• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

I'm assuming that's a rhetorical question? :p
Lol
People never learn to not bitch about others' discussion around a game's technical foibles in a goddamn technical thread. Is there some chrome extension that I don't know about that clicks on threads that the user has no interest in?

GHG

Lol
People never learn to not bitch about others' discussion around a game's technical foibles in a goddamn technical thread. Is there some chrome extension that I don't know about that clicks on threads that the user has no interest in?

There must be one called Microsoft notifications which sends out a notification to anyone who has it installed whenever something negative about Microsoft is said in a thread on Neogaf. Only "real gamers" get access though.

seph1roth

Well, this happened to the little Janitroll

c94d7b518e032a9f150797b1f7805acc.jpg

7f6711719c98c65cf034b1e7bb8ba0f2.jpg

5fdd921b087968d329063fe46cd97c87.jpg

Paint me like one of your french girls...
16443d4a9028ce72b41ccfe7a5ff8eb8.jpg

nynt9

It was at a trade show where MS announced that retail units will function as dev kits.

At build they expressed in detail exactly how developers will be able to use their Xboxes at dev kits.

Your only proving the point that the developer conference provides the tangible information and guidance, not just plans and aspirations.

Surely you can understand people's reservations when each hand is saying something different?

And the confusion when the hand that is most visible to everyone is spinning the wheel while the niche hand that only developers pay attention to is going "actually, that's not what we really mean"

nynt9

Well, this happened to the little Janitroll

c94d7b518e032a9f150797b1f7805acc.jpg

Those squares are the 16x9 internal resolution it's upscaling from

No, I'm not talking about the aspect ratio, I'm talking 16 pixels by 9 pixels

/s, in case someone jumps on me

Hahhahaha noooooooooooo
Vi0VJZH.png

on topic: No comments on the game by Remedy or MS yet, right?

Literally every page someone asks this, and every time I mention Remedy put out an FAQ passing most of the blame to UWP along with some snarky comments at the expense of people who are having issues.
Have we gotten any public statement from remedy regarding the state of the game?

Or even a Phil Spencer tweet?

Remedy posted on their forums this slightly passive aggressive FAQ:

http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/260554-quantum-break-windows-10-faq
Quantum Break Windows 10 FAQ

Does the game support overlay software for broadcasting/streaming, benchmarking or mods?
That's determined by UWP, and currently the platform doesn't support overlay software. Microsoft is aware of this and are working on improving UWP.

I'm receiving a "File IO Failulre" error notice and the game doesn't launch.
It's an issue caused by having a Unicode based user account. We're working on fixing it ASAP, will update this thread with the latest status.

Does Windows 10 support SLI or Crossfire?
Multiple GPU set-ups aren't currently supported by UWP / DirectX 12.

There's something wrong with my savegame.
Please make sure you're running the latest version of Windows 10. Older versions have a bug which might cause a savegame error when playing a game with multiple user accounts on the same PC. To be sure, switch your account before signing in to the Xbox app and launching the game.

How much bandwidth does the live action show streaming require?
The game includes 4 episodes of the live action show, each episode being approximately 25 minutes. Streaming these will be similar to streaming a half hour TV show on typical video streaming services.

My high-end AMD GPU doesn't run the game in 4K / Ultra.
Please check if you have the latest drivers installed. Having 8gb RAM is recommended for 4K/ultra settings.

The game looks grainy.
The film grain effect becomes heavy on some TVs when the sharpness setting is too high. Also check if the cloud save has picked up your Xbox One game version gamma/brightness settings and pumped up the PC settings simultaneously.

Jack looks like a pirate.
DRM might've accidentally triggered. Reboot the game and eat a lot of vitamin C.

The game doesn't fit on my hard drive.
Check that your game download / installation hard drive has enough space. The installation package is about 45 Gb, the live action show is streamed so you don't need to worry about fitting additional 75 Gb on your drive.

The game is taking forever to download.
Microsoft is working on this and trying to improve server caching.

The game runs slowly on my system which meets the minimum spec.
The game defaults to your screen resolution. Try lowering the resolution from the game's display settings.

Can I limit my framerate?
The game supports 60fps and the framerate is based on your system resources. Capping the framerate isn't supported.

Why is the PC version only on Windows 10 and sold only through the Windows Store?
The publisher decides where and on what platform to distribute the game.

How can I quit the game?
It's like Brokeback Mountain all over again... You can exit Quantum Break just like any Windows 10 application, move the mouse cursor to the upper right corner and the regular [X] should appear.

GHG

Hahhahaha noooooooooooo
Vi0VJZH.png

on topic: No comments on the game by Remedy or MS yet, right?

This just in from their official forums:

I can guarantee that we're listening to you guys and trying to fix things the best we can. I've been forwarding the crash and performance issues you've reported to the dev team, so they're actual bug tickets in our QA system. It just takes time to get the fixes into a build update candidate, get the candidate through certification process and finally delivered to the players. Thank you for your patience.

http://community.remedygames.com/fo...-quantum-break-win10-plans-for-the-pc-version

Let's see what they manage to come up with.

Skii

I dont want to read through the entire thread but my question is:

Can I run this game at 1080p 60fps on high on my GTX 970?

Or am I screwed?

GHG

Or am I screwed?

You can at least read the op and a few of the articles linked.

Even people with 980ti's are screwed.

Man, they're making it very clear, without actually coming out and saying it, and they're very unhappy with UWP / Windows 10 Store.

Especially that last bit about the process.

If Microsoft is ever going to hope to improve UWP as a viable alternative for releasing AAA games, they're going to have to make it easier for devs and publishers to issue patches.

GHG

Especially that last bit about the process.

If Microsoft is ever going to hope to improve UWP as a viable alternative for releasing AAA games, they're going to have to make it easier for devs and publishers to issue patches.

Exactly this.

Anyone know when/if they are going to make this process easier for developers? Trup1aya?

Skii

You can at least read the op and a few of the articles linked.

Even people with 980ti's are screwed.

Lol. Hell no. You won't even manage 60fps on 720p + 4x MSAA, which is what they call their "1080P".

I thought there would be fixes out by now or some news from the developers :(

Very disappointing. Microsoft are just a mess. It's clear that PC gaming is still just an afterthought even after all their spiel about creating a "new platform".

theultimo

I thought there would be fixes out by now or some news from the developers :(

Very disappointing. Microsoft are just a mess. It's clear that PC gaming is still just an afterthought even after all their spiel about creating a "new platform".
Users can't fix what they don't have access too.

It's the best of the worst worlds, no person can fix it without approval in triplicate from MS industries inc

Trup1aya

Exactly this.

Anyone know when/if they are going to make this process easier for developers? Trup1aya?

Lol no clue.

One of many issues they need to address, obviously. Sounds like their process is similar to the console process, which is probably inadequate here...

Still we have no idea where Remedy is in the process. Are they awaiting certification? Or are they still squashing bugs?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wait for //build/ for more info, guys!

Sorry I had to. ;)

If this is how they want to get everyone behind their store/UWP idea, they are not doing a very good job at it.

Daingurse

Or am I screwed?

Hell no lol. You will hit 60fps at times sure, but the framerate was pretty damn variable in my experience. Bad framepacing only makes it worse. But sometimes you DO get decent framepacing. Shit is a real mixed bag, janky as all hell. I need to try everything on medium, see if that does anything at all for the frametimes. Oh and it's not really 1080p.

GHG

Lol no clue.

One of many issues they need to address, obviously. Sounds like their process is similar to the console process, which is probably inadequate here...

But in the meantime we need to assume they will fix it right?

;)

theultimo

Hell no lol. You will hit 60fps at times sure, but the framerate was pretty damn variable in my experience.

On my 970m (basically a desktop 960) even 900p cannot sustain 60 fps and stutters like crazy.

All in all its a shame, a good game is there, it's just frustrating as all hell to try to play it

Trup1aya

But in the meantime we need to assume they will fix it right?

;)

What's your take when any other dev says they are working on a patch?

Do you assume they are twiddling their thumbs?

If you are talking about MS, I doubt they'll ever remove the certification proccess. Mainly because the store handles games and apps I can't see them making an acception for games.

DirtyLarry

I have only been following this thread as an outside observer as I will not have my new PC until the end of this month so I cannot currently play the game on PC (well not only that, but I have not gotten my code yet for the Win 10 version), but seriously this is just unbelievable to me. For such a high profile title and release and one that was supposed to be a selling point for cross Windows play, you would have thought that MS would have done everything they could to assure a butter smooth launch.

I've seen comments on how the game is performing on nvidia cards but can't find any hint of how the game performs on AMD cards. How does it run on the 390x and fury x?

GHG

What's your take when any other dev says they are working on a patch?

Do you assume they are twiddling their thumbs?

No I was referring to the long winded process for getting patches out. The one that clearly isn't suited to the quick response time needed for AAA games.

Microsoft are going to fix that right? Are we ok to chalk this up as another UWP issue or does it fall under a different category?

I know remedy will be working on this, they have been reasonably transparent in terms of who/what is at fault here so far.

I have only been following this thread as an outside observer as I will not have my new PC until the end of this month so I cannot currently play the game on PC (well not only that, but I have not gotten my code yet for the Win 10 version), but seriously this is just unbelievable to me. For such a high profile title and release and one that was supposed to be a selling point for cross Windows play, you would have thought that MS would have done everything they could to assure a butter smooth launch.

Yes, this is such a huge blow for everyone.

Not only for MS and Remedy (financially and reputationally), but also us the customers.

I've seen comments on how the game is performing on nvidia cards but can't find any hint of how the game performs on AMD cards. How does it run on the 390x and fury x?

There's a benchmark in the OP.

theultimo

No I was referring to the long winded process for getting patches out. The one that clearly isn't suited to the quick response time needed for AAA games.

Microsoft are going to fix that right? Are we ok to chalk this up as another UWP issue or does it fall under a different category?
Any game on the windows store requires certification process to actually be able to use.

It's something GFWL did too and it basically meant patches would take forever. The developer also has to pay for the patches as well, much like the Xbox one.

Unlike how steam handles it and let's developers patch at any time

epmode

Any game on the windows store requires certification process to actually be able to use.

It's something GFWL did too and it basically meant patches would take forever. The developer also has to pay for the patches as well, much like the Xbox one.

Yeah, this ridiculous certification process has delayed the PC version of Ori Definitive Edition for nearly a month, and there's still no ETA.

Well at least MS will be able to make sure that the games work as intended by cockblocking updates until they certify them. Just like they obviously do when they release games.

Trup1aya

I know remedy will be working on this, they have been reasonably transparent in terms of who/what is at fault here so far.

Ok yeah I edited above.

I doubt MS will change the certification process, because their store needs to handle games and apps the same.

Unlike the other issues, MS has made no mention of altering the certification process, so why would anyone 'assume' they'll 'fix' it?

the proccess seems identical to what we see in the console space, so I don't think it accurate to call it inadequate for AAA gaming, But I can understand why people who are used to other services on PC would be frustrated by it.

I love how you try to assume my position on this matter, which really doesn't parallel any of the previous discussions we've been having on UWP.

So it's a store issue. Presumably, this summer, when devs can distribute UWA's outside of the Win10 store, they'll be able to issue patches independently as well.

mosdl

Check the pc performance thread - seems to run better on AMD but still exhibiting the wild frametiming issues.

Mifec

GHG thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.

the proccess seems identical to what we see in the console space, so I don't think it accurate to call it inadequate for AAA gaming, But I can understand why people who are used to other services on PC would be frustrated by it.

It's inadequate for AAA PC gaming. Exactly.

Papacheeks

Banned
So that makes 2 games now that had shitty launches on PC for xbox? Jesus I want Scalebound and Gears 4 to be good because I want to buy them.

God fix this shit MS.

holygeesus

Banned
Why is it claiming people are playing pirate copies of the game when the game isn't even cracked? Seems odd.

You would think MS would do the decent thing and drop the price to a more sane RRP to make up for these issues, alas I doubt that will be happening any time soon. It can't be selling many copies on Windows 10 surely?

nynt9

Why is it claiming people are playing pirate copies of the game when the game isn't even cracked? Seems odd.

You would think MS would do the decent thing and drop the price to a more sane RRP to make up for these issues, alas I doubt that will be happening any time soon. It can't be selling many copies on Windows 10 surely?

When you're logged out of the windows store it thinks you're pirating the game. It's kind of always-online.

Unai

Ok yeah I edited above.

I doubt MS will change the certification process, because their store needs to handle games and apps the same.

Unlike the other issues, MS has made no mention of altering the certification process, so why would anyone 'assume' they'll 'fix' it?

I love how you try to assume my position on this matter, which really doesn't parallel any of the previous discussions we've been having on UWP.

So it's a store issue. Presumably, this summer, when devs can distribute UWA's outside of the Win10 store, they'll be able to issue patches independently as well.

Just because it's the same process that exists on the consoles doesn't mean it's adequate.

nynt9

Ok yeah I edited above.

Many console developers have lamented the arduousness of the cert process on consoles, so I don't know if it's considered adequate. Remember how Fez was abandoned because Fish refused to pay the cert fee, locking some players out of completing the game for good? It's also why console versions of PC-first games often lag severely behind in terms of updates and features. See Diablo 3 for example. Blizzard have similarly cited this as a reason for why the console version of Overwatch will consistently be behind in terms of features.

Yet again this comes down to the fact that treating PC games like console games or mobile apps is a downright stupid idea.

Maztorre

Smh, Adobe doesn't have to use MS' store front... Where have you been? They can sell directly to their customers with UWP... They don't have to concede a single red cent to MS.

These tired ass arguments where people refuse to actually educated themselves on the subject matter.... Get old man

I'm fully aware that you can distribute UWP apps outside of Microsoft's store. But there is literally no reason to use UWP over Win32 unless you are going to sell your application via Microsoft's store. Adobe aren't going to suddenly decide to abandon non-Windows 10 users with Photoshop in order to arbitrarily support an inferior publishing format to what they already have.

Contrary to what you may believe, I am educated about what's going on. My point is that the use cases for UWP are only beneficial if you are already on one of Microsoft's non-PC devices. If you are developing and selling PC games, you are better served by Win32. If you are developing and selling productivity software, you are better served by Win32. After that, what's left? Unless there is a huge untapped demand on for PC ports of time-waster phone apps I'm not seeing, UWP is nothing but a danger to the PC market. And I'm calling it a danger because it is creating a concept of "tiered" application types ("legacy" Win32 and "standard" UWP, and before that, "standard" RT apps) that Microsoft will have no issue using to create advantages for themselves, the same way they have used DirectX to push users from one OS to the next to their own benefit.

Top Bottom