• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kainazzo

A little basic color correction:

shantae_brown13syh.png
shantae_brown_spritew9sf0.png

Wow, looks way better. Legacy colors aside, I think the darker skin contrasts much more nicely with the bright purple, red, and gold.

Jawmuncher

Since this seems to be the best place to ask, is there any reason why Way Forward hasn't been doing much on the other consoles? Im guessing this game will change that. Just asking because I've found it so odd how stuff like Mighty Switchforce and the like have been really only on nintendo platforms. With only stuff payed for such as Duck Tales and Bloodrayne hitting the bigger systems. There isn't anything wrong with that but I was just curious about it.

Five

Banned
Since this seems to be the best place to ask, is there any reason why Way Forward hasn't been doing much on the other consoles? Im guessing this game will change that. Just asking because I've found it so odd how stuff like Mighty Switchforce and the like have been really only on nintendo platforms. With only stuff payed for such as Duck Tales and Bloodrayne hitting the bigger systems. There isn't anything wrong with that but I was just curious about it.

Could be as simple as cost reasons. The people paying them to do licensed games want it on other platforms enough to pay for that.

With the Kickstarter, they'll be getting more money to use than the other games they self funded.

Mista Koo

I can accept the bastardization of culture, but now she's white too? Ugh.

I don't think I will back it until they fix the color.

Jawmuncher

Could be as simple as cost reasons. The people paying them to do licensed games want it on other platforms enough to pay for that.

With the Kickstarter, they'll be getting more money to use than the other games they self funded.

That definitely does make perfect sense.

Conan-san

Actually just thinking about it, wouldn't she be lighter because of the fireball? OK That doesn't excuse the sprite but...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
wait a white Shantae :/

why this keep happening to female video game characters?

examples

Kat from Gravity Rush
2B84r.jpg
to
Kat.jpg

Vanessa Lewis from VF
337px-VanessaVF4.jpg
to
450px-VanessaVF5.jpg

JDSN

Banned
Im sure Wayforward will change this soon, thats the beauty of KS, anything that can be perceived as bad will be changed quickly, especially when its race-related before blogs that thrive on clickbait like Kotaku pick it up.

LiK

Im sure Wayforward will change this soon, thats the beauty of KS, anything that can be perceived as bad will be changed quickly, especially when its race-related before blogs that thrive on clickbait like Kotaku pick it up.

Yup, people hated the face for the Broken Sword KS and they promptly fixed the dude's face to look more like the old games.

Five

Banned
I always thought Shantae was largely inspired by the I Dream of Jeannie show. A caucasian, belly-dancing genie goes back at least as far as 1965.

i-dream-of-jeannie.jpg

Balb

Glad they're considering changing the skin color but it's still a little troubling that they did this in the first place. They knew what they were doing.

TheOGB

Banned
I always thought Shantae was largely inspired by the I Dream of Jeannie show. A caucasian, belly-dancing genie goes back at least as far as 1965.

i-dream-of-jeannie.jpg
Eh, wasn't my first thought.

I mean, yeah, she's been getting lighter as time went on (RR art, 3DS VC art), but even in-game she was darker than that (those RR cutscene expressions above). But then again, even in that same game I think her sprites were lighter.

But again, holy fuck is she whiter than ever on the KS page.

Jesus WayForward, you're not consistent with this at all, are you? :V

They've always been a mostly Nintendo studio.

On their wikipedia page, they've got 47 games listed. 36 of those were released exclusively on Nintendo platforms, 76% of everything they've ever released.

That's just how they roll!

NotLiquid

Eh, wasn't my first thought.

I mean, yeah, she's been getting lighter as time went on (RR art, 3DS VC art), but even in-game she was darker than that (those RR cutscene expressions above). But then again, even in that same game I think her sprites were lighter.

But again, holy fuck is she whiter than ever on the KS page.

Jesus WayForward, you're not consistent with this at all, are you? :V

The Risky's Revenge promotional art gives her a vastly different skin coloration from the VC re-release art. The former looks lighter than any of the previously posted images even though it goes against the in-game art. In the latter her skin tone is just lighter because of the particles, you can still see a tan.

Hell her original art was more peachy than tanned. There's a lot of varying inconsistencies in a bunch of Shantae art that I'd almost not put their Kickstarter post passed them.

Giolon

WayForward made further comment on her skin color:

Creator WayForward about 2 hours ago
Hi friends! Since there were a lot of comments regarding skin tone, we lined up all the Shantae artwork from past games, and the skin tones are all over the board. We've always left this to artist discretion in the past. However, this new artwork does stand out as the lightest she's been since back in the GBC days, so I'm sure we'll adjust it once we have our character lineup established. This is a great example of Kickstarter comments shaping the eventual product, so please make your opinions heard!

I'd consider that addressed. Man, I feel like going on a Shantae binge on my 3DS.

ArjanN

So I asked WayForward about what they are planning to do with the PC version of Shantae: Risky's Revenge now that it has been greenlit on Steam.

Awesome.

Cool.

They should try to get more of their other games on Steam. I imagine a lot of the licensed stuff would be tricky though.

Yes Boss!

I put my $12 in earlier.

But, yeah, I'm hoping they make her a little browner. I don't know if I would want her to be white.

CTLance

Man, what a difference to the Inafune Kickstarter. Still, this is gonna be rad and for now the virt OST shall be mine. In the days to come I'll probably splurge for some more, but between notmegaman, Ghost Song, Star Citizen and my usual gaming purchases my wallet is starting to smoke. However, I feel like I need to own the coin.

I mean... it's a coin.

Probably fake Genie gold.

And I want it.
A little basic color correction:
[img]http://abload.de/img/shantae_brown13syh.png[/img] [img]http://abload.de/img/shantae_brown_spritew9sf0.png[/img]
Looking mighty good. I hope they will correct her skin color like that. Fits way better with her color scheme.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mischief Makers by WayForward: Make it happen!!!
Holy crap, that would be AMAZING. A shame it shall remain in our dreams....

Really should finish playing the original & then check out the DSiWare sequel. Hopes this gets funded, as a console version with HD graphics would look great, especially considering how well Mighty Switch Force looked on Wii U.

Also, looking forward to the Jake Kaufman music and downloading it from his site once it's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom