• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Raw64life

SMH at the people who can't tell the difference between collaborating with and funding a developer for a new IP in exchange for making it exclusive to their platform and dropping a mountain of a cash on a developer and telling them to stop making their already in development sequel for other platforms and just put it on theirs.

But between

Iiab.png

...and...

Person that told me about many MS 'things' previously is telling me it's indeed a timed exclusive.

I'm going to go with timed exclusive. It's obvious that MS doesn't want people to know this so they're going to be as vague as possible about the nature of the exclusivity.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
a ballsy move that again highlights how creatively bankrupt Microsoft are.

I liked the reboot so I'll probably just wait for the pc version if the comments here are right.

Kadin

Because its a well received series going from multiplatform to exclusive for seemingly no reason (besides $ obviously). This obviously isn't a Bayonetta 2 situation where the game simply would never get made without said company fronting the costs. Its one thing if a series starts and stays exclusive, but when they build up a fanbase on other platforms and then do something like this saying lolnopenotforyou! it makes people pissed.
Alright I can accept that as a partial reason why. Funny how that immediately made me think about when Final Fantasy went from the days of the SNES to then exclusively over on Sony's consoles going forward. Until recently that is...

It just seems to me that devs and console companies have been playing this game far longer than people remember. We're getting close to having everything on every platform but I still see stuff like this happening for a long, long while.

jiiikoo

Banned
Didn't see this coming. I wouldn't have minded if it was a timed exclusive, but full-on exclusive sucks. I'm not sure if I will get an Xbox One ever (haven't decided, wanting it for Halo 5, but we'll see) so guess there's no way to play this.

Skele7on

Banned
Judging by the thread Microsoft wanted this. People have gone nuts.

Now if it actually is a timed thing which I believe it is, would anyone be as upset/mad?

Probably not.

iNvid02

this is actually an elaborate marketing stunt where the game will eventually rise to the top of the charts when it comes out on other platforms.

its the long con, bravo se, bravo.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Can you people enlighten me ?

Who is crazy buttocks on a train ?

Why you all believe him ?

In a distant nebula, far away from our young galaxy, lay a race of superior beings known as The Buttocks. Their planet looks like a pair of fine, well-sculpted glutes and smells of sandalwood, strawberry with a hint of burrito. There was a special agent on said planet who went by the code name: CBOAT. He was forced to flee his home world due to an invasion from the Bismol Empire. He stumbled upon our world in search of a planet which could sustain his life-cycle.

Disguised as a mild-mannered human, he blended in and eventually found that Earth is accommodating enough to live permanently on. The rest is history... on NeoGAF. Believe™.

im still half asleep

We always have multi-plat games one generation go exclusive the next generation.
We've already seen it with Sonic and Bayonetta on the Wii U & of course Sony has their own lined up.

RoKKeR

Timed exclusivity - Everyone owning one of the major platforms gets to play the game sooner or later
Purchasing an IP - Only owners of the moneyhatter's platform get to play the game (and possible sequels) ever

As a consumer, why would you prefer the latter?
Was making that comment from the perspective of Microsoft. If I want to sell more consoles and think this game is the key, then I shell out for the whole nine yards. It doesn't accomplish anything in my opinion from a business standpoint for Microsoft if people are just going to buy it on the other platforms later.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mononoke

Banned
The beauty is people don't have to boycott the game. It was built into the exclusivity deal.

Well, I'm an X1 owner and I wasn't going to buy the game because I don't agree with the business practice, and don't want to support that sort of thing. But lol I see what you mean.

What I posted in the other thread: Maybe this is Microsoft trying to position Tomb Raider as the Xbox's Uncharted? I mean this was pretty much their MO last gen, i.e. make exclusivity deals with third-party publishers rather than fund significant amounts of first-party studios and software. It's weird that there's no PC version though. The console makers usually don't care about PC when coming up with these exclusivity deals. I'm just surprised everyone is up in arms. Sure, Tomb Raider, was a pretty OK game, but I thought it was pretty ill-received by GAF and it's far from a "betrayalton" when it comes to third party games. It is interesting though that we are seeing exclusivity deals given how freaking expensive it is to make games these days. I thought exclusivity was going to be a thing of the past with this gen, but I guess not. I would bet it probably is timed though like how Bioshock later came out on PS3.

Mahonay

Banned
Every generation of gaming that I can think of from the NES to today has had its fair share of exclusives on one platform versus the other. What exactly makes this situation so unique and upsetting? Serious question here... I'm just not understanding why so much outrage.
It's a series that has been for a long time been associated with the PlayStation name.

HardRojo

Yeah I'm going to go with this:

Exclusive to XBO during Holiday 2015: Act as a counter to Uncharted to try and grab plenty of sales on XBO.
Release on PS4 and PC later: To try and get the sales you missed previously and then some since you avoided competing directly with Uncharted.

I suppose this is their reasoning.

idlewild_

Well, now that we are pretty sure this is a timed exclusive, I am not really that bummed out about it anymore. Sure it sucks not to have it day one on PC after supporting the series on prior entries, but it is not like we are not getting the game at all.

The 'Xbox exclusive' part is a bit more off-putting for me now, was hoping that this was not going to be a cross-gen game. Hopefully the game design is not too negatively impacted from having to fit the game on last-gen.

timedd |:<

Wait, but what does |:< mean?

| is used in Unix systems to redirect output from one command to another for further processing.

Then there's < which tells a command to get the input from a disk file instead of getting it from the user.

Finally, the : is used as a delimiter for variables, usually path variables.

Something like "The input and output converge on the path"? Or... the path is in the middle of input and output?

Gah! I can't figure it out!

BeforeJam

Neo Member
Was there this much of an outrage with dead rising 3?

No, but that's because there's the expectation that Microsoft would've been involved anyway since DR1 was an Xbox exclusive.

Tomb Raider, however; every mainline game TMK was available on PlayStation platforms up until this point.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm an X1 owner and I wasn't going to buy the game because I don't agree with the business practice, and don't want to support that sort of thing.

Yukiko-chan We need more people like you

data-yes-gif.gif

lexi

Banned
You assholes. I bought the original at launch for PC. If I have to wait at all, I'll wait till it's $5 in a steam sale. Not impressed.

Top Bottom