eXeál;103112993 said:
By sparing units until the launch of inFamous to counter the TitanFall effect?
They were sparing out units for Japan. I doubt that Infamous could sell that many more systems. The franchise isnt such a huge seller until now.

jelly

Jack Tretton walks on stage: "First to 10M wins".

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/189003/us-360-beats-wiips3-to-10-million/

Despite frequent news of Wii's global sales domination, the Xbox 360 has managed to hit the 10 million sales mark in the US ahead of its competition, according to Microsoft.

Reaching the milestone before both the Wii and PS3 in the States should secure the long-term current-gen victory for the 360, MS senior vice president, Don Mattrick, told Reuters.

"History has shown us that the first company to reach ten million in console sales wins the generation battle," stated Mattrick in a statement yesterday. Interesting fact there trivia fans.

NPD figures currently puts Wii on 8.8 million sales (and closing) in the US, while PS3 is sits on 4.1 million.

If only he was still there.

jaypah

Nice.

Agreed, assuming MS decides to go hard and compete. They're doing ok on the games front so far so I guess E3 will hold the rest of the cards. I just hope they don't try to use a gimmick like putting out a twerk video or something. I like Larry but I don't want to see him pop dat pussy, I want more games.

BadWolf

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/189003/us-360-beats-wiips3-to-10-million/

Despite frequent news of Wii's global sales domination, the Xbox 360 has managed to hit the 10 million sales mark in the US ahead of its competition, according to Microsoft.

Reaching the milestone before both the Wii and PS3 in the States should secure the long-term current-gen victory for the 360, MS senior vice president, Don Mattrick, told Reuters.

"History has shown us that the first company to reach ten million in console sales wins the generation battle," stated Mattrick in a statement yesterday. Interesting fact there trivia fans.

NPD figures currently puts Wii on 8.8 million sales (and closing) in the US, while PS3 is sits on 4.1 million.

If only he was still there.

PS3 was at 4.1 million when 360 was at 10 million?

Damn, Sony did one heck of a job catching up.

Jack cw

To be fair, 360 had a year had start, better price, software, online. Still amazing that Wii closed the 10 million gap in more or less a year.

jaypah

The videogame industry is so unpredictable. That said, Sony really did take great steps to turn it all around and they continued to make the right decisions going into the reveal/launch of the PS4. Hats off to them, they deserve these sales.

-Horizon-

Pretty amazing stuff Sony. Good job. They did every thing right with this system.
I'm just waiting on a lower price in a year or two because I have no money :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom