• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolution gate infintyward responds eurogamer

madmackem

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...all-of-duty-ghosts-dev-infinity-ward-responds

Is all that you've just described the reason the Xbox One version is native 720p and the PS4 version is native 1080p?

Mark Rubin: In a way. I don't know if I can point to one particular cause. Early on, we didn't know where exactly the resolution of anything would fall because we didn't have hardware or the software to support it. We tried to focus in on 1080p, and if we felt like we were on borderline of performance somewhere... We tried to make the best decision for each platform that gives you the best-looking game we could get and maintains that 60 frames a second.

There's no specific, oh, well, the VO chat on Xbox took up so much resources that we couldn't do 1080p native. There's no definitive one to one per se cause and effect. It's just an overall thing. We took each system individually and said, 'okay, let's make the best game for each system.'

What everyone will ask is whether this is the result of the Xbox One simply not being as powerful as the PS4, and you're doing your best with the hardware you have, or whether for future versions you may be able to get the Xbox One version running natively at 1080p?

Mark Rubin: It's very possible we can get it to native 1080p. I mean I've seen it working at 1080p native. It's just we couldn't get the frame rate in the neighbourhood we wanted it to be.

And it wasn't a lack of effort. It wasn't that it was like last minute. We had the theoretical hardware for a long time. That's the thing you get pretty quickly and that doesn't change dramatically. It was more about resource allocation. The resource allocation is different on the consoles. That huge web of tangled resources, whether it's threads-based or if it's GPU threads or if it's memory - whatever it is - optimisation is something that could go theoretically on forever.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why do they always say 720p native upscaled to 1080p instead of just native 720p? It just adds confusion for those not knowledgeable on these things.

That said, the rest of the interview is pretty great. Very detailed info on the challenges of working on Xbox One and launch games in general.

garath

Why do they always say 720p native upscaled to 1080p instead of just native 720p? It just adds confusion for those not knowledgeable on these things.

That said, the rest of the interview is pretty great. Very detailed info on the challenges of working on Xbox One and launch games in general.

Because it is being upscaled? Silly question. It's not being displayed as native 720p. It's being displayed as 1080p. It's upscaled content.

Feorax

Seems to be a lot of backtracking and being very careful throughout this (which I suppose is to be expected), but the general suggestion seems to be that the XB1 theoretically has the system capabilities to match (or at least come close to) 1080p/60fps, but the OS for the machine has several features running in the background (I'm assumnig Kinect, Snap, etc) that have allocated memory that the devs can't get to whether they wan't to make use of these features or not.

Basically it seems IW is hoping that MS will cut back the memory allocated to these features at some point in the future, and allow devs access to more resources. Unfortunately, I can't see that happening for a little while, at least until MS has had more time to optimise these background features.

Dinjooh

Noticed that right off the bat. It's such a non-statement.

I would get some angry customers if I started talking like that at work. "Oh the pic I sent you is upscaled to 1080, don't mind the blurriness."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why is the q&a set up like activision got a call
From MS to do good PR for them ?

It's not good PR. They say that even with Microsoft's engineers helping them the whole way through they couldn't get to 1080 and it was a variety of factors that lead to the resolution being what it is. There's not a single factor, it's the system and OS as a whole that caused it. Obviously he phrases it in a way that makes it not sound as negative but that's what the article states.

Waaghals

If what he says is true, this is even worse than I thought.

I believed that the reasons for going 720p was due to running out of space on EDRAM and lacking good dev tools to manage the memory.

He makes it sound like there is a general problem with GPU resources.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Great read. Sounds like they were swinging at a constantly moving target in terms of OS/memory allocation with XB1. Fits the narrative that MS dev tools are late/behind Sonys.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Because it is being upscaled? Silly question. It's not being displayed as native 720p. It's being displayed as 1080p. It's upscaled content.

the point being is it's the same thing we saw this gen on 360 (and often on PS3) and we never had to deal with the "it's native 720p upscaled to 1080p".

At this generation in consoles I'd hope EVERYTHING was outputted in 1080p. It should really go without saying. All I want to know is what's the game rendering at.

CoG

What everyone will ask is whether this is the result of the Xbox One simply not being as powerful as the PS4, and you're doing your best with the hardware you have, or whether for future versions you may be able to get the Xbox One version running natively at 1080p?

Mark Rubin: It's very possible we can get it to native 1080p. I mean I've seen it working at 1080p native. It's just we couldn't get the frame rate in the neighbourhood we wanted it to be.

Well, duh. That's what happens when the hardware is "simply not powerful enough". If you could not make it happen with a team of MS engineers embedded in your shop -- it's not gonna happen.

madmackem

It's not really good PR. They say that even with Microsoft's engineers helping them the whole way through they couldn't get to 1080 and it was a variety of factors that lead to the resolution being what it is. There's not a single factor, it's the system and OS as a whole that caused it. Obviously he phrases it in a way that makes it not sound as negative but that's what the article states.

It really seems that the os over heads things like snap kinect etc is going to harm this console as the years go by. They are already dealing with a hardware gap then add on whats taken from devs to run the os stuff its going to be an up hill battle.

Interesting interview. They could certainly just be looking to save face by saying that this isn't a "launch game" issue, and that they created the "best" version for each console, but if that's the case, it will be interesting to see what they have to give up, or change to hit 1080p going forward. (Or if they even intend to) The relationship with MS must not be too close anymore if they're willing to lay their problems at the feet of the hardware.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yes, and that is much, much better and different than outputting 720p and letting it being upscaled by my AVR (or my TV).

iBU6AlayjVY0a.gif

IMO Rubin just walked a very dangerous PR tightrope and managed it with grace. He deserves kudos. His wording leaves plenty of room for hope, as well as an out for IW.

stryke

I believed that the reasons for going 720p was due to running out of space on EDRAM and lacking good dev tools to manage the memory.

Frankly, it's likely a combination of all those things.

Mung

This sounds worse than I thought to be honest. They actually put effort into running at 1080p on xbox but couldn't get it running at the right framerate. It isn't that they didn't have time, and they didn't just blame the software.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Well, duh. That's what happens when the hardware is "simply not powerful enough". If you could not make it happen with a team of MS engineers embedded in your shop -- it's not gonna happen.

Yes, because consoles have reached their theoretical limits before they have even launched ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Every 720p game on PS3, 360, and Wii U are upscaled but I've never seen it written like that until the Xbox One started having several games at 720p. It's not just DF that does it, it's in the press almost everywhere like that. It's frustrating since it prevents clear and easy comparisons.

Feorax

It does sound worse, but it also sounds fixable.

Unfortunately, fixing it might mean instability with the likes of snap etc in the sort term.

Looks like MS will have to make a choice between their original vision and their "parity" PR.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
So voice chat isn't build in to the OS anymore?

Interesting interview - he is worried about how much RAM to allocate to things when they have 8GB to play with over the paltry amounts on current gen? Seems odd.

The frame rate difference must have been massive to drop so much, surely 900p if it was close but not quite 60.

Adds further credence to that guy who posted that they were only getting 15 fps when they first got it up and running.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81321425

J-P

Neo Member
Not sounding too good for those hoping that the reason was MS rushing due to being behind schedule and dev tools not being up to snuff. He basically says they knew what they were working with long ago but still couldn't get it to 1080p in the end.

One of the greatest challenges the engineers have to deal with is memory management, or thread management. There are X number of threads in your CPUs. Where in those threads is the stuff that's Microsoft or Sony? Where does it fall? How does it work? We don't have the SDKs for those features yet, and then they come in and you go, okay, well it needs 3MB of RAM - oh, crap, we only allocated two! You can't just take a MB from anywhere. It's not like there's just tonnes of it just laying there. You have to pull it from something else. And now you have to balance that somewhere.

Delicious.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So basically, it's not just hamstrung by eSRAM and the number of ROPs, it's actually just shit hardware all round.

Feorax

So voice chat isn't build in to the OS anymore?

I think it is, along with snap, kinect tracking, skype, etc. that's the problem, even if the dev doesn't need these things being used,said dev still can't access any of the resources allocated to running them.

So basically, it's not just hamstrung by eSRAM and the number of ROPs, it's actually just shit hardware all round.

And shit software by the sounds of it.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
It really seems that the os over heads things like snap kinect etc is going to harm this console as the years go by. They are already dealing with a hardware gap then add on whats taken from devs to run the os stuff its going to be an up hill battle.

That 10% percent reserved for kinect/snap etc. wouldn't do much anyway. The overall system is just weak.

Riky

$MSFT
Mark Rubin: It's not a thing, like pointing to the day he came and said... It wasn't like that. It's a long process. And we're always working with both platforms. There were Microsoft engineers there throughout development. They were always there

So even with Microsoft helping they still couldn't get it higher than 720p, that's pretty revealing.

Skeff

Yes, because consoles have reached their theoretical limits before they have even launched ;)

They haven't of course as you know, but neither have the game graphical features, if both consoles continue to improve and developers add more and more effects, then we're likely still going to be sub-1080 on XB1, though the games will be prettier than this first round, they may not be higher resolution.

EDIT: Rubin did well in this interview, you can't polish a turd, but you don't have to point out it's a turd either. a well handled interview.

Top Bottom