• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

Anyone give a quick update on what happened?

dude posts CNN Gif, president retweets it, CNN find original author, finds racist stuff he posted on Reddit. Redditor apologizes?

Yes.

And CNN did the very nice thing of not exposing him to the world, where generally the news and media have had no problems airing out people's dirty laundry before.

GrapeApes

it's ironic that the greatest threat to him being doxxed is being caused by the racist morons he was high fiving just a few days ago
The more this gains steam the likelihood of his info getting revealed. If people actually cared about this dude they'd move on. This guy's bout to learn that the news is actually quite real.

A middle aged white man who said all manner of heinous things that- had the targets been white people- would've made his defenders and t_d aghast, and who purposefully put himself into a news story by claiming credit for a work that's central to it, didn't actually get doxxed.

And yet somehow he's still the victim.

This is what white privilege is, GAF. Stop engaging in it.

I mean no one should be surprised about this. Again, Reddit is the same place that caped for the middle-aged perverts running subreddits about underage children and creep shots (where photos of women taken without their knowledge or consent were shared) that only got shut down after the Silver Fox 360'd them on national television.

Fergie

Banned
The bar for Trump is set incredibly low.

This isn't some run of the mill celeb or politician it's the President of the United States.

wait so what's the difference between doxxing and just finding out the dude's name through his posts and some internet detective work

why did I think doxxing was actually some technical trickery to find out someone's name

it's ironic that the greatest threat to him being doxxed is being caused by the racist morons he was high fiving just a few days ago

My feelings exactly. What a great day. This dude is like Tilda Swinton at the end of Michael Clayton. Looking like a mouse stuck between a cat and a mouse trap.

Nepenthe

wait so what's the difference between doxxing and just finding out the dude's name through his posts and some internet detective work

why did I think doxxing was actually some technical trickery to find out someone's name

Doxxing is releasing a person's private info publicly without their permission in an effort to expose and intimidate them.

A news outlet finding the originator of a meme and not posting it is not doxxing.

Rookhelm

doxxing (as I understand it) is releasing someone's public info, for the implied purpose that other people will use that information against them (hacking, harassment, threats of violence, etc)

I have no problem with them refering him to the police if they think he is a threat. Publicly doxing him doesnt do anything helpful on that front or provide anything probative related to this story.
I could almost understand this kind of defense in the Donald Sterling thread because in that case private conversations were being recorded and then leaked to the press. Explain to me why this particular person deserves to have his identity protected when he was openly posting this material in a public forum and until yesterday seemed quite proud if it?

The grand irony here being that CNN actually is protecting him but just the idea that the threat of being exposed in the future is curtailing bigotry and terrorism seems to be a problem to a lot of people.

remist

Nevermind, we're going in circles.
Read the specific quote in the story. I'm saying that the things they imply thier decision not to dox are contigent on should not be relevant to an ethical news organization.
I could almost understand this kind of defense in the Donald Sterling thread because in that case private conversations were being recorded and then leaked to the press. Explain to me why this particular person deserves to have his identity protected when he was openly posting this material in a public forum and until yesterday seemed quite proud if it?

The grand irony here being that CNN actually is protecting him but just the idea that the threat of being exposed in the future is curtailing bigotry and terrorism seems to be a problem to a lot of people.
He doesnt "deserve" anything. Its just that revealing his name gives us no useful new information and just exposes him to mob justice that has no constraints or proportionality.

BigDes

Doxxing is literally just publicly posting someone's name, address and any other relevant personal details. This is done for malicious purposes. Hell journalists can name private individuals and the are they live in and this isn't doxxing. No one complains about murder suspects being doxxed by the press for instance as it is clearly in the public interest. The technical aspect of how this information is gained really doesn't come into it.

"We spoke to the middle aged author of the gif and have decided not to post his name" is practically the opposite of doxxing

Doxxing is releasing a person's private info publicly without their permission in an effort to expose and intimidate them.

A news outlet finding the originator of a meme and not posting it is not doxxing.

so if they did post it, it would be doxxing? why is that an issue in this scenario again?

mfw I responded to my liberal friend on facebook and he shoots back with

"And I would say this is an attempt to doxx, because the language they use implies that CNN will be releasing his identity as a punitive measure if he makes more of these posts. Again, disagree completely with everything this dude has posted, but still not a fan of CNN trying to flex their power on private citizens, just like I'm not a fan of Trump doing the same thing to reporters."

lmaoooooo

Ominym

Banned
Donald Trump's entire time in office has been one of trying to demonize the press as fundamentally corrupt and untrustworthy.

The wrestling gif when posted in isolation is relatively harmless, but nothing is done in isolation. When you look at how this was retweeted by the standing President of the United States in the context of his open hostility toward the press, and a GOP who already have one member of congress on video body slamming a reporter, it is starting to look a lot like an open incitement to violence toward the Press.

Something I am sure you will agree is hugely concerning when coming from the United States government itself.
This is correct. The person in question became a part of a much larger whole whether they intended to or not and this isn't simply about CNN bullying a random person making .gifs on the Internet. It has context, a lot of it, and anyone ignoring that isn't arguing in good faith.

CNN did the person a massive favor. And as others have pointed out in this thread, it's not a favor everyone would have received equally.

What's the line between doxxing and reporting names that are part of a story. Like when we know the names of family members of a terrorist, is that doxxing?

Read the specific quote in the story. I'm saying that the things they imply thier decision not to dox are contigent on should not be relevant to an ethical news organization.

Given that he was creating bigoted imagery featuring a good portion of their organization, I would say the things they imply (ie. that he should stop being racist) are very relevant.

Ghazi

Hijacking to remind everyone:

SPEZ CHANGES PEOPLES COMMENTS. SPECIFICALLY IN THIS SUB. HES ADMITTED TO IT.

No one REALLY knows who wrote "inappropriate" content on Hans account, and for CNN to act like they do is BS.

Saw this comment on the Donald. Lol

GreyWind

Trump Jr spreading Fake news now saying the troll is 15 years old.

DD-MeoqXoAEOQhh.jpg:large

A moron like his father.

Nepenthe

so if they did post it, it would be doxxing? why is that an issue in this scenario again?

If they had posted anything, it would just be his name, and this would be after getting a clear of some sort to do so. They would not freely release his name along with his phone number(s), home address, and place of work for the express purpose of getting him targeted by anonymous users.

He doesnt "deserve" anything. Its just that revealing his name gives us no useful new information and just exposes him to mob justice that has no constraints or proportionality.

People laid out multiple posts that explained doxxing in a single sentence you still insist on using that term wrong.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I mean no one should be surprised about this. Again, Reddit is the same place that caped for the middle-aged perverts running subreddits about underage children and creep shots (where photos of women taken without their knowledge or consent were shared) that only got shut down after the Silver Fox 360'd them on national television.
I heard the creepshot subreddit just got moved to another shitty subreddit that does the same thing, where they do the same creepshots but veil it in some shitty "role playing" about how they are fashion advice and not creepshots.

I think that subreddit is still there. Disgusting.

This is such a mess. All it does is solidify the right even more. Maybe t_d will have to get shutdown in all this spotlighting at least

whatever definition makes me right

This is the perfect way to sum it up, considering that "doxing" as a concept is just short-hand for information gathering online and usually used in a negative context.

I heard the creepshot subreddit just got moved to another shitty subreddit that does the same thing, where they do the same creepshots but veil it in some shitty "role playing" about how they are fashion advice and not creepshots.

I think that subreddit is still there. Disgusting.

I'm not surprised at all. THIS IS REDDIT!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have no problem with them refering him to the police if they think he is a threat. Publicly doxing him doesnt do anything helpful on that front or provide anything probative related to this story.

They did the worst doxxing ever as I know nothing about the guy aside from his dumb reddit handle and his open history of bigotry and bull shit.

Dude did something newsworthy, even if he didn't intend for it (a lot don't), therefore his name should be released.

The difference between reporting and doxxing is malicious with the intent of starting a harassment campaign against someone who hasn't done anything inherently wrong or illegal and are typically not newsworthy. Their activities aren't usually in the public interest.

Nepenthe

This is such a mess. All it does is solidify the right even more.

Everything anyone does that doesn't expressly paint shitlords as saints always "solidifies the right," because all they ever do is co-opt the language of the left in complete contextual vacuums to always position themselves as victims regardless of the situation at hand.

Fuck the right.

Seriously. Fuck them.

Stop caring what they think about anything.

"The post or object that you were commenting has been removed by its owner and can no longer be commented on."

lol white liberals you continue to amaze me - a white liberal

Gets proven wrong about the reasons why this guy is worth releasing his info and not just a "mean gif"? delete facebook post

HStallion

Everything anyone does that doesn't expressly paint shitlords as saints always "solidifies the right," because all they ever do is co-opt the language of the left in complete contextual vacuums to always position themselves as victims.

Fuck the right.

Seriously. Fuck them.

Stop caring what they think about anything.

I farted, now the right are stronger than ever because they agree it stinks.

"The post or object that you were commenting has been removed by its owner and can no longer be commented on."

lol white liberals you continue to amaze me - a white liberal

Gets proven wrong about the reasons why this guy is worth releasing his info and not just a "mean gif"? delete facebook post

Censorship! Free speech!

Challenge him to a debate on Facebook Live and you'll donate the money to charity.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

And do you see the news organization saying they withhold the right to publish said personal information as a strong arm tactic?

CNN didn't need to publish the threat.

flkraven

Is it true that CNN said they have his info and aren't releasing it, but reserve the right to release it in the future if he continues this behavior?

Censorship! Free speech!

Challenge him to a debate on Facebook Live and you'll donate the money to charity.

it literally started at free speech

his argument went from

free speech -> flexing on private citizens like trump flexes on reporters -> doxing is bad no matter who -> ok so it wasn't doxxing, it still makes cnn the fox news of the left -> he wasn't making any terror threats -> ok well his threats weren't specific enough for intervention -> /delete

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
People laid out multiple posts that explained doxxing in a single sentence you still insist on using that term wrong.
Anything to cast the white racist male as a victim. I actually wish CNN had outed him via interview just like that one news station that outed the guy who started the jailbait and watchchildrendie subReddit.

And do you see the news organization saying they withhold the right to publish said personal information as a strong arm tactic?

Yeah, they could have just ruined his life right off the bat. Instead he nuked his account and got away scot-free. Thanks CNN.

Aselith

What's the line between doxxing and reporting names that are part of a story. Like when we know the names of family members of a terrorist, is that doxxing?

Reporting names that are part of a breaking story = reporting. They don't release more than is necessary for the story. In this case, the racist that the president retweeted is the story.

Finding names just because you don't like a person and exposing as much of their information as possible = doxxing

People that dox people are releasing addresses, employers, phone numbers etc. And they are doing that with the express purpose of having a mob go at the person.

Nepenthe

First of all, if the person inserts themselves back into an on-going story in which they were previously relevant, a news outlet has right to publish their info (they had right to publish his info then.) It has literally always been like this. All CNN was break down this facet of journalism for people wondering why we don't know his identity.

Second, everyone still thinking this guy is a victim and CNN are threatening him can unkindly piss off with this narrative.

I meant in the context of previous posts. Which i never claimed they doxed him, only that they had dubious reasons for not doxing him and reserving the right to do it in the future.

dubious reasons like, advocating even more terrorism or harassing/targeting more CNN employees?

HStallion

They could have released the info out right as a whole story and that would have been fully in their right as that's exactly what they do. They dig up info on a story, especially one targeting them specifically in a very negative light, and then give their audience said info.

The guy's meme became political propaganda for a President who loves propaganda so they looked into, found out who he was and then said they'd drop the whole story if he stopped posting about all the Jewish people that worked at CNN and other ugly shit. The guy chickened out and backed off and so did they. Would you preferred if they sued him for slander or something first to make it "official" or whatever?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
While people are worrying about this dude's names getting revealed there are people actively going around spreading the addresses, phone numbers, and even more personal information about the people who work at CNN. Suspiciously not seeing any outrage about that from the people worried about this dude getting his name released.��

Top Bottom