• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound Gameplay Demo [extended IGN First demo in OP]

What game does Scalebound most remind you of?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looking forward to leveling the character up and increasing his movement speed, opening up more combos, etc etc etc. Classic Platinum hat trick. Absolutely looks like my kind of game. Here's hoping you can turn off the damage numbers.

And now to make some noise in hopes of getting a demo to satiate the thirst this game has already given me.

Servbot24

Banned
The exploring parts look great. Not sold on the combat yet but it looks better than most RPGs for sure. The battle music is so weird, lol

Riposte

The hydra looks about 100 times smaller than he originally did. I wonder if they scaled (HAHAHA) down the concept.

One dragon was enough to block up your screen, I have to wonder how 3-4 dragons next to 3-4 players would work out.

The power of the dragon makes me think you won't be dealing with a mere dozen grunts, but maybe musou levels of enemies. On the other hand, they seem to imply shields to shutdown a rapid style of attack. It's really hard to get a grasp on what the combat is suppose to be like, because everything in the demo is so weak (besides likely being the tutorial area).

Has this been confirmed to be an open-world game? Doesn't seem like it to me.

KageMaru

Game looks great so far! Don't like the character design though, like others have said, it's too much like the new Dante from DMC.

Illucio

Banned
This and Quantum Break will make me buy an Xbox One

The game looks a bit rough, though. But I see a lot of potential.

And I'm glad it's an action RPG instead of a boring action game like Vanquish and Rising.

The game has literally no polish outside the graphics.

I really hope this game is 2 years away, it really needs to find a image, tweak a lot of things, and stick with it. To me the game is too trying to do too many things without a good foundation. All I see when I look at this game are ideas from other games and movies. None of the ideas have any sort of innovation to them and they look were implemented very cheaply.

This is extremely strange to me as Platinum is more known for amazing action gameplay.

ajim

I was pumped when I saw the initial teaser/unveiling all that time back thinking it would be a lot different to this.

Definitely not what I was expecting and it didn't leave Me too impressed! Will keep my eye on it tho and see how it progresses!

Kazuhira

I hate those huge blue slashes when the main character swings his sword,the music is awful too imo
Also, i hope they can improve the framerate,this game needs to be more fast-paced.
I´m not crossing this game off my list because i know it´s still in development but so far,i don´t like it.
btw is that Dante´s VA from DmC?

Toxi

Banned
I don't get the complaints about the main character being a douche/dudebro/tool.

He's basically Dante. Actually, he's probably less douchey than Devil May Cry 3 Dante.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It looks fine. Expectedly a little rough, but they have enough time to iron out performance issues. And I'm also assuming that they're using a character with extremely limited abilities.

pvpness

Mixed feels. The main character is so, so bad. He's worse than his dialog! The AI looks brain dead and surprisingly the combat looks worse. Not what I expect from Platinum at all. I know It's early and I'm sure Platinum squares out the combat/a.i by the next time we see it, just... shockingly bad this time. No hope for that mc regardless.

I do like that you get a pet Rathalos with working light up horns, and armor to match.

Nerokis

I don't get the complaints about the main character being a douche/dudebro/tool.

He's basically Dante. Actually, he's probably less douchey than Devil May Cry 3 Dante.

After watching the IGN extended demo a second time, I have to agree. Problem with his dialogue was less that it made him seem douchey, and more that it made him seem cliche. He seems kind of sweet, actually. :p

Also, mods forgot to add the Ys series to the poll. It's a little faster than Scalebound seems to be, but the combos, effects, RPG numbers flashing around, and weak spot oriented large enemies remind me of Ys. There is also a bit of Rainbow Six there, with the way there's this complementary extra party you have to tactically control as you do your thing.

The more I see, the more excited I am...even though I'll probably never buy an Xbox One.

Has this been confirmed to be an open-world game? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Not sure if it's been confirmed or not but it appears that you travel from floating landmass to landmass via the dragon with loading happening during your trip from a-b. Maybe you pick the zone, then a flying mission takes place. I imagine it's a "no loading screen" open world type of affair. Zoned off areas that are loaded via a form of travel.

Who knows, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

ghibli99

MC actually sounds like a young Nathan Drake if I don't look at him. I'm excited about this game. I'm sure it'll be a night and day difference by the time it releases.

Nzyme32

I wasn't too keen on what they showed at gamescom.

Amusingly though, it was the extra footage on IGN that piqued my interest, since it looks like a nice world to explore.

Not sure if it's been confirmed or not but it appears that you travel from floating landmass to landmass via the dragon with loading happening during your trip from a-b. Maybe you pick the zone, then a flying mission takes place. I imagine it's a "no loading screen" open world type of affair. Zoned off areas that are loaded via a form of travel.

Who knows, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
I'm hoping it's one big open world instead of zones, but I'm sure I'd be happy either way.

Mechazawa

Yeah, at first blush, this didn't look great. Their artstyle shifted to a kind of generic Fable-ey look and the combat didn't look terribly interesting.

It's their first showing though, so hopefully it'll come together.

Tuck

Combat a bit iffy but it looks exactly like my type of game. And I mean... its from kamiya. Hope I get to play it one day.

Definitely reminded me of Horizon, though not quite as cool. But it has a dragon fighting beside you, and thats hella cool.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It looks decent enough but I'm not sold on the gameplay. Hoping for a fight system akin to Ninja Gaiden. That would be great.

Its early yet so we shall see...
I'd fuck with this game hard if it had the combat system/fluidity of Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta/Vanquish. This is why quite a few people here expect much more out of this just because it is Platinum Games. They can't half ass what they're known for and they know it too. Hopefully the combat/feel of the game improves a shit ton come launch time.

Main Character design aside

Love his transformation design

y0N789.gif

How to train your dragon by Dr. Dre. Art style looks cool but not sure I get the headphones thing.
I'm guessing it's what gets him "in the zone". Like how athletes listen to music that gets them pumped before a game or match.

It's weird, but I don't mind it, at least if they have better music to choose from. What's in the video is awful.

Edit: ↓ Homie below knows what's up.

Looks damn good. Kind of saddened that some here expect every Kamiya game to be straight-up action. Nice to see him branch out.
Board is filled with haters. I guess people forgot this is the guy behind Okami? Kamiya has never disappointed, one of the best game directors out there. This game is going to be killer, can't wait.

tuxfool

Banned
Platinum is making an openish world action rpg thats basically reviving a dead gameplay concept that began and ended with Drakan
maxresdefault.jpg

HOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLYYYY SHHHHHEEEEEEIIIIIIITTT
Well that was a skip and a leap to the diving into getting an X1

They haven't really shown any combat atop the dragon yet so we don't know how similar it is.

The last big monster game I played, everyone and their mom wore headset.
TBH, Japan loves headset so I can't blame Scalebound for it.

I know it's off-topic, but really like that game on Vita. I wish Sony made a console version with a much bigger budget.

With that being said, Scalebound is looking great so far, besides the framertate. Note every game from Platinum needs to fast and crazy like Bayonetta.

Atilac

Looks ok, I would be ecstatic if they hid the damage numbers, sped the combat up to bayo levels, and redesigned the main character -he looks generic as fuck.

silva1991

I blame myself for giving my self a false hop that it will be a stylish action game.

that aside I watched the IGN video like 3-4 times and I'm hyped again!!.

hopefully we can unlock combos in this game and loot/bur weapons.

-Deimos

Platinum is making an openish world action rpg thats basically reviving a dead gameplay concept that began and ended with Drakan
maxresdefault.jpg

HOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLYYYY SHHHHHEEEEEEIIIIIIITTT
Well that was a skip and a leap to the diving into getting an X1.

Damn, that's an impressive game considering the time period. It seemed to do well, I can't believe I never heard of it.

Top Bottom