• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for Silent Hill enthusiasts

simpatico

It might still end up a good-enough way for console players to kinda play SH2. It remains to be seen how much of the dialog has been "modernized". What stings for me is thinking how much better it could have been, potentially with less effort than whatever this is. Should have just kept it simple and modernized the graphics and combat. As far as dialog, I would much rather them just go word for word with the exact same script. Can't go wrong that way. I feel like an above average mod team could easily compete with this given the same time.

El Muerto

The story and environment will be soulless and hollow. The VA is awful. It's a survival horror so combat doesnt really need to be revamped. Overall a waste of time. This is just Konami pimping out Pyramid Head for sales.

SteadyEvo

There’s a TON of hate for Bloober Team that I don’t understand. I’ve only played and completed Layers of Fear and Blair Witch, both were ok. Not great, but serviceable fun.

The Medium? Decent, 5/10, but it just lost my interest towards the end and I didn’t see it through. I think they’ve improved with each title. Y’all are too hard on them. No developer pumps out masterpieces from the start.

SenkiDala

How do you feel about what was shown of the Silent Hill 2 remake? I remember attempting to play the game on PS3 and at the time it felt horribly outdated and I was clueless as to what to do and why people loved it so much.

I’ve since, like a doofus, watched several YouTube videos detailing the story and what the game is all about. Still I’d like to experience it for myself.

Do you feel that the remake does the original justice? And will the changes to combat make the game more enjoyable and accessible to those that didn’t play the original? Obviously without playing only so much information can be gathered but you know what I’m asking.
Honest answer :

By watching those videos on YouTube you ruined the game for yourself, so it's too late, you'll never know or understand how it feels, move on to other games.

And the remake seem "ok" in terms of gameplay but terrible in all the other terms. The character design is terrible and ruin the essence, the meaning, of the game.

The original Silent Hill 2 plays like shit, now.

And played like shit then. It was always the lesser Evil.

3 was the peak of the series.

Some of you just like to act like you have fond memories of experiencing the original when it came out.😂

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

Some of you just like to act like you have fond memories of experiencing the original when it came out.😂
It was good then and good now. The controls and combat are what we should have in a survival horror game. If you had shooter controls and camera, that would take away the atmosphere. REmakes are great shooters, but poor horror games.

ZehDon

It looks like a mid-level PS4 game - which would be fine if that's what it was. But this is a remake of Silent Hill 2 - a timeless classic. By that metric, it's sub-par on every level, and it looks worse every time they show it.

It was good then and good now. The controls and combat are what we should have in a survival horror game. If you had shooter controls and camera, that would take away the atmosphere. REmakes are great shooters, but poor horror games.
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I didn't say it wasn't good.

It was cerebral. But it played like shit.

Those are not the controls I want in my survival horror games.

SteadyEvo

Honest answer :

By watching those videos on YouTube you ruined the game for yourself, so it's too late, you'll never know or understand how it feels, move on to other games.

And the remake seem "ok" in terms of gameplay but terrible in all the other terms. The character design is terrible and ruin the essence, the meaning, of the game.
Maybe so but slow burn stories that keep me in the dark spike my anxiety 😬

Hunter 99

As a silent hill enthusiast from SH1,I don't think it will capture the feel of the original as it was a different time back then and survival horror was at its peak for me with project zero,clock tower,haunting ground,dino crisis,resi outbreaks,resi 4,forbidden siren ect.we were spoiled back then and its what made many people like myself fall in love with the genre like never before.

Survival horror is just something that stays with you and I will never forget playing resident evil 2 for the first time as a kid and loving the atmosphere,gameplay,music but not quite fully understanding how to play it (conserve ammo,dont kill everything ect) but when i finally got it,the genre just fascinated me.

Sure the SH2 remake looks and plays prettier and for today's standard it will scratch the itch for many of us but it will feel different and won't have the same overall experience that the original did.

For me games like Visage and Madison have really set the bar for a survival horror enthusiast in my 30s that truly bring the terror and anxiety that survival horror of the 90s and 00s did. Although I did enjoy the re2,3 and 4 remakes it's not quite the same.

Sorry for long post,just passionate about the genre and I'm still excited to play SH2 remake

Hohenheim

I look forward to play a new version of one of my favourite games. It's not like the original disappears just because there's a remake.

Last edited:

Calverz

Iv come to expect the worst and since that mindset change, Iv been far. Ore relaxed with what they have shown. For me I’m viewing it as another new silent hill game (which is a great thing).

It won’t compare to the original. Very few remakes do. I think fans of silent hill might be pleasantly surprised. But from what I have seen in the combat, it looks very clunky. This is ok because combat in original was clunky and adds to the tension! But this combat looks like it will frustrate many players. It sorta looks like a halfway house between sh2 and re4 or something.

Aside from that, I’m looking forward to playing this on pc. I highly suggest playing silent hill 2 extended edition on pc. It’s easily one of the best games Iv ever played.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm the odd one out and I'm going to be that guy but the remake looks just fine. And I actually like Angela's design even better than the original.

Beyond that I hope they don't really change anything story-wise and keep all the locations intact with maybe just adding a few extra things.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
There’s a TON of hate for Bloober Team that I don’t understand. I’ve only played and completed Layers of Fear and Blair Witch, both were ok. Not great, but serviceable fun.

The Medium? Decent, 5/10, but it just lost my interest towards the end and I didn’t see it through. I think they’ve improved with each title. Y’all are too hard on them. No developer pumps out masterpieces from the start.
Imagine thinking a 5/10 is a decent game.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
How do you feel about what was shown of the Silent Hill 2 remake? I remember attempting to play the game on PS3 and at the time it felt horribly outdated and I was clueless as to what to do and why people loved it so much.

I’ve since, like a doofus, watched several YouTube videos detailing the story and what the game is all about. Still I’d like to experience it for myself.

Do you feel that the remake does the original justice? And will the changes to combat make the game more enjoyable and accessible to those that didn’t play the original? Obviously without playing only so much information can be gathered but you know what I’m asking.
I don't rate Bloober at all. I think they are a mid studio.

I think there is zero nuance in their work. They will express the point bluntly rather than give breadcrumbs to fill out the story. Silent Hill 2 has levels to it. Far above Bloober's previous works. What is shown gives me the vibes that they don't know the game. They know of Silent Hill 2, but they don't understand it.

The graphics I don't really mind. If the game is good you'll forgive alot. People have lost their minds over a character that the change makes no real significance to her character. Another character was changed showing Bloober lack of understanding subtlety and if they fuck up a obvious thing, they will be guaranteed to fuck up the less obvious.

I have no issues with the gameplay as it was never Silent Hill's forte. If the gameplay is better, then great. If it's the same, that's fine, but it can't be worse. You must be shite at developing games to make worse gameplay than Silent Hill when most can be fixed easy enough.

I think people are just generally negative.

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. The Remake definitely looked rough in the past but I think it looks fine. Will it be as good as the original? No but that’s a tall order anyways.

Some parts look better than others. I can’t say I’m a fan of the circle around you where the fog just disappears and some of the voice acting and faces seemed off but the original voice acting wasn’t top tier either. It has this uncanny feeling about it where something just seemed off but it added to the feeling that Silent Hill itself was off.

Silent Hill 1-3 have an otherworldly vibe to them and something that will always and was always hard to recreate. It’s why the other western studios that were given a go couldn’t really ever get close to the heights of Team Silent. People also act like the western titles had no redeeming factors either but it’s untrue. Team Silent was a very specific group of people with a very specific vision.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Before making judgement watch the gameplay trailer footage Bloober uploaded themselves, and not any version from the Transmission show. It's the same footage but clarity and frame rate are way better.
Then go watch one of the OG full play throughs if you want to see how it stacks up against the original scene for scene and shot for shot.

FewRope

I dont understand for the life of me why they didnt remake SH1 instead, they are going to shit on a all time classic just because is the most popular in TikTok or whatever

Madflavor

Gold Member
When Team Silent disbanded, that was the end of Silent Hill. Nobody can make Silent Hill like them. Those games weren’t just games. They were beautiful works of art, and yes I’m going to be that guy. I can say that because even to this day, Silent Hill 2 holds up and has a profound impact on people. The visuals, music, sound design, and story, all invoked a feeling of being in a dream.

I don’t think the Remake looks like garbage. I think it just looks average. It might even be fun to play. But it just looks like an average mediocre experience. Like a fan made attempt.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I think FROM Software has a similar subtle style with their cutscenes and the way the characters deliver their lines. I bet they could make a great Silent Hill remake themselves.

Echo Night 4 confirmed!!!

Muffdraul

I was the biggest SH fan in the world starting at SH1's official announcement circa summer 1998. SH1, 2 and 3 were all instant bona fide classics and then SH4 was the first sign of trouble. I imported it on day 1 and loved it, but when I went back to re-play it, I immediately found that unlike the first three SHs, it was NOT fun to replay. Not at all. And then it just went downhill at 250mph from there. I couldn't get into SH0 on PSP. I couldn't get into any of the newer non-Team Silent SHs because they just plain flat out sucked ass. The SH Collection on PS360 broke my heart because of the generally shit porting and the voice actor changes in SH3. I haven't felt like an SH fan in over 15 years.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to play classic OG SH2 on current consoles. The fact that I can't is bullshit. But I started fantasizing about modern remakes of the classic SHs ever since RE2make released. The idea of a classic SH being remade along the same lines as RE2make felt like a pipedream that could never ever come true thanks to Konami being bizarrely twisted psychotic assholes. But hey, whaddaya know... as far as I can tell, it looks like Bloober's SH2 remake might be on the money. Aside from the shitty gunshot sound fx that resemble water balloons filled with tapioca pudding being thrown against a brick wall, I think it looks like it might be pretty good.

If it were up to me they would have remade SH1 first, but hey I'll take what I can get at this point.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Nah, those of us that were actually playing all of those games back then had already beaten Code Veronica back on DC, and it was like four years between that and RE4 on yet another console. Silent Hill 2 hit at exactly the right time, and was an extremely memorable, POSITIVE gaming experience for me, personally. And lest we forget the next original RE game after SH2 was Outbreak, hahahaha.

Silent Hill 2 was, is, and always will be a high water mark in survival horror games for that time period, for a variety of reasons...controls notwithstanding, but that is also true of nearly all survival horror games during that time.

coffinbirth

I was the biggest SH fan in the world from SH1's announcement. SH4 was the first sign of trouble. I imported it on day 1 and loved it, but when I went back to re-play it, I immediately found that unlike the first three SHs, it was NOT fun to replay. Not at all. And it just went downhill from there. I couldn't get into RE0 on PSP. I couldn't get into any of the newer non-Team Silent SHs because they just plain flat out sucked. The SH Collection on PS360 broke my heart because of the generally shit porting and the voice actor changes in SH3. I haven't felt like an SH fan in over 15 years.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to play classic OG SH2 on current consoles. The fact that I can't is bullshit. But I started fantasizing about modern remakes of the classic SHs ever since RE2make released. The idea of a classic SH being remade along the same lines as RE2make felt like a pipedream that could never ever come true thanks to Konami being bizarrely twisted psychotic assholes. But hey, whaddaya know... as far as I can tell, it looks like Bloober's SH2 remake might be on the money. Aside from the shitty gunshot sound fx that resemble water balloons filled with tapioca pudding being thrown against a brick wall, I think it looks like it might be pretty good.
This guy gets it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The VA is awful.
This is one part I will take an exception to. Do we even remember the original voice acting back in the early 2000s of gaming? Especially Japanese to English games? 🤣

Trailer sounded on par with a little bit of an improvement over original D-rated voice acting.

Last edited:

Keihart

the fog looks cool, thats all the good things i have to say about it.
I think the models look horrible, the animations stiff, the gameplay adittions disjointed and the aesthetics vibes completly missing the mark.
Maybe its better when it launches, i have no expectations for it be good with what has been shown.

As a hardcore SH2 fan, I think it looks pretty great actually with just a few flaws.
They are nailing the town itself, especially the streets, that IS Silent Hill, it puts stuff like Homecoming and Downpour (which were always trash) to shame so much absurdly harder it makes me laugh, I'm so glad I have something I can point to that's better now than 15 years ago.
The only issues are Angela looks a little off (still gets a pass) and Maria's new outfit is very dumb, she's a stripper, let her dress like she works as one, there's actually a very good plot reason why for her design in the original game.
And I am skeptical of the combat, pointing your gun and shooting is not really what Silent Hill is about, it's not an action game, but I am especially impressed with how they're nailing James, it's just great.
I always dreamed about a proper Silent Hill 5 that never happened, but this is the closest to that dream we're getting, at least feeling like I'm authentically back in that world even if it's not a new story, it's just a fact that today we can do things graphically, like making everything on the streets look wet, after all it's a fog ridden town, that couldn't be done on the PS2, the PS2 will always be soulful, but this is a situation where it feels like a worthy way to update things.

Top Bottom