• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) returns to scifi with Space Dandy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's up with the Bones hate? The last thing I saw by them was Brotherhood and the first half of Blast Of Tempest and they seemed really good if not great animation wise.

duckroll

So what's up with the Bones hate? The last thing I saw by them was Brotherhood and the first half of Blast Of Tempest and they seemed really good if not great animation wise.

BONES still has some of the best character action, effects, and mechanical animators in the industry. Lots of people are just pissed that they haven't managed to get great projects in terms of direction and writing to make best use of their animation talent I guess.

Branduil

BONES still has some of the best character action, effects, and mechanical animators in the industry. Lots of people are just pissed that they haven't managed to get great projects in terms of direction and writing to make best use of their animation talent I guess.

I would have settled for middling, even, but this will do!

While I have some faith in Watanabe, I don't expect this to completely avoid the pitfalls associated with this style. At least it should be better than Redline.

MechaX

This looks so Space Adventure Cobra.

But hell, I'm down. The last anime I got excited for was Eureka Seven AO, and there is no way that someone like Watanabe can disappoint me. Right...?

Brotherhood is fuckin terrible animation wise. Sword of the Stranger, on the other hand, was a beautiful beautiful movie.

FourMyle

Looks a little sillier than I was hoping, but we'll see. Looks better than any other TV anime I'm aware of that's in the pipeline, anyway (not saying much).

Hard to get excited with how disappointing TV anime has been over the past 1/2 dozen years.

I was also bummed when I started the PV but then I realized what kind of style they are going for and also looked at the rest of the staff and now I'm really excited.

Broank

OMG OMG OMG This looks like it's for me.

Haven't seen much Bones stuff but they are the Cowboy Bebop team that left Sunrise aren't they?

Jarmel

Banned
Now that I'm back in my hotel room, I can write up a bit more.

jDxt17S.jpg

This was noted as the villain of the series and was described as an evil professor.

This is his spaceship.

This is Dandy's spaceship.

Watanabe is aware of the similarity to Star Trek. Also some of the designers are being kept secret and will be announced one at a time.

daveo42

Banned
it's been pitched to Adult Swim.

Not surprised at all. Toonami is on the pretty much the only cable network left in the US that still airs anime. I couldn't care less if they show it on TV, but they want in on that market.

OnFire331

I'm digging the character designs and seeing the description of the show, it seems like it might get more than 26 episodes.

pa22word

I haven't watched anime in years and I'm hyped.

Hey now, Darker than Black was great...

but then season 2 happened

Ohhh man, old school sci-fi adventure anime feel. Take us back, Watanabe. I would like nothing more than for this to actually feel like those old, pulpy, fun spirited, over the top epic adventures. Main character looks great, all the aliens look great.

Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom