• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Gosling to star in Blade Runner 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Nook

I'm in
ryan10.gif

I wasn't totally sold on Villenvue after Prisoners. It was very well-made, but it had some story problems in my eyes. But Sicario, that was a fucking powerhouse of a film. I can't wait for this.

Love it.

I have big expectations. Not because its a sequel to Blade Runner but cause Villeneuve is attached to it , which means that this will be a well made movie.

Just bring Vangelis back. The entire sound texture of that world belongs to the greek melodies.

This is a strange sequel idea. It's not a movie I thought would ever get one. I dont know how to feel about it.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

(23,000 CHARACTERS REDACTED)
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. i drive.

the fuck are you doing dude

Pachimari

Wow. Didn't know Deakins would do this one. And Villeneuve is the guy behind Enemy, Prisoners and Sicario? I got to watch those films soon.

Super excited about this sequel.

It's being made by the writer of those guys? Movie could legitimately be better than the original if that's the case.
Not sure if it's the same writer, but Denis Villeneuve is directing and Roger Deakins is doing the cinematography. So we can be certain the movie is going to look amazing

thenexus6

One of the best directors working today, the best cinematographer alive, my favourite film universe, Gosling is a solid actor and fun to watch... get Vangelis on board and i'll have a heart attack.

I really dislike his acting in most films, yeesh.

A film that should not be made with an actor who should not even be in it. Sounds like a great success.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Villeneuve is enough to get excited for this.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
He was electric in Lars and the Real Girl, just a fantastic performance.

His last movies (OGF, Gangster Squad) didn't do his image much good. People see him as this 'one trick pony' which he really is not. People loved him back in 2011, he was a favorite of many. As you mentioned Lars and the Real girl. But what about:

-The Believer
-Fracture
-Half Nelson
-Blue Valentine
-Crazy Stupid Love
-Ides of March
-All Good things (not a good movie, but he was really creepy)

He is an amazing actor, just that his last few movies did him not much good. The Big Short is getting really good reviews (he's called really funny) and he also has a movie with Russell Crowe coming out (directed by Shane Black) and some other movies as well. Clearly taking it into another direction to show how good he really is.

Oh man, I'm torn between my disgust of this project and my love for Ryan Gosling!
So confusing...
just like those feelings I keep having for Ryan Gosling.

overcast

Why? Have you seen Sicario? Prisoners? Movie is in great hands and is going to look gorgeous
Oh this was an older post. But yeah I've seen both. Thought both of them were pretty great. I would say it's done all the right things as far as the people behind the movie. I just don't feel it's a necessary sequel.
It's being made by the writer of those guys? Movie could legitimately be better than the original if that's the case.
Whoa. Slow down. The writing in both Sicario and Prisoners is probably the weakest aspect. The visuals and tension in both of those movies is where they shine.

Mr. Tibbs

Awesome. I didn't care for Prisoners, but Enemy and Sicario are two of the best films of the past decade. Here's hoping it's great!

After seeing Sicario, I'm cautiously excited for this. Their were so many shots in that movie, especially of the landscape, that screamed Blade Runner.

His last movies (OGF, Gangster Squad) didn't do his image much good. People see him as this 'one trick pony' which he really is not. People loved him back in 2011, he was a favorite of many. As you mentioned Lars and the Real girl. But what about:

-The Believer
-Fracture
-Half Nelson
-Blue Valentine
-Crazy Stupid Love
-Ides of March
-All Good things (not a good movie, but he was really creepy)

He is an amazing actor, just that his last few movies did him not much good. The Big Short is getting really good reviews (he's called really funny) and he also has a movie with Russell Crowe coming out (directed by Shane Black) and some other movies as well. Clearly taking it into another direction to show how good he really is.

Didn't realize he had so many movies.
Could I trouble someone for a recommend? As a big fan of Drive and a Place beyond the Pines, what would you recommend I start with? BTW, I've seen OGF, and I agree it's not very good.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Could I trouble someone for a recommend? As a big fan of Drive and a Place beyond the Pines, what would you recommend I start with? BTW, I've seen OGF, and I agree it's not very good.

Sure, OGF is certainly not for everyone and while I loved Drive (in my all time top 10), OGF was def. not for me.

Depends on what genres you like really, or simply if you want to see different sides of him.

Crazy Stupid Love: Fun movie with a great cast. Emma Stone, Julianne Moore, Marisa Tomei and Steve Carell. Romcoms are generally really bad but I really enjoyed this one. One of the reasons being Gosling, he plays this very cool playboy and has great chemistry with Stone (and Carell as well). This is one of his movies the general audience likes. This and The Notebook I would recommend watching with your gf/date. Or just on your own if you don't mind.

Blue Valentine: Heart breaking, incredibly acted and put together drama about a couple. Derek Cianfrance (who also directed Place beyond the pines) beautifully paints this picture about a couple while they are falling in love and switches to them as an older couple where they basically hate each other. It is very relatable (if you've ever been in an actual relationship) and just overall great. Michelle Williams is also amazing in this movie.

Lars and the Real girl and Half Nelson: Maybe not for everyone, but these def. show how good he is. While he got an Oscar nom for Half Nelson, I think his performance in Lars and the Real girl is impeccable. His mannerisms, the way he speaks, looks etc. He was that character and made the movie work.

Fracture: Underrated movie imo, I really enjoyed it and Anthony Hopkins is also great in this.

The Believer: He was young in this one, but really great. Playing a young Jewish man who develops this anti-Semitic philosophy.

udiie

he was hilarious with carell in crazy stupid love
lars and the real girl & half nelson are also both pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom