• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

rrvv

Are 3rd party publishers really this stupid nowadays? Did Rockstar learned nothing from other companies that were given flack for the always-online DRM scandals on PC versions of games like Assassin's Creed II, Diablo III, & last year's SimCity?

Nobody wants DRM on their games! Period!

nope, investor and share holder like DRM

How come?
FIFA is like the most popular football/soccer game on earth. It's so successful so EA managed to release the game annually since decades ago.

FIFA is a console series. The PC ports are mainly just done as an extra avenue. They aren't the primary focus are and sales reflect that. GTA on PC is a bigger deal in both interest and sales. Even if you just look at it as a whole, GTA V made more money in three days than any game ever. That alone puts any port of it on a different plane from just about anything else.

Yarbskoo

If past GTA ports are any indication, this may not be the only disappointment in store for those looking forward to picking up GTA V on PC.

I'll probably still get it though.

On sale.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
because it's unnecessary? Those who plan to buy legit or going to buy legit. Those who plan to pirate are going to pirate.

it took me an hour to get Max Payne 3 to play because you were required to use their Social Club (at least on first sign in, not sure if it was required after that)

I'd rather those who planned on pirating anyway not be able to play the games I had to pay for to enjoy, and I think it's just fair.

Sothpaw

I'd rather those who planned on pirating anyway not be able to play the games I had to pay for to enjoy, and I think it's just fair.

That's pretty much how I feel, especially if this DRM solution is strong enough to not be cracked for many months. Fuck em.

Sentenza

I'd rather not having to suffer the inconvenience myself as a paying customer just to "punish" a penniless 15 old Chinese kid pirating the game on torrent, actually.

All you are saying is that rootkits are malicious, no argument.

No, I'm saying that part of the definition of what is derogatorily named a rootkit is that it disguises or hides running processes.

I mean, yes, it is a very fucking good question why non-malicious software would want to hide its presence from a user, but I'm not declaring it to be malicious, I'm just telling you what the accepted defintion of rootkit is.

I would say however that if you quit the game and delete it, the DRM should vanish, not linger around. Lingering would be malicious.

Guess what certain DRM solutions do...?

Sothpaw

I'd rather not having to suffer the inconvenience myself as a paying customer just to "punish" a penniless 15 old Chinese kid pirating the game on torrent, actually.

There were so many rich fuckers at my college who never paid a cent for PC games, ever. I do understand your side no question about it; but to me I want that shit to stop.

Spoiler alert: It won't.

Last page someone said FIFA hasn't been cracked yet. So it is at least possible this will be the case for GTA.

Sentenza

There were so many rich fuckers at my college who never paid a cent for PC games.
Well, guess what? i don't want to be the one paying for them either.

I wonder if there is sales comparison between one with DRM and one with not-DRM
Well, no, because a game is typically release with or without DRM, so you don't have comparative sales.

This is probably the closest you'll ever get to a fair comparison about how DRM performs for a game.

Omega

Banned

and that's fine that you feel that way.

I however don't want to have to spend an hour or more trying to play a game I paid money for.

Sentenza

It's still DRM though. Being completely against DRM and then using Steam is just being hypocritical.
Well, thank god(s) I'm not "completely against", because I'm not a fucking zealot.
I'm against with good reason when the DRM is actually harmful for my computer.

A "DRM" which is actually an useful service I like to use and doesn't harm me in any way is totally fine for me.

Longshot

I don't know why they don't use what ARMA uses, DEGRADE or FADE copy protection. When the game detects its a pirate copy, the user can still play, but certain feature are slowly removed until the game is rendered unplayable. I think ARMA 3 turns you into a bird eventually, lol.

Then again, I guess that would make too much sense. Again, this better not inconvenience me in the slightest.

[EDIT: Yep, according to Wikipedia I am correct.]

Wikipedia said:
For example, in ARMA 2, FADE will begin by gradually decreasing the accuracy of the player's weapons, making it very difficult to hit a target. FADE might reverse the left/right controls of vehicles, or make them randomly start and stop moving. Eventually it will turn the player into a bird and display a message saying "Good birds do not fly away from this game, you have only yourself to blame".

Boss Mog

It will get hacked and pirated for sure, very quickly too I bet. In the end this move will only hurt the legitimate buyers as usual. Even R* themselves know it won't work since they delayed the PC version until after the holidays. No matter what a publisher might say, the only reason they delay a PC version over others is because they don't want to lose console sales to PC piracy and that's it.

Last page someone said FIFA hasn't been cracked yet. So it is at least possible this will be the case for GTA.

Possible? Yeah. Probable? I don't think so. As I've said multiple times already, GTA on PC is a much bigger deal than FIFA on PC. As such, the amount of attention and time spent trying to crack it will be much greater.

