• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

TheBomb

People can say what they want, but Sony says things when it’s ready. One Xbox show has all people worked up for some games coming out years away, and some coming to other platforms.

nial

Gold Member
8? This year? Well you’re gonna have to help me on that. Concord, astrobot… is silent hill 2 considered Sony? I’m at a loss of anything else 2024 but again, PC. Probably ain’t buying ragnarok. Ain’t interested in the inevitable Spider-Man 2 either.
Sony is publishing:
-Helldivers 2
-MLB The Show 24 (yeah yearly game whatever, this is not a list war or anything)
-Rise of the Ronin
-Stellar Blade
-Concord
-Astro Bot
-Until Dawn
-LEGO Horizon Adventures
And I know Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside were confirmed for this year, but they seem to be MIA for some reason.
You look to be PC-focused, but can't you do at least a bit of effort into researching this stuff? It would be like someone claiming that Valve hasn't made any games since 2011, ignoring all the stuff that they have INDEED made since then.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Literally no one says that they are not focusing on GAAS, but...

yes, you kinda implied that.
My bad I suppose,I meant it as in their focus has been very gaas centric and not like them.

Which they have been,Concord looks like Fortnite at home,they clearly are following trends when it comes to GAAS.Not setting them like they did with other genres in the PS3/PS4 days.

Ofc not all games would be gaas,majority won't but what's there is clearly impeeding Sony's output this generation because of it. Naughty Dog would already have their first real PS5 game out by now was it not for Sony forcing them to make Factions a gaas for example.

The Bungie buyout imo changed Sony for the worse.

I'm glad they still have studios like Team Asobi making games like Astrobot that bring me back to the PS3 days.

Three

What was wrong about my statement?

Do they not focus on gaas? Did they not issue a statement about wanting more gaas games in their portfolio? Helldivers 2,Concord,Marathon,Naughty Dog wasting 5 years on a GAAS Factions that got canceled?

Did I say ALL their games would be gaas? I said they are chasing gaas...which they are.
Wanting more live service games in their portfolio isn't a "Focus on gaas". Coming from a revered show that had two once amazing single player games turn into a focus on gaas games in Elder Scrolls online and Fallout 76, adding Gaas games to the portfolio isn't an issue clearly.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Wanting more live service games in their portfolio isn't a "Focus on gaas". Coming from a revered show that had two once amazing single player games turn into a focus on gaas games in Elder Scrolls online and Fallout 76 adding Gaas games to the portfolio isn't an issue clearly.
Thing is...the revered show isn't revered cuz of those games,in fact when those games show up that's when most people go take a piss.

Taur007

Gears, Fable, South of Mid, Avowed
and as of right now....you are wrong!!!

and as of right now....you are wrong!!!

You know she's cheating on you but shes just waiting for the right time to break the news

Buggy Loop

You look to be PC-focused,

walter white GIF

You just realized this?

Is this a surprise to anyone on neogaf for the past years? My perspective is for PC. I think I only mentioned it 2 times in my original post that triggered you in just a few paragraphs. I’m judging the plate that is offered to me on PC. I tasted all of Sony’s blockbusters on PC and it actually puzzled me more than anything that it’s so different than my experience I had on psx and ps2. All these years of seeing the hype for their games, domination of sales, I bought almost all of them, and left with just… more questions than answers at what happened. Like I said, for the most part, it pushed me away from even considering the sequels whenever they’ll release on PC.

Microsoft games might be fluff and score bad ultimately, hell I know it won’t be blockbusters for most of them, FFS I have faith in Avowed since obsidian and pillars of eternity (which I loved) in 3D and I know that I’m in the minority on GAF, but as of now, my wishlist has a lot of their games 🤷‍♂️

TheMan

To, it’s less of an issue with showing games early or late. I’m more interested in whether the games look fun, and to me the Xbox conference showed off a lot of games that looked fun to me

Romulus

That in the grand scheme of things, our anecdotal feelings don't matter. No matter how much you enjoyed what they had to show, if it doesn't translate into a true blow to their competition, it was nothing more than a good show. Which is very much why the reaction to the past shows matter in this discussion.

Yeah I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's going to take down sony. Sony is one good show away from whatever momentum xbox captured here.

tmlDan

XGS games? which ones
COD, Doom, SoT, Diablo 4 ++ expansions.

idc how you personally define it, XBS isn't a thing anymore. They're xbox studios and the games are coming to PS, more were blatantly hinted by Phil in the post interview.

You can deny it all you want.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeah I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's going to take down sony. Sony is one good show away from whatever momentum xbox captured here.
The suggestions haven't been "taking down Sony", but they've been hyperbolic and this happens every time Microsoft has a decent - good show.

This show, like the last good show, won't change anything. Yes, it's good to know more games are coming.

nial

Gold Member
walter white GIF

You just realized this?

Is this a surprise to anyone on neogaf for the past years?
I mean, I have realized that before, I just thought it was more appropriate wording. :messenger_confused:
But the rest is no excuse, really, especially since Sony is just porting their bigger games over to PC, and heck, you even still manage to have stuff like Helldivers 2, Returnal, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, LEGO Horizon Adventures, or Until Dawn coming there as well.
But to my whole point, SIE's 2024 lineup is truly a slap in the face to the "Sony only makes Western AAA blockbusters" crowd. :messenger_grinning:

Romulus

The suggestions haven't been "taking down Sony", but they've been hyperbolic and this happens every time Microsoft has a decent - good show.

This show, like the last good show, won't change anything. Yes, it's good to know more games are coming.

I don't know what the statements have been, but anything positive short of Xbox taking lead of the industry I'm fine with. Feels like an actual breath of fresh air vs previous years bullshit hype. I've seen them all and this one is definitely different. Your assessment is its just another good show, my argument is that haven't had a good show in 10 years.

Taur007

You know she's cheating on you but shes just waiting for the right time to break the news
No identity xbox game will ever launch on PS, bookmark it, no halo, gears, forza, fable, hell i doubt you guys even get perfect dark.
  • Avowed: yes (1 year later) have fun waiting
  • Indiana jones: yes (1 year)
  • Hellblade 2: yes (1 year)
  • Blade: Nope (unless disney rework pub deal, who knows)
  • State of Decay 3: Nope
  • Clockwork Revolution: maybe, leaning toward yes with 1 year wait
  • South of midnight: Nope
you're a fool if you think all XGS games are coming, they will be on a case by case basis

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't know what the statements have been, but anything positive short of Xbox taking lead of the industry I'm fine with. Feels like an actual breath of fresh air vs previous years bullshit hype. I've seen them all and this one is definitely different. Your assessment is its just another good show, my argument is that haven't had a good show in 10 years.
Fair enough. Can't fault people for enjoying something!

Sorcerer

It's taken Xbox years to have a show this good. This showcase is more of an anomaly at this point. The question is can Microsoft keep it up, and after this run of games are we headed for more years worth of dry spells?. Sony may have slowed down recently but I doubt it's anything to be concerned about. Especially since most of the games will show up for the Playstation anyway. Sony fans are living large compared to Xbox fans.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Gold Member
The problem is and fanboys should know this that this is what happens when Microsoft buys publishers and have half the studios more then what sony has.. for sony to bring it there ms standards sony studios gotta atleast have two 1st party games between them to match Microsoft offering
"Half the studios more"

Do you mean double? 🫠

kfpkiller

No identity xbox game will ever launch on PS, bookmark it, no halo, gears, forza, fable, hell i doubt you guys even get perfect dark.
you're a fool if you think all XGS games are coming, they will be on a case by case basis
You’re in for a rude awakening.

Taur007

COD, Doom, SoT, Diablo 4 ++ expansions.

idc how you personally define it, XBS isn't a thing anymore. They're xbox studios and the games are coming to PS, more were blatantly hinted by Phil in the post interview.

You can deny it all you want.
so 1 activision game and 2 bethesda games both games that were already on PS? are you serious? wake me up when a core identity Xbox game is announced for PS (halo, gears , forza, fable) hell where's that starfield port everyone here swear was coming? Xbox games are going to PS at the same rate PS games are going to PC, which is very slow

It's appropriate that DOOM is their first day one launch. Sorry bro :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

EDMIX

Gold Member
Why? Xbox is going to release those games on Playstation anyway. Lol
I know right.

Sony has no ode to show anything early to do shit.

Let their teams cook and show when you have something to talk about.

Look at Fable, we saw that shit last time and now people are making a lot of assumptions about it shown again...soooooo maybe it makes sense to stfu on these types of things and just show when its a year out or something.

People love to hate on Ubisoft, but maybe they got the right idea just showing shit within a year or so from release. Gamers care about what they will be playing soonish, showing a bunch of hot games right now, might mean very little when the dust settles.

tmlDan

so 1 activision game and 2 bethesda games both games that were already on PS? are you serious? wake me up when a core identity Xbox game is announced for PS (halo, gears , forza, fable) hell where's that starfield port everyone here swear was coming? Xbox games are going to PS at the same rate PS games are going to PC, which is very slow
are you gonna keep continuing to ignore what Phil said? just wait. Book mark this if you want.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
We are more than halfway into the gen, lets stop with the excuse of announcing games too early. The fact is Sony has mismanaged its game output this gen and thats about it.
Are you saying this in general or just dismissing all of the cross gen stuff? Because to this point, Microsoft has been far worse in mismanaging its game output.

Shows reveal new games. Games are a huge part of why people purchase devices. Doesn't mean xbox will shoot to number 1 or threaten anyone's favorite device.

Xbox has consistently had good videogame showcases over the past few years but what about these shows is 'swinging the momentum'?

Xbox hardware has fallen off a cliff, GamePass numbers are not that great. So exactly what momentum has swung with this new videogame showcase?

Also this bolded part is a bit annoying. I constantly see this on the forum. It's something i thought we'd have moved away from. You're allowed to offer an opinion on Xbox or PS without resorting this console warrior nonsense. Keep the forums clean of this shit.

From the last State of Play to that Xbox show? Yeah

Until the next Sony showcase anyhow

Fall Spinning GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos's Funniest Home Videos

From where I'm sitting PS is still doing well on both hardware and software side so not sure what momentum has swung because of a Xbox show showcasing games coming out in the following year or two.

Last edited:
From where I'm sitting PS is still doing well on both hardware and software side so not sure what momentum has swung because of a Xbox show showcasing games coming out in the following year or two.
I personally think Xbox has raised their game a little as there are actual games from that show I truly want to play and if I am being totally honest as of right now Astrobot is the only PS game I want to play

But like my GIF thats likely to change if we get a banger PS showcase later this year showing off the PS5 Pro and some killer games on it

I personally think Xbox has raised their game a little as there are actual games from that show I truly want to play and if I am being totally honest as of right now Astrobot is the only PS game I want to play

But like my GIF thats likely to change if we get a banger PS showcase later this year showing off the PS5 Pro and some killer games on it

I get that but could that not have been said about Xbox a few years ago when they first had the first Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2, Fable reveals?

This is what I mean when i ask what momentum has swung for a videogame show. We knew these games were coming years ago.

An example of swinging momentum would be GTA6 reveal on Xbox Series X and that game being exclusive to that platform. You can bet your pink ass there'd be overnight preorders going through the roof for both hardware and software on Xbox.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Microsoft buys companies: The momentum is swinging!

Microsoft wins Metacritic Publisher of the Year: The momentum is swinging!

Microsoft announces and releases literally any game: The momentum is swinging!

Microsoft has a good show: The momentum is swinging!

*Looks back at how this generation has actually gone*

40nzpd.png

Lambogenie

They should probably either start have mini Showcases that are about upcoming things and Showcase XL that's got bangers up to 2 years out.

Or just include a mix of things, which I'd personally prefer.

They must have really truly felt Concord and Until Dawn were the bangers. I couldn't give a flying toss about either, as many couldn't.

Top Bottom