• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

Deerock71

Festival GIF by hero0fwar

RGB'D

Yeah I use PC but I don't spend all my time wondering why people who bought Playstations didn't buy $1k computers instead
I don't either. That's quite a stretch. Just asked why he would stop at Ps5Pro when having all the games was important... would be better off having a PC. But you do you...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Big impact stuff doesn’t come as often as you would think.

Maybe Everwild or something. I am sure such titles need lot more work than normal.
The lack of attempt is what's concerning. It was a mass of games that wont sell 5 million copies.

Concord could flop, but it could very well nestle itself among the top 3 or 4 hero shooters over the next 5+ years.

One company is making smart gambles, the other still thinks it's 2014. People ignoring the obvious strategic blunder is nuts.

Last edited:
If sony's show was mostly multiplats, I think they would get a ton of backlash about a lack of exclusives. but because the bar for MS has been so lowered, it's now considered a good move.
No matter how you slice it, it was an uncharacteristically strong showing. Particularly gameplay footage of Perfect Dark and Fable. But there were a half dozen highlights at least that were very strong, all in one show. It was a solid B+, even taking into account lower expectations due to all the bad press, and years-long delays of games since 2020.

Reminded me of a strong E3, circa 2017 or 2014. Back in the "good 'ol days".

Last edited:

squallheart

Watched the conference and don't understand everyone's praise nothing looked appealing to me except expedition. I think that's why I never could get into Xbox their games don't attract me. Don't get me wrong, sony isn't doing any better I'm thinking this is going to be my last sony console and I'm switching full time to pc as I feel sony has lost their way.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There has been a CoD every year since 2005. I don't see Activision changing that any time soon.

It's not being run by Activision anymore. MS is the daddy now. Do you remember how many resources it took to get a COD game out every year? No way MS keeps that pace. Too many resources from too many other studios.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's not being run by Activision anymore. MS is the daddy now. Do you remember how many resources it took to get a COD game out every year? No way MS keeps that pace. Too many resources from too many other studios.

Not having a CoD game annually would mean a loss of billion(s) in revenue, they have a lot more reasons to keep the train going as it is instead of the other way around.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I don't either. That's quite a stretch. Just asked why he would stop at Ps5Pro when having all the games was important... would be better off having a PC. But you do you...

He was commenting on PS stepping up the hype train vs Xbox, so the context was trading blows in the console market.

The lack of attempt is what's concerning. It was a mass of games that wont sell 5 million copies.

Concord could flop, but it could very well nestle itself among the top 3 or 4 hero shooters over the next 5+ years.

One company is making smart gambles, the other still thinks it's 2014. People ignoring the obvious strategic blunder is nuts.
MS never goes for top selling stuff.

Should be clear by now.

They can turn Halo / Gears into massive titles. Those franchises have the goodwill.

Instead they choose to cater to a core, dedicated but small fanbase.

They have good games coming like venom next year ghost 2 and wolverine in 2026, but I do think they are bit thin on big releases, with half of studios working on gass titles. They are hoping third party will fill in the gaps. This is where Xbox really needs to step up its games and stop day one pc games, and go Xbox only for next 5 years, then they really could make a dent on the PlayStation.

Last edited:
Not having a CoD game annually would mean a loss of billion(s) in revenue, they have a lot more reasons to keep the train going as it is instead of the other way around.

I would be shocked if MS let COD skip a year. I don't believe for one second they will let that happen. They would hire more contractors or pull teams from other studios in order to avoid that.

The overreaction is amusing. Not even a PlayStation guy and the smoke being blown is funny and sadly all too predictable after what happened pre Hellblade 2.

Put it this way, I wish Microsoft had delivered even half of what Sony has the last few years.

I’m sure they have good stuff coming in the next few months for their fans.

Last edited:

mnkl13

i think this showcase was also for the playstation owners... cause they are the ones sustaining the gamepass day one releases...who else is going to pay for the games?

The mental gymnastics.

iu
What am I losing though lol? I can still play Xbox games as always, I just no longer need to buy their console…

Also, with PlayStation players now funding Xbox, It guarantees that they just keep pumping out games that I want to play. I’m no longer trapped behind the exclusivity and have to buy a £450 device.

Meanwhile, you still do 🤣 I already have a PC so now I have Xbox games, PlayStation games, all the PC games and a switch for Nintendo.

You see, I bought an Xbox because I liked Xbox games. I didn’t buy it for the dashboard or party chat, I bought cause I could only play them there until now.

Funny to see though that the top games for both PS5 & PS4 this month are Xbox first party games 🫢 I’m just glad the majority of PS players playing these games are just enjoying good games and not being a brand warrior such as yourselves.

Go cry some more.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
yes add halo and gears too
Depending on how far you go back in time, everything's an acquisition. By that logic, Sony doesn't have any "own" game franchises either. They entered the console market in the 90s. I'm not sure what Nintendo needed to do in order to start a console business, but they sure as hell didn't allocate their bean counters or secretaries to program for the NES.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
MS trampled sony
Now it's just a matter of time for the next Nintendo Direct to humiliate them both 😄

You mean like the first Playstation when toppled Nintendo in the home console market with FFVII?

Yep, the next Mario Kart 8 hyper Deluxe ++ will be so humiliating. That and Metroid 4, next time will be the one.

JackMcGunns

What’s an Xbox franchise? Something homegrown that they didn’t get through an acquisition?

Soooo Forza, Crackdown, and Fable?

Halo, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Gears of War, Sea of Thieves, Conker, Crimson Skies, Phantom Dust, MechAssault, Lost Oddysey, Jade Empire, Grounded, Psychonauts, Flight Simulator.

fallingdove

Halo, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Gears of War, Sea of Thieves, Conker, Crimson Skies, Phantom Dust, MechAssault, Lost Oddysey, Jade Empire, Grounded, Psychonauts, Flight Simulator.

Halo - no. Gears of War - no. Conker - no. Psychonauts - no. But there are definitely some IPs on that list that I hadn’t thought about.

Can’t believe I forgot about Lost Odyssey (thank you Xbox — love that game). ❤️

fallingdove

Wasn't the first Fable made prior to Lionhead being acquired by Microsoft?
I’m not familiar enough with the development of Fable but maybe. That’s why I flagged homegrown as part of the criteria. Microsoft doesn’t have a great track record for nurturment/execution of internal creativity and have often relied on 3rd party acquisition/partnership to make up the difference.

At this point, you sincerely consider Sunset an Xbox franchise? If it were, wouldn't it belong to Microsoft?
Thats MS approach. They leave franchises with developers. Allow them to grow and become more valuable. Then buy them at high price once they are big.

They did that with Gears also.

Sony would have made both developers their bitches. Thats how Insomniac was purchased for mere 230 million USD.

JackMcGunns

At this point, you sincerely consider Sunset an Xbox franchise? If it were, wouldn't it belong to Microsoft?

I don't know the details on the licensing, it didn't sell well so I doubt either Insomniac or MS will care anyway, especially now that Insomniac was turned into a Spider-Monkey, they're not going to be using that IP for sure even if it belongs to them, but it was born on Xbox for Xbox.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Thats MS approach. They leave franchises with developers. Allow them to grow and become more valuable. Then buy them at high price once they are big.

They did that with Gears also.

Sony would have made both developers their bitches. Thats how Insomniac was purchased for mere 230 million USD.
Ah, the ol' "Microsoft is the good guy" stance.

This is business. Neither company is your friend. Was Insomniac worth more than $230m? If so, tell us more.

JackMcGunns JackMcGunns

I don't know who Insomnia is and I didn't realize they were turned into Spider-Monkies either. :p

Last edited:

Little Mac

MS doesn’t really have the best track record this gen when it comes to these big titles. I want Fable and Perfect Dark to knock our socks off but after the fucking disaster that was 2023, I’m going to remain overly cautious and keep expectations low. I will say MS put on a great showcase, and conversely, Sony could have done more.

Ah, the ol' "Microsoft is the good guy" stance.

This is business. Neither company is your friend. Was Insomniac worth more than $230m? If so, tell us more.

JackMcGunns JackMcGunns

I don't know who Insomnia is and I didn't realize they were turned into Spider-Monkies either. :p
MS doesn’t care for its PR. Instead loves to get into sticky situations/ controversy.

Doesn’t mean we cannot do critical thinking ourselves. 😛

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Thats MS approach. They leave franchises with developers. Allow them to grow and become more valuable.

You mean like Bloodborne, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Death Stranding, or Phantom Blade Zero?

No, Sony didn't need to buy those, despite investing millions in each.

And others like Returnal / Housemarquee became AAA only because of Sony. There is no comparison between MS and Sony in that matter. Sony develops and improves studios, MS doesn't.

Top Bottom