• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Polygon 'playing' Doom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but you're not getting paid to review it.

I don't think it's unfair to demand a certain level of competence in the medium you are being paid to cover/review...

If I were to read a review, I'd rather it be from someone who has similar experience as myself, i.e. suck absolute ass at playing first person games on a controller.

Vex_

Banned
Obviously, you're just a fantastic player of video games. The thing is, I and most people would rather read or listen to somebody who may be mediocre at video games who is entertaining and thoughful than somebody who is awesome at video games, but boring or annoying as hell to listen or read.

Like, the guys at Giantbomb, by NeoGAF standards, are mediocre at game, as any thread about them playing a game will make sure to mention. But, give me them playing a game over some Youtuber with a perfect k/d ratio any day of the week.

Naaaaaahhh bruh, I see you. Dont sneak that in there. Nah uh. NOPE.

In the case of a consumer looking for a review, "most people" would hope the person reviewing knows what they're doing.

I generally agree that you shouldn't have to be a gaming expert to review games, and that having such a requirement would force all reviews to paint with the same big brush

But it's a real weakness that there really isn't a mechanism to communicate a reviewer's skills to the reader. Imagine an alternate universe where you get the review but there is no video, and the reviewer is ripping the game on its controls, difficulty, or combat in general.

How can you possibly begin to know the 'real' reasons for their feelings? And good luck trying to disagree with the reviewer - if you dare accuse him of being bad at the game you'll have a horde of people mocking you for perpetuating the "get gud" mentality.

It must create an awfully awkward situation for game developers. We say reviews, impressions, or videos don't truly 'matter', but they obviously do, especially from big sites. We're talking sales, your salary or bonuses, whether or not you have a job next year, whether or not your company even exists next year, etc. They matter a great deal

It would drive me nuts to be forced to take into a consideration the 1% of the 1%'s skill levels just because they have the loudest voice and reach

SummitAve

Banned
There's gotta be similarly funny gifs of reviewers playing Stellaris poorly....

This just reminds me of the giantbomb guys talkin about their inflated sense of egos when playing during the press only multiplayer sessions.

I don't understand how a low skill perspective is any less important. It's just a different review not a worse one. Are people really acting like this is the only review that matters and it has to be as objective as possible to stand on its own as the end all be all of reviews for all future generations?

ghostjoke

Banned
Again, this is not the reviewer playing the game in that 30 minute video.

A preview is meant to give an impression of how the game works, doesn't have to be perfect, but there are certain standards. This gives an unfairly negative impression of a game that a lot of people are on the fence about and desperate for information before throwing their money down. Add in Polygon locking down the comments (I can understand this to a degree) and likes/dislikes and it's hard to shake the impression they threw out the first thing they could make to get some clicks without any regard of what they're actually meant to be providing their userbase.

No, it's more like at a site that reviews food, asking the guy that doesn't like Mexican to try a burrito as part of the overall coverage while still having the guy who actually likes Mexican food review the burrito at the end of the day all while Mexico food purists complain that they gave a burrito to somebody who doesn't like Mexican food and dared to film it.

love you

hemo memo

Gold Member
It would be like a food critic going to a restaurant and spilling the food down their shirt and licking it off, then basing their review off what they tasted from their collar.

Yes and worse, a big food rating website count that review as acurate to the overall reviews rating number for that food becuase "opinions".

I do think that someone who is skilled at games can provide a better review than one that is not, but it doesn't hurt to have multiple opinions on something from multiple perspectives, either.

In this case, what if I'm as bad at video games as the reviewer, but still enjoy games? Maybe if he likes it, it might mean I might like it, despite not being great at dual joystick FPS games.

Sometimes, when you're skilled at games you forget how counterintuitive/difficult a game can be for some audiences and your review may not accurately reflect whether it's as approachable as you think it is.

I think it's a somewhat safe assumption that most gamers seeking game reviews have some level of skill on par or equal to a reviewer, so most of this is inconsequential, but to say an unskilled reviewer SHOULDN'T be doing reviews or that the reviews aren't VALUABLE to someone is a bit dismissive.

Just know who is writing the review and, if you can, be aware of their skill level in games and take that into account when reading it. If you dislike the level of transparency a reviewer is giving you (no details on difficulty, no insight into their play method, etc), you have a right to ignore that reviewer from here on out, as well.
Again, a veteran skilled reviewer should have the ability to give insight to both newcomers and veterans. If he doesn't that just means he's a veteran reviewer who could be writing a better, more inclusive review.

Having someone who has never played a game in a genre try to give a critical analysis is almost useless, and what little use it does have should be covered by a veteran reviewer if they're really good at their job. A newcomer doesn't bring any perspective that the veteran hasn't already experienced at some point in their life.

It's like saying you'd rather be taught how to draw by someone who has never tried drawing before, simply because you also have never drawn before. Any actual teacher of art worth their weight in salt should be able to contextualize the fact that you've never drawn before and teach from there.
No, it's more like at a site that reviews food, asking the guy that doesn't like Mexican to try a burrito as part of the overall coverage while still having the guy who actually likes Mexican food review the burrito at the end of the day all while Mexico food purists complain that they gave a burrito to somebody who doesn't like Mexican food and dared to film it.
This would be a dumb, pointless video. Who would it be for? People who don't like Mexican food aren't going to watch it because they don't like Mexican food.

And people who do like Mexican food are either going to see it, hear that the person doesnt like Mexican food and discredit his opinion on the matter because it isn't relevant to them, or worse, not find out that the person hates Mexican food and just assume that whatever burrito the person is reviewing tastes horrible because of how it was made.

Their opinion would not be useful to me as a buyer, but it would be interesting to me as someone who follows the industry, and it would potentially be useful to other new gamers. Since I know that not everything in this universe is about me, I am okay with the fact that other people have different experiences than me and are allowed to express that.

Oh, but of course there's not ever going to be any sort of 'we've never played a vidyagame before' disclaimer attached to their professional review. When is the last time you've seen a reviewer say, 'Please keep in mind while reading this review, I've never done this before?'

Dimmle

yeah, end of thread

Maxim726X

If I were to read a review, I'd rather it be from someone who has similar experience as myself, i.e. suck absolute ass at playing first person games on a controller.

Why?

How does playing a game poorly reflect on the quality of the game? And we're not asking for mastery here, just someone who can move and shoot. The real issue is that the video tells me nothing of how the game plays, because the person holding the controller can't execute simple actions. That's not really a fair review.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
A preview is meant to give an impression of how the game works, doesn't have to be perfect, but there are certain standards. This gives an unfairly negative impression of a game that a lot of people are on the fence about and desperate for information before throwing their money down. Add in Polygon locking down the comments (I can understand this to a degree) and likes/dislikes and it's hard to shake the impression they threw out the first thing they could make to get some clicks without any regard of what they're actually meant to be providing their userbase.

The feedback on this particular video has been heard loud and clear. We're working on additional videos, a review and preview coverage for Doom.

But just to be clear, my clarification was meant to address that this video was somehow tied to the game's review, when it is not.

Tomeru

Yeah I agree. It's true that the person playing in the video isn't very skilled at the game...but so what?

Because it shows a bad game for someone new to it - and that is not true (meaning non functional more than good or bad). If that isnot important, then lets take the review of someone who never played chess, and hot rekt- as good metric. Reviews should aim to be universal and not aimed at a single audience. In this case, a more appropriate headline to the video, or atleast an explanation as to why the player played that way, would go a long way.

Obviously, you're just a fantastic player of video games. The thing is, I and most people would rather read or listen to somebody who may be mediocre at video games who is entertaining and thoughful than somebody who is awesome at video games, but boring or annoying as hell to listen or read.

Like, the guys at Giantbomb, by NeoGAF standards, are mediocre at game, as any thread about them playing a game will make sure to mention. But, give me them playing a game over some Youtuber with a perfect k/d ratio any day of the week.

I don't really see myself as an outlier though. I think there's just a divide between people who write about games that have a loose interest in the medium and those that play games in their free time, but have more passion for the medium and therefore more investment in it to the point of getting better.

I also wouldn't look to someone that's awful at anything for their opinion on it. Whether its games or anything else, if the person is inherently unskilled then their opinion is worthless even to other people that are unskilled because theres no way to distinguish whether that particular experience in question was bad due to the game or the player.

If the player is skilled then the problem is obviously the game, but if they both suck there's no way for you to know what the actual issue is.

Even unskilled players seeeking reviews from like-wise skilled reviewers may be mislead if the reviewer unfairly trashes the game because the reviewer was playing it incorrectly.

Servbot24

Banned
Oh, but of course there's not ever going to be any sort of 'we've never played a vidyagame before' disclaimer attached to their professional review. When is the last time you've seen a reviewer say, 'Please keep in mind while reading this review, I've never done this before?'

A disclaimer would be nice, but to be fair we don't get disclaimers about reviewers from pros either, and pros may have a very different experience than the average buyer.

RawNuts

it doesn't need to be humorous to be valuable. people just straight up hate polygon and will use anything as wedge to be offended.
This is the bias you're bringing into your posts here.

I'm sure many of us here don't have an agenda to bash Polygon. Just watch the video itself and separate it from the source being Polygon, and share your opinion on that.

Although the person playing in the video apparently isn't the person writing the review, so this thread has become pretty irrelevant. When the reviewer is playing a game like this, then there is certainly cause for concern, otherwise we're all just poking fun at someone who isn't very good at FPS games.

So there needs to be a skill threshold for reviews?
Quoted for quote's sake. ;)

h-help me...
Someone doesn't like green.

UnrealEck

This honestly looks like the person playing has never played an FPS with a controller before.
I can remember a bit of how I was back in the early days of dual stick controllers in FPSes and this is what I was like. Trying to control movement and turning at the same time was the first noticeable thing I had to get used to. Same with my first time with M/KB.

Watching this video is the equivalent cringe level of someone opening up Chrome and using the nav bar to type Google.com to then use Google main page to type a search query.

Naaaaaahhh bruh, I see you. Dont sneak that in there. Nah uh. NOPE.

In the case of a consumer looking for a review, "most people" would hope the person reviewing knows what they're doing.

Well, putting aside this video, there's the Internet definition of "knowing what they're doing" and the actual consumer's definition of "knowing what they're doing."

It would drive me nuts to be forced to take into a consideration the 1% of the 1%'s skill levels just because they have the loudest voice and reach

I would argue most reviewers are closer to the average consumer than the actual "1% of 1% skill" who zero in on any mistake a member of the games press makes with a game on video.

Why?

How does playing a game poorly reflect on the quality of the game? And we're not asking for mastery here, just someone who can move and shoot. The real issue is that the video tells me nothing of how the game plays, because the person holding the controller can't execute simple actions. That's not really a fair review.

This isn't a review though. It's a video about the game with no score or hell, real commentary posted.

Why?

Because their opinion is more likely to match how I will feel about the game.

It tells you how the game playes for someone who can't control it, i.e. me.

Salsa

there's another end of the spectrum to this obviously, since we're talking difficulty and reviews

RPS did an article on Hyper Light Drifter specifically talking about how he loved the game but he "would never be able to continue sadly" cause the first boss he encountered felt super hard

he had to make another article apologizing for that

but

he really is hard

at least unusually hard for what you'd expect considering what the game throws at you before

he's also not necessarely the first boss depending on your path

but a lot of "hardcore ppl" still threw shade at him enough that he had to sorta retract his argument

in the end I apprecieted how that flowed and advanced, but it's an interesting entry in this whole argument

Phatcorns

Watching this video is the equivalent cringe level of someone opening up Chrome and using the nav bar to type Google.com to then use Google main page to type a search query.

Hahaha perfect. This is hard to watch, and as long as it's not the person reviewing it, that's fine. I mean, you have to have a certain level of competency in playing a game to give a fair judgement I would say. And whoever was playing does not have that level of competency.

Vex_

Banned
Although the person playing in the video apparently isn't the person writing the review, so this thread has become pretty irrelevant. When the reviewer is playing a game like this, then there is certainly cause for concern, otherwise we're all just poking fun at someone who isn't very good at FPS games.

This thread is not irrelevant. There is sort of mini discussion going on here. an important question was asked:

So there needs to be a skill threshold for reviews?

And so, we now have our basis for a brand new debate!

deoee

So wait - Press is now responsible to make games look good?

Like advertise them?

Maybe get paid from publishers for it?

The point is, you should not showcase a game played with a controller by a person who can not play with a controller.

Maxim726X

Absolutely. You may disagree where that threshold lies, but I'm sure you wouldn't care to hear the review of somebody who can't even control a FPS game, for example.

'I know nothing about cars, and I can barely drive them. Please watch my review of this 'Audi S4'.

That review would be relatively useless. I'm not asking for a professional race car driver to get in the driver's seat, but I would need to see someone that reflects the average user. The average user of this game will at least be able to function at a basic level.

Is there more to the playthrough that's bad other than that one gif?

I need more than a (really good BTW) 5 second gif to tell if someone is bad at the game or not.

Even if he is, who cares, how do you know if he's improved or not while playing the review copy?

Salsa

yeah, end of thread

why end the thread? if anything I wanted it to spark a discussion and it has. and you're like one of the 3 people with that particular opinion :p

I know you were being facetious but that /thread stuff is silly

SummitAve

Banned
This is the bias you're bringing into your posts here.

I'm sure many of us here don't have an agenda to bash Polygon. Just watch the video itself and separate it from the source being Polygon, and share your opinion on that.

Why can't a reviewer write from their own poorly skilled perspective? Why is that not an acceptable perspective to people in this thread? There's no shortage of reviews and other perspectives so what does it matter? Are people afraid a customer might be misled by what a poorly skilled person thinks? That vacuum of information just doesn't exist though...

What if I want to find out if my girlfriend could play doom? I'd be looking for a review like this. It's foolish to just dismiss it.

RawNuts

let's talk more about burritos
I have difficulty holding both ends of the burrito at the same time.

Why can't a reviewer write from their own poorly skilled perspective? Why is that not an acceptable perspective to people in this thread? There's no shortage of reviews and other perspectives so what does it matter? Are people afraid a customer might be misled by what a poorly skilled person thinks?
Oh, they certainly can, and there is no shortage of that; similarly, I'm free to point out when someone isn't doing a job very well.

But this isn't the reviewer playing, so it doesn't apply here.

yeah, end of thread

lmao, no, it's nothing like that at all

We're not talking about likes or dislikes. We're talking about motor skills.

This isn't a guy who doesn't like Mexican food - this is a guy who drops it on the floor and tries to eat the contents using a pair of salad tongs.

Is that a valid way to eat? I mean, sure, who am I to judge? But do I want him reviewing how the food tastes?

Is there more to the playthrough that's bad other than that one gif?

I need more than a (really good BTW) 5 second gif to tell if someone is bad at the game or not.

Even if he is, who cares, how do you know if he's improved or not while playing the review copy?
Competence.

You don't want me reviewing RTS games because I am horrible at them.

Also, every time I skipped around the video and landed on combat, yes, it's much worse than the GIF.

Okay, but you're not getting paid to review it.

I don't think it's unfair to demand a certain level of competence in the medium you are being paid to cover/review...

It's not, but everyone's got to have a first time, and if Polygon's thing includes giving people who aren't as good with games a chance to review them then that's their thing and many other places will fill stricter requirements. I frankly don't see the problem with this existing, reviews have as of late been given many freedoms to satisfy other kinds of critical needs, merit of the explosion of content that exists these days, and all things being the same (which they generally are, the reviews of old still exist, even if somewhat displaced), more stuff of other kinds is never a bad thing. That is, is what you're suggesting is indeed the case.

jotun?

That's about what it would look like if I tried to play with a controller

I could probably do better with pure keyboard controls

mollipen

Again, this is not the reviewer playing the game in that 30 minute video.

It's still a video that a gaming-focused website felt was okay for putting up as representation of the site's gaming coverage, which is unbelievable to me.

J-Rzez

It would be like a food critic going to a restaurant and spilling the food down their shirt and licking it off, then basing their review off what they tasted from their collar.

Lol. I foresee many great analogies of this debacle.

Maxim726X

It's not, but everyone's got to have a first time, and if Polygon's thing includes giving people who aren't as good with games a chance to review them then that's their thing and many other places will fill stricter requirements. I don't frankly see the problem with this existing, reviews have as of late been given many freedoms to satisfy other kinds of critical needs, merit of the explosion of content that exists these days, and all things being the same (which they generally are, the reviews of old still exist, even if somewhat displaced), more stuff of other kinds is never a bad thing. That is, is what you're suggesting is indeed the case.

That may very well be true.

But the job of a review, any review really, is to give someone with a passing interest in the subject an idea of what to expect. To use the car analogy again, I wouldn't really take the opinion of someone who doesn't drive cars, or have a deep knowledge or experience with cars, on a particular vehicle. Someone is of course free to review whatever they like, but when someone asks 'Umm... Why should I take your review seriously if you're not intimately aware of the subject matter?'

Not to continue to poke fun anymore but for those of you wondering why we are poking a bit of fun at the reviewer, here is a GIF that lays it out for you:

xrX4VV0.gif

Sorry if this is mean, started as a gamedev meme.

Impressions and feedback from someone that is unfamiliar with a control method, or has never played a game, are useful to game designers.

But in order to provide useful information to consumers, the person making the review needs to have some degree of competency for their opinion to have any weight.

It might a good laugh to see someone struggle and fail at something basic as "put head in crosshairs, pull trigger", but as a consumer the only thing that tells me is; "This person never played a game."
It doesn't tell me if the game the person failed at is worth my money, which is the entire point of a review.

If the review was written by one person, and the gameplay recorded by another that apparently only has a vague understanding of what an FPS is, my only question is: why?
With all the modern recording software console recording features, you'd think that the person writing the review would have made some clips themselves while playing the game.

Tomeru

Because their opinion is more likely to match how I will feel about the game.

It tells you how the game playes for someone who can't control it, i.e. me.

If you cant control a game, you shouldnt need to hear someone elses' opinion on how they can't control it. What can you possibly take from that kind of review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom