• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

dr_rus

So that makes 2 games now that had shitty launches on PC for xbox? Jesus I want Scalebound and Gears 4 to be good because I want to buy them.

God fix this shit MS.

Both Gears4 and Scalebound are using UE4 engine which should run fine on most h/w as it's a good engine actually. But neither of these games has been announced for PC at the moment.

nynt9

Both Gears4 and Scalebound are using UE4 engine which should run fine on most h/w as it's a good engine actually. But neither of these games has been announced for PC at the moment.

Tomb Raider runs on Square's engine (that ran well on all platforms for the 2013 game) and its Win10 version performs worse than the Steam version. So having an already existing game isn't guarantee that the UWP version will perform well.

Qassim

I still don't even have my code that MS initially promised for 'the week of April 5th' from the Xbox One pre-order. Not that I'm in that much of a rush to play it at the moment, lol.

What a mess.

Freiya

There must be one called Microsoft notifications which sends out a notification to anyone who has it installed whenever something negative about Microsoft is said in a thread on Neogaf. Only "real gamers" get access though.
This is funny to me considering Microsoft is more hated on this forum than anything else I've seen. Anything to do with Microsoft gets bashed and it doesn't matter what it is. You want to talk about Microsoft defenders but there are way more anti Microsoft people here. I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread defend the mess that is qb. Instead we qet a thread about qb problems slammed with Microsoft hate over uwp or uwa w/e the hell it's called. When uwa has nothing to do with qb problems in the first place. Uwa isn't the cause of a single problem listed in the title of this thread.

benzy

Paint me like one of your french girls...
16443d4a9028ce72b41ccfe7a5ff8eb8.jpg

Lmao

nynt9

This is funny to me considering Microsoft is more hated on this forum than anything else I've seen. Anything to do with Microsoft gets bashed and it doesn't matter what it is. You want to talk about Microsoft defenders but there are way more anti Microsoft people here. I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread defend the mess that is qb. Instead we qet a thread about qb problems slammed with Microsoft hate over uwp or uwa w/e the hell it's called. When uwa has nothing to do with qb problems in the first place. Uwa isn't the cause of a single problem listed in the title of this thread.

The developers have directly placed the blame on UWP with their official response.

And we have a lot of PC gamers who have been around for long enough to remember how they almost killed PC gaming so people are understandably apprehensive.

Stepping on toes pisses people off. What a shock.
Microsoft has just stood on more toes recently than most other companies. And in regards to UWA they're stepping on the same toes they did a while ago.
If you can provide an example of a recent dick move made by other gaming companies that hasn't been met with criticism on NeoGAF then I'd be interested to know what they are.

LordRaptor

Uwa isn't the cause of a single problem listed in the title of this thread.

The Win10 storefront being the only place to obtain UWAs and Ms having sole control over the Win 10 Storefront and zero compeition or pressure on pricing must imply that UWAs are at least tangentially responsible for the game being overpriced, no?

dr_rus

Tomb Raider runs on Square's engine (that ran well on all platforms for the 2013 game) and its Win10 version performs worse than the Steam version. So having an already existing game isn't guarantee that the UWP version will perform well.

What's "worse" here? It didn't support SLI/CF and had no way of disabling vsync but is that it? I mean, sure, general UWP limitations will apply but at least we can be sure that the engine is good. Which wasn't the case with GearsUE and QB and I'd say that most of issues are coming from this fact, not the fact that they are running on UWP platform. The biggest issue with them running on UWP is a political one - the one where MS prohibit them from being released in Steam as Win32 programs.

nynt9

What's "worse" here? It didn't support SLI/CF and had no way of disabling vsync but is that it? I mean, sure, general UWP limitations will apply but at least we can be sure that the engine is good. Which wasn't the case with GearsUE and QB and I'd say that most of issues are coming from this fact, not the fact that they are running on UWP platform. The biggest issue with them running on UWP is a political one - the one where MS prohibit them from being released in Steam as Win32 programs.

VXAO also only works on the Steam version. And I think SLI support and unlocking frame rate is a pretty big deal, as a multi-GPU g-sync monitor owner.

EvB

The Win10 storefront being the only place to obtain UWAs and Ms having sole control over the Win 10 Storefront and zero compeition or pressure on pricing must imply that UWAs are at least tangentially responsible for the game being overpriced, no?

It's Microsoft's game
They set the price, even on steam, GOG whatever

It's not overpriced, it's the same price as the Xbox Version, after all it is the same product.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
It's Microsoft's game

It's not overpriced, it's the same price as the Xbox Version, after all it is the same product.

Not in EU (as people are saying). 70 euros is pretty steep.

I have only been following this thread as an outside observer as I will not have my new PC until the end of this month so I cannot currently play the game on PC (well not only that, but I have not gotten my code yet for the Win 10 version), but seriously this is just unbelievable to me. For such a high profile title and release and one that was supposed to be a selling point for cross Windows play, you would have thought that MS would have done everything they could to assure a butter smooth launch.

They released MCC in a way, waaaaaay worse state than this and that was a flagship launch for a userbase they actually cater to. Win 10 games dont have a chance in hell.

Ascheroth

It's Microsoft's game

70€ for a digital PC game is ridiculous. Even more so considering the state the game lauched in.

But this is the main issue with the PC version of the game.

It is just a direct port from the Xbox version.

Probably we will have the "Quit" option on the menu with a 5€ DLC.

Really?

The point is it's not a timely delivery either way - added on to the fact they're now saying they'll be delivered in '7-10 days' (which is past 'the week of the 5th of april'), it's not a good.

I don't mind the wait, personally. I can still play it on console until then.

Trup1aya

I'm fully aware that you can distribute UWP apps outside of Microsoft's store. But there is literally no reason to use UWP over Win32 unless you are going to sell your application via Microsoft's store. Adobe aren't going to suddenly decide to abandon non-Windows 10 users with Photoshop in order to arbitrarily support an inferior publishing format to what they already have.

Contrary to what you may believe, I am educated about what's going on. My point is that the use cases for UWP are only beneficial if you are already on one of Microsoft's non-PC devices. If you are developing and selling PC games, you are better served by Win32. If you are developing and selling productivity software, you are better served by Win32. After that, what's left? Unless there is a huge untapped demand on for PC ports of time-waster phone apps I'm not seeing, UWP is nothing but a danger to the PC market. And I'm calling it a danger because it is creating a concept of "tiered" application types ("legacy" Win32 and "standard" UWP, and before that, "standard" RT apps) that Microsoft will have no issue using to create advantages for themselves, the same way they have used DirectX to push users from one OS to the next to their own benefit.

Of course Adobe wouldn't abandon win7 users to make a UWP app... And they wouldn't have to.

They can convert their existing win32 app to UWP, granting them access to UWP features (Live Tiles, notifications, Cortana etc)

Their customers who are not on win32 would run the non-converted version. This isn't an either or situation.

The developers have directly placed the blame on UWP with their official response.

And we have a lot of PC gamers who have been around for long enough to remember how they almost killed PC gaming so people are understandably apprehensive.

There official response says UWP doesn't support overlays, SLI, or crossfire... None of that explains why the port is bad.

theultimo

Of course Adobe wouldn't abandon win7 users to make a UWP app... And they wouldn't have to.

They can convert their existing win32 app to UWP, granting them access to UWP features (Live Tiles, notifications, Cortana etc)

Their customers who are not on win32 would run the non-converted version. This isn't an either or situation.

There official response says UWP doesn't support overlays, SLI, or crossfire... None of that explains why the port is bad.
The problem is: why hamper yourself making a UWP app when win32 works from vista - 10

It's needless work for no benefit.

Considering the port with remedy, most of the issues stem from UWP and borderless windowed, which if it was a win32 app it would be fixed via mods.

Since UWP doesn't want chrome to have key loggers, it's up to remedy and Microsoft to cert a patch and publish it, instead of possibly having a fix.

You cannot put all blame on remedy, nor can you put all blame on Microsoft. The 2 work together to make a terrible union

dr_rus

VXAO also only works on the Steam version. And I think SLI support and unlocking frame rate is a pretty big deal, as a multi-GPU g-sync monitor owner.

VXAO is NV's library, it has a lot of limitations in it's current release, they will get rid of them going further, I think. As for the rest well yeah.

LordRaptor

It's Microsoft's game

As I've already said in this topic;
I can buy it for Xbox One at retail on a disk for £39.99 ($56.25)
I can buy it on an Xbox One through the Xbox One digital store for £44.99 ($63.28)
I can buy it for PC on the Win10 Store for £49.99 ($70.32)

Tell me again how its not overpriced?
No, seriously, please, defend this to me. Tell me how this is acceptable for - as you describe it - "the same product".

Cels

i don't have the game and i don't plan to get it anytime soon since judging from people's experiences in here my hardware wouldn't be capable of running it well.

what's with the non-native resolution on PC? if i tell the settings 1920x1080 or 2560x1440, why would they take that choice away from me and render it at a lower resolution instead?

Trup1aya

The problem is: why hamper yourself making a UWP app when win32 works from vista - 10

It's needless work for no benefit.

Considering the port with remedy, most of the issues stem from UWP and borderless windowed, which if it was a win32 app it would be fixed via mods.

Since UWP doesn't want chrome to have key loggers, it's up to remedy and Microsoft to cert a patch and publish it, instead of possibly having a fix.

You cannot put all blame on remedy, nor can you put all blame on Microsoft. The 2 work together to make a terrible union

How can you say there's no benefit? Win10 has a rapidly growing userbase... Users who likely would like invest in products that take advantage of their platforms unique features.

Yes the patch situation sucks. I don't disagree.

the biggest issue with the QB port is the console-centric rendering solution... Not to say that the lack of multi-GPU support helps at all. The lack of overlays has no effect on the game itself. But you're right there's plenty of blame to go around, I don't disagree one bit.

theultimo

I work in enterprise development. We don't have Windows 10 installed, just 7 enterprise

UWP might be good for individual users, but you example list enterprise solutions. No business development software is going UWP.

So, does this game run better on AMD cards, since AMD cards seem to run DX 12 games better than Nvidia cards?

Edit - found the answer and once again, AMD cards run yet another DX 12 game better. Pascal had better improve on DX 12 games, as DX 12 does not look so rosy on Nvidia right now.

Furthermore, Quantum Break is yet another title that favours AMD’s GPUs. According to reports, the Radeon R9 Fury X is providing a better gaming experience than the NVIDIA GTX980Ti. In fact, the performance gap between them is said to be around 8-11fps. We don’t know whether NVIDIA will be able to narrow this performance gap via its drivers, however all DX12 titles are currently performing better on AMD’s hardware. And that’s something consumers should take into account when purchasing the top of the line GPUs that are currently available to the market.

nynt9

How can you say there's no benefit? Win10 has a rapidly growing userbase... Users who likely would like invest in products that take advantage of their platforms unique features.

the biggest issue with the QB port is the console-centric rendering solution... Not to say that the lack of multi-GPU support helps at all. The lack of overlays has no effect on the game itself. But you're right there's plenty of blame to go around, I don't disagree one bit.

None of which justifies UWP. You can take advantage of the "unique features" of Windows 10 without being a Windows store app. Just see literally every other program on windows. Even on the store they could easily just sell .exes instead of UWAs. What benefits are we even talking about here?

This post is skirting dangerously close to sounding like PR. No disrespect intended trup1aya because you've mostly been reasonable and well informed in this thread but those sound like the type of intangible PR excuses MS like to use.

Zedox

I work in enterprise development. We don't have Windows 10 installed, just 7 enterprise

UWP might be good for individual users, but you example list enterprise solutions. No business development software is going UWP.

I do as well. I do have Windows 10 installed (granted RTM, I really want to have bash as I do at home because that would make my life SO MUCH EASIER for development) but not the majority of my employer. We aren't making UWP as well (as far as I know), but we are testing on Windows 10 (as most companies do when there's a new version). UWP is definitely too new for enterprises to start developing for. There's a lot of moving parts that need to be handled before that becomes the norm. It will take a long time before that happens. I expect the same thing with video games. UWP won't be a "norm" for a while.

Why limit your main product, such as with what you mentioned with (Adobe), limit themselves to ONE OS? Also, UWP is not something a business or a normal user would want to deal with. If something goes wrong, good luck troubleshooting the fucking program. I'm someone who's actually worked in the business of dealing with these kinds of programs and distributing them and troubleshooting them in a corporate setting. UWP would benefit no one, and especially would do more damage than good in the corporate setting, let alone frustrate actual users.

If you come in to advice a company on what to do and suggest UWPs, I can almost guarantee they will either not listen to you or just fire you on the spot.

Freiya

PC gamers should know that the shit in the title and the problems with QB have nothing to do with UWP. Just a tiny bit of common sense, I don't care what Remedy says in their faq. Anyone with a brain knows it's bs. If it's not BS I'd love for one person to explain how UWP has anything to do with the performance of the game and non native rendering or the price of the game.

Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Remedy didn't even mention most of these things in their faq to begin with.

That's a Microsoft and Win10 store problem and they should be blasted for it.

LordRaptor

That's a Microsoft and Win10 store problem and they should be blasted for it.

A win32 application that can be installed from any source can inherently also be sold from any source.
A manufacturer might set a recommended price, but in order for retailers to stock that product they will buy at a wholesale price which is cheaper than their sale price so that they have a margin for profit.
Retailers directly compete with other retailers, so they can cut their margin per unit sold and undercut the competition, or can compete on secondary factors such as loyalty systems or additional bundling of merchandise such as a free QB T-shirt with every purchase (or in MSs case a free copy of AW + DLC).
Where a manufacturer controls the method of production, the means of distribution, and all available retail channels then they correspondingly have no competitive pressure and can set pricing at whatever they want, be as lax on production quality as they want, and as lacklustre on delivery options and availability as they choose.
This is generally referred to as a monopoly and is generally considered a bad thing.

dreamfall

Wish they gave us the preorder codes up front so we could at least mess around with performance - running though it on console, and would like to see why this is so messy on PC :/

It's a shame - it's taking away from the game completely. This shit port job really should draw ire from the PC community - UWP just seems terrible.

So I got an xbox message with my Alan Wake code. Still no Quantum Break PC code.

I guess that is one way to avoid more negative impressions. Oh Microsoft...

Here it is if anyone wants it.....

6XGK4-KC7YV-TG6KX-DQ34W-TQD2Z

Freiya

A win32 application that can be installed from any source can inherently also be sold from any source.
A manufacturer might set a recommended price, but in order for retailers to stock that product they will buy at a wholesale price which is cheaper than their sale price so that they have a margin for profit.
Retailers directly compete with other retailers, so they can cut their margin per unit sold and undercut the competition, or can compete on secondary factors such as loyalty systems or additional bundling of merchandise such as a free QB T-shirt with every purchase (or in MSs case a free copy of AW + DLC).
Where a manufacturer controls the method of production, the means of distribution, and all available retail channels then they correspondingly have no competitive pressure and can set pricing at whatever they want, be as lax on production quality as they want, and as lacklustre on delivery options and availability as they choose.
This is generally referred to as a monopoly and is generally considered a bad thing.

I don't really understand why you are posting this. It doesn't change anything and I'm not arguing against any of it. Unless you are under the impression that Microsoft are the only people capable of giving away anything under uwa. I was under the impression anyone can do it.

Freiya

What's your take when any other dev says they are working on a patch?

Do you assume they are twiddling their thumbs?

If you are talking about MS, I doubt they'll ever remove the certification proccess. Mainly because the store handles games and apps I can't see them making an acception for games.

They actually said there is a patch in the works?

Well, it's not acceptable to me. The game isn't that long, and I pre-bought the game digitally based on the promise of having access to both versions.

So.

I canceled a 30% off preorder of the physical xbox version based on the promise of getting both versions at launch for preordering digitally. :/

Dumb move maybe, but still.

Lima

I canceled a 30% off preorder of the physical xbox version based on the promise of getting both versions at launch for preordering digitally. :/

Dumb move maybe, but still.

There was no promise that you would get the PC code at launch. That is just a thing in your mind. Wishful thinking.

Top Bottom