• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Project Beast (From Software/Sony Japan Studio, PS4) [Port begging = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respect

I thought this was already one of the worst kept sony secrets long before this thread started?

Yeah, if you spent any amount of time here the past year+, there were certainly more than whispers something like this was in the works, still would have been nice to get the full reveal at E3 though.

I am personally not complaining though, made for a very unproductive Friday afternoon at work for me and I loved every minute.

Gorillaz

True, but some outlets like Kotaku won't report on this leak because they think it's fake so it'll still be a surprise to some people if this gets revealed at E3.

I'm pretty sure people know about this but it's tied up in legal and contracts. Plus it is the benefit of saying "LOOK WE HERE AT [insert publication] HAVE THE TRUE STORY OF PROJECT BEAST AND WHAT IT ENTAILS"

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maybe they're incorporating their other property with Shadow Tower and Demon's Souls, and this will be called:

Shadow of the Beast. :D

I can't imagine how upset Sony must be about this. The reveal would've been crazy.

I can't honestly think of a completely new reveal which would go down better with the core audience, a la people like all of us. Maybe something from Platinum. Maybe a new home console Zelda. Maybe a new game from Naughty Dog or Retro. Very few games or developers carry this kind of weight with a forum like this.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm pretty sure people know about this but it's tied up in legal and contracts. Plus it is the benefit of saying "LOOK WE HERE AT [insert publication] HAVE THE TRUE STORY OF PROJECT BEAST AND WHAT IT ENTAILS"

Didnt stop Kotaku from leaking the Sony Home shit in the past.

Did the same recently at a boring work presentation. Woke up after a second of sleep with my chin down and transformed the motion of rising my head into a nodding. Classic move. (did this a lot in my army time when we had courses :p)
lol. Yup. Done it a few times myself.

As for the leak, not intentional. DemonNite went silent when he'd already confirmed the game was in the works and even hinted at the internal project name. It would've been shown at E3 and he would've been all smug like he was about Project Morpheus. But this leaks and nada. I wonder if he's treading dangerous ground right now from all his teases both subtle and blatant. Especially now that this leaked and everyone is using his posts as evidence to support it.

This post of his was the most upfront that I recall.

I am not teasing anything... I am making it quite clear that:

Team B is doing DaS2 so they don't have time to think about porting it
Team A doing another project for next gen (obviously)

But this leaks and nada. I wonder if he's treading dangerous ground right now from all his teases both subtle and blatant. Especially now that this leaked and everyone is using his posts as evidence to support it.
Well yeah. This was most likely not meant to be seen until E3, the last thing he'd want is bring more attention to himself so Sony can sniff out leakers.

Yup this would of been a megaton...you can see that from the sheer number of views this thread has.

However it can still be a megaton if they show amazing trailer :eek:

Krakn3Dfx

It still will be.

Yeah, I imagine this won't take much from any E3 announcement, especially given how little we've seen or know. If Sony shows a trailer with the From Software logo in the opening and a Souls-like intro that ends with the character walking through a fog wall, the internet will explode.

Zaventem

dsp.gif

Please bring back scraping spear.

StuBurns

Banned
I doubt Sony are concerned about DemonNite at all, he's never really leaked anything significant, and he's never suggested anything harmful to Sony, he seems very much to be a fan of the company himself.

While people are citing his Beast hints as evidence this game is real, it's not as if people wouldn't have believed it regardless. Sony would be pissed about the leak, not a suggested confirmation by an insider.

Maybe. He could've gotten orders to chill out and lay low for a while after this leak. Or he decided to do so on his own to not make matters worse. I don't want him to get pinched like CBOAT seems to have been.

I doubt Sony are concerned about DemonNite at all, he's never really leaked anything significant, and he's never suggested anything harmful to Sony, he seems very much to be a fan of the company himself.

Well he does work for them. :)

I agree, he's never really leaked anything that anyone could call damaging. Just playful hints and things that are so cryptic that they only make sense after a reveal.

I am hoping this will be just like Dark Souls except without the constant punishment that made it feel like an 8-bit platformer. Yes, I'm aware most of you liked it BECAUSE of that.

I am hoping this will be just like Dark Souls except without the constant punishment that made it feel like an 8-bit platformer. Yes, I'm aware most of you liked it BECAUSE of that.

There really isn't "constant punishment" in these games.
They're actually pretty lenient compared to survival horror games, when you really break things down. Resident Evil 4 killed me more often than Dark Souls.

I can't speak to the effect the reveal would've had on the larger audience but for me the "surprise" is only just ignited thinking back on the totality of wonderful bizarre things there were to see traipsing through DeS and DaS. This just feels like a happenstance glance at the tip of a spear - we can only guess at what form the full body that wields it will take - and we laugh our jolly death laughs as we dangle. A handful of blurry images is basically a fog gate... Umbasa help us from what awaits beyond.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
That's why i think it was not an intentional leak by Sony. This would have been a megaton suprise at E3 and than demonnite (or another gaffer) would have shown his little hint posts over the time with a "guys, i told you *smugface*".

But with this early leak the little hints from him combined with the screens/info make too much sense together. He probably will remain silent till E3 or shortly before.

Welp people are not believing the leak that just happened today but mark my words, its gonna happen. The list has already been hinted through for the past year.

There really isn't "constant punishment" in these games.
They're actually pretty lenient compared to survival horror games, when you really break things down. Resident Evil 4 killed me more often than Dark Souls.

Very true. I think the Souls games are very fair. Like you said RE4 got me so many times for things like QTEs...

I think what gets new people the most is getting used to the methodical nature of combat rather than just running around hacking and slashing.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't honestly think of a completely new reveal which would go down better with the core audience, a la people like all of us. Maybe something from Platinum. Maybe a new home console Zelda. Maybe a new game from Naughty Dog or Retro. Very few games or developers carry this kind of weight with a forum like this.

Which is why when you get right down to it, Sony's strategy is so devilishly clever this generation.

Think about how smoothly they have the order of importance down.

1.) First, they know getting the development community on board so they are not consistently detracting your hardware was essential. So they sat developers down across the industry, diligently listened to their concerns and developed the easiest console development environment to date for them, as well as the most powerful console amongst the three.

Benefit? Wipe the developer complaints off the table; get the technical buzz; win for devs, hardcore and casual gamers, marketing buzz.

2.) Second, they knew laying a foundation meant a clean, simple message that effectively pretends like the gamers are the actual most important element. It's all wool-over-the-eyes marketing lingo, because all they've essentially done is not do something else, but they managed to turn it into a gamer's creed, a battle cry against overstepping boundaries. Even when the other company listened to our demands, it is Sony who appears to be the one who has a clear, consistent message and was "always on our side." Even though we know it's not true, the effectiveness cannot be denied. They continued the one-two with effective targeting campaigns like "For the players" and that nostalgia-laced PlayStation memories commercial.

Benefit? Word of mouth buzz, consumer confidence.

3.) Third,, they know it is word of mouth that consistently drives the most people to the market to buy games. Who drives word of mouth in this industry? The hardcore. So, part of the burgeoning hardcore mission statement is the embrace of indie development community. What did they do? Embrace indies like never before, creating a huge wellspring of positive support from that corner, and getting a whole spectrum of potentially huge future developers under their wing for consideration.

Benefit? Future developers; potential "out-of-nowhere" buzz hits; win for small devs, hardcore gamers.

4.) Fourth, and continuing the word-of-mouth bent, now it's time to start consistently announcing projects aimed at the hardest of the hardcore. Why? Because they get us talking, and nobody spreads more word of mouth about games then hardcore gamers. By securing THE spiritual successor to the #1 hardcore darling of last console generation, if this rumour is true, they not only ensure months of positive buzz and WOM from this community, but a possible critical darling as well creating its own sort of marketing buzz.

Benefit? Gamers who love non-insulting gameplay; win for hardcore gamers, word of mouth buzz.

5.) The rest is all filling in the gaps. Cornerstone marketing agreements with huge partners like Bungie/Activision on Destiny and Ubisoft on Watch Dogs - coincidentally two major new generation franchises both now that will appeal as if in a new dawn as PlayStation centric which is nothing if not good timing for Sony - and the ability to say games on their platform play and look the best provides a critical advantage on top of the price tag. On top of the PS+ Value, they're really killing it.

Benefit? Self-explanatory.

Really, one has to be impressed by the strategy they've employed so far. It is pretty legendary, strategy-wise

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Welp people are not believing the leak that just happened today but mark my words, its gonna happen. The list has already been hinted through for the past year.

Really? I'd love to see when TLOU2 was teased (Actual TLOU spoiler:
Old Ellie fan art notwithstanding
) or Heavenly Sword 2.

I know some people are disappointed at this leak, but I think sometimes leaks can be beneficial. I am even MORE hyped for E3 now.

Me too but it's a rollercoaster. We are gonna spiral down the drop of disappointment when none of this is true and we just get Wonderbook 2.

EDIT: HALF joking. This really does seem legit

Which is why when you get right down to it, Sony's strategy is so devilishly clever this generation.

Think about how smoothly they have the order of importance down.

1.) First, they know getting the development community on board so they are not consistently detracting your hardware was essential. So they sat developers down across the industry, diligently listened to their concerns and developed the easiest console development environment to date for them, as well as the most powerful console amongst the three.

Benefit? Wipe the developer complaints off the table; get the technical buzz; win for devs, hardcore and casual gamers, marketing buzz.

2.) Second, they knew laying a foundation meant a clean, simple message that effectively pretends like the gamers are the actual most important element. It's all wool-over-the-eyes marketing lingo, because all they've essentially done is not do something else, but they managed to turn it into a gamer's creed, a battle cry against overstepping boundaries. Even when the other company listened to our demands, it is Sony who appears to be the one who has a clear, consistent message and was "always on our side." Even though we know it's not true, the effectiveness cannot be denied. They continued the one-two with effective targeting campaigns like "For the players" and that nostalgia-laced PlayStation memories commercial.

Benefit? Word of mouth buzz, consumer confidence.

3.) Third,, they know it is word of mouth that consistently drives the most people to the market to buy games. Who drives word of mouth in this industry? The hardcore. So, part of the burgeoning hardcore mission statement is the embrace of indie development community. What did they do? Embrace indies like never before, creating a huge wellspring of positive support from that corner, and getting a whole spectrum of potentially huge future developers under their wing for consideration.

Benefit? Future developers; potential "out-of-nowhere" buzz hits; win for small devs, hardcore gamers.

4.) Fourth, and continuing the word-of-mouth bent, now it's time to start consistently announcing projects aimed at the hardest of the hardcore. Why? Because they get us talking, and nobody spreads more word of mouth about games then hardcore gamers. By securing THE spiritual successor to the #1 hardcore darling of last console generation, if this rumour is true, they not only ensure months of positive buzz and WOM from this community, but a possible critical darling as well creating its own sort of marketing buzz.

Benefit? Gamers who love non-insulting gameplay; win for hardcore gamers, word of mouth buzz.

5.) The rest is all filling in the gaps. Cornerstone marketing agreements with huge partners like Bungie/Activision on Destiny and Ubisoft on Watch Dogs - coincidentally two major new generation franchises both now that will appeal as if in a new dawn as PlayStation centric which is nothing if not good timing for Sony - and the ability to say games on their platform play and look the best provides a critical advantage on top of the price tag. On top of the PS+ Value, they're really killing it.

Benefit? Self-explanatory.

Really, one has to be impressed by the strategy they've employed so far. It is pretty legendary, strategy-wise

Nice post. It really lays it all out, and it all makes sense in the logical steps they took to get the system to have this much hype. Damn, project beast is just gonna be so awesome. It's so hard to come to this thread and see a couple blurry screens with no info. Anyway, I should get back to studying for my final final.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
I wonder what makes From Software to go back to Playstation platform only game. The Xbox accumulated about 30% profit from Dark Souls 2 so it does have a market.

Maybe with all the issue in Dark Soul 1 and 2 that they decided instead of going multi-platform, they are going to optimize it for one platform only

Gattsu25

Banned
I wonder what makes From Software to go back to Playstation platform only game. The Xbox accumulated about 30% profit from Dark Souls 2 so it does have a market.

Maybe with all the issue in Dark Soul 1 and 2 that they decided instead of going multi-platform, they are going to optimize it for one platform only.

I imagine having sony engineers there to support From with next gen engine development would help offset the cost/time From would have spent in this area on their own. Plus, sony is likely fronting some of the dev costs as well. And would probably also cover all of the marketing costs.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
Was thinking... is this the first time a 4chan leak has actually been right?

Well, there was a leak from 4chan telling us some of the characters in Super Smash Bros for Wii U (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68804555)

I imagine having sony engineers there to support From with next gen engine development would help offset the cost/time From would have spent in this area on their own. Plus, sony is likely fronting some of the dev costs as well. And would probably also cover all of the marketing costs.

True, especially when Dark Souls franchise wasn't a big seller so it would be tough to cover the production cost for their next game.

StuBurns

Banned
Why 'some'? They're almost certainly paying for the whole thing. And unless we know what the Sony and Namco contracts consist of, there's no way to know if being multiplatform is even more profitable for From.

Lingitiz

Maybe with all the issue in Dark Soul 1 and 2 that they decided instead of going multi-platform, they are going to optimize it for one platform only

They'll probably keep using Dark Souls as their multiplatform franchise while building a new exclusive one with Sony. Although it sucks to only on one platform, being exclusive this early gets you a ton of attention and focus. Plus they probably get a nice big budget from Sony and assistance from Japan Studio.

Aruhamel

Banned
If From Software were able to develop Dark Souls 1 & 2 by themselves, I don't see why they'd team up with Sony for funding, since it inevitably means giving up ownership of the IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom