• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Gosling to star in Blade Runner 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Sure, OGF is certainly not for everyone and while I loved Drive (in my all time top 10), OGF was def. not for me.

Depends on what genres you like really, or simply if you want to see different sides of him.

Crazy Stupid Love: Fun movie with a great cast. Emma Stone, Julianne Moore, Marisa Tomei and Steve Carell. Romcoms are generally really bad but I really enjoyed this one. One of the reasons being Gosling, he plays this very cool playboy and has great chemistry with Stone (and Carell as well). This is one of his movies the general audience likes. This and The Notebook I would recommend watching with your gf/date. Or just on your own if you don't mind.

Blue Valentine: Heart breaking, incredibly acted and put together drama about a couple. Derek Cianfrance (who also directed Place beyond the pines) beautifully paints this picture about a couple while they are falling in love and switches to them as an older couple where they basically hate each other. It is very relatable (if you've ever been in an actual relationship) and just overall great. Michelle Williams is also amazing in this movie.

Lars and the Real girl and Half Nelson: Maybe not for everyone, but these def. show how good he is. While he got an Oscar nom for Half Nelson, I think his performance in Lars and the Real girl is impeccable. His mannerisms, the way he speaks, looks etc. He was that character and made the movie work.

Fracture: Underrated movie imo, I really enjoyed it and Anthony Hopkins is also great in this.

The Believer: He was young in this one, but really great. Playing a young Jewish man who develops this anti-Semitic philosophy.

Good post; he's excellent in Lars and the Believer. I also really enjoyed him in the Ides of March even if the film was a bit of a let down.

Fjordson

I think a lot of people could agree to the fact that some classics, do not need sequels or spiritual reboots.
Well almost no movie that comes out is needed. But a group of talented people collaborating on big budget (I assume) sci-fi is cause for excitement imo.

jelly

Sure, OGF is certainly not for everyone and while I loved Drive (in my all time top 10), OGF was def. not for me.

Depends on what genres you like really, or simply if you want to see different sides of him.

Crazy Stupid Love: Fun movie with a great cast. Emma Stone, Julianne Moore, Marisa Tomei and Steve Carell. Romcoms are generally really bad but I really enjoyed this one. One of the reasons being Gosling, he plays this very cool playboy and has great chemistry with Stone (and Carell as well). This is one of his movies the general audience likes. This and The Notebook I would recommend watching with your gf/date. Or just on your own if you don't mind.

Blue Valentine: Heart breaking, incredibly acted and put together drama about a couple. Derek Cianfrance (who also directed Place beyond the pines) beautifully paints this picture about a couple while they are falling in love and switches to them as an older couple where they basically hate each other. It is very relatable (if you've ever been in an actual relationship) and just overall great. Michelle Williams is also amazing in this movie.

Lars and the Real girl and Half Nelson: Maybe not for everyone, but these def. show how good he is. While he got an Oscar nom for Half Nelson, I think his performance in Lars and the Real girl is impeccable. His mannerisms, the way he speaks, looks etc. He was that character and made the movie work.

Fracture: Underrated movie imo, I really enjoyed it and Anthony Hopkins is also great in this.

The Believer: He was young in this one, but really great. Playing a young Jewish man who develops this anti-Semitic philosophy.

Crazy Stupid Love is a fun film. I couldn't stand him in Fracture, mr chewing gum. I've see him in too many films were he just stares, Place Beyond the Pines, Drive and Only God Forgives. Not sold on him yet.

Anyway, the director on this film. Hell yeah. Very optimistic.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Surprised at the CSL love in here. Not a fan of that one at all. It's ok at first, but goes down hill fast.

Not a fan of Romcoms in general, and single as a line in the sand right now... but I'll keep those in mind for another time.
Just thinking about how awesome Anthony Hopkins is, so think I'm going to go for Fracture, thanks!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
zSoRcCV.jpg

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy Stupid Love is a fun film. I couldn't stand him in Fracture, mr chewing gum. I've see him in too many films were he just stares, Place Beyond the Pines, Drive and Only God Forgives. Not sold on him yet.

Tbf he only did what was asked of him. After they saw how good he was in Drive they wanted that type of character again (probably one of the reasons they cast him in this). And like I said: plenty of great performances in which he shows that he is really versatile and can become that character.

Not a fan of Romcoms in general, and single as a line in the sand right now... but I'll keep those in mind for another time.
Just thinking about how awesome Anthony Hopkins is, so think I'm going to go for Fracture, thanks!

Hehe, no problem. Hopkins is great in it and you can see he is having fun. Enjoy.

A-V-B

Oh, man. The writer behind Green Lantern is responsible for this?

So it'll be tightly directed, beautifully shot, well-acted... uh...

Fingers crossed, I guess.

Watch The Believer if you want less staring and more talking. Blue Valentine as well.

A-V-B

Nobody knows.

He probably shouldn't be, honestly.

I certainly don't want an 80's nostalgia soundtrack. Which is weird, because Blade Runner was an 80's film with an 80's soundtrack, but it was a very unique soundtrack. Like, the wrong direction to take is towards Kung Fury/Hotline Miami where it's blatantly broad 80's nostalgia. Blade Runner had a specific visual and aural tone. Vangelis was definitely a part of that.

The Blade Runner soundtrack worked as well as it did because Vangelis was trying some out-there shit for the time, and trying to evoke one period of time while simultaneously trying to project his art decades into the future. At that moment in time he created a sound that was unique, interesting, and perfectly matched with that film.

I don't think he can do that again. I think he was lucky to do it the once, honestly, especially when you listen to any of his output past 1986.

Getting him back simply to rehash his Blade Runner score would be boring, and would likely get in the way of the film instead of helping push it forward - and that's not even getting into how cliche some of that shit would appear after the very recent renaissance of retro-futuristic synth-based music. People are saying "Get Vangelis" I think out of reflex, as a way to praise his work on the original film, but not because they're actually fans of Vangelis and his work.

They can get someone better. Hopefully they will.

John Williams shouldn't be back for SW either.

I can see that argument being made (and have seen it already in a couple spots) once the movie comes out. I don't know that I'm inclined to agree as of yet, but there are some who argue that there are composers making Williams-style music better than Williams right now.

Fjordson

I still want lots of dark and ambient music on the soundtrack (with some synths here and there). Not a rehash of what Vangelis did, but not too dissimilar either.

They should get Johnny Jewel to do it, though.

edit: almost forgot Johnny did the score for Gosling's Lost River. Maybe he'll have the hook up for Blade Runner!

dsp

I like Gosling, but I really wish they weren't making a sequel to this movie. This could be good for the drum 'n' bass scene, I suppose.

Number_6

Okay, suddenly I am potentially interested in this. It's just, well, Deckard better not be some kind of old fucking replicant, uh-uh, no no, that's for sure. The idea is such a stupid and pointless 'twist' that ONLY exists to make fanboys look for clues and feel smart.

I know Ridley's take on it, so I can only hope and pray that it is never referenced in this sequel.

BTW, the twist here is that Gosling is human, right?

Okay, suddenly I am potentially interested in this. It's just, well, Deckard better not be some kind of old fucking replicant, uh-uh, no no, that's for sure. The idea is such a stupid and pointless 'twist' that ONLY exists to make fanboys look for clues and feel smart.

I know Ridley's take on it, so I can only hope and pray that it is never referenced in this sequel.

BTW, the twist here is that Gosling is human, right?

Well Harrison Ford is coming back, and Scott is still pretty insistent about him being a replicant.

*snip*................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. i drive.

lmao

Number_6

That's exactly what it's going to be.

::sigh::

Headcanon, ACTIVATE!

Seriously though, Deckard being a replicant is on level with ROTJ Vader shouting "Noooo". Totally different changes, totally different situations, on totally different levels, but equally offensive in my eyes.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
::sigh::

Headcanon, ACTIVATE!

Seriously though, Deckard being a replicant is on level with ROTJ Vader shouting "Noooo". Totally different changes, totally different situations, on totally different levels, but equally offensive in my eyes.

But is it Voldemort laughing offensive?

voldemort-smiling-main.jpg

Sotha_Sil

Damn, Ford really is reprising all his classic 1980's roles 30+ years later. I didn't know there was a Blade Runner sequel in the works.

Now we just need a few more Fugutive, Apocalypse Now, and Tom Clancy movies to complete everything.

Number_6

But is it Voldemort laughing offensive?

voldemort-smiling-main.jpg

I was lttp on Harry Potter, so I couldn't say. I was working my way through Hugo and Nebula winning sci-fi while my little sisters read HP. I jumped in when sixth movie came out and my friends in college badgered me into it. Fun stuff though.

Blader

Since David Fincher is seemingly never working again, Villeneuve should just poach Reznor and Ross to score this movie.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Blade Runner 2, hm.

It's been so long that it will be going from futuristic for its time to retro-futuristic unless they change the setting drastically. Not sure how I feel about that.

I'm one of those heretics that don't think too highly of Blade Runner. It's ok movie.

But I do love the sets. Cyberpunkish LA is the true marvel of the movie. If they nail the look and the feel in the sequel then I'm in. Also the director gives me lot of hope. I have also nothing against Gosling. I also hope they don't bring back Ford.

bomma_man

The Blade Runner soundtrack worked as well as it did because Vangelis was trying some out-there shit for the time, and trying to evoke one period of time while simultaneously trying to project his art decades into the future. At that moment in time he created a sound that was unique, interesting, and perfectly matched with that film.

I don't think he can do that again. I think he was lucky to do it the once, honestly, especially when you listen to any of his output past 1986.

Getting him back simply to rehash his Blade Runner score would be boring, and would likely get in the way of the film instead of helping push it forward - and that's not even getting into how cliche some of that shit would appear after the very recent renaissance of retro-futuristic synth-based music. People are saying "Get Vangelis" I think out of reflex, as a way to praise his work on the original film, but not because they're actually fans of Vangelis and his work.

They can get someone better. Hopefully they will.

I can see that argument being made (and have seen it already in a couple spots) once the movie comes out. I don't know that I'm inclined to agree as of yet, but there are some who argue that there are composers making Williams-style music better than Williams right now.

…. and it's not like there's any shortage of dudes doing interesting electronic soundscapes in 2015.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Since there is no production thread for this:

There are many arguments to be made against even the mere idea of a "Blade Runner" sequel. Ridley Scott's 1982 movie is stonecold classic, one the pinnacles of the sciencefiction genre, and frankly, a followup could only pale by comparison. But Alcon Entertainment are doing everything they can to get fans to put their guard down.

First, they hired Denis Villeneuve ("Sicario," "Prisoners") to direct the movie, then they landed Ryan Gosling to star opposite the returning Harrison Ford. Those three names alone would be enough to get us to watch any movie, but that it's a "Blade Runner 2," well, I'm curious to see where it goes.

Alcon has officially announced that production will be begin in July, with Warner Bros. distributing the picture stateside and Sony around the globe. No word yet on an exact release date, but this near the top of our list for 2017. And don't forget, Villeneuve already has a movie in the can, the scifi "Story Of Your Life" which I'd put good money on for Cannes. Check out the press release below.

LOS ANGELES, CA, JANUARY 25, 2016 –Sony Pictures Releasing International will distribute Alcon Entertainment’s followup to Ridley Scott’s 1982 masterpiece BLADE RUNNER in all overseas territories in all media; with Warner Bros. Pictures distributing in North America and Canada through its output agreement with Alcon, it was announced by Alcon cofounders and coCEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.

Denis Villeneuve is directing the film starring Ryan Gosling (The Big Short) and Harrison Ford (Star Wars) who is reprising his role as Rick Deckard. Hampton Fancher (cowriter of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridley Scott. The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to BLADE RUNNER in 2011 from the late producer Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic sciencefiction thriller. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will produce along with Johnson and Kosove. Bud Yorkin will receive producer credit.

Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers. Ridley Scott will also executive produce.

The film marks Villenueve’s third collaboration with 13time Oscar nominee Roger Deakins, who will serve as cinematographer, following Alcon’s Prisoners and the hit drugtrafficking drama Sicario, which brought Deakins his latest Oscar nomination.

Principal photography on Villenueve’s new BLADE RUNNER film is scheduled to begin in July 2016.

States Kosove and Johnson: “We are excited to work with Tom Rothman, Michael Lynton and then entire Sony team on this very special project as well as maintaining our important and longstanding relationship with our domestic partner Warner Bros. Pictures.”

States Tom Rothman: “At Sony, we have made a strong commitment to the international marketplace. We know of few projects with greater international potential than the long dreamed of sequel to Blade Runner, especially given the allstar creative team Andrew and Broderick have assembled. We are deeply grateful to everyone at Alcon, Denis and Ridley for entrusting us with such a gift. Working on a Blade Runner film also fulfills a longtime personal ambition, as I deeply love and admire the original.”

Among its many distinctions, BLADE RUNNER has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by innumerable polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest sciencefiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released in 1982 by Warner Bros. Pictures, BLADE RUNNER was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and was directed by Ridley Scott, following his landmark film, Alien. The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction) and is now regarded by media and cineastes as one of the greatest movies of all time and the defining vision of the cyberpunk genre.

In 1993, BLADE RUNNER was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.

Source: Indiewire

So they start shooting in July, I wonder what release date this will get. 2017 is pretty stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom