• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics Collection hitting retail in North America (April 26th, $29.99)

Wow, didn't know so many gaffers were straight up ignorant of what these releases even are. No wonder we have to beg for these kinds of things to come out in territories other than Japan.

No respect for the classics. What the fuck is new.

mpKZg.png

entremet

What a friggen lame collection. Will we never get another 'Sonic's Genesis collection' for current gen? Over 30 great genesis titles with unlockables as well.

We need an even bigger version of that in 1080p

Lame collection?

These are done by M2, which are much more authentic than anything on the Sonic Genesis collection.

Power Drift has never been ported to a US machine either.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What a friggen lame collection. Will we never get another 'Sonic's Genesis collection' for current gen? Over 30 great genesis titles with unlockables as well.

We need an even bigger version of that in 1080p

Yeah, I can't wait for another compilation of the same 30 Genesis games, somewhat poorly emulated, with no advantages over the original.

Eh, guess I'll just stick to my a la carte 3D classics. Already own most of the ones I want.

Anyone who hasn't tried these for whatever reason really need to.

Blues1990

Didn't SEGA release a combo pack that contained the 3D Classic Games from both volumes? If so, why didn't they go-ahead and localize that instead?

yyr

Awesome. I was considering importing this. Day one buy.

If you like classic games and didn't buy any of these on the eShop, you need this.

M2 is always fantastic and they are in rare form here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Lame collection?

These are done by M2, which are much more authentic than anything on the Sonic Genesis collection.

Power Drift has never been ported to a US machine either.

"Authentic"? I want games, not weird phrasing. And i don't even know or care about that the game you named. I've never heard of it now have i known it ever existed.

I can't even tell the difference between my old Genesis copies and emulated versions, but i want a huge compilation collection and i want it NOW x(

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Essentially every single competitive puzzle game borrows from Puyo Puyo Tsu in some form. This collection is worth it just to play a bit of history.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
"Authentic"? I want games, not weird phrasing. And i don't even know or care about that the game you named.

I can't even tell the difference between my old Genesis copies and emulated versions, but i want a huge compilation collection and i want it NOW x(

So you literally just don't know what you're talking about.

Luckydog

M2 have set the standard, to be honest, these 3D remasters are the pinnacle of porting. They are not simply emulation.

I agree with this on the premise of individual games, but this is a compilation. Regardless of what you think of Rare's games, I think they did a good job of looking at their back catalog, grabbing a good chunk of games many people wanted, and putting it together at a decent price.

Certainly only my opinion, but I think there would have been a much bigger audience for Sonic, shining force, Virtua (insert game here), Saturn classic, than this grouping.

entremet

"Authentic"? I want games, not weird phrasing. And i don't even know or care about that the game you named. I've never heard of it now have i known it ever existed.

Meaning not shoddy emulation like those Genesis collections.

Plus the games themselves have some nice additions too. Gunstar Heroes 3D plays completely differently, for example, due to new weapons options.

So even if you can't personally tell the difference, the games themselves are more than just ports.

Balb

Well yeah, Rare Replay was as great as it was because it had a first-party budget behind it. There's a reason why compilations like Rare Replay barely exist.

One more note, these 3D Classics weren't even originally conceived as a compilation. They were created as individual remakes, released individually, on a scattered release schedule. You had people buying, playing, discussing, and appreciating all of these games as they were released throughout 2013-2015. Hell, the Outrun port alone was met with tons of hype, had people talking about Outrun all throughout 2014.

Each of these individually were kind of a big deal for Sega fans. This is not a slapped together emulation package like the Genesis collections on PSP/360/PS3.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly what I wanted and expected, not really sure why everyone was getting so hyped up over a simple Facebook post. I'll definitely pick it up for Puyo Puyo 2 and Power Drift. Hopefully another collection will be released with some of the other 3D classics, like 3D Gunstar Heroes.

That Canadian price is just sad, though.

