• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

Euler007

It's funny to see PlayStation fans go so crazy over games they considered crap, up until the point they "might" get them on ps5. Ms got u guys roped now. Ur thinking every game will be on ps5

Lots (most?) of us have a PC and can already play most of the current games, and most of those announced. They can announce Starfield for PS5 tomorrow if they want, it won't change the fact that I didn't even play it on Gamepass because there's lots better than that game in my backlog.

OrionNebula

It's funny to see PlayStation fans go so crazy over games they considered crap
Video Game Judge GIF by CAPCOM

More ‘’stolen’’ than ‘’crap’’

I have now opened the Gates of Hell 😆
Fire Elmo GIF

Rudius

After the trailers of Gears of War E-Day and Doom The Dark Ages I must tip my hat to Microsoft. The only thing of comparable quality, albeit very different in style, Sony showed was Astrobot, but that not having VR support was a kick to my balls.

PeteBull

Again mate not arguing with u , but it's all inconvenient for a guy who doesn't own and use a PC , who just wants to sit on his , couch and relax while playing games.
Every other port on PC is a bad port , shit tons of cheaters , and again the inconveniece of windows , drivers and not dealing with it is why I prefer a series x.
And more so for 400 dollars u can't build a PC that can compete with a series x
Now don't post links of used PC parts in justifying u can make a PC in 400 dollars that can compete with a series x
U are free to prefer what u prefer, and like i said, i didnt post any 400$ used pc part list but proper all new parts which was almost 800$ total, that is current equivalent to series X power using pc components.

Im just trying to debunk that "inconvienience" argument about windows/drivers/playing with mouse + keyboard here, i played on pc in the 90s and i play on it now, and landscape changed a lot vs those times, pc ports are in most cases at least on pair with console versions, usually even better, u can play all the games using joypad, u dont have to reinstal windows every 2 months(or even 2 years), dont have to spend hours upon hours to find optimal settings for ur system for each game, either game smartly detects what u got and adjusts on its own, or u spend 5-10minutes on the net/yt and see optimal settings guide/vid there, its basically plug and play, kinda like current gen consoles, and yup, pc has gamepass too.

800$ price is legit, but u get for it much more than current official 450$ price of series X, aka mashine that can be upgraded and mashine that has access to plethora more games, including playstation exclusives, in other words u pay more but u get more too, choice is always urs in the end.

Last edited:
It's funny to see PlayStation fans go so crazy over games they considered crap, up until the point they "might" get them on ps5. Ms got u guys roped now. Ur thinking every game will be on ps5

They were crap though. It's the previously multiplat stuff from Bethesda and Activision that playstation players want to play. Like doom for example, which was never considered crap.

splattered

Considering how many of those titles have been in development for 5 years already, and aren't scheduled until 2025 it wasn't an especially impressive showing in my opinion.

So when Sony has a big showing this fall amd all their big major titles are still a couple years out you're going to say the same thing?

splattered

They were crap though. It's the previously multiplat stuff from Bethesda and Activision that playstation players want to play. Like doom for example, which was never considered crap.

Not true, I've seen a ton of people online port begging for Halo and Gears and other titles.

Last edited:
Do you not realise that Microsoft have actually won here, you seriously don’t see it? Do you actually believe that selling the most hardware is what matters here? It matters to a degree for brand name purposes, so Xbox just said fuck it, we will launch in YOUR platforms, triple our fanbase and skip the hard work while you do the rest of the work.

I mean, you guys literally don’t see what’s happening here. You guys said fuck you Xbox were not coming to you, so Xbox said fuck you back and came to YOU instead.

Xbox literally just tapped in to Sonys market share without even having to beat them with hardware. The tools in here still actually believe selling the hardware matters. Why does it matter when people already have the hardware you launch on? Pure profit as long as the games do well.
The mental gymnastics.

iu

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
That's my point.

A lot of SP games were shown that didn't have big selling IP attached.

