• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

drotahorror

Never got a scratch before, but I've had the amFilm protector on for about a week and a half and it's been fine. After putting the protector on and doing my best to get all air and whatnot out, I let it sit for about 12 hours and it's been docked every since. Dozens of hours played, everything is cool.

Seems like this was a whole lot of moaning over nothing, but I bought a glass screen protector anyways. Going to install tomorrow.

No scratches yet.

Got my Switch on launch day and absolutely no issues with Scratches from sliding it in and out of the dock so far - I've been careful though.

Sadly because of the left Joy-Con problem I have to keep the system in front of my TV on the edge of my tv stand in order to play without desynch problems...

Yeah and that is how I just knocked the Switch + dock over this morning :/

Sure as hell the screen is scratched now from a drop (inside the dock) from about 50cm/20in height. Really disappointing. Never owned such a susceptible piece of Nintendo hardware ever before...

krumble

Aiq6q3q.jpg

It's like a foot big.

Those grubby fingernails ...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If you're Nintendo you know you screwed up when multiple 3D printed docks are hitting already. Of course knowing you have a problem and admitting you have a problem are two different things.

I feel like alternative docking solutions would have cropped up no matter what. They did on the Wii U, for instance.

JCH!

For applying the tempered glass protector to your switch? If so I would suggest doing the hinge method and steamy bathroom as well. I did it earlier today and I don't have any air bubbles or dust under my tempered glass protector.

If you wanted suggestions for what tempered glass protector, I would recommend the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector. I originally order the Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector back in February and it shipped on February 20th. I still have not gotten it. So I ordered the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector last week and already got it yesterday.

Also in the Switch Protection thread, alot of other gaffers would recommend the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector as well.

Just got and applied the amFilm protector. No problems whatsoever except for the smallest speck of dust under it, but it's pretty hard to see if you don't look for it so it's cool.

Thanks for the advice!

I think the issue come mainly from defective dock. My dock is normal and i have no scratch. I feel for those who got scratch, Nintendo should do something for those with bended docks.

Got my Switch on launch day and absolutely no issues with Scratches from sliding it in and out of the dock so far - I've been careful though.

Sadly because of the left Joy-Con problem I have to keep the system in front of my TV on the edge of my tv stand in order to play without desynch problems...

Sure as hell the screen is scratched now from a drop (inside the dock) from about 50cm/20in height. Really disappointing. Never owned such a susceptible piece of Nintendo hardware ever before...

That's shit. How big are the scratches?

Mokujin

Has anyone had any success unbending a bent dock?

I'm using a plastic box that's a bit wider than switch, while my dock still has a minimum slight angle it's much better than it was.

Can't say if my Switch was at any risk since I've been careful every time I docked it.

IlGialloMondadori

Gold Member
I put on the very nice Orzly tempered glass and was very happy. I assumed it would be scratch proof now. I'm very careful with the dock, and yet, looking now after a few days, i see a small, curly scratch on the tempered glass. How is this even possible?

That's shit. How big are the scratches?

Nothing too bad, it's just annoying. When playing it shouldn't really be noticeable, but you can clearly see it across the screen when it's reflecting the light.

I usually really take care of my stuff so having those scratches not even three weeks after launch is a nuisance, but yeah whatever. Shit happens ;-)

Wonder what would have happened if I had dropped it without the dock...

Is there any good solution to remove/lessen such scratches? Guess it's difficult for touch screens...? :-(

JDH

For those (like myself) still waiting for the Orzly screen from Amazon. I just received an email update.

Dear Customer,

We are writing to you today with regards to your order for the Orzly Glass Screen Protector for the Nintendo Switch.

We have recently been inundated with emails from people who only wanted an Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector and so we have found a way to expedite delivery to the USA at our own cost. The new logistics service we have partnered with will allow parcels to arrive in the US within 3-8 days (depending on your location in the US) - and so many of you will have already received or be receiving your screen protectors any day now, and we predict that the majority of the remaining parcels will be delivered this week and next week.

Many of you have also expressed your confusion about the origin of the shipping being from the UK, however we would like to clarify that this would have been confirmed at the time of placing the order. In addition, the delivery window would have also been provided by Amazon in the order confirmation and that many of you who had placed pre-orders seem to have misunderstood thinking that the item would be delivered on the 3rd at the same time as the Switch, when in fact this date was a release date. We have been shipping orders in March and are still within the delivery windows provided by Amazon.

We do appreciate that you are all anxious to protect your Nintendo Switch screen especially in light of the problems caused by Nintendo's docks, and we certainly don't wish to upset any of our customers. We therefore wanted to take the time to write to you today and re-assure you that all orders have been shipped and that most of you will begin to receive your orders this week and next week, if you haven't already. In fact as we are currently dispatching orders on a same day basis, this delivery window will also apply to anyone who has placed an order in the last few days as well.

Beyond this information, we would also like to confirm that many products from our Nintendo Switch range will also be available from Amazon Prime in the next 1-2 weeks.

Please rest assured that we are pro-actively working to find the best solutions to get your orders to you as quickly as possible and that we are always happy to assist you in any way we can, so should you need us for anything from delivery to product queries, please just hit reply.

Thank you again for your patience and we are hopeful that it will have been worth the wait.

Best Wishes from Orzly

vampyren

Neo Member
Doesnt look like this was posted yet. This dude really went to town repeatedly shoving the console in and out of the dock. Not even the slightest mark on the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb7qWC5bGpY

I would like to have seen the bottom of the Switch, its plastic as well so i'm pretty sure it has tons of scratches there. Also as someone pointed out some people have a bent dock + micro scratches are not that visible if you film right into the screen and that video was pretty bad.
Plastic screen just sucks pure and simple.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I accidentally tipped my dock over one day when turning off the TV in a dark room, but no major falls yet.

milkham

Nothing too bad, it's just annoying. When playing it shouldn't really be noticeable, but you can clearly see it across the screen when it's reflecting the light.

I usually really take care of my stuff so having those scratches not even three weeks after launch is a nuisance, but yeah whatever. Shit happens ;-)

Wonder what would have happened if I had dropped it without the dock...

Is there any good solution to remove/lessen such scratches? Guess it's difficult for touch screens...? :-(

There's this stuff called polywatch that's meant for polishing plastic watch faces, not sure how effective it would be on a larger surface or if it would end up looking weird

just applied the AMFILM protector! wow its pretty awesome. However I got one freaking tiny tiny hair on the playable area.

FML

there is no way I can get this up and remove that hair right?

hoserx

just applied the AMFILM protector! wow its pretty awesome. However I got one freaking tiny tiny hair on the playable area.

FML

there is no way I can get this up and remove that hair right?

Happened to me with BOTH of them in the pack, lol. I sent them an email, though.

"First of all, I am very impressed with your product and the packaging it came in. For the low price, everything was exemplary. I ordered a two pack of the Nintendo Switch screen protectors and in a hurry, put the first one on and ended up with a ton of dust that I didn't even see, stuck underneath. After making a total mess of that one , trying to remove the dust, I moved on and just tried the second screen protector. I tried the shower method but my glasses kept fogging up.... and I inevitably stepped outside to finish it, and of course, I screwed that one up too with dust and fibers from the dry cloth.

So totally my error here, as I ruined the protectors because I failed to keep the screen debris free... I just wanted to let you know that I was very impressed with the packaging and accessories that came with the protectors. I ruined two plastic ones and these two glass, so I am already failing pretty hard at the screen protector game. (and $30 in!) That being said, I am going to perform the application of the next one I buy in a sterile environment. (not my apartment apparently!) Thanks again for delivering a great product. I see you're over in Cranberry PA, so it's nice to buy from someone somewhat locally as I'm from NE Ohio. Thank you again. "

They replied a few hours later, asking for pics of the protectors. They agreed to send me two additional screen protectors for free. Lol

Sargon

For those (like myself) still waiting for the Orzly screen from Amazon. I just received an email update.

I got the same thing. I honestly don't care what the Amazon shipping timeframe is. I have placed countless international orders through Amazon and we all know those are very conservative shipping estimates and it is very rare that an item doesn't beat Amazon's estimate. it is inexcusable for any product to take 3+ weeks to arrive. I hope the man paddling the canoe didn't tip over on his way across the pond.

Well, AmFilm kindly sent me a replacement 2 pack and already I managed to screw one up more spectacularly than my first 2 attempts.

I used the hinge method after letting the shower run for a few minutes, and not only did I end up with a few tiny dust particles again, but also a huge quarter sized bubble right in the middle that wouldn't go away.

I wiped the screen down several times, including right before laying down the protector to make sure it was spotless. I assume the dust got stuck to the adhesive side of the protector in the seconds I had it exposed. Just my luck.

The replacement pack I received was also not sealed like the original order, so I kind of wonder if they refurbish used protectors and re-package them for replacements. Not sure how else to explain that big weird bubble.

In any event, even though I have one more chance, I think I'm throwing in the towel with these protectors. The glass ones may be easier to apply than the film protectors of a decade ago, but they are prone to many of the same issues. Thankfully they are unnecessary on modern devices for the most part.

Just going to stop worrying and enjoy my Switch. I've docked it a handful of times so far with no ill effects, just the smudging at the bottom. Hopefully it doesn't take long for Nintendo or a 3rd party to release an improved dock. Just going to be careful and hope it doesn't scratch in the meantime.

baconcow

I am wondering if, along with bent docks, Nintendo may have used two different types of plastic within manufacturing this product. Having worked in some manufacturing, it could definitely be feasible for material types to change mid-production if there are shortages and a lot of units. Not sure, just a thought.

datamage

Has anyone had any success unbending a bent dock?

Yes. I will not take credit for this as I read it elsewhere, however, I inserted a nickel into each end of the dock as well as one in the middle. (This widened and held the plastic in place.) During this time I applied hot air to the plastic (hair dryer), to make the plastic malleable. Eventually, the plastic expanded a bit, at which point, I changed the hair dryer to cool air (not sure if this part was necessary).

I did this several days ago, and my dock is still holding up. There's no friction when inserting the Switch.

Vaev

I don't drop my electronics so I'd definitely prefer that. Just like with cell phones and tablets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo has never had a glass screen in any of their console/handhelds before. The risk of shattered glass and children probably spells disaster.

Xion86

FYI the "HORI Switch Compact PlayStand" just became available on Amazon.co.uk, grabbed one as it was only £9.99 :) comes on the 28th. Will see what it's like.

FCb79drl.png

"-Play whilst charging in angled stand
-x3 level settings - play at any angle you like!
-Folds up for portability
-Officially Licensed by Nintendo"

Soi-Fong

FYI the "HORI Switch Compact PlayStand" just became available on Amazon.co.uk, grabbed one as it was only £9.99 :) comes on the 28th. Will see what it's like.

FCb79drl.png

"-Play whilst charging in angled stand
-x3 level settings - play at any angle you like!
-Folds up for portability
-Officially Licensed by Nintendo"

You're going to love it! Soo freaking useful to have! I got mine at launch and really one of the best accessories I bought!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Doesnt look like this was posted yet. This dude really went to town repeatedly shoving the console in and out of the dock. Not even the slightest mark on the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb7qWC5bGpY

I'm certain now that Switches that have been scratched (like mine) came with fairly seriously bent/deformed docks (like mine).

No scratches on my unit... On the screen..... The back of the device is another story :-(

http://imgur.com/s7zxxDM

Yup. That's what the rear of mine looks like. Luckily I had a glass protector on from day one, and the "paperback method" for stretching seems to have ameliorated the rear scratching... for now.

Got my amFilm protector and am really satisfied with it. Applied it two days ago, didn't do the shower stuff just wiped off the screen with the included wipes and dried it then used the hinge method to apply it. Everything was going good until the final press down when the air was escaping one pocket formed a huge bubble near the middle-left side. The hinge video did say remaining bubbles would go away after 2 days so I just docked it and waited. Checked it again and the bubble was still there so I figured screw it and just lifted up the corner from where the bubble was closest until the air came out then laid it back down while pressing from the middle out to not let anymore bubbles form. It laid down perfectly and with no bubbles or debris/dust getting in.

It looks great and appears to be of high quality so I can join the recommendations for the amFilm protector.

eXMomoj

has anyone tried 3D printing a new dock? This one looks pretty decent...

55d0a9598215d0b61d296acb0aa32dd2_preview_featured.jpg

The only thing is when I print on my MakerBot at work, the surface usually feels a bit rough and I'm not sure it would be the best for a scratch-prone Switch.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2164088

If Nintendo, or a reputable third party manufacturer, made a revised dock like this I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Looks so much sleeker than the standard dock. And would eliminate any potential scratching issues.

AcidCloud

Neo Member
Mine is definitely getting smudges where those damn bumpers are. Fuck.

Edit: bent dock as well.

Having a slightly similar problem.

Getting smudges on the back of my Switch, a bit of rubbing gets them off though. Haven't checked if the dock is bent or not.

Nothing on the front, but I'm using a tempered glass screen protector.

Anyone know if I should be concerned about the smudges on the back? Or any potential scratches because of it?

ValeYard

Any update on amFilm vs. Orzly? Are the amFilms consistently getting bubbles on the layer between glass and adhesive?

My Orzly just doesn't seem to be arriving although G-Hub claims to have sent it. Now, amFilm would be available for next day order.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'd almost be willing to put money down that Nintendo won't repair/replace your Switch for scratches. They'll just claim it to be normal wear & tear from use/misuse and as long as the Switch is operational then they won't do anything about it. The majority of dock scratches are off the actual visible screen and on the bezel; these do not impact usability. The rest of the scratches that will be on it from day-to-day use won't be Nintendo's responsibility to repair/replace.

You'd be better off buying an extended warranty that covers wear and tear.

They are though.
Their CS already has a category that covers screen scratches as a result of using the dock that qualifies for repair under warranty.

Top Bottom