• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

Longshot

So in summary what are the drawbacks of this? I'm not a pc gamer so I don't know what this changes. Most I do is play on emulators every now and then.

Shitty performance, installation issues, unnecessary bloatware on your machine, being treated like a dirty pirate when you bought the game with your own money.

However, these issues remain to be seen until the game is released. Only time will tell.

People are underestimating FIFA's popularity. If that isn't cracked yet then Denuvo must be pretty good.

It's one of the first two releases using the system. I'm fairly sure (but not certain) that it took some time for SecuROM to be cracked until a high-profile release came along.

Longshot

It's one of the first two releases using the system. I'm fairly sure (but not certain) that it took some time for SecuROM to be cracked until a high-profile release came along.

I wouldn't be surprised if hacker groups don't jump on this right now and take it up as a challenge in order to have a crack ready on day 1, lol.

[EDIT: Should clarify GTA V is a day 1 purchase on Steam for me.]

SparkTR

Fifa's had a over a month so far.

Though to be fair StarForce took over 400 days to be hacked, and Ubisofts AC2 DRM took something like 2 months. It takes a few months work for a cracking team to find a solution, then the flood gates open and every subsequent game will be cracked instantly.

Almighty

The sales that happen during the "legs" are also more often than not very heavily discounted, so it seems logical to try to get as much as you can out of the first month or two.

Sure, but then again I doubt this DRM will increase sales in the first few months all that much. I think people are underestimating how long most people will be able to wait for a crack if it means that can get the game for free instead of paying 50 or 60 bucks. I also think people might be forgetting that it is a game that could of been played on the consoles for over a year by the time the PC hits. So I am assuming that the vast majority of people who have play it right now have already done so. This whole thing might of been more effective had the PC version released the same time as the console.

This is of course assuming that the current games that have it don't get cracked by then and make this whole DRM scheme moot before GTA5 even hits.

Edit: Let's also keep in mind that the have been plenty of developers who said they made more money during a sale then they did during these precious first few months.

Talax

Shitty performance, installation issues, unnecessary bloatware on your machine, being treated like a dirty pirate when you bought the game with your own money.

However, these issues remain to be seen until the game is released. Only time will tell.
I see. Installation and performance issues are definitely a cause for concern.
As for bloatware, do we know how much space it takes in fifa 15?

FyreWulff

People complaining about DRMed games on their Steam accounts.

Don't want DRM? Shouldn't have let it get the foot in the door.

Kosma

Banned
If Fifa is still not hacked as people say then I can understand why they want to use it.

No point in using cracked drm but if it works then good for them.

Derp

True. But GTA V is a bigger release on PC. Will probably draw more attention this time.

Though to be fair StarForce took over 400 days to be hacked, and Ubisofts AC2 DRM took something like 2 months. It takes a few months work for a cracking team to find a solution, then the flood gates open and every subsequent game will be cracked instantly.
This should be interesting then, i suppose.

I have no idea how cracking works, but if they managed to bypass the DRM on Fifa 15 or LotF, would that mean they could just do the exact same method for any other game using the DRM? And so if that's the case then it's just a matter of them trying to crack one of the current games using it and they're basically set?

I'm really interested, because those crackers take this stuff seriously and see it as a challenge, and i find it entertaining.

Anyone remember Skidrow's statement to Ubi about AC2?
Thank you Ubisoft, this was quite a challenge for us, but nothing stops the leading force from doing what we do. Next time focus on the game and not on the DRM. It was probably horrible for all legit users. We just make their lives easier.

Shit's about to go down again, me thinks.

this is what clueless executives actually believe
I thought it was only logical that if no one can pirate a game, then a lot of those pirates will end up buying it if they have no choice. Damn, I guess i'm just a clueless executive then.

Koobion

Good - if it's resilient enough to stave off pirating for a span of time that the bulk of sales already happened. I despise pirating and have no respect for anybody who does it.

I assume the worst and wouldn't really care otherwise but it's amazing that people in charge of SecuROM still have jobs. What the christ is wrong with this world

Zoned

Actively hates charity
People complaining about DRMed games on their Steam accounts.

Don't want DRM? Shouldn't have let it get the foot in the door.
I don't understand but whenever some publisher pulls inane shit like this, some people put blame on Steam/Valve. Even when it has nothing to do with it.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yay let's screw over our customers just to delay the inevitable for a bit.

FyreWulff

I don't understand but whenever some publisher pulls inane shit like this, some people put blame on Steam/Valve. Even when it has nothing to do with it.

Valve is the one that implemented the Steam DRM and is allowing games to layer another DRM scheme on top of the existing Steam DRM.

Valve DOES have something to do with this. They're not going "oh no Rockstar, please don't do this" when they're staring down that sweet 30% cut of all GTAV PC sales

Almighty

Good - if it's resilient enough to stave off pirating for a span of time that the bulk of sales already happened. I despise pirating and have no respect for anybody who does it.

I would be all for crazy DRM(which I admit the jury is still out on this particular one) in the first few months of a games life if there was a history of companies removing it or replacing it with something like Steam's DRM after a little while. Sadly that rarely happens and I have ran into older games where I had a hard time getting them to work do to truly terrible DRM long after the game has stopped selling.

Koobion

Yay let's screw over our customers just to delay the inevitable for a bit.

The delay means that the bulk of sales at full price have already occurred. People always ignore this. They've made their money by the time it's cracked.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The delay means that the bulk of sales at full price have already occurred. People always ignore this. They've made their money by the time it's cracked.
You'd be kidding yourself if you think that someone who's never had the intention to pay for the game is going to buy it just because they didn't find a cracked version at release.

Orayn

We'll fucking see how this plays. Steam DRM just isn't enough, eh?

Steamworks DRM is unobtrusive, but also not very strong. Most games that use it wind up being cracked basically as soon as they're released.

I don't necessarily agree with the line of thinking that dictates more DRM is the immediate solution, but it's fairly understandable from the publisher's point of view.

Longshot

Derp said:
I thought it was only logical that if no one can pirate a game, then a lot of those pirates will end up buying it if they have no choice. Damn, I guess i'm just a clueless executive then.

Or they'll just choose not to buy it.

Have you ever chosen not to buy a game out of spite? Because I have, and continue to do so.

I have already waited far too long for this game to be given the middle finger yet again.

I'm interested in your game Rockstar, you just don't seem very interested in me.

I'll consider it when it goes on sale, with all DLC included.

Occam

One of the reasons I prefer console games and don't play on PC.
The others are: I actually own my physical games and can transfer ownership, within one generation I need no hardware upgrades to run the latest games, I can just insert the disc and play (on PS4 it even installs while you play, so very little waiting the first time you play a new game).

The others are: I actually own my physical games and can transfer ownership, within one generation I need no hardware upgrades to run the latest games, I can just insert the disc and play (that's how it works on PS4, it even installs while you play).

Cool.

The others are: I actually own my physical games and can transfer ownership, within one generation I need no hardware upgrades to run the latest games, I can just insert the disc and play (that's how it works on PS4, it even installs while you play).

But no infinite backwards compatibility, not nearly as many good deals and no modding at all.

nilbog21

Banned
Honestly the pirates probably enjoy unlocking the game more than actually playing it. I don't know why they keep wasting their time with this... It's just a slap in the face to everyone who purchases it..

The others are: I actually own my physical games and can transfer ownership, within one generation I need no hardware upgrades to run the latest games, I can just insert the disc and play (on PS4 it even installs while you play, so very little waiting the first time you play a new game).

lol4

If it the DRM creates any kind of additional server dependencies, installation limits or machine activations, then purchases of games with this DRM is no go for me.

Good for you. DRM does exists on consoles, digital distribution is very much a big thing on consoles and digital purchases on consoles are much much more restrictive then on PC. But....whatever.

I own my physical computer and my physical storage medium with the data to run my game on it whenever I want. Oh and it will work on my new machine 2, 5, 10 years down the line. Tell me more about other great advantages consoles offer and how they definitley are not closed ecosystems that limit your freedom to do what you want with your own media.

Consoles are so great.

Every game is better on PC. Every single one

Alienous

Otherwise it would be the most pirated game of all time.

Sorry, even as a part-time PC gamer myself there are some decisions that are understandable.

Qassim

That's interesting. What are your thoughts on climate change?

Derp

Or they'll just choose not to buy it.

Have you ever chosen not to buy a game out of spite? Because I have, and continue to do so.
Because everyone who tries to pirate the game (because they want it), but realizes they can't, will just never buy the game, amirite? Every single one of them, amirite? "Can't pirate this game i really really want. Definitely not going to buy it ever." said every pirate ever, amirite?

A large portion of people who pirate games (or movies, or music, etc) never intend to buy them. If they can't find a pirated copy, they just move on to something else.

A pirated copy is not a lost sale.

I'm so tempted to rip this argument to shreds. Alas it would derail the thread.

THRILLH0

Banned
this is what clueless executives actually believe

You're a moron if you think that piracy doesn't impact sales.

Is it 1:1? Of course not but if GTA can't be pirated within a week of release you can bet your ass a bunch of those people will buy it.

Top Bottom