• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

rjinaz

"wow you contacted them about a story? way to strong arm them. of course they're going to do this because being outed as a racist is bad"

"wow you pushed the story without contacting them? maybe if you did contact them you wouldn't have outed them as a racist"

cnn can't win because these people don't want them to

Yeah I mean obviously I don't agree with that thought process. I was just making the point that even if you did come to that conclusion you would weigh things and realize the guy got off easy either way.

Skytylz

Banned
FORCE THEIR HAND PLEASE. I just hope they come out and say, "Screw it the guy is 37 and his name is Ralph Hill." Make him into the martyr he doesn't want to be.

That'd be great.

CNN: Because of pressure from the right, we have decided to release the information. With this information in the public there can be no accusations of it being held as blackmail.

You would think these people would have enough sense not to get their feet wet here with all this man has posted online, but I suppose these days they don't even have to worry about coming across as defending a racist.
His base will applaud him for it.
After Trump's ludicrous display with MSNBC last week, the GOP are going to latch onto this thing and hump it to death to prove the left is "just as bad".
I would encourage them to do that as it will invariably lead to even worse stuff being exposed about the guy.

Fortunately for him he won't be subject to the "he's no angel" treatment that the people he wanted to victimize have to endure.

You aren't wrong, it's something I worry about as well, but I try and remember that we're all in a bit of an echo chamber so it's really easy for that stuff to seem like it's everywhere when it's a small segment of the population.

How can it be a small part of the population though? I mean, every kid in a high school today in North America is connected to a phone, follow a bunch of overnight celebrities who arent held accountable to any standards, who hear a bunch of ideas that would never be said in a public setting....

Id say this is an emerging population that will soon take over... and that older populations are also not ignorant of the internet and what it normalizes either.

Goofalo

I am disappointed in Ted Cruz.

The man has a brilliant legal mind, and he knows very well this isn't "theft by extortion.".

Rafael graduated Harvard Law, was an Associate Attorney General of the US, and has successfully evaded prosecution for a number of serial murders. He knows better.

rjinaz

I hope they get cruz onto interview and just start reading the dude's reddit comments to him.

They should because as far as I know, he's contributing to the conspiracy with the whole IP address, never heard that before. Bring him on the air.

Others called for a very personal form of revenge against CNN, and Kaczynski specifically. A link to a pastebin page that appeared to contain the personal identifying information of Kaczynski, some of his family members and his colleagues circulated on 4chan Wednesday morning. And the neo-Nazi Daily Stormer website called for even more. A popular post called for CNN employees to quit their jobs and denounce the network, or face consequences if they didn’t:

“We are going to track down your parents.
We are going to track down your siblings.
We are going to track down your spouses.
We are going to track down your children. Because hey, that’s what you guys get to do, right? We’re going to see how you like it when our reporters are hunting down your children.”

This is why CNN should have released the guys name. These cunts are feeling emboldened because they feel they are controlling the message over this. Just look at how many simple minds they've managed to influence across the internet, people still posting dumb shit about how they were threatening to 'dox' him... motherfuckers don't even seem to know what the word means.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
You guys are just mean.

I'm not saying I agree with this guy. I'm not claiming to be Wolf Blitzer, some expert on journalism. I'm saying that I am capable of reading and watching news, and I've spent much of my life doing just that. I found this phrasing strange, and I don't recall seeing anything like that before. Specifically in this context where it come off as almost a sort-of threat. It disappointed me, specifically because it gives* the idiots something to rally around.

I don't know why people get so offended by that. I don't know why you need to equate me to some bigoted gamergate follower or act like I'm acting like pseudo legal expert.

Because you disagree with the main consensus. Your opinions don't matter now because pple are now going to assign labels to you to discredit your points. And reading and catching up on the situation it sounds to me like blackmail. "You say youre sorry for making thing or we tell everyone that you(as in his real name there) made a thing"

flkraven

Others called for a very personal form of revenge against CNN, and Kaczynski specifically. A link to a pastebin page that appeared to contain the personal identifying information of Kaczynski, some of his family members and his colleagues circulated on 4chan Wednesday morning. And the neo-Nazi Daily Stormer website called for even more. A popular post called for CNN employees to quit their jobs and denounce the network, or face consequences if they didn’t:

“We are going to track down your parents.
We are going to track down your siblings.
We are going to track down your spouses.
We are going to track down your children. Because hey, that’s what you guys get to do, right? We’re going to see how you like it when our reporters are hunting down your children.”

This is why CNN should have released the guys name. These cunts are feeling emboldened because they feel they are controlling the message over this. Just look at how many simple minds they've managed to influence across the internet, people still posting dumb shit about how they were threatening to 'dox' him... motherfuckers don't even seem to know what the word means.

Honestly, they would have been better off if they just released his name from the beginning

At this point this ends one of two ways:

Trump publicly supports him, emboldens him to come out publicly himself. Homie gets some alt-right financial support but probably loses his job and such.

Someone else finds him and outs him. Homie gets less support, still loses job, holds ultimate L

Nepenthe

Because you disagree with the main consensus. Your opinions don't matter now because pple are now going to assign labels to you to discredit your points. And reading and catching up on the situation it sounds to me like blackmail. "You say youre sorry for making thing or we tell everyone that you(as in his real name there) made a thing"

It's amazing how quickly people can victimize themselves and a guy who we still don't know any identifying information about because he wasn't "doxxed."

Fucking amazing.

GrapeApes

You need to read further. No one asked for an apology.

rjinaz

Why should somebody's opinion matter more than another's? People are free to share their opinion but it doesn't need to be respected just because it's what somebody thinks.

But CNN did not do what you are saying. They said in the statement basically they could if they felt the need but they never told this guy that, they never threatened him when they already told him they wouldn't reveal his name and they didn't give conditions.

At this point this ends one of two ways:

Trump publicly supports him, emboldens him to come out publicly himself. Homie gets some alt-right financial support but probably loses his job and such.

Someone else finds him and outs him. Homie gets less support, still loses job, holds ultimate L

Both are huge L's for him. He doesn't want to be publicly associated with the alt-right. His fake apology was to avoid having his name be tied in with them. I bet he is crying at home wishing people would drop it.

Your paraphrase shows that you haven't read much. No one forced an apology.

You got who said what wrong. Very basic.

Hannassholesolo said "I said im sorry for making thing that blew up beyond my control, please dont tell everyone that I(as in my real name there) made anti-semitic, racist, and violent comments. Im not going to anymore and don't want it to come back to my family or friends"

The Kree

Banned

They didn't ask for an apology.

DD-6UOKWAAMZqYp

https://twitter.com/perlberg/status/882629134668713985

You can stop feeling persecuted now.

Both are huge L's for him. He doesn't want to be publicly associated with the alt-right. His fake apology was to avoid having his name be tied in with them. I bet he is crying at home wishing people would drop it.

Oh ya he definitely wants no part of this like Moriarty and other peeps did when they leaned into it

This is what happens when you start feelin' yourself on the net but then you get caught

flkraven

They didn't ask for an apology.

DD-6UOKWAAMZqYp

https://twitter.com/perlberg/status/882629134668713985

You can stop feeling persecuted now.

This was also CNN:

"After posting his apology, "HanA**holeSolo" called CNN's KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, "HanA**holeSolo" sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change."

He apologized and deleted his posts before CNN ever contacted him.

This was also CNN:

"After posting his apology, "HanA**holeSolo" called CNN's KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, "HanA**holeSolo" sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

In the very quote you posted. In order for there to be blackmail, he would have had to change something under the threat of exposure. He changed voluntarily, and asked CNN not to reveal his real name because he was embarrassed and fearful. CNN agreed with his concern, and stated that he will remain anonymous as long as (and I repeat) he's not feeding the president of the United States hateful memes against his enemies.

Is there some mastermind plot out there by some cartoon villain to make us all stupider, because wow. It's seeming like some stupid beam or some shit is frying our brains.

CNN did nothing to warrant anyone claiming any kind of blackmail or ransom or anything. The line about maybe releasing it in the future is boilerplate stuff, who knows what might happen in the future. It doesn't mean there's some sinister plot or something against the guy. Why would anyone sensible come to that conclusion, unless...

That's not blackmail. Your puddle deep elementary grasp on concepts far above your ability doesn't make it blackmail either, no matter how badly you want it to be.

Mael

All the gesticulation from the right over this makes sense if you know that's from the textbook of GeriatricGerbils.

rjinaz

This was also CNN:

So in your mind CNN shouldn't have added that last line, they should not have kept things real and honest, and should have just kept the obvious to themselves. I mean maybe CNN did go a bit too far, in your mind clearly they did. But in the end a racist is protected and all is right in the world. You can say CNN should have better standards. Well I won't disagree with that, I'm not particularly a fan of CNN at the moment.

The Kree

Banned
Anybody who thinks this is blackmail needs to consider how effective it is when they've publicly given away their supposed leverage.

R0ckman

I'm starting to hate the word "sorry" and "apologize", now its more a phrase for "please don't give me the consequences for my actions" and less a word to epitomize regret and repentance for a disposition.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This was also CNN:

You should actually read what you just posted. Specifically the first five words.

What's funny is that's exactly what the strategy was for Russia to destabilize the USA in that "Foundations of Geopolitics" textbook.

Make White Americans feel that they're being oppressed and persecuted by minorities -> ??? -> Profit?

Russia? You realize this has been going on since plantation owners turned white indentured servants against slaves. This is as old as the US

remist

In the very quote you posted. In order for there to be blackmail, he would have had to change something under the threat of exposure. He changed voluntarily, and asked CNN not to reveal his real name because he was embarrassed and fearful. CNN agreed with his concern, and stated that he will remain anonymous as long as (and I repeat) he's not feeding the president of the United States hateful memes against his enemies.
And you think it's appropriate for them to hold his information hostage on the contingency that he ceases hateful memeing?

flkraven

I'm not one of the people screaming blackmail. I'm just someone criticizing the wording used by CNN. I'm just disappointed this is how they chose to present it. Seems bush league. This wording just adds fuel to the fire.

So in your mind CNN shouldn't have added that last line, they should not have kept things real and honest, and should have just kept the obvious to themselves. I mean maybe CNN did go a bit too far, in your mind clearly they did. But in the end a racist is protected and all is right in the world. You can say CNN should have better standards. Well I won't disagree with that, I'm not particularly a fan of CNN at the moment.

That is literally the only thing I've been saying, but I've been labeled a sympathizer, a gamergater, etc. I literally can't criticize something so obvious like "Man, CNN really shouldn't have phrased things that way. Super weird" without getting jumped all over.

You should actually read what you just posted. Specifically the first five words.

Jesus people. All I've ever said in this whole thread is "that wording is weird and disappointing" but suddenly now I'm being asked to defend claims of blackmail.

And you think it's appropriate for them to hold his information hostage on the contingency that he ceases hateful memeing?

If he continues posting hateful images he continues the behavior that makes him a newsworthy individual now that he's an involuntary public figure, so yeah. It's not holding it hostage, it's saying "this information isn't worth publishing if you want to move on from the whole thing but if you continue putting yourself in the news we may write about it."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Some of you must scream black mail when you break up with someone and agree to not spill each others dirty laundry.

Sianos

The real question is what happened to CNN's right to unlimited ❄🍑? Wow, it's almost as if the right are now realizing that using platforms with widespread national attention to direct targeted harassment is actually bad. All it took was CNN saying that they wouldn't do it to a racist who posted about how suspicious it is so many Jewish people work at CNN, among other hateful garbage.

Amusing how actually doxxing transgender people is very important free speech that should not be deplatformed, but saying that you could - but didn't - reveal the name of that guy who wants to kill all the Muslims is the line that's been drawn.

Top Bottom