Receipe for disaster.
I know this is your whole thing, but there is some rationale to it. Currently, it's harder than ever to launch new IP. Everyone is growing more conservative with their development risk, and consumers are with their purchases. That can be risk aversion, but eventually that will catch up to you as well and become a huge problem. If you put all your eggs in one basket, eventually people will get tired of that basket and then you lose everything all at once. Some of these games are clearly more mid tier stuff like South of Midnight or Avowed. But they will be tied to a sub service that has Call of Duty, Doom, tons of FPS content all shown. The idea is to maybe bring in mainstream consumer taste, but allow them to check out stuff they may not know they like risk free. That's about the only path left to try and slow down this trend of consumer consolidation behind existing IP only. Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. But I sure hope it does. If it doesn't work, eventually the big bets you're talking about will also turn sour. Not even Marvel could keep up demand indefinitely. At some point you have to place weirder bets just for survival.

Astrobot was my highlight in all the presentations. So I am not too mad about everything. I guess if the PS Pro is coming this year, Sony will have a bigger and better showcase and they just left the E3 rhytm entirely. But, shots have been fired, and Sony probably should have had more. Maybe just add a second thing like state of play with another title with third party games not coming soon. Those which inflated the MS showing.

Bond007

What i see is XBOX blew their load - cause they needed to have a good show.
Sony hasn't had to do that for better or worse and have relied on great games thus far Helldivers, Stellar Blade, FF. Done a great job filling a gap while waiting for the big names.

Id imagine later this year we will have a greater outlook of Sony going into 2025 and the tune will change. Probably around the time Indiana Jones comes out or any Fall hyped xbox game to kill any sort of steam.

Not true, I've seen a ton of people online port begging for Halo and Gears and other titles.

The point is that Microsoft poor game record over the last decade still exists. ps fanboys are trolling about Microsoft going 3rd party with those port begs. They don't really care about those games. They just want to console war and troll xbox fans about it. There's only really a handful that would actually be desirable and yeah, the first 3 halo and gears games are in that list. Great games from an era long gone.

Humdinger

Gold Member
From where I'm sitting PS is still doing well on both hardware and software side so not sure what momentum has swung because of a Xbox show showcasing games coming out in the following year or two.

Depends on what "momentum" means. If you're talking about sales momentum, clearly no.

He may be talking about "momentum" in terms of media perception and Xbox owner morale, though -- in other words, MS's image in the press, what gamers are saying, the current "buzz," how Xbox owners are feeling, etc.

If that's what he means by "momentum," he has a point. Xbox was at very low ebb before this, probably its lowest ever. It was just bad news after bad news. Xbox fans were demoralized, gamers were fed up with them, the press was almost all negative. This conference did turn that around. Xbox fans' morale has been restored, media reception has been enthusiastic, and gamer reception has been overall very positive.

Of course, none of that means that sales momentum will change. That remains to be seen. Making the media narrative more positive and uplifting Xbox fans' spirits is one thing (or two things), but increasing GP or console sales is another. And these perceptual/emotional effects are always temporary. It reminds me of how people would crow about a particular company "winning E3," but then a few months later, it was back to bitching and moaning about them.

NEbeast

It was a great showcase from Xbox which I wasn't expecting at all, with a lot of different looking games for all kinds of gamers. Fans are right to give Sony some crap after that god awful showing they had last week.

I'm sure Sony will have something up their sleeves for later in the year (I hope so at least), but it better not just be a pro console reveal. I want to see a great lineup of different types of games, not just more Marvel bullshit.
It's much easier to have a good showcase when you're showing games from what used to be 3rd party publishers, that are still coming to Playstation. This doom and gloom cycle happens every fucking generation, but there is only one of the two that are struggling to sell hardware.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What i see is XBOX blew their load - cause they needed to have a good show.
Sony hasn't had to do that for better or worse and have relied on great games thus far Helldivers, Stellar Blade, FF. Done a great job filling a gap while waiting for the big names.
Sony's done this in the past too. Like that year they announced Last Guardian, Shenmue, and FF7 Remake and none of those games came out for years. It's a good trick and it works.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I know this is your whole thing, but there is some rationale to it. Currently, it's harder than ever to launch new IP. Everyone is growing more conservative with their development risk, and consumers are with their purchases. That can be risk aversion, but eventually that will catch up to you as well and become a huge problem. If you put all your eggs in one basket, eventually people will get tired of that basket and then you lose everything all at once. Some of these games are clearly more mid tier stuff like South of Midnight or Avowed. But they will be tied to a sub service that has Call of Duty, Doom, tons of FPS content all shown. The idea is to maybe bring in mainstream consumer taste, but allow them to check out stuff they may not know they like risk free. That's about the only path left to try and slow down this trend of consumer consolidation behind existing IP only. Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. But I sure hope it does. If it doesn't work, eventually the big bets you're talking about will also turn sour. Not even Marvel could keep up demand indefinitely. At some point you have to place weirder bets just for survival.
I think this post would be really reasonable if it were written in 2015 / 2016. However, the last 7 or 8 years have continuously trended opposite this direction.

*GAAS continues to get more and more popular.
*3 - 6 AAA SP games per year absorb a higher and higher percentage of sales.
*GamePass growth has stagnated with Phil Spencer saying it will never be more than 10 - 15% of the market.

The people crowning XBox for the greatest showcase of all time like to ignore these realities. That showcase also ignored those realities. It makes sense that the two groups attracted one another but reality tends not to care.

saintjules

I said this earlier. This is the beauty of owning all Consoles.

Nearly 4 years into the generation, you would find a way to have the platforms to play the games you want.

I think this post would be really reasonable if it were written in 2015 / 2016. However, the last 7 or 8 years have continuously trended opposite this direction.

*GAAS continues to get more and more popular.
*3 - 6 AAA SP games per year absorb a higher and higher percentage of sales.
*GamePass growth has stagnated with Phil Spencer saying it will never be more than 10 - 15% of the market.

The people crowning XBox for the greatest showcase of all time like to ignore these realities. That showcase also ignored those realities. It makes sense that the two groups attracted one another but reality tends not to care.
You are forgetting they had a whole 40 minute section for a GAAS title, that did all they could to hype it up.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Returnal is a smaller indie type game that fits in my couple of smaller game exceptions, you are right about sm2 i forgot that one was not on ps4 but its not huge game either or massive departure from the previous entries.
Still waiting for Sonys "next gen" showcase, what they released so far has only given a glimpse into what could be a true next gen AAA showcase

Say what you will about Killzone Shadow Fall, but that was a launch game (or launch window cant remember) with the next gen wow factor

All of us are waiting on the bolded. It's my biggest issue with Jim Ryan when he ran Playstation. He didn't want for Playstation to show their hand too early for whatever reason. PS used to show their BIG AAA games 2-3 years early. But now everything is shown within 12 months of it being released and that's BORING!!!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Seems pretty simple from an optics perspective; despite Sony's new approach to marketing, during this time of year gamers still expect some form of traditionally held conferences.

Microsoft being the only one doing one gives them a nice brand uptick because their competitor isn't showing us jack shit. The media hates this because they don't have the spectacle of an E3 like conference competition to report on and 'hardcore' gamers feel ripped off because Sony stopped giving them E3 Christmas presents once a year.

I'd imagine 3rd parties have to be equally bummed, because Sony no longer having a stage means they don't either. One way or the other, they need a place to showcase their games, and if Microsoft's show is the only game in town, then they 'win' by default. If Sony wont offer a show then Microsoft gets the initial marketing with the games shown being associated with their platform.

That said, while Microsoft being the only one with a conference does pose some risks for Sony from a temporary marketing stand point, at least with hardcore gamers and media types, it might not be as much as you think. Sony are obviously aware of these things, you can bet your ass they have spread sheets somewhere with a cost/benefit analysis on this shit. It sucks for us, I personally hate it, but they have clearly determined that putting tons of games in a single show is just less effective than marketing them apart from each other and much closer to release.

Despite the temporary 'win' for Microsoft, Sony maybe the smart ones in all this if the numbers are anything to go by. They seem to be killing it as far as hardware sales are concerned and their first party games have blown up in recent years compared to prior gens. Plus we all know that 90% of the games shown at Microsoft's event will also be on PlayStation, so the event is almost free marketing for Sony. Microsoft pays for the marketing for both their own multiplat games, and their partners games, but the in the end the games ultimately sell more on Sony's platform.

Still wish we had a better road map of what they are working but they have clearly gone the route of Nintendo. I sadly think that ship has sailed.

I think they will have a good showcase when they show off the PS5 Pro. That's when they'll feel like the old Playstation. At least for the next 6-12 months. But a lack of a clear roadmap of Sony's 1st party games between now and 2026 is VERY disturbing.

SteadyEvo

Why? Xbox is going to release those games on Playstation anyway. Lol
Y’all acting like game developers don’t want their game played by as many people as possible 🙄

Great idea! Let’s limit the number of games we sell. That’s really beneficial! Derp

Bond007

Sony's done this in the past too. Like that year they announced Last Guardian, Shenmue, and FF7 Remake and none of those games came out for years. It's a good trick and it works.

It sure does- i like to personally know what is 1-2yrs out.
But people complained about announcing too early. Companies pulled back- so now we get announcements closer to release to minimize the wait and internal pressures. Rightfully so, this method is also valid.
Just seems like Microsoft went the old route to drive up hype they deperately need while Sony isnt exactly in that position today.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It sure does- i like to personally know what is 1-2yrs out.
But people complained about announcing too early. Companies pulled back- so now we get announcements closer to release to minimize the wait and internal pressures. Rightfully so, this method is also valid.
Just seems like Microsoft went the old route to drive up hype they deperately need while Sony isnt exactly in that position today.
pretty much. I am sure if Sony wanted to, they could have announced GOT 2, whatever singleplayer game Naughty Dog is working on, the Ratchet & Clank that Insomniac is (probably) doing after Rift Apart, all that shit. Maybe that would have generated hype but is that what we really want? Maybe.

Bond007

pretty much. I am sure if Sony wanted to, they could have announced GOT 2, whatever singleplayer game Naughty Dog is working on, the Ratchet & Clank that Insomniac is (probably) doing after Rift Apart, all that shit. Maybe that would have generated hype but is that what we really want? Maybe.

I agree.
I would also say- people are getting to the point where, yea we need some announcements. People want to know what's in the oven. 2025 is shaping up to be a massive 1st party year for them.

Mr Moose

I'm a PlayStation fan, I'm not going crazy over any of the games I've seen/played from Xbox.

I played Hellblade II, it wasn't very good.
From the small (opening part) of Starfield that I played, it seemed OK. Flying is confusing. I need to play it more to form a better opinion on it. I wish 0 wasn't heal, that's what I use to take screenshots.
I should check out Horizon before my sub ends.

I have no issue with people who are excited about the games they saw. Everyone is different.

But to act like that wasn't a complete dud showcase in terms of market impact is astounding.
Big impact stuff doesn’t come as often as you would think.

Maybe Everwild or something. I am sure such titles need lot more work than normal.

fallingdove

can't you say the same with most franchises on all platforms? E.g.:
  • Spider-man: Sony purchased Insomniac ~2018?
  • TLOU: Sony purchased Naughty Dog... whenever that was..?
Nah, these were homegrown franchises developed by companies that had already been acquired by Sony.

The Xbox DNA (hell - the Microsoft DNA) is to purchase a company/IP after it has been developed and shows promise or profitability. I can’t think of many more Xbox games that were developed internally and went on to be critical/commercial successes. Age of Empires and Flight Simulator maybe?

Where as Sony has been responsible for 20+ successful homegrown IPs over 5 generations.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nah, these were homegrown franchises developed by companies that had already been acquired by Sony.

The Xbox DNA (hell - the Microsoft DNA) is to purchase a company/IP after it has been developed and shows promise or profitability. I can’t think of many more Xbox games that were developed internally and went on to be critical/commercial successes. Age of Empires and Flight Simulator maybe?

Where as Sony has been responsible for 20+ successful homegrown IPs over 5 generations.
Sony also has a long relationship going back to literally the PSX with both Insomniac and Naughty Dog. Microsoft had a similar relationship to companies like Ensemble and Lionhead, who they shut down later. They also shut down the team that made Flight Sim, but they were internal (the first MSFS was like, 1985 or 1987 or something). Any new games in those franchises are from different studios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom