• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Ah, come on. The majority of them are in poverty and/or are under the age of 15.

Life is never fair, but I guess it's another topic for another time.

If you can afford the PC to run the game you are not in poverty. I could easily pirate all of those games but don't. Also, most people can easily afford at least 1 full price game a month. I know poor people who do it! It's not about being fair, but about being reasonable! They have no excuses.

And as an example, where I work almost everyone pirates games and they all make good salaries. Their excuse is that they can save the money and put it elsewhere, and they will only pay if a game forces them to by being online only, like an mmo.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I never liked the term but holy shit if this doesn't read as "concern trolling".

I don't see why did you bother asking when you obviously don't actually care about the answer, since this was argued for pages already.

How in the world is that concern trolling? what is there to be concerned about? I think its pretty much a fact if people didn't pirate games we would not have to deal with DRM.

For people saying this, is the DRM really that bad that you would rather play at 30fps instead of 60 and whatever resolution you can handle? Honestly curious.

Actually I'm going to get PS4 version anyway because I don't think my PC is powerful enough to drive this game at 1080p and 60fps. I guess I'll wait and see how it goes.

GHG

Just chiming in here...

I have lords of the fallen on PC and haven't noticed anything different compared to what I would experience when playing a regular game.

So yeh... This drm is pretty non-intrusive.

It's really not that big a deal.

Haunted

I have used cracks on games I legitimately bought before. In 100% of cases, it's improved my experience.

Intrusive DRM like Securom or Tages or this stuff is a dead end for customer relations and customer goodwill.

edit: though I will say that FIFA 15 using this and not having been cracked even though it's been out since September is an impressive feat.

What exactly are you implying here? That the normal SecuROM uninstaller doesn't do its job?

It's pretty well documented that it doesn't.

I don't really care if the uninstaller or "removal tool" actually works. An uninstaller doing a shitty job doesn't make software a rootkit.

SecuROM installed null character registry keys that cannot be removed from Windows under any normal circumstance or by a regular user using the regular tools available to them.
SecuROM also installs hidden folders in unrelated directories to either the game or the SecuROM installation directory.

You have to go well out of your way from anything even approaching regular computer use to be able to remove it from your system.

There's nothing stopping me from manually uninstalling SecuROM, just like there isn't anything stopping you from shifting the burden of proof.

I told you to install it so you could find sympathy with the people who aren't super fucking eager to have unwanted software that causes instability and potential attack vectors and security holes just for wanting to play a fucking game they purchased legally (because pirate copies don't have securom).

No, that was the oft quoted convenient definition of rootkit when SecuROM was a big activism thing, but just because pc users co-opted a term that was and still is in use in more serious computing environments doesn't mean they can re-define it any way they like.

The definition of a term is what the majority of people using it take it to mean.
Gay doesn't just mean joyful and happy any more bro.

Since nobody has any evidence this current solution is malicious, the term rootkit is pejorative and nothing more.

I never called this solution a rootkit.
I don't think anyone did.

Foffy

Banned
I have used cracks on games I legitimately bought before. In 100% of cases, it's improved my experience.

Intrusive DRM like Securom or Tages or this stuff is a dead end for customer relations and customer goodwill.

edit: though I will say that FIFA 15 using this and not having been cracked even though it's been out since September is an impressive feat.

This DRM is apparently an advanced remnant of SecuROM, and if that's true at all, all of the criticism in the world is warranted at using such shit.

It's really not that big a deal.

Not+a+big+deal+huh+grab+your+coat+i+m+about+_b9089b6ab0b108609ccb92c75f67b951.jpg

Haunted

At least that means it won't have that shitty Rockstar Social club business on top of all of that, right?

Gamezone

Gold Member
It`s really about finding the right balance. If developers can find a way to get rid of PC pirates without using crappy DRM like always online, im fine.

Yoda

Will wait on a purchase but in all likelyhood I'll still buy it as GTA is one of the series that never disappoints. Short of games with this shit being amazing I'll hold off on purchasing though; tired of them making shit worse for consumers and giving the kindergarden excuse of "blame the pirates!".

At least that means it won't have that shitty Rockstar Social club business on top of all of that, right?

Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

Have fun with that rootkit, brave PC players. I'm waiting to buy when this shit gets removed, or a crack comes out, and the game is on sale. I'm not a fucking pirate. I don't deserve to be thought as one.

LOLCats

Banned
Yeah, people are upset because they're pirates and not because SecuROM/Tages/whatever are known to cause issues.

Reaching for bottom of the barrel material i see.

I was actually talking to the DRM annoyance for legitimate game buyers. I dont pirate games, so i only know the frustration when you cant play a game you purchased due to some online check or 3rd party drm check that fails. Steam only DRM to me is nice because it works and i dont recall a hastle in the past with it.

But uplay, securerom and other drm tactics and techniques do nothing but annoy the shit out of me. Atleast two times where i straight up could not play the game purchased without calling someone to get it worked out.

Aselith

Having a dupe steam.exe isn't hard. You've never seen someone in your friendslist play a game but when you check it says "Non-Steam" game?

You can add games to launch through Steam that are not on Steam but it doesn't authenitcate through Steam like that. What are you talking about?

bbdude

It's pretty well documented that it doesn't.

I probably should've been more clear. I wasn't implying it was either.

SecuROM installed null character registry keys that cannot be removed from Windows under any normal circumstance or by a regular user using the regular tools available to them.
SecuROM also installs hidden folders in unrelated directories to either the game or the SecuROM installation directory.

You have to go well out of your way from anything even approaching regular computer use to be able to remove it from your system.

As I said before, this behavior does not make SecuROM a rootkit.

I told you to install it so you could find sympathy with the people who aren't super fucking eager to have unwanted software that causes instability and potential attack vectors and security holes just for wanting to play a fucking game they purchased legally (because pirate copies don't have securom).

Right, and I asked for evidence SecuROM was a rootkit. Is SecuROM a rootkit, or "unwanted software"?

The definition of a term is what the majority of people using it take it to mean.
Gay doesn't just mean joyful and happy any more bro.

Except I assumed the word "rootkit" was being used in a technical context, where the definition is clear. Since you've taken to redefining the word, I guess you win!

Except I assumed the word "rootkit" was being used in a technical context, where the definition is clear. Since you've taken to redefining the word, I guess you win!

If it walks like a duck, quaks like a duck, swims like a duck, and meets the generally accepted criteria for being a duck, it doesn't actually matter if its a mallard.

Well, at least this means we can now get the game the same time as everyone else since there'd be no worry about piracy cannibalizing sales anymore...right?

Social Club was pretty much fine with GTAV on consoles. Logged in once and it never got in the way, plus I could log into the website online and follow all of my stats, mission progress, use the online map, etc.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I had no idea Rockstar broke mods with updates. I remember seeing the Iron Man mods and crazy shit and thinking wow this game must be like GTA Skyrim with mods.

Is there anywhere I can read about them breaking them?

Does this mean no mods? Because I never saw mod support coming or being tolerated with GTAV, not while GTAO is an active concern.

KHlover

Banned
Same company as SecuRom? No thanks, I won't install anything by them ever again. Shit never worked right. Will buy GTA V if someone manages to crack it.

Kiyo

I don't really see the problem here. The DRM is unintrusive and seems to work as Fifa 15 and LotF have shown. Isn't this the type of DRM we should be praising? I mean if we're so accepting of Steam's DRM, why not this one as well? It does its job without punishing the legit users who have purchased the game.

Derp

Smart move of course.

LotF and Fifa 15 still haven't been cracked, so this DRM is bloody strong.

Good move I say. Not shocked either, since this will bring huge profits when all the Pirates have no choice but to buy the game.

It's like they WANT people to try and pirate it.
Or maybe they want profit? Skidrow and all the other groups have been trying to bypass the DRM for well over a month now. No one has been able to do it. So it won't get pirated.

Vestal

Gold Member
It`s really about finding the right balance. If developers can find a way to get rid of PC pirates without using crappy DRM like always online, im fine.

Look no further than the Witcher. Never had an ounce of DRM on it and has sold like hot cakes.

This is some medieval bullshit on the part of R* and 2K

Top Bottom