• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Forza 6 and Forza Horizons 3 coming to Windows 10

Bgamer90

Banned
Well... is Microsoft hitting that panic button? All exclusives going to PC leaves zero reasons to own Xbone.

I would be pissed off if I'd have an Xbone.

Again, the majority of console gamers don't own a PC so why would this equal "zero reasons to own" the console?

I can't believe how people here can't get out of their "hardcore gaming bubble" and see things from an average user point of view.

In this case the PS4 being the most powerful console wouldn't be a selling point as most multiplats are on PC anyway. It doesn't make sense.

I am not surprised by Xbox players being upset at this news. I know people say "Why do you give a shit games are going to PC? Does it some how affect your enjoyment on the XB1?"

Ok, but I see where the upset people are coming from. By putting games on PC.....

1) Less people will buy XB1 hardware. How much? Who knows. But there will be less sales.

OR

2) People will sell their XB1 if they have a gaming PC.

You can't deny that these things will happen. I'm not saying it'll happen in droves, or it will be a huge dent.

Now, people like the Xbox console. They want to see it flourish. They are afraid that sales will start to slow down even more, and that maybe MS will see that they don't need to be in the console business anymore.
Unless of course there is cross play, then it won't really matter right?

The question whether Microsoft can find ways to curb the advantages of kb/m in certain games. For instance, if Halo 5 goes to PC, I assume they will have a way to keep all kb/m players together and all game pad users on PC/xboxtogether.

Sydle

Well... is Microsoft hitting that panic button? All exclusives going to PC leaves zero reasons to own Xbone.

Seems like they're finally making good on all the things they've been talking about for the last 2 years. If anything they're a little late according to that leaked Road to Fortaleza doc...

AiKxkVS.png

Really disappointing news...

I dont get why people are happy about this.

Shouldnt there be a reason to get a console? Sure some kids buy these consoles for CoD nowadays.

But other still buy them because of the exclusives. I mean what would happen if Sony wouldnt be the dominating force they are now and all they games would drop to PC? I can see a lot more people salty.
And i wouldnt call this "salty". I surely can understand people that are disappointed.

Sure it helps that a game can sell more. But IMO the Console should have some must haves that are only playable on this consoles and not elsewhere.

The relative success of this initiative comes down to how willing pc gamers will be to buy games on the Windows 10 store and put up with all the limitations inherent there.
And if this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1183848 is anything to go by, then there will be a lot of people who are not going to use windows 10 store - at least
not until Microsoft make big concessions on just how much control they want over the purchases made on their store.

wapplew

It's going to interesting to see how well a console without any exclusive do.
There's never a console with nothing but third party and some "console exclusive". This is truely new territory in console history.

RoKKeR

"I don't get why people are happy about this."

Lmao, are these people serious?

This is a good thing for everyone. Xbox players, PC players, MS, developers...

Bgamer90

Banned

More people to play with and more sales for games I like (hopefully helping to cause these game series to continue on being supported/released for many years).

Also, wouldn't it make sense for developers to be happy about this move due to the reasons I stated above?

Shouldnt there be a reason to get a console? Sure some kids buy these consoles for CoD nowadays.

But other still buy them because of the exclusives. I mean what would happen if all the Sony would be the dominating force they are now and all they games would drop to PC? I can see a lot more people salty.
And i wouldnt call this "salty". I surely can understand people that are disappointed.

Again, most console gamers don't play on PC. This move changes nothing for them as these games are still only on Xbox within the console space. So the reasons to buy the console haven't changed for the majority of people who are console gamers.

Sure it helps that a game can sell more. But IMO the Console should have some must haves that are only playable on this consoles and not elsewhere.

Most people don't agree and this is supported by the list of top selling games on the PS4, and the top selling games on the Xbox One. Console gamers these days simply want solid, popular games to play whether exclusive or not.

What if you don't own a gaming PC?

How about if you owned an XB1 but didn't want a PC?

I'd sell my Xbone and buy a mid-tier PC to play these games, because that mid-tier PC is more powerful and runs these games better. That's at least for me the only logical thing to do, I don't know about other people. Xbone controller is quite like the official pad for PC, so you only need an HDMI cable to plug your PC to your TV. And there you have it, a more powerful platform to play those Xbone "exclusives" on. There's also thousands and thousands of other games you can't play on Xbone, even some PS4 only games.

After the QB announcement I saw zero reasons to buy an Xbone, now I see even fewer reasons. Sorry.

hodgy100

haha what?!

Because more people get to play a game, that's why people are happy. Why can't you understand that simple concept?

