• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Review Thread

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is one of those "sit up and take notice" moments you have, when a franchise you thought was solely for young ones makes you double take, watch reviews and go buy the game immediately.

My first Ratchet & Clank adventure this will be, have I been missing out all these years?

Gator86

I'm filled with joy seeing how well this game has been received by the critics. Hope the sales are equally impressive.

The Ratchet and Clank series is just pure fun.

Same. One of the best franchises in gaming. Insomniac had a down couple years, but this and Sunset show they're still masters of their craft. It's been decades now, but they're still one of the most creative and enjoyable devs in the industry.

Lemondish

I loved a lot of ps3 exclusives, but they've dropped the ball on ps4

Bloodborne and Until Dawn are the only ones I really like

I'm not sure if that qualifies as definitively "dropping the ball". Seems like a veiled PS4 has no gaems argument to me.

Because despite what you think, folks very much enjoyed Drive Club, Tearaway, The Show, and Infamous in addition to the two you mentioned. Not sure how a varied selection qualifies as failure, but I guess we have to keep the false narrative of first party weakness going somehow, eh?

This is one of those "sit up and take notice" moments you have, when a franchise you thought was solely for young ones makes you double take, watch reviews and go buy the game immediately.

My first Ratchet & Clank adventure this will be, have I been missing out all these years?
I would say Ratchet and Clank is up there with the top PS exclusive franchises over the years. So, yeah, I'd say you missed out quite a bit. :p

Fortunately, that can be rectified!

timmyp53

my copy is literally 35 minutes away but it says it'll arrive on the 13th. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Fuck yeah you are. All the mainline games are incredible, up there with Sony's first party bests, including your God of Wars, your Metal Gear Solid's, and your Uncharteds. I first got into the series when Tools of Destruction came out. I was 22. It's a timeless series that appeals to all age groups.

AdanVC

Fuck yesssss so cool this game reviewed so well! Now let's hope the game does well and sell loads so we can get more top notch platformers like this. Nintendo slowly starting to get some serious competition on the 3D platforming genre lately!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Who would have thought even a month ago that a platformer, remake from a PS2 era game, would be #1 on Amazon trending Videogames (aka the hourly bestsellers), ahead not only of Far Cry Primal @ $35 (daily gold box deal) but also of Dark Souls 3 releasing on the same day, and the PSN prepaid cards as well?

Honestly, I've always believed in this series, the team and perhaps just as importantly: it's fans.

zeromcd73

Honestly, I've always believed in this series, the team and perhaps just as importantly: it's fans.
Supernatural-Dean.gif
Thanks to you and the team for continuing to make such awesome cartoony and colourful 3D platformers.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why can't it be tomorrow? :( I have to go to gamestop to pick mine up in the morning

I'm not sure if that qualifies as definitively "dropping the ball". Seems like a veiled PS4 has no gaems argument to me.

Because despite what you think, folks very much enjoyed Drive Club, Tearaway, The Show, and Infamous in addition to the two you mentioned. Not sure how a varied selection qualifies as failure, but I guess we have to keep the false narrative of first party weakness going somehow, eh?

If you saw my game collection you'd see how wide of the mark this is.

Been almost entirely on the Sony train for about 15 years.

Not every criticism has an agenda behind it.

oggob

The funny thing about this is that the game can get stupidly chaotic at times and if you don't use the right weapons (ie: and you keep throwing powerful bombs or rockets at grunts), then you can back yourself into a corner and be left with rubbish on some of the more Elite enemies and it becomes a self inflicted difficulty spike, the young ones can have some trouble with ammo management, etc...

It looks kid friendly, but there is a decent depth.

and yes, you have been missing out...

I wasn't expecting scores that high. I was planning on trying it out eventually, I think I'll go ahead and run through it before moving on to Dark Souls.

Or maybe I should play both so I can move to Ratchet when DS pisses me off.

Yes you have but this is a great game to jump in on the franchise

acklame

It's just a really fun game with a surprising amount of stealth fans who are adults. I first started playing it back in the PS2 days but I never think of R&C as a big/super popular series. And yet from time to time I would talk to random friends and colleagues who are not big gamers, and I would be surprised to find out they've played and enjoyed a R&C game before. There are also a lot of people who first played a R&C game when they were a teenager and are now in their late 20s/early 30s.

IGN

9.0 Occasionally Lonely.

Can we please make this a meme?

It's a fine complaint He elaborates on it.

It's already weird that the "too much water" thing became a meme when that was an extremely common criticism of gen 3 pokemon games even before that review.

Fady K

Guys help me out here please. I'm definitely planning on playing this Ratchet and clank. Though i haven't played ANY yet. Should i beat any of the older ones or should i just start with this and take it from here?

Guys help me out here please. I'm definitely planning on playing this Ratchet and clank. Though i haven't played ANY yet. Should i beat any of the older ones or should i just start with this and take it from here?

This is more or less a new beginning for the franchise, so it's perfectly fine to start here.

Suzzopher

This is a reimaging of the first game. So I'd say start here as the original is a product of its time.

Hopefully this will springboard a new series as great as the previous games.

Fady K

This is more or less a new beginning for the franchise, so it's perfectly fine to start here.

This is a reimaging of the first game. So I'd say start here as the original is a product of its time.

Hopefully this will springboard a new series as great as the previous games.

Thanks for the responses guys. I asked cause I have access to pretty much the entire series. Here's hoping this is the first step for many more great games in this series.

pixelation

Who would have thought even a month ago that a platformer, remake from a PS2 era game, would be #1 on Amazon trending Videogames (aka the hourly bestsellers), ahead not only of Far Cry Primal @ $35 (daily gold box deal) but also of Dark Souls 3 releasing on the same day, and the PSN prepaid cards as well?

*sheds happy tear*

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Well deserved!

I have been saying this for several weeks now. That I had a feeling this game would do better than people are expecting (due to 'stricter reviewing' this gen), and will be well received.

Overlooked NPD prediction performer.

Definitely going to pick up a week or two after release. Will be my first Ratchet game. Then going to play through the original trilogy and the future series. Will also check the movie out day 1.

Pixar quality. Amazing. Will be hard to go back to the originals afterwards though, gameplay wise.

Raylan

Banned

AYvZxXt.gif

Calcium

Banned
It's fantastic to see this game be well received critically. Hopefully it sells well so we can get more games like it in the future. I've been a huge fan of the franchise from the beginning so I sincerely hope people take this opportunity to give the series a try.

GOOCHY

It's great to see the positive reviewer and fan reaction. I've seen some folks posting that they're surprised about it. Did you even look at the previews/videos? It's been apparent for months that this thing was going to be tight.

I'm sure a lot of the warm reception comes from the lower price, which I consider to be a brilliant move by Insomniac and I hope other studios take notice. You won't make as much on each sale but you'll sell many times more to make up for it. I also hope they'll prove themselves right once again with Song of the Deep!

I'm the type that usually waits for a good deal or the used market to buy my games because I can't get to them right when they release anyways. But for such a fantastically well reviewed game and at this price point, they've captured me as a day 1 buyer!

In this current gaming climate with so much anti-consumer nonsense happening, I'm so happy to see a game like this get released. I keep asking myself - "okay... what's the catch?"

Plasma

Banned
Not that I'm complaining but is there any reason why it's being released at a budget price? From the reviews and the footage I've seen it looks like anything but a budget game.

Not that I'm complaining but is there any reason why it's being released at a budget price? From the reviews and the footage I've seen it looks like anything but a budget game.

Mostly likely because Sony knows their install base would be very reluctant to pay $60 for this type of game. I can't even count how many people have said that they were going to buy this now instead of waiting for a discount after seeing the price. That's the reality of the situation outside of Nintendo platforms.

Could be wrong but I'm sure Insomniac said because it was a remake and not a totally new game, they said they will be releasing it at a discount price.

Mostly likely because Sony knows their install base would be very reluctant to pay $60 for this type of game. I can't even count how many people have said that they were going to buy this now instead of waiting for a discount after seeing the price. That's the reality of the situation outside of Nintendo platforms.

I don't know about that, Ratchet & Clank is a pretty popular series and I'd gladly pay full price for a game of this type, I'm sure a lot of fans would too, especially when it's a game of this high quality.

Also Platforming games like R&C or Jak & Daxter were very popular, until developers stopped making them, so I'm sure there are lots fans of the genre that will be happy to see a new platforming game.

Top Bottom