• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Price: $399/399/£349/¥44,980, no camera/move, launching October

Sure it does. I have one sitting on my desk at work, and I can look behind, left, right, and forward with no problem at all. I'm a little confused as to why you think otherwise...
(Obviously controllers are another issue)
The DK2 loses positional tracking the instant you turn around. Saying it did 360 degree tracking is objectively false.

It has always worked for me regardless of orientation. Maybe yours is faulty?
Positional tracking requires that the sensor sees the LEDs. There are no LEDs on the back of the DK2. Once the sensor loses sight, you lose positional tracking. This is not a matter of opinion.

Perhaps you mean rotational/orientation tracking?

Sorry if it has been answered already, but does anyone know if there will be some sort of Netflix experience for PSVR?

I may be stating the obvious here so sorry if this isn't the answer you're after but Netflix should work with cinematic mode allowing you to watch shows on a large virtual screen. As far as I'm aware all apps should work with cinematic mode. At least that's the impression I got. Cinematic mode is probably the best you'll get for Netflix as far as VR goes.

Gnilres

I may be stating the obvious here so sorry if this isn't the answer you're after but Netflix should work with cinematic mode allowing you to watch shows on a large virtual screen. As far as I'm aware all apps should work with cinematic mode. At least that's the impression I got. Cinematic mode is probably the best you'll get for Netflix as far as VR goes.

Essentially what I was asking. I know there is a version of Netflix VR where you are literally in a virtual room with a virtual TV I was wondering if there is something similar to that rather than a simple flat projection in empty VR space.

EDIT: Like this

store1.png

Dr.Acula

Banned
Isnt Occlus a single sensor as well? All the images Ive seen is a single sensor as far as I can tell, but I dont know all the details, so maybe not? Or is it easy to add or buy additional sensors?

Single with the headset, the controllers will come bundled with a second one. Devs said tracking works with one, but the 2nd sensor was needed to eliminate occlusion issues.

Essentially what I was asking. I know there is a version of Netflix VR where you are literally in a virtual room with a virtual TV I was wondering if there is something similar to that rather than a simple flat projection in empty VR space.

store1.png

Not yet. Netflix could always ship their own VR version of the app on PS4 which does, though.

Stike

Regarding Golem's control criticism, I think the games combat uses gestures to control the Golem. Obviously people are upset if motion isnt translated 1:1, but a super agile Golem wouldnt make sense either...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding Golem's control criticism, I think the games combat uses gestures to control the Golem. Obviously people are upset if motion isnt translated 1:1, but a super agile Golem wouldnt make sense either...

Imagine you are playing jabba the hutt in the new "the hutt experience - sim" and he moves his arm as fast as you do with move lol...

I'm really not impressed with Golem honestly.
I'm going to be all about racing, flight, mecha games (basicaly anything with a cockpit) and the party games with asynchronous multiplayer. The on-rails stuff I enjoy as well. Something like House of the Dead VR would be awesome.

Chris_C

Regarding the Gizmag article, it sounds like the journalist wasn't playing right. He seemed to expect 1-1 replication of movement in real time. The latest Giant Bomb video showcasing Golem makes it clear that while tracking is 1-1, the Golem moves slower than you... because it's a 20 foot tall stone monster. If you swing about rapidly, the Golem simply doesn't respond. It makes sense, but it sounds like people are having trouble understanding that you aren't the Golem, you're simply puppeteering it, and are subject to the laws of physics.

This isn't to say that Move is perfect, I owned 2 controllers and a navcon back when they were released and played a ton of games. When implemented correctly, they provide an astounding level of accuracy and speed. I'm a fairly good table tennis player and Sports Champions implementation of Table Tennis was able to capture every nuance of my ability.

On the subject of the PS4 not being as powerful as a Rift/Vive capable PC, we know from developer comments that the base-line spec is close enough that the difference is negligible. PC's however will always outpace consoles. That said, I've had a GearVR for a couple of months, and the visuals and quality of the experience are fantastic. I imagine PSVR will be orders of magnitude better, with the added benefit of hand and head tracking. I plan on waiting till a second revision of both Vive and Rift before jumping into PC VR.

TLZ

Banned
Yes you are correct, 1080p content that you watch won't be at full resolution, but rather a sub-HD subset.

What I understood from this thread is that I can use the PSVR as a monitor, or did I understand wrong?

I went and pre-ordered a few hours ago based on this since I thought this is worth it since I can use it as a second screen and VR. Cheaper than a second TV.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There would presumably be nothing stopping Sony releasing a second camera - or adapter to use another PlayStation camera in the future if 360 tracking becomes a de facto standard for motion controls. Or just plug into the front (ugh) as they are USB 3.

I think a lot depends on oculus touch. If that stays primarily forward facing, then you'll have the vive being the odd one out and the majority of headsets being forward facing - and developers would design accordingly. If (as I hope), valve lit a fire up their ass, and oculus go for a 360 tracking solution, then maybe Sony would consider it too

What I understood from this thread is that I can use the PSVR as a monitor, or did I understand wrong?

I went and pre-ordered a few hours ago based on this since I thought this is worth it since I can use it as a second screen and VR. Cheaper than a second TV.

I think you will see the screen the way you would when sitting on your couch in front of the TV. Like a virtual screen. At least that is the impression I got from a lot of posts about this cinematic mode.

I'm a casual gamer who has all the current next gen consoles and who has never been bothered with PC upgrades. My question is how ubiquitous this VR trend is going to be. How does the PSVR and Oculus Rift work in tandem with current consoles? I have no interest in souping up my PC because I'm not computer savvy enough nor have the desire to constantly have to upgrade my computer to play video games.

Will Oculus Rift be compatible with my Xbox One?

I'd like to know if the move to VR gaming 3 years into this current generation is going to work or if it's going to end up being akin to Playstation Move and Kinetic. I never jumped on board with the motion control fad, but I have to admit that I'm intrigued with VR.

However, will this be a legitimate step up, or will it end up being akin to the Sega CD, and emergent trend a few years ahead of its time, that is later supplanted by what has become the standard in disc driven format?

And if it is ultimately adopted, are gamers going to have to endure another five year dryspell period of experimental concepts before they're able to gain traction? I think of the Playstation One era, where for every Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil, you also had Jumping Flash, Destruction Derby, and Pandemonium.

Is it hyperbolic to assume that even if this technology is fully embraced this generation, true, full blown franchises won't take shape until the next generation.

GuyKazama

However, will this be a legitimate step up, or will it end up being akin to the Sega CD, and emergent trend a few years ahead of its time, that is later supplanted by what has become the standard in disc driven format?

This is the most likely scenario. Think of PSVR as the cheapest, lowest risk opportunity to try it out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm a casual gamer who has all the current next gen consoles and who has never been bothered with PC upgrades. My question is how ubiquitous this VR trend is going to be. How does the PSVR and Oculus Rift work in tandem with current consoles? I have no interest in souping up my PC because I'm not computer savvy enough nor have the desire to constantly have to upgrade my computer to play video games.

I'd like to know if the move to VR gaming 3 years into this current generation is going to work or if it's going to end up being akin to Playstation Move and Kinetic. I never jumped on board with the motion control fad, but I have to admit that I'm intrigued with VR.

And if it is ultimately adopted, are gamers going to have to endure another five year dryspell period of experimental concepts before they're able to gain traction? I think of the Playstation One era, where for every Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil, you also had Jumping Flash, Destruction Derby, and Pandemonium.

Is it hyperbolic to assume that even if this technology is fully embraced this generation, true, full blown franchises won't take shape until the next generation.

Jumping Flash was awesome.

And yes there will be lots of software iteration and experimentation. That's part of the fun of it for me

This is the most likely scenario. Think of PSVR as the cheapest, lowest risk opportunity to try it out.

Well, is this going to eventually supplant the current genre types in gaming the same way that 2D gaming has been phased out?

Alot of these VR games seem experimental -- kind of like what you'd play at a Disney theme park. I don't see anything on par with Last of Us being offered with this technology.

I have this troubling vision of having to endure another dry spell era. Looking back on the PSOne era, there really wasn't any true heavyweight killer apps until 1997 -- or anything that appealed to me personally. Castlevania, Resident Evil 2, Einhander, and Metal Gear Solid were my favorite games from that era. I really can't think of any other games from that era that stood out, aside from Final Fantasy VII and Tekken 2, which I never really cared for.

Still, I'm curious about this technology. I've always been a dedicated console gamer, but I've never taken to peripherals or hand helds. I'm not sure if this will be a good investment if this ends up being nothing more than a passing fad.

ClearData

Those are the questions I'm sure Occulus, Valve, and Sony would love to know answers to. Alas, no one knows what the future of VR looks like from the companies, to the devs, to the gamers. We are at the threshold of a medium that has struggled to thrive for some time. However, I don't think there have ever been so many major players behind VR before.

What you may have to ask yourself is if you are willing to pay $399, $599, or $799 to find out how this thing starts, or if you are better served waiting.

Now, as to the Rift. I believe it will support cinematic play of Xbox one games, however I do not believe Xbox supports VR games. So a Rift purchase might make little sense for you since you have no desire to build and maintain the PC required for it. If you do invest it sounds like you want a console solution and PSVR fits that bill. As for the games who knows when the VR killer app emerges. But I think a really diverse core of developers are working at it. A truly great game might not be too far off if VR touches off new innovations in gameplay. Take Rez Infinite for example. A title that can stimulate the senses in a way that wasn't possible before VR. Rez was a game you interfaced with through a TV screen. Now one can be within the experience.

Hasney

From the sell out thread:

GAME UK.

https://twitter.com/GAMEStJohns/status/710083399332007937
https://twitter.com/GAMEStJohns/status/710084710198861824

The first tweet looks to be removed but it said...

@iMahfoudh We've been told 6000 & at 9am this morning 3k had been ordered online overnight
— GAME LiverpoolStJohn (@GAMEStJohns) March 16, 2016

Assuming that Amazon likely got the same and then other smaller retailers like Zavvi and ShopTo less, this is going to be a modest launch, at least in Europe.

From the sell out thread:

Assuming that Amazon likely got the same and then other smaller retailers like Zavvi and ShopTo less, this is going to be a modest launch, at least in Europe.

It was probably just the initial wave for us hardcore nerds refreshing Amazon for hours after the reveal. I expect them to ramp up production and increase day 1 stock.

ZehDon

Well, is this going to eventually supplant the current genre types in gaming the same way that 2D gaming has been phased out?

Alot of these VR games seem experimental -- kind of like what you'd play at a Disney theme park. I don't see anything on par with Last of Us being offered with this technology.

I have this troubling vision of having to endure another dry spell era. Looking back on the PSOne era, there really wasn't any true heavyweight killer apps until 1997 -- or anything that appealed to me personally. Castlevania, Resident Evil 2, Einhander, and Metal Gear Solid were my favorite games from that era. I really can't think of any other games from that era that stood out, aside from Final Fantasy VII and Tekken 2, which I never really cared for...
Well, 2D gaming hasn't been phased out, and this is the first generation of VR, where things as intrinsic as moving haven't yet been figured out. We're learning to make VR fun, and that's going to be the bulk of this first wave of titles. You're not going to see The Last of Us VR, which launched for the eighth generation of consoles, for quite a while. Expectations like that are probably unrealistic. This generation is going to be about space ship simulators, driving cars, being astronauts, goofy fun, virtual tourism, the novelty of VR and experimenting. If you need literally one of the greatest games ever made to sell you on the potential, maybe just sit this generation out.

Well, 2D gaming hasn't been phased out, and this is the first generation of VR, where things as intrinsic as moving haven't yet been figured out. We're learning to make VR fun, and that's going to be the bulk of this first wave of titles. You're not going to see The Last of Us VR, which launched for the eighth generation of consoles, for quite a while. Expectations like that are probably unrealistic. This generation is going to be about space ship simulators, driving cars, being astronauts, goofy fun, virtual tourism, the novelty of VR and experimenting. If you need literally one of the greatest games ever made to sell you on the potential, maybe just sit this generation out.

But 2D gaming has been relegated to a niche market. It exists mainly on the hand held and IPad format these days. I haven't really seen any serious 2D offerings on a retail level for years, unless you're talking about Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

Will VR gaming be first person only, or will we eventually see games from the third person perspective? Every VR game I see right now seems strictly from the first person perspective. I even saw what looks like a Tomb Raider knock off in one of the videos. I'm open to new technology, but it was a long slog having to wait for the PS2/Xbox generation to arrive. I guess I can take solace in the fact that the standard gaming market seems strong enough to be developed in tandem with VR. PSOne and Saturn were released during the dying days of 16 bit. I believe that Chrono Trigger and Donkey Kong Country 2 were to the SNES what The Last of Us was to the PS3.

Hasney

It was probably just the initial wave for us hardcore nerds refreshing Amazon for hours after the reveal. I expect them to ramp up production and increase day 1 stock.

That might not be possible though. It's likely that the production was booked in months ago and you can't click a switch to get another line and hope your suppliers can do the same to produce more custom things for you. If it's possible, I'm sure they will instead of turn down peoples money. But as shown by Nintendo and Apple in the past, even if you know the demand is there way in advance, it's not always doable.

Did see someone else in this thread reference a PS rep who mentioned 12,000 units for the UK as a whole. That would line up to Game getting 6,000 nicely but would mean Amazon getting less.

On Amazon, PSVR is still the #1 item on the hourly charge, so if production can't be changed, hopefully the pre-Christmas second batch is enough.

That might not be possible though. It's likely that the production was booked in months ago and you can't click a switch to get another line and hope your suppliers can do the same to produce more custom things for you. If it's possible, I'm sure they will instead of turn down peoples money. But as shown by Nintendo and Apple in the past, even if you know the demand is there way in advance, it's not always doable.

I remember Sony saying the production lines are running and the headset being final, and that was back in November if I am not wrong. I'd really expect them to manufacture more than let's say 200000 units (including the US allotment) during almost a whole year.
Of course not PS4 levels of boatloads due to custom parts, but at least half of it.

store1.png

The only problem with this app is the resolution. It looks really poor on my S7 Edge. Once these displays get to the point where it looks like a real cinema I will be drooling

Hasney

What AAA studios have lined up for this format? Oculus and PSVR alike?

Rocksteady, Naughty Dog, Bethesda, etc.?

None, and they won't until it's proven.

I remember Sony saying the production lines are running and the headset being final, and that was back in November if I am not wrong. I'd really expect them to manufacture more than let's say 200000 units (including the US allotment) during almost a whole year.
Of course not PS4 levels of boatloads due to custom parts, but at least half of it.

Hm, yeah if it was really rolling since then I would probably expect more since that would have been when they were aiming for the first half of this year. If 12k units in the UK really does happen day 1, I wonder if something went on like a quality control issue or something.

None. Sony are paying EA to do a Battlefront version for PS VR, however.

Oh geez. So it's assembly line gaming for the time being then. Does anyone here foresee a true renaissance landscape coming out of this long term? And will the development cycle of standard games be disrupted much like it was back in 1995? I bought the PS1 on the day it was released, but I don't think I truly embraced 3D gaming until 1998. And even then, I knew that the visuals sucked on the PS1. Every character that spoke was literally a pantomime expression. Metal Gear Solid especially comes to mind as an example of a game whose ambitions outstripped what the PS1 was capable of -- visually speaking of course.

What will the loading screens be like? I know that the first initial games for the PS1 had dreadful load times. And the load times were just as bad in the latter games too,

Hasney

Oh geez. So it's assembly line gaming for the time being then. Does anyone here foresee a true renaissance landscape coming out of this long term? And will the development cycle of standard games be disrupted much like it was back in 1995?

If the numbers are there, they will come. Ubi are already experimenting and will probably do bigger things if this sells. It's going to be a long road though, if they jump in, I'm not expecting to see anything released until the end of the gen.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oh geez. So it's assembly line gaming for the time being then. Does anyone here foresee a true renaissance landscape coming out of this long term?
You ask for AAA and then talk about assemble line gaming.

That is so confusing. Huge budgets means you design very safe, why would you associate a break-through in the media with the exact opposite motivation.

If the numbers are there, they will come. Ubi are already experimenting and will probably do bigger things if this sells. It's going to be a long road though, if they jump in, I'm not expecting to see anything released until the end of the gen.

So this is going to be PS1 all over again -- at least development cycle wise. I'm kind of disheartened. How many years will it take for this technology to arrive in an era that is awash AAA productions on the level of Bioshock, Last of Us, Fallout, etc..? Are we looking at another decade or so, assuming that this technology catches on?

You ask for AAA and then talk about assemble line gaming.

That is so confusing. Huge budgets means you design very safe, why would you associate a break-through in the media with the exact opposite motivation.

Assembly line I'm referring to Call of Duty and arena type games. Games that are dumped each year, but sporting a new coat of paint. I know these games have AAA budgets, but they're not on the level of other franchises, where installment are spaced out considerably longer.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have a projector setup, so the camera needs to sit pretty far away from the hardware. If I can daisy chain extensions that's... Well much better than right now, at least.
Better prepare to move the PS4 much closer to the camera now. Just because you can connect an extension cable doesn't mean that it will work.

There are limits to signals and the PS4 cam is not known as something that can be extended a lot.

Occam

In the mean time, the second batch of Amazon Germany sold out. The only reason it took a little longer this time was because they didn't announce it was up and they used a different ASIN (which makes no sense).

PJV3

In the mean time, the second batch of Amazon Germany sold out. The only reason it took a little longer this time was because they didn't announce it was up and they used a different ASIN (which makes no sense).

October is going to be interesting, the launch might create a little VR frenzy but the stock will already be pre ordered til next year.

I want more videos of Germans going crazy like the PS4 launch.

Top Bottom