I don't know why they don't use what ARMA uses, DEGRADE or FADE copy protection. When the game detects its a pirate copy, the user can still play, but certain feature are slowly removed until the game is rendered unplayable. I think ARMA 3 turns you into a bird eventually, lol.

Then again, I guess that would make too much sense. Again, this better not inconvenience me in the slightest.

That system has already been cracked though.

Freeman

Banned
Boss★Moogle;137708566 said:
It will get hacked and pirated for sure, very quickly too I bet. In the end this move will only hurt the legitimate buyers as usual. Even R* themselves know it won't work since they delayed the PC version until after the holidays. No matter what a publisher might say, the only reason they delay a PC version over others is because they don't want to lose console sales to PC piracy and that's it.

R* is so smart that I wouldn't doubt that after the game sells for months on current gen consoles they show up saying that they changed their minds and the PC version won't have DRM, so it sells even more on PC than it would've otherwise while having only positive impact on console sales.

R* going for the triple dip.

Raonak

Banned
Really curious to see how strong this DRM is.

I suspect it's gonna gain a lot of traction if GTAV succeeds in not being cracked for over a month (as is the case with fifa, and soon, lords of fallen) as that's when the majority of a game's sale takes place.

Almighty

Yeah there are some great sales successes on the PC, like Bethesda games for instance.

But you can't just point out outliers and call Rockstar's strategy bullshit. Most PC game launch sales are dwarfed by their console sales.. and the amount of piracy on PC dwarfs the amount of piracy on consoles. These are just facts.

And for all you know, Bethesda would make 10's of millions more if they sold on consoles first.

I'd SO much rather Rockstar not do it this way.. same with them seemingly not giving half a shit about GTA IV's PC engine being remotely optimized.. but I don't think it's a financial backfire for them, I really don't.

Yes I can and I can say that because there is no proof that having a PC version launch the same day hurts console sales and there is no proof that slapping on more and more DRM improves PC sales either. In fact for the DRM part there has actually been reports that it hurts sales on the PC. Just ask Ubisoft and EA.

For all you know maybe if Bethesda did follow Rockstars example they would of sold less on the PC.

And which platform sells more is irrelevant to this argument because I never argued that the PC version outsells the console versions of games. My argument is that the existence of a PC version with no crazy DRM and released day and date with the consoles doesn't seem to hurt the sales of the console versions and I am going to need some hard proof that it does before I stop complaining about publishers being ass clowns when the pull shit like this to their paying PC customers.

Sothpaw

because it's unnecessary? Those who plan to buy legit or going to buy legit. Those who plan to pirate are going to pirate.

That is a defeatist attitude. I think we can all agree that piracy is wrong. So I support companies making efforts to take strong measures to protect their hard earned assets. Of course, ideally a solution comes along that is as convenient for legitimate buyers as possible. And I fully support people's outrage over poorly implemented DRM; if you do not speak up then companies will not strive for better. But no DRM at all is just not an option.

bbdude

A program that disguises its processes while running with priveleged access on a computer.

Like SecuROM does.

prove it

Is that a rhetorical question?
Because I do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Great. If you've read your article you've linked, you'd know that a rootkit circumvents normal means of low level (i.e. "Administrator" or "root") access, which SecuROM doesn't do (to the best of my knowledge).

orava

Interesting to see how this goes. I'm not entirely against DRM. If it actually works and is completely invisible and unobtrusive then fine.

Almighty

That is a defeatist attitude. I think we can all agree that piracy is wrong. So I support companies making efforts to take strong measures to protect their hard earned assets. Of course, ideally a solution comes along that is as convenient for legitimate buyers as possible. And I fully support people's outrage over poorly implemented DRM; if you do not speak up then companies will not strive for better. But no DRM at all is just not an option.

Which is why I consider Steam's DRM to be the perfect compromise. It killed day 0 piracy on the PC which was a huge problem dead and is pretty benign to most people. Companies trying to add more DRM on top of that are just being ass clowns in my book.

Ozium

Having a dupe steam.exe isn't hard. You've never seen someone in your friendslist play a game but when you check it says "Non-Steam" game?

how does adding a non-steam game to your steam library and playing it (available via the +add a game function on steam) have anything to do with piracy?

FIFA is a console series. The PC ports are mainly just done as an extra avenue. They aren't the primary focus are and sales reflect that. GTA on PC is a bigger deal in both interest and sales. Even if you just look at it as a whole, GTA V made more money in three days than any game ever. That alone puts any port of it on a different plane from just about anything else.

Fair enough.
I have no idea that GTA IV is selling that well on PC though.

epmode

nope, investor and share holder like DRM

People who don't know any better, in other words. People who flip out at any article talking about how many people downloaded a torrent of their company's game. The old pirated copy = lost sale thing.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
GTA is too big to give a shit. On top of that this DRM is supposedly not cracked; bring on the glorious PC sales figures.

People who don't know any better, in other words. People who flip out at any article talking about how many people downloaded a torrent of their company's game. The old pirated copy = lost sale thing.

But GTA will get pirated a lot, some people just won't pay for shit if they don't have to, IMO GTA is big enough for that to be a substantial amount of sales.

As a legitimate consumer it would suck however, so I understand peoples complaints.

Teletraan1

Banned
Geez I am so conflicted on which version of this game to get. After the obvious 30fps confirmation for PS4 I was going to wait for this version and see how the port went and then decide. New DRM is always scary. I don't trust the people behind this DRM since they have put some nasty shit on my PC in the past. I will probably just cave and get the PS4 version since I didn't have much hope for a good port that my now aging computer can actually run.

bbdude

I'll let you prove it to yourself.
- Pick a game that has secuROM.
- Run the game.
- Uninstall the game.
- Try and remove secuROM from your system.

What exactly are you implying here? That the normal SecuROM uninstaller doesn't do its job? I don't really care if the uninstaller or "removal tool" actually works. An uninstaller doing a shitty job doesn't make software a rootkit.

There's nothing stopping me from manually uninstalling SecuROM, just like there isn't anything stopping you from shifting the burden of proof.

PC games though tend to have very long tails if they are good and well supported. In my opinion they would of been better served by spending the money they spent on this DRM to add robust mod support for example.

That's not even necessarily true on PC.

I would say it still holds more or less. Any info we get about Steam from third parties tends to paint a picture of most sales coming at release and then when a game is featured during a sale. And PC games tend to depreciate much quicker than their console counterparts.

Now games with monetized online services are obviously different.

I would like to add that I don't agree with Rockstar's decision but I can see why they and others will try things like this.

I mean, yes, it is a very fucking good question why non-malicious software would want to hide its presence from a user, but I'm not declaring it to be malicious, I'm just telling you what the accepted defintion of rootkit is.

No, that was the oft quoted convenient definition of rootkit when SecuROM was a big activism thing, but just because pc users co-opted a term that was and still is in use in more serious computing environments doesn't mean they can re-define it any way they like.

And just because SecuROM had issues with removal (I believe they fixed them) doesn't mean that whatever Rockstar has chosen will have the same issue. Rockstar are not stupid, and in a way, who better to use than the guys who went through the Securom PR debacle and learned from it?

There is absolutely no motivation for a DRM system to be malicious, unless by malicious you mean a pain in the ass to remove if you want to pirate the software.

Since nobody has any evidence this current solution is malicious, the term rootkit is pejorative and nothing more.

Omega

Banned

maybe.

but after Max Payne 3 I was already hesitant to buy any Rockstar game on PC again. When they decided we weren't good enough for a holiday release and instead had to wait 2 more months my interest went even lower.

Now with this? This isn't even Steam Sale worthy for me anymore. I wouldn't even care if it was something out of the way, but apparently it's a source of some of the issues in Lords of the Fallen. It's bad enough they decide to go with even more DRM, they choose one that affects the game just so they can maybe make another $5k from pirates too impatient to wait.

Freeman

Banned
GTA is too big to give a shit. On top of that this DRM is supposedly not cracked; bring on the glorious PC sales figures.

But GTA will get pirated a lot, some people just won't pay for shit if they don't have to, IMO GTA is big enough for that to be a substantial amount of sales.

As a legitimate consumer it would suck however, so I understand peoples complaints.

I think that if the DRM works it certainly would sell more copies on PC, it's a matter of balancing how many people their DRM will piss off compared to how many people that would otherwise pirate will be getting the game. R*'s PR people sure have their work cut out for them. Also, if the people pissed by the DRM on PC end up buying the game on console its even better for R*(they sell you the game and can still sell you the PC copy in the future).

Its not like pirates have a sense of duty that compels them to boycott games that are able to stop piracy, its a matter of convenience, the convenience of not having to pay to play the game, some of them would certainly buy if they don't have an option to pirate.

Foffy

Banned
Amazing that Rockstar is still shitting on the PC userbase in 2014 outside of Max Payne, the only series where the PC version is the definitive version.

Every single 3D GTA game has launched fucking poorly on PC, and it's been up to the PC community to fix every release. Just in the last year or so, GTA III and VC finally got decent controller support without using a keymapping program, and San Andreas is STILL getting fixed for many broken or missing features that are exclusively issues on the PC. Then there was GTA IV, which was one of the worst launches of any PC port ever put on the platform...

I was really, really hoping they learned. I hoped they were just sticking with Steam, just like how Bohemia did with ArmA III, even going so far as to remove its own DRM in that move. But no, we're back to a brute force "DRM will stop it all" card, and apparently it's yet another method that is creating issues in the games its featured in.

[EDIT: Yep, according to Wikipedia I am correct.]

That's inhouse DRM. I think Bohemia made it themselves and Codemasters is the only external studio to have used it, and they probably knew how it worked when Bohemia made Operation Flashpoint under them.

Top Bottom