• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Project Beast (From Software/Sony Japan Studio, PS4) [Port begging = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
If From Software were able to develop Dark Souls 1 & 2 by themselves, I don't see why they'd team up with Sony for funding, since it inevitably means giving up ownership of the IP.

You would turn down working with a studio that helped give you international recognition, especially if they wanted to make another game with you? This allows From to have a larger library of Souls games. This is a win/win scenario.

Skittles

If From Software were able to develop Dark Souls 1 & 2 by themselves, I don't see why they'd team up with Sony for funding, since it inevitably means giving up ownership of the IP.
I would imagine it runs on a new engine and development costs for next-gen are higher. So it isn't too surprising that they would team up with sony at the start.

hawk2025

Bigger budget, more resources, better marketing, and a smoother transition into current-gen development.

Aruhamel

Banned
I would imagine it runs on a new engine and development costs for next-gen are higher. So it isn't too surprising that they would team up with sony at the start.
While costs for next-gen development are obviously higher, From seems to be one of those studio who still makes games on the cheap and doesn't seem concerned in the extravaganza of big-budget AAA games. Publisher funding means giving up both profits and the IP.

A lot of these game companies are fighting for their lives right now. From probably looked at the deal as 3 years worth of financial stability as they make the transition to the next gen. From probably has a financial strategy with 3 tiers of games.

High Risk, High Reward-Games like Armored Core that they develop completely on their own. Everything is on From for these games so they likely mitigate the risk by not investing too much money into these games.

Medium Risk, Medium Reward-Dark Souls games, Namco helps with development costs for a piece of the profits.

Low Risk, Low Reward-Licensed games that another publisher pays them to make. Gundam games, etc. They get either no part of the profits or a small portion but only if the game recoups its costs. Only thing lost here is the time they could have spent making a game with higher rewards.

I'm guessing that Sony sweetened the pot and is giving From a portion of the profits for Project Beast as well as letting them test new gen game development for free.

lmbotiva

i believe this to be real or we have heard from Sony by now saying the usual don't believe everything you see on the internetzzzzzz

Respawn

Banned
I wonder what makes From Software to go back to Playstation platform only game. The Xbox accumulated about 30% profit from Dark Souls 2 so it does have a market.

Maybe with all the issue in Dark Soul 1 and 2 that they decided instead of going multi-platform, they are going to optimize it for one platform only
Sony's IP and Japan Studio is involved.

Split teams. Only part of From was working on Dark Souls 2. The director of Dark Souls 1 and Demons Souls Hidetaka Miyazaki didn't even work on Dark Souls 2, but was working on a separate project which everyone believes is this Project Beast.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Split teams. Only part of From was working on Dark Souls 2. The director of Dark Souls 1 and Demons Souls Hidetaka Miyazaki didn't even work on Dark Souls 2, but was working on a separate project which everyone believes is this Project Beast.

Lets just say it is Project Beast.... I wanna believe!

Lets just say it is Project Beast.... I wanna believe!

i-want-to-believe.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
The really big question is if Sony got them on a multi-game contract. Just Beast Souls is a big deal, but getting three of them? Getting From's A-Team on lockdown for a generation? That would be the true megaton.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The really big question is if Sony got them on a multi-game contract. Just Beast Souls is a big deal, but getting three of them? Getting From's A-Team on lockdown for a generation? That would be the true megaton.

There are a multitude of teams down at SCEJ so it wouldn't hurt them if Miyazaki went multi-plat.

i am thinking it will be a multi game contract

too good to pass up imo

hawk2025

Sony would certainly want that -- let's see if From went for it.

Would be exciting to see this new IP and Dark Souls evolve side by side -- hopefully in pretty different directions but with the same fantastic design philosophy behind them.

I think Dark Souls worked for From when it first kicked off.

They were getting recognition and better sales for games they felt pretty confident making.

I think this project is happening, because Namco couldn't afford to fund a cross-gen or next-gen Dark Souls, and by the third iteration of the Souls series, presumably the creative minds behind it are happy to expand on their creative resume. Both going next-gen and having some more creative free reign/opportunity to take risk, must appeal to everyone at From.

So it's probably the right contract at the right time. As long as there's incentive for From to partner with Sony, I am sure they will continue to do so. But it's never smart for either company to commit more than one project to one another.

Alebrije

I know some people are disappointed at this leak, but I think sometimes leaks can be beneficial. I am even MORE hyped for E3 now.

Ended , if the leak is true Sony's E3 will be like going to a concert of you favorite band , you know you will hear great music and the live performance will be a plus.

If Sony delivers these games on e3 is a win for all , that RPG from Guerrilla sounds interesting.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So I haven't really been keeping up with this thread.

But it seems like everyone has come to the conclusion that this is actually legit. Everyone is confident this is real deal?

StuBurns

Banned
But it's never smart for either company to commit more than one project to one another.
I don't really agree with that, long term big budget contracts create security, and they add value to the company in the event of a sale.

They're also good for the publisher, if they're confident they will be strong enough games to be able to sell well with the correct marketing.

From get security, Sony get the new hotness. Could have been attractive to both parties, but it's very difficult to know.

BigDug13

Why 'some'? They're almost certainly paying for the whole thing. And unless we know what the Sony and Namco contracts consist of, there's no way to know if being multiplatform is even more profitable for From.

I'd guess having Sony foot the bill for a game they've been developing for awhile and having the PS4 ending up as being a runaway success, they're not losing a whole lot by focusing on that one platform IMO.

Which is why when you get right down to it, Sony's strategy is so devilishly clever this generation.

Think about how smoothly they have the order of importance down.

1.) First, they know getting the development community on board so they are not consistently detracting your hardware was essential. So they sat developers down across the industry, diligently listened to their concerns and developed the easiest console development environment to date for them, as well as the most powerful console amongst the three.

Benefit? Wipe the developer complaints off the table; get the technical buzz; win for devs, hardcore and casual gamers, marketing buzz.

2.) Second, they knew laying a foundation meant a clean, simple message that effectively pretends like the gamers are the actual most important element. It's all wool-over-the-eyes marketing lingo, because all they've essentially done is not do something else, but they managed to turn it into a gamer's creed, a battle cry against overstepping boundaries. Even when the other company listened to our demands, it is Sony who appears to be the one who has a clear, consistent message and was "always on our side." Even though we know it's not true, the effectiveness cannot be denied. They continued the one-two with effective targeting campaigns like "For the players" and that nostalgia-laced PlayStation memories commercial.

Benefit? Word of mouth buzz, consumer confidence.

3.) Third,, they know it is word of mouth that consistently drives the most people to the market to buy games. Who drives word of mouth in this industry? The hardcore. So, part of the burgeoning hardcore mission statement is the embrace of indie development community. What did they do? Embrace indies like never before, creating a huge wellspring of positive support from that corner, and getting a whole spectrum of potentially huge future developers under their wing for consideration.

Benefit? Future developers; potential "out-of-nowhere" buzz hits; win for small devs, hardcore gamers.

4.) Fourth, and continuing the word-of-mouth bent, now it's time to start consistently announcing projects aimed at the hardest of the hardcore. Why? Because they get us talking, and nobody spreads more word of mouth about games then hardcore gamers. By securing THE spiritual successor to the #1 hardcore darling of last console generation, if this rumour is true, they not only ensure months of positive buzz and WOM from this community, but a possible critical darling as well creating its own sort of marketing buzz.

Benefit? Gamers who love non-insulting gameplay; win for hardcore gamers, word of mouth buzz.

5.) The rest is all filling in the gaps. Cornerstone marketing agreements with huge partners like Bungie/Activision on Destiny and Ubisoft on Watch Dogs - coincidentally two major new generation franchises both now that will appeal as if in a new dawn as PlayStation centric which is nothing if not good timing for Sony - and the ability to say games on their platform play and look the best provides a critical advantage on top of the price tag. On top of the PS+ Value, they're really killing it.

Benefit? Self-explanatory.

Really, one has to be impressed by the strategy they've employed so far. It is pretty legendary, strategy-wise

Great post. People take away from Sony because MS made so many mistakes, but fail to see just how good of a strategy Sony had. Everyone underestimated Sony this gen.

So I haven't really been keeping up with this thread.

But it seems like everyone has come to the conclusion that this is actually legit. Everyone is confident this is real deal?

Nothing about those screens looks like they were lifted from any other title I ever saw. Looks very real and if not, among the greatest fakes of all time. Plus insiders were hinting at a From/Sony joint project last year using the word "beast." Also we know Hidetaka Miyazaki has been working on something all this time.

All thoroughly convincing. And the desire to believe is so strong too.

hawk2025

I suppose the one stickling point from this is what we can't verify:

That it is indeed a collaboration with Sony. Perhaps the leaker added his own little twist to the story after stumbling upon this trailer without really knowing the full story behind it. But at this point it's hard to see how these screens could possibly be fake.

Sephzilla

If it's going to be a "Souls" title I kind of hope Beast Souls isn't the title, that just sounds weird. I'm too used to "D" words at the start of Souls games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom