• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound Gameplay Demo [extended IGN First demo in OP]

What game does Scalebound most remind you of?

Results are only viewable after voting.

rpg_fan

I'm glad to finally find out just what this game is. And to this point I'm liking what I'm seeing. It's certainly something I'll keep my eyes on going forward.

This initial gameplay video makes it look like it'd be really easy to just let the dragon do the heavy work, hopefully it wont work out that way.

Axass

Game looks great to me, it's the one game I could eventually buy a X1 for.

Game looked uninspiring. Seems like it's a dmc ripoff with a pet dragon. Dante wannabe that can use nero's hook grab. Also i agree with the others, can't stand the main character.

Have you ever played DMC? Because they're nothing alike aside from a slight resemblance between the main characters.

Looked pretty damn good to me. The framerate hitching is a non-issue right now since it's not coming out for quite awhile. Seems a little premature to freak out about it

*shrug*

Today they sold me on Xbox One. Wasn't expecting that

Shaxamo

Neo Member
Looks alright, nothing mindblowing, but knowing Platinum it probably plays excellently.
Really dislike the main character design, and the bad guys look like the same guys I've killed in god knows how many Final Fantasy games. Dragon looks awesome though.

Cleve

Looks great, but still early. I hope they iron out the framerate issues.

I can't believe how much hate the protagonist is getting already.

Golnei

I mean didn't we all complain about Bayonetta at first, or MGR's Raiden?

When did anyone complain about Raiden's MGR design? Though that might not be a pure example, considering it carried over from Solid: Rising...

Bayonetta and Jack Cayman (more in Anarchy Reigns than Madworld) did get similar complaints for their exaggerated designs and odd proportions, but the more common opinion here is that the design is too bland and generic - comparisons could be drawn to Sam in Vanquish, but at least there you were mainly playing as the suit.

I think that Kamiya, like Kojima, Sakurai and Miyazaki is one of those directors you should give blind trust by a good 85%. The man made some of the best action games ever made and is taking risks, I admire him so much, he also can deal with edgy characters more than anyone else.

Frog-fu

Banned
People might diss me for this...

but...

that character design...

LOOKS BOSS AS FUCK, THOSE HEADPHONES ARE COOL YO!

I'm not even kidding. I rike it. It's unique and different than most bland characters these days. I don't even care if it doesn't make sense or whatever, it's like a slightly cooler Nero and yes, I EVEN LIKED THE MUSIC PLAYING DURING COMBAT.

I can tell why people don't like it, though.

lmao, love the enthusiasm.

The MC really looked off to me in the first trailer, but he's growing on me.

Yeah, he's corny, but the motherfucker rides dragons and slays. Fuck it, I'm in.

Those guys are all awesome.

demigod

Have you ever played DMC? Because they're nothing alike aside from a slight resemblance between the main characters.

Son, i'm not the only one in the thread that thinks this. Looks to me like you're the one that never played DMC. Even when the monster died at the end it dispersed into gems/bubbles.

MattXIII

Might be good...

But as of now its doing nothing for me. Bland mmo style environments, sluggish combat, terrible main protag (everything everyone else has mentioned beforehand)
I still see potential, so holding thumbs it sorts itself out.

Will check back in a year

EvB

All of his games have s obnoxious characters. Dante, Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta were all beyond ridiculous.

Ramenman

Kamiya directed Wonderful 101, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta. Comparing it to those games the combat looked rather generic (like Witcher 3) and not like something from the master of character action. But there is still time. Especially to fix the framerate. Was still very rough.

Pretty much, even just the animations of the character are super rough and kind of slow/something, it's hard to tell it's from the director & team behind freaking god-tier BAYONETTA. Game is still early, but it's a bit of a shock. Where we should have an action RPG with DMC/Bayonetta combat, we have an ARPG with... ARPG combat (it's like putting XP and levels into your game forces your combat system into regression :D )
It's already better when fighting the big enemy and you've got all the jump and hooking around, for sure, but I'm still not fully convinced.

When I hear this is a game with a huge world and see this awkard run animation not even properly calibrated to the character's speed, I'm more like "are you sure ?"

Also not a huge fan of HUGE ff13-like numbers for damage, there has to be a more subdued way to do this, just a detail of course.

Also I don't think it looks particularly amazing... it looks like an early game, which is what it is, so it's fine, but not sure why some people find it stunning or gorgeous.

I'll still keep my eyes opened and follow the development. I'm just not super-psyched right now by what I'm seeing. (and I have nothing but praise for platinum and Kamiya :D)

BouncyFrag

Don't know how gaf reacted to her but I loved Bayonetta from the first time I saw her.

MGR Raiden is KojiPro's creation, not PG's.
I just watched one of the early Bayonetta previews and its head and shoulders above what we saw today from Scaleblound.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Graphically the game looks good and I really like the Dragon model, however gameplay wise it looks very rough which get polished up during development.

Honestly speaking though I will keep my eye on this game, well kinda have to since I don't plan to get a Xbone but I wish Kamiya and PlatinumGames all the best in development.

I also hope that it sells well.

Kagutaba

Don't know how gaf reacted to her but I loved Bayonetta from the first time I saw her.

MGR Raiden is KojiPro's creation, not PG's.

I know, I know, but it still feels like he got a spoon full of Platinum.

When did anyone complain about Raiden's MGR design? Though that might not be a pure example, considering it carried over from Solid: Rising...

Bayonetta and Jack Cayman (more in Anarchy Reigns than Madworld) did get similar complaints for their exaggerated designs and odd proportions, but the more common opinion here is that the design is too bland and generic - comparisons could be drawn to Sam in Vanquish, but at least there you were mainly playing as the suit.

Yeah, visually sure, but people are calling him an emo Donte wannabe and stuff. And this guy just doesn't take himself serious at all. It all feels very campy and tongue in cheek to me, like all the rest of the Platinum games really.

Kssio_Aug

Just watched and OMFG! It looks AWESOME!!
I'm so glad that they went this way, because it indeed looks pretty damn good!

I'm a fan of the original DMC and all, but man... I'm positively surprised!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fixed. It's pre-alpha. FFS.

If Kamiya had come out and announced, "Final game will run at, oh, I don't know, about 22-28 fps," then we'd have a point for discussion. As it is, Gamescom 2016 might be a more appropriate time for that debate.
I'll be impressed if it's 30 locked at its current resolution on release.

Game looks great and I like the main character, I think he's hilarious. I loled hard at the "use your words" line when he spoke to the dragon. Only thing that bothers me is the main characters walking / running animation.

The game looks pretty awesome! Different from what I was expecting but I'm liking how it looks so far even though you can tell it's a bit early. It's not as crazy as other Platinum games but this is only a first look, I doubt they'd just go all out with craziness at a first look. The grappling mechanic looks fun and the climbing/attacking huge monsters reminds me of Dragon's Dogma and that's a plus. Don't mind the main character(better than his first appearance) and I love the dragon's design and from the looks of the 4 player co-op teaser, there might be more dragons(or customization/evolution maybe?) I guess? Can't wait for more videos and trailers later on in the months when it gets more finalized.

Akiller

f83f65e112.png

Top Bottom