• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I just typed a really long post on why this is my goty, and gaf ate it.

Thanks gaf.

deoee

Because GAF wrote this game off before giving it a shot. Twitch streamers are recognizing how fun and intense it is.

I wrote this game off too before even trying it because of GAF :D Then I saw a) the reactions in this thread b) streamers having such intense moments... :eek:

Thanks gaf.

Man that sucks :-/ Happened to me too and after a couple of those I just started writing my longer texts in an actual editor (notepad) and c&p after I finish...

IMACOMPUTA

..why would they only add a higher tick rate for ranked and then leave casual the same?
Because ranked matches are more important than casual.
The reddit wireshark tests revealed the tickrate was perfectly adequate. Better than most games, and only a little short of CS GO.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3upath/wireshark_the_tick_rate_debate/

Makes sense. There's something other than tick rate fucking up these servers.

UGH. I'm way too tempted to snag this but I don't know what platform should I get it on. I've heard some horror stories about the community on PC, is it REALLY that bad? Or would I be totally fine picking it up?

PC is certainly my platform of choice for shooters, but man, I'd hate to snag it just to regret it due to the players.

The community for this game on PC has been a bit of a surprise so far. Alot of mics and people seem to want to work together. At least, that's been my experience so far.

Animator

UGH. I'm way too tempted to snag this but I don't know what platform should I get it on. I've heard some horror stories about the community on PC, is it REALLY that bad? Or would I be totally fine picking it up?

PC is certainly my platform of choice for shooters, but man, I'd hate to snag it just to regret it due to the players.

what the hell are you talking about? PC community is perfectly fine.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks gaf.

it really gud game. the end.

You're welcome.

People reporting server issues: What platform are you on? I'm on PC and have never had a game crash mid-match. I've had some wonkiness with matchmaking here and there, and on two occasions I couldn't select an operator prior to the match, but in the actual matches it's been good.

OK picked this up, added my psn ID to the doc. Any recommendations for early operator unlocks? I'd like to consider how likely they are to be already be taken by other players as well as utility, so I'm leaning towards support type roles. Not super interested in shields though.

He's probably complaining about the fact he didn't get a kill, or even a down, on the guy he shot multiple times before he was killed.

Ahh. I thought he got him. Yeah, that should have been at least a down, even if it was a bit sloppy. The blood spraying off is a good indication of him being hit.

I've had the same issue happen to me a few times too. It does suck when it happens.

Jrs3000

I just bought and downloaded the game on Xbox One. Every time I start the game it gives me a server error code. Is this normal? I shut down the console and restarted but still got the message.
I'm on WiFi not hard wired. I don't know if that is making a difference. Any idea's or help would be much appreciated.

I get the exact same thing, I bought digitally today. I have to connect to the server manually.

TheBear

The last MP game that had its hooks in me so deep was BF1942.

I NEVER play with a mic, but this game made me pull out the mic and the most fun I've had with this game is jumping in with a bunch of randoms and using a bit of strategy to smash the other team. But then they wise up and get competitive and then it's FUCKING AWESOME

1 vs 1 when the team is dead and its match point is one of the most tense moments I've had in gaming

I also don't hate the levelling and currency system.
It makes you invest in the operators that you feel are your best asset, rather than just showering you with junk to substitute for progress. Progress in this game is learning your shit and executing as a team.
And everyone I've met so far has been cool as shit so I'm really looking forward to being part of this community.

No Love

Banned
Just picked up two copies of this today so my cousin and I can play. Really looking forward to it. I'll have to add some of you so we can play :)

This should balance out SW Battlefront nicely

Just picked up two copies of this today so my cousin and I can play. Really looking forward to it. I'll have to add some of you so we can play :)

This should balance out SW Battlefront nicely

Yup, Battlefront for when you want mindless arcade fun, Battlefield when you want large-scale warfare and Rainbow 6:Siege when you want small, chess-like, strategy focused firefights.

No Love

Banned
Yup, Battlefront for when you want mindless arcade fun, Battlefield when you want large-scale warfare and Rainbow 6:Siege when you want small, chess-like, strategy focused firefights.

I actually can't find Battlefield 4 in the stores. I think I'll have to order it online somewhere. That'll complete the trifecta for sure.

I do think Rainbow Six Siege will snag me the most when it comes to playing co-op with my friends. Just afraid I'll have to switch to the PC version in a few months if the PS4 playerbase falls off.

Man I'll be the first to admit I thought the beta was dookie, but this game is pretty great, and when you get in a good match it becomes one of the best shooters this gen so far.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Man I'll be the first to admit I thought the beta was dookie, but this game is pretty great, and when you get in a good match it becomes one of the best shooters this gen so far.

They should never have had a widely available beta for this game. The beta impressions made too many people make up their minds before release.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Is there any way to split the voice audio from the game audio? (voice through headset, game audio through speakers)

Please don't. For the sake of our ears.
If you really must there are ways to do this through creative opening of the game.

If my speakers are default audio when I open the game then it will come through my speakers instead of my headset.

Please don't. For the sake of our ears.
If you really must there are ways to do this through creative opening of the game.

If my speakers are default audio when I open the game then it will come through my speakers instead of my headset.

I have a noise cancelling mic (Sennheiser game one) so game audio never comes through. My surround sound makes it more immersive for me but the voice audio coming through takes me out of it.

So you are saying set headset as default device, the switch to speakers after opening?

Picking this up today after the huge amount of fun I had in both betas. Caught me completely by surprise! Hope the game has a long and prosperous life.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I have a noise cancelling mic (Sennheiser game one) so game audio never comes through. My surround sound makes it more immersive for me but the voice audio coming through takes me out of it.

So you are saying set headset as default device, the switch to speakers after opening?

Try that or the reverse. Seems to work on other games but I haven't tried it on this one.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I love this game, but I'm doing TERRIBLY tonight. I can usually hold my own, but tonight I've played four or five games and haven't even gotten a single kill.

Thanks for carrying me, fellow Gaffers!

Just afraid I'll have to switch to the PC version in a few months if the PS4 playerbase falls off.

I have it on PC as do many here, the one saving grace I could see this lasting a while on consoles is that there aren't really any other experiences like it. So it kinda has it's own corner with no real competition as opposed to the yearly releases of Battlefield, Call of Duty, Etc. As PC has a ton of options for similar shooters to R6 in the form of ARMA, CSGO, and the many more "hardcore" shooters that'll be dropping next year like Squad, H-Hour: World's Elite, etc. That said, I could see people not liking that it's not a game that you can just run around in and get all these flashy messages on-screen to give you that sense of reward like you get in those other games and that could mean a lot of people dropping it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Kill of the night in a GAF party. Last member is a blitz; ran out of ammo and has to kill another guy.

Flashed the hell out of him a few times with the shield till he could melee him down against a truck.

Kill of the night in a GAF party. Last member is a blitz; ran out of ammo and has to kill another guy.

Flashed the hell out of him a few times with the shield till he could melee him down against a truck.

Yeah that was so good!

I love this game, but I'm doing TERRIBLY tonight. I can usually hold my own, but tonight I've played four or five games and haven't even gotten a single kill.

Thanks for carrying me, fellow Gaffers!

No problem man we all have our bad nights.

No Love

Banned
I have it on PC as do many here, the one saving grace I could see this lasting a while on consoles is that there aren't really any other experiences like it. So it kinda has it's own corner with no real competition as opposed to the yearly releases of Battlefield, Call of Duty, Etc. As PC has a ton of options for similar shooters to R6 in the form of ARMA, CSGO, and the many more "hardcore" shooters that'll be dropping next year like Squad, H-Hour: World's Elite, etc. That said, I could see people not liking that it's not a game that you can just run around in and get all these flashy messages on-screen to give you that sense of reward like you get in those other games and that could mean a lot of people dropping it.

Not too worried about it overall, I'll get my money's worth out of it. It was only $35 and I think it'll be worth it. I do think R6 Siege is definitely more "niche" but I like that it's so different. I hope its freshness and uniqueness will cause it to flourish.

If anyone else is on PS4 and wants a really good teammate they can count on, hit me up. I also play a lot of Battlefront.

interesting that article 5 runs at 60 fps on ps4 with 5 teammates and AI.

Gotta say though, Situations and article 5 ended up being pretty cool.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
interesting that article 5 runs at 60 fps on ps4 with 5 teammates and AI.

Gotta say though, Situations and article 5 ended up being pretty cool.

I keep getting killed by the last guy on Smoke's situation. Happened like three times in a row. Impossible odds for that to happen, three times, three different ways. I wanted to spike my controller for a moment... I had to laugh. Bet I get it first attempt tomorrow. If not, bump down the difficulty.

I keep getting killed by the last guy on Smoke's situation. Happened like three times in a row. Impossible odds for that to happen, three times, three different ways. I wanted to spike my controller for a moment... I had to laugh. Bet I get it first attempt tomorrow. If not, bump down the difficulty.

I just did them all on normal :D

demolitio

Decision time. I have money for one game right now and it's between this and Squad. I want to get this since I did enjoy the beta despite the matchmaking issues, but I worry about its playerbase on PC whereas Squad will probably have one no matter what since Project Reality was so popular.

I never thought I'd have two tactical games to choose from at the same time although Siege is definitely a compromise between tactical and pleasing modern gamers with horrible attention spans. :p

I feel like this game has gone under the radar so I just feel concerned about the player-count come a few months from now. I'm just glad there's no fucking TDM mode that takes 90% of the playerbase away from any sort of objective-based mode which kills the community even quicker. :p

Animator

Decision time. I have money for one game right now and it's between this and Squad. I want to get this since I did enjoy the beta despite the matchmaking issues, but I worry about its playerbase on PC whereas Squad will probably have one no matter what since Project Reality was so popular.

I never thought I'd have two tactical games to choose from at the same time although Siege is definitely a compromise between tactical and pleasing modern gamers with horrible attention spans. :p

I feel like this game has gone under the radar so I just feel concerned about the player-count come a few months from now. I'm just glad there's no fucking TDM mode that takes 90% of the playerbase away from any sort of objective-based mode which kills the community even quicker. :p

Playerbase is fine and healthy. If anything it went up due to good word of mouth. Steam numbers pretty much doubled from launch and the majority bought on uplay anyway.

edit: yup just checked. It had 12000 concurrent players on steam today. Launch day was 6000. Once again the majority of the players are on uplay so having that many players on steam that paid full price to get the game when you can have uplay keys for $35 speaks to the quality.

Top Bottom