Pretty sure the standard was set with Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, which had over 40 games

Yeah, the collection that doesn't include the lock-on extras in Sonic & Knuckles. That takes the Ultimate Genesis Collection completely out of the conversation of best compilation.

I'll take Rare Replay (which itself has a lot of issues) and this 3DS compilation over that one any day.

I still can't believe we're getting the awesome Sugimori box art, he went to SEGA's TGS stage and sketched Nei on the spot...man can draw all Classic SEGA characters and it would be awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the 3D games I wanted except for the Japanese exclusives. But I really want powerdrift and puyo 2. Will hold out a while for separate downloads before inevitably crumbling

IrishNinja

So you literally just don't know what you're talking about.

that's the gist of what i'm seeing, yes

so actual classics you've somehow missed out on are redone better than ever, and you're let down because this isn't Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection again
just to be clear here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Classics#SEGA_3D_Classics

look at all these games that dont come with it

streets of rage 1 and 2, space harrier, outrun, super hang on, shinobi 3, gunstar heroes, after burner 2...

Sega, WTF man.

true, but those are a separate collection, hopefully we get those in the next volume like JP did!

Came here expecting:

dCsaL8b.jpg

Ended up with:

VHdWzmj.gif

Rare set a great standard on how to do this......FUUUUUDGE.

so you want the bugs of that emulation, but not M2's superior work on some of these? that's the "great standard" for you?

pearls before swine

I still can't believe we're getting the awesome Sugimori box art, he went to SEGA's TGS stage and sketched Nei on the spot...man can draw all Classic SEGA characters and it would be awesome.

ah, is that who did it? it's such a cool cover

lol at the reaction

this is some age divide shit. when someone says classic, how far back do you think it'd be? last gen? lol

seriously, the divide is real

IrishNinja

It's always been like that sadly, which is why we never got those Sega Ages compilations.

*sigh* we got a few greats on Saturn (ironically, not Power Drift again, haha) and that PS2 disc had a few fun things but yeah, there was a ton we missed out on...still want that Gunstar Treasure box!

Have patience, they'll be announcing something like that in the future.

Just let M2 do it, Sega

Luckydog

so you want the bugs of that emulation, but not M2's superior work on some of these? that's the "great standard" for you?

...r

This is really apples to oranges. Would I like a superior redux of Sega games, absolutely. Barring that, would I rather have an easily playable collection of games most people actually want to play, bugs and all, rather than this...YES.

I keep seeing these quotes stating anyone who doesn't want work from M2 doesn't know what they are talking about. I call BS on that. Just because someone would prefer an easily usable re-release on current consoles vs redone relatively obscure games doesnt mean they dont know what they are talking about. If you want Maze Walker and Power Drift more power to you, but I would rather have Phantasy Star and Shining Force.

t26

Yeah, the collection that doesn't include the lock-on extras in Sonic & Knuckles. That takes the Ultimate Genesis Collection completely out of the conversation of best compilation.

I'll take Rare Replay (which itself has a lot of issues) and this 3DS compilation over that one any day.

Yea thats the one negative with the collection

this is a textbook example of people preferring quantity over quality

and that's sad

Did you even look at the game list?

I don't think it's an age gap thing.

For me, it's a case of wanting them to port some games that really need them because they are great and deserve more love. I can probably think of a few SMS or Genesis games that need ports (or Saturn games, though some of those are near impossible to port for many reasons; a really good Saturn collection is probably the big thing SEGA will never be able to put forth that is really needed) too. Comix Zone has limited ports, IIRC, for example, and could use a fresh one. (Side note: I do appreciate the two releases that are coming stateside for the first time on this compilation.)

I also didn't mention this in my post, but it's coming out on 3DS, which does nothing for me personally. I still might give this a look if it were on PS4.

I think disappointment is fair because it really does come from a place of love. Other than Nintendo, SEGA is the only company with a high number of IPs that people who post at a site like this genuinely love. But I do see where people are coming from in their frustration with the complaining.

Top Bottom