I can't wait to play quantum break, it was one one game I really wanted that was on X1 but i wasn't willing to buy a console for just that game.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

But other still buy them because of the exclusives. I mean what would happen if Sony wouldnt be the dominating force they are now and all they games would drop to PC? I can see a lot more people salty.

People buy console because of the cost, and convenience.
If it was because of Exclusives, you would at least expect exclusive sales to be in 10s of million if the console sold 85 million. But how many exclusive games sold above 10million last gen? 1?2? I am guessing its less than 5.

Bl@de

Would be interesting to see sales numbers if this turns out to be true. Because the racing genre has a lot of competition on PC and always had many simulations (from Grand Prix Legends to Assetto Corsa). I doubt Forza would be a big title (especially if they lock it behind the W10 store). But we'll see. The only racing games I play are the Truck Simulators from SCS anyway. But I loved the original Forza 1 on Xbox :)

Ok but if the PC is so great than you can play it where you would obviously rather play it anyway. If you actually have a PC like that MS is only doing you a favor.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Maybe this is MS's answer to the hardware differences between PS4 and XBO.

Now that these are coming to PC, what is still XBO only? Sunset Overdrive? Usually if one game was console exclusive the console would get consideration from me. But I would be willing to just not worry about that one game and just go PC for XB games.

Some, many XBL games are available on Steam, right? If so... more n more getting an XBO at this point is becoming a harder sell. MS probably shoulda just stuck to their orig plans. At least there would be some unique differentiation between XBO and PS4 besides Kinect (and now BC with 360)

rauelius

Still waiting on Sunset Overdrive. I wouldn't get it an XBOne for it, but I sure as HELL would be willing to give MS $60 for a PC version...yeah, I'll buy it on the Windows 10 store.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'd sell my Xbone and buy a mid-tier PC to play these games, because that mid-tier PC is more powerful and runs these games better. That's at least for me the only logical thing to do, I don't know about other people. Xbone controller is quite like the official pad for PC, so you only need an HDMI cable to plug your PC to your TV. And there you have it, a more powerful platform to play those Xbone "exclusives" on. There's also thousands and thousands of other games you can't play on Xbone, even some PS4 only games.

After the QB announcement I saw zero reasons to buy an Xbone, now I see even fewer reasons. Sorry.

But most console gamers have no interest in mid-tier PCs. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

lol

I bought an Xbox cause I want to play computer games and I love and am invested already in Halo, Gears, Forza/s, Fable, Crackdown, Remedy etc.

I don't want to buy a PC, ever. I would say I am in the majority, not the majority on GAF where every 3rd person has a HAL 9000 in every room but the majority for the rest of the human race.

People getting upset or annoyed at this need to take a step back and think if gaming is really for them.

jaypah

The sales of exclusives show that it's not the main driver in consumers deciding to buy a console. I don't even think it's close. It doesn't seem that the majority of console gamers want a PC so for them those games might as well be exclusive as the only way they'll play them is with an XB1.

once you get passed the console war bs, there is no reason to be disappointed unless you have a decent gaming rig and an Xbox, which then I can understand why you would be upset.

Otherwise, there is very little overlap between the markets. General public console only gamers aren't going go out and build a gaming PC because of this. They will still continue with console games.

If they can bring cross play to all their games, filter PC gamers so those that use a game pad can play against Xbox owners, what's the issue,

This also opens the possibility of two tier Xbox release next gen. A base model at 400 and an enthusiast sku at 600+. As Xbox would be more of a service than just one piece of dedicated hardware.

krang

Is it really so hard for people to wrap their heads around the reasons to own a console over a PC?

ekim

Which is fine as long you are going to play those games on PC, you make MS the same amount of money.

Purest 78

I can't agree with this at all.

The very nature of PC gaming is elitist. Not that it's always a bad thing in most cases, but it's always been the the platform for those who are willing to spend time, money and effort to get the experience specifically want, without the user compromising anything... except for time, money and effort. :)

Every PC gamer I know also owns consoles. I think the PC gamer that won't touch a console are the minority.

Kezen

Banned
Still waiting on Sunset Overdrive. I wouldn't get it an XBOne for it, but I sure as HELL would be willing to give MS $60 for a PC version...yeah, I'll buy it on the Windows 10 store.

This one seems by far the less plausible. It's Insomniac's call.

Banned
Cool. More sales potential for those franchises.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into the quantum break backlash again lol.

jaypah

You didn't really answer my question. I asked "what if you didn't want a PC?" and you responded that you'd build a PC. My point is that the majority of console gamers don't have an interest in playing on PC. Also no need to apologize, I also don't own an XB1 and will play these games on PC. I just understand that I'm an outlier.

Bgamer90

Banned

I hope it happens since I want a Sunset Overdrive 2. Any move that brings things closer to that would be great and I'm not sure how any Sunset Overdrive fan could disagree.

eksy

Banned
Its great for Xbox owners tho if its the case. More sales, more money, bigger budget for the next game.

Sounds very similar to trickle-down economics to me. Call me dubious to promises for "bigger and better" games via this excuse.

Just sold mine yesterday for $300. Zero reason to own one.

If I could get $300 for mine, it's gone. Upgrade to 980Ti immediately.

Some people only buy consoles for their exclusives and play everything else on PC. For those, consoles completely lose their appeal as soon as the same games become available on PC.
Exactly. I bought the Wii U on Bayonetta 2 alone (nearly anyway; waiting on the promise of Zelda Wii U). I bought the Wii on Zelda alone, and afterwards it collected dust.

I am one of those people
Same.

Exclusives do very very very little to sell consoles outside of a small group of major heavy hitters.
So why did Phil Spencer put money down for timed-exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox One?

Based Microsoft. They finally decided to keep their word on supporting PC.
Supporting Windows 10 to be precise.

Yup. "Microsoft wants to support PC gamers! Great!" But if you were a PC gamer and supported the Xbox One by purchasing one for it's exclusives (Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza and more promised games on the way e.g. Halo, Gears) then "sorry but not sorry" your Xbox One is now redundant.

IDGAF about cross-save bullshit. My PC can easily be hooked up like any other console to the TV. Now it's all "ecosystem!"

This is me.
Me three.

Qassim

Are you saying no one actually wants to buy consoles but have to because of exclusive games? Because I don't think that's true. I think there is a gigantic market of people who don't want to play games on PC and if they want to play XBO+PC games, then they'll have to buy an XBO because they don't want to play them on PC.

Shin-Ra

"Is this a negative? It can be, but it shows me and I think to pretty much everyone else that the Xbox platform is not the priority but Windows is. "

This is where I think the fanbase isn't aligned with Microsoft. Windows is the platform, Xbox is the brand. Once you understand that Xbox isn't a separate entity you'll realize what MS has essentially always been trying to do.
With the original Xbox, Microsoft deliberately distanced it from Windows PC to assure console players they were serious about providing the console experience without the Windows PC baggage.

Why would anyone be salty?
V
Hell, imagine a Forza 7 designed from the start with a PC version in m ind.
Is it the best thing for Xbone versions of games if developers aren't considering the best technology cocktail for that one version, but also multiple PC specifications, also in competition with other PC developers.

Console exclusive development is limiting and liberating.

MS isn't leaving the market over being second place, if anything this can be seen as still being console exclusive while also feeding the PC market. Everybody wins, except those who think that PC players will ruin their games or something silly like that.
Now that all Xbox IP's are gonna land on PC, the demand for UWA's to not be sandboxed will surely increase tenfold. Hope MSFT addresses all the genuine issues it comes up with. Most importantly freedom to use any overlay, fullscreen variants, injections/.exe mods etc. Handle it like steam does with it's 3rd parties, just use Denuvo only (with an easier alternative for .exe level modding, something like an evolution of JC3 MP mod that's coming up with more freedom for modders).
The vocal PC fanbase requests for mods aren't compatible with ensuring minimal cheating. In single player games as well as online.

For console players it's a reasonable sacrifice not to get unofficial mods for an even playing field.

Nzyme32

The reasons to get the console are exactly the same as they were. The only difference is that now you have the option of going with PC instead if it suits you better, or both - which gives you the added benefit of playing between them depending on your circumstances.

Most people who are buying consoles do not care about buying a PC at a higher price or dealing with that experience. The same is true the other way around of PC users.

For MS it doesn't matter as long as the software keeps selling. In fact, it is better for them since they reach a much wider audience and get better profitability, while access to a wider audience is a selling point to other devs / publishers, so they can get more "exclusive" games / content etc.

The only explanation I can see for people "not having a reason" for either now despite owning one of them before, is salt. (which obviously isn't you, but there are definitely some out there)

Xando

I hope they have cross buy/save for all of their games on PC. Would be really nice to start on XB1 and continue on PC whenever i want.

Which is fine as long you are going to play those games on PC, you make MS the same amount of money.

Yes... I wasn't complaining anything like that. I was pointing out how Xbone might die a swift death. Microsoft gets their money and maybe even more, but they might abandon the sinking ship of Xbox.

Dweebo

Banned
if you bought an xbox one just to be able to play games/don't want or have the funds for a PC and not too worried about exclusives then i can see why this isn't a bad thing. but for those that have a PC and bought an Xbox One for exclusives you basically have a paper weight. that's what i was trying to say in my earlier comment.

Seeing all of this I really feel Microsoft is positioning themselves next gen to make the Windows 10 equivalent of the Steam Machine and go head to head with Steam themselves.

Ryuuga

Banned
With the original Xbox, Microsoft deliberately distanced it from Windows PC to assure console players they were serious about providing the console experience without the Windows PC baggage.

"...Moreover, Microsoft is also finally following through on the long con of using the Xbox as a trojan horse to sneak Windows into the living room."

"...Microsoft tried many times to create set-top boxes or game boxes for the living room that never saw the light of day"

My post was more speaking to their original intentions coming full circle not where they eventually ended up.

if you bought an xbox one just to be able to play games/don't want or have the funds for a PC and not too worried about exclusives then i can see why this isn't a bad thing. but for those that have a PC and bought an Xbox One for exclusives you basically have a paper weight. that's what i was trying to say in my earlier comment.

Seeing all of this I really feel Microsoft is positioning themselves next gen to make the Windows 10 equivalent of the Steam Machine and go head to head with Steam themselves.

I'm trying to say the same thing! :)

MSFT gets their money, but in the meantime they piss off lots of people. And they might even bury the whole Xbox project because of this Win 10/DX 12 move.

All I can say: we'll see. I feel sorry for those Xbone owners who have their box for exclusives only.

Mivey

The vocal PC fanbase requests for mods aren't compatible with ensuring minimal cheating. In single player games as well as online.

For console players it's a reasonable sacrifice not to get unofficial mods for an even playing field.
Why care about an "even playing field" on a single player only (no leaderboards or anything) title? There is more to life than being competitive. Like actually enjoying stuff for pure fun.

Nah. You won't get a PC like this with an OS, a game and a Controller for 350 bucks.

I actually used part picker to build a PC for minimum specs for Quantum Break and it came to about 600 after rebates. I was able to get 960 instead of the 750 I think the said was minimum but point is for 600 I don't think a lot of moms are buying parts for kids to build .

a.wd

I have one, and a PC, and a PS4.

This does not make me unhappy at all. I can play all of my games wherever pretty much. My console does shit my pc does not.

My consoles are underneath my tv and my PC's are in my office.

I dont understand why people are trying to paint this as a bad thing if you have a console.

It just means that MS have 2 platforms in my house, and they are still doing disks, so I can resell if I want, and BC so I can access more of my gaming library. So yeah, happy customer.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sounds very similar to trickle-down economics to me. Call me dubious to promises for "bigger and better" games via this excuse.

Developers making games for a larger user base is far more straightforward than "trickle down economics". Wow -- can't believe this comparison was made.

Exactly. I bought the Wii U on Bayonetta 2 alone (nearly anyway; waiting on the promise of Zelda Wii U). I bought the Wii on Zelda alone, and afterwards it collected dust.

And tell me -- how is the Wii U selling as the oldest current gen console out of the three?

So why did Phil Spencer put money down for timed-exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox One?

1. Exactly -- It was timed, not full. Therefore backing up the point that paying for full wouldn't have been worth it.

2. We are talking about console exclusives going to PC. The majority of console gamers only care about console gaming and therefore these games will continue on being seen as exclusives to them.

Exclusives still matter but they definitely don't as much as they used to. The previous gen (360/PS3) caused a heavy rise in third party games being just as, if not, more important that exclusives and it also caused a rise in game budgets.

Hence why we are seeing far more "console exclusive" games this gen. Exclusives mean less now, and games are more expensive so moves like this are killing to birds with one stone -- continuing on making games look exclusive to the console gamers that care about exclusives while at the same getting more users to buy & play these games via bringing them over to PC.

Yup. "Microsoft wants to support PC gamers! Great!" But if you were a PC gamer and supported the Xbox One by purchasing one for it's exclusives (Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza and more promised games on the way e.g. Halo, Gears) then "sorry but not sorry" your Xbox One is now redundant.

If you feel that way then sell it and use the money to buy the Xbox games that will be coming to PC looking far better than they would on the console.

gai_shain

neogaf is not the core market that microsoft wants to reach with a console. Most people decide between ps4/xbox without pc ever being considered

Top Bottom