• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regular 3DS removed from NOA's site

RM8

OG 3DS is such a beautiful console IMO:

I remember I got a new lens the day the 3DS came out, so I used it to test it out a little.

5569668288_21ed33eb5c_z.jpg

5569668624_874d8df400_z.jpg

5569082417_7aa51f6fb4_z.jpg

5569083037_7d22f5cf21_z.jpg

5569670822_097db8d208.jpg

5569084617_352ba7aa89_z.jpg

5569672106_4f80b1015e_z.jpg

Such an interesting colour.

Somnid

The design was ahead of it's time. 2DS needs time to grow, it's probably the biggest form-factor change since the PSP Go but 3DS XL and Vita are both pretty ugly compared to their predecessors.

MisterHero

I just bought the Yoshi 3DS. This hypothetical brand new model better not have some extremely cool new features and/or form factor.

Wolfe

What does a 3DS lite look like? Better battery and slimmer? Other than that, I can't think of any other improvements.

If it did happen I could see them doing on in a similar style to the XL but just OG sized. I would like to assume it would come with better battery life and at least a 4gb card, other than that I don't know what else they would or could do.

RM8

Of course it looks good under the perfect conditions. It's really pretty ugly though. XL is a huge improvement. I put mine beside my friends OG 3DS and the difference is just shocking.
I strongly disagree. My best friend (AKA the person with the 3DS I get to see the most) has a blue XL, and my launch 3DS will always be nicer looking to me :p I also have a friend who owns the Zelda edition and I think it looks particularly bad. Then I have other friend who has the purple OG version and I think it's superb looking.

These colors look okay, though:

But to me still rather plain and huge.
---

The versions I own:
Game Boy: Pocket [Yellow].
GBA: OG [Purple], Micro [Famicom]
DS: Phat [Electric Blue], Lite [White]
3DS: OG [Aqua Blue]

I'll buy a Japanese 3DS later this year, it's going to be Cobalt Blue:

The XL is comfortable to hold, but damn that thing is ugly as hell. The a redesign is indeed on the way for the base unit, hopefully it carries the torch properly.

MarkusRJR

Original 3DS looks hightech, where XL and 2DS looks like toys. I prefer the more luxury looking 3ds. Would love a 3DS micro..
The problem with the OG 3DS was it had horrible build quality (circle pad coming off, d-pads peeling, weak shoulder buttons, self scratching screen, creaky everywhere) and it's uncomfortable. I'd kill for revision that used higher end materials in a sleek and comfortable form factor. Basically a modern day GBA SP but with metal.

Of course that'll never happen due to costs, but a sleek plastic design like the DSi or GBA SP that is comfortable would be killer.

SuomiDude

I'm waiting for 3DS XL to go down in price. I don't want the regular 3DS or 2DS, XL seems to be just the thing I want, but with Wii U eating all my extra money, I can wait for some crazy sale on XL.

DonMigs85

The 3DS XL would be great if the black matte plastic didn't look so cheap and wasn't prone to grease stains or little scratches that appear out of nowhere. Of course the OG 3DS had its own issues too like fingerprints and paint chipping/wearing off.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, makes sense to phase it out.

The 3DS XL would be great if the black matte plastic didn't look so cheap and wasn't prone to grease stains or little scratches that appear out of nowhere. Of course the OG 3DS had its own issues too like fingerprints and paint chipping/wearing off.

3DS XL Black >>> Original 3DS Black.

bobawesome

Of course it looks good under the perfect conditions. It's really pretty ugly though. XL is a huge improvement. I put mine beside my friends OG 3DS and the difference is just shocking.

The XL isn't much of a looker, either. It's like an ugly girl surrounding herself with even uglier girls to seem more attractive.

I have Aqua Blue as well, and I personally love the color. Your pictures look beautiful! However, the 3DS design and build quality leaves a bit to be desired. It feels a lot more fragile than the DS Lite. The more angular design is a bit more uncomfortable, the screen wobbles more than I'd like, and I feel like I have to close the lid like it's a baby every time in fear of scratching the top screen. Even after I got the 3DS, I still used my DS Lite to play DS games.

The 3DS XL doesn't look as luxurious, but I think it's a bit better functionally.

modsbox

I'm just praying they announce the Nintendo 3DS DS (dual sticks) edition. First because it would be awesome to have a 3DS with two analog sticks stock, and second because it would be the best name ever.

DonMigs85

The problem with the OG 3DS was it had horrible build quality (circle pad coming off, d-pads peeling, weak shoulder buttons, self scratching screen, creaky everywhere) and it's uncomfortable. I'd kill for revision that used higher end materials in a sleek and comfortable form factor. Basically a modern day GBA SP but with metal.

Of course that'll never happen due to costs, but a sleek plastic design like the DSi or GBA SP that is comfortable would be killer.

my old aqua 3DS was actually quite solid and didn't creak (but it had all those other issues you mentioned).
In contrast my black XL is quite creaky and I think it's all due to the battery cover.

MisterHero

Could Nintendo patch 3DSes to play GBA VC games directly? I know people have said it couldn't be done because they run in DS/GBA mode.

I think the OG 3DS is just fine, the XL is the one that needs to be changed. I have the XL and love it but I just don't like its look, it looks cheap, especially compared to how classy the DSiXL looked. I mean look at these.

1329784-nixl_dsi_xl.jpg

DonMigs85

Honestly I just wish they would go back to the tough, non-brittle plastic the original Game Boy used. I dropped mine so many times and it never got cracked or chipped.

DonMigs85

I would love a slight bump in resolution. It would be a nice thing to hold us over until the next handheld.
There's little point in doing that since all games would be upscaled and look blurrier.
And chances are their next handheld will still have a fairly primitive resolution like WVGA or something.

MisterHero

I think the OG 3DS is just fine, the XL is the one that needs to be changed. I have the XL and love it but I just don't like its look, it looks cheap, especially compared to how classy the DSiXL looked. I mean look at these.

1329784-nixl_dsi_xl.jpg
The plastic is nice but a Wii and PS3 have proven to me that shininess is ruined by being dirt magnets.

RM8

I'd love a 3DS Lite (I just want brighter screens and better battery life), but they'd definitely go with the plain, mostly black look of the XL and 2DS :/

Aqua blue for life.
I have this one from launch. I was originally going to get the black one but the blue one looked really good in pictures. However in person, not as good IMO. Also don't like this sparkly effect, prefer flat colours like original DS.

I doubt it's going to happen, but bring on a 3DS Lite, Nintendo.

Elija2

One complaint I have about the 3DS' is that when closed the edges aren't smooth and there's a gap between the top and bottom screens. I like how the old DS' had smooth edges and they looked way better. If they're doing another 3DS revision I'd hope they fix that. How hard would it be to move the 3D slider somewhere else (or maybe they'll remove 3D altogether again)?

impact

Banned
3DS Lite incoming.

Hopefully it's more comfortable to hold than the OG 3DS.

Well if it's smaller then I have no idea how it could be comfortable to hold in adult-sized hands. Even the XL and Vita aren't comfortable to hold for hour+ sessions to me.

MarkusRJR

my old aqua 3DS was actually quite solid and didn't creak (but it had all those other issues you mentioned).
In contrast my black XL is quite creaky and I think it's all due to the battery cover.
My Aqua Blue 3DS has the worse creaking ever and the hinge got incredibly squeaky. It got to the point that buying an XL was basically a requirement for me to use the system. Really sucks. :(

One complaint I have about the 3DS' is that when closed the edges aren't smooth and there's a gap between the top and bottom screens. I like how the old DS' had smooth edges and they looked way better. If they're doing another 3DS revision I'd hope they fix that. How hard would it be to move the 3D slider somewhere else (or maybe they'll remove 3D altogether again)?
The reason for the gap is the screen scratching issue. The top screen is wider, but Nintendo didn't seem to realize that the resistive screen edges are big enough to reach the top when closed and with light amounts (or basically none) of pressure. This lead to tons of people having 2 vertical lines across the top screen. On the XL they basically went all out in terms of separating the screens, but even then some people still have issues when using it on the go.

RM8

It runs my ambassador GBA games pretty well apart from some slight blurring issues.
It's not emulating them, though, it plays them in native DS mode (which is why they behave exactly like DS games on 3DS). That being said, it blows my mind that 3DS can't emulate GBA, I don't think that's the case at all. Even old open handhelds like the Dingoo could do it.

Top Bottom