• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

Heh, if you're talking about The Taken King then yeah, that'll provide a good boost too.

It's got a nice custom PS4 and combined with the popularity of Destiny among casuals should do great.

Add in the MGS5 bundle in September, and potentially a COD bundle.

Rymuth

...what?

This article speaks about how the first TWO WEEKS of a consoles sales is not indicative of it's overall future success.

We're approaching the second year for PS4.
He's telling you that 'Don't Read Too Much into it' is a meme.

The other poster you quoted used it.

Are you suggesting that the figures Sony was publishing during the PS3 generation were inflated?

No. But where others dealt with sold through numbers, Sony gave us combined PS Family shipped nonsense for years.

Why must you do this in every non Nintendo thread?

Also, that bingo sheet is hilarious, I already have seen a row by now. PS4 is insane.

I rarely am in non Nintendo / PC/ Dota threads. Don´t worry, no one wants to harm your PS4.

Having strong sales for two years is nice, but don't read too much into it.

They key thing is that software support will remain strong and not drop off like the Wii after the first 3-4 years.

Also there have been literally zero official price cuts to the system/no slim models released which will be another massive spur to sales.

So yeah I think we can read a little into how well the PS4 is doing currently.

Terrible dads : Big Boss and Oryx.

Haha clever!

On pace to reach my prediction of 37M by the end of the year.
I think the Star Wars Battlefront bundle will clean house globally.

Should be this years "Destiny like" effect for PS4 sales and help them
reach 30m by end of the year.

They're gonna ship +3M this quarter putting it around ~29M LTD (MGS5 will be the "Destiny like"), Q3 will be another +6M units so it's gonna be well above 30M. With a well timed price cut to go along with the CoD and SW bundles, I'm expecting they actually ship closer to 8M consoles.

Caronte

In this thread I've learned selling more than last year is actually a bad sign.

fwnkdmw.png

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/15q1_sonypre.pdf

Thank you.

fedexpeon

Banned
My only "agenda" is to prove console generations will be more and more frontloaded as the one before it but that the total number of console sales at the end of the gen will not have increased.

You know, it is already hard to predict a 1 year of forecast, but you are going to predict the total number of overall consoles sales after 5-6yrs?
I want to see these assumptions, historical values and variables you are using.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Here is the updated launch alignment shipment graph:

wckn2.jpg

PS4 is no Wii, X1 is (probably) crossing streams with ps3 and WiiU is dreaming about GameCube sales.
Why would you give the Xbox that much leeway either way?

On pace to reach my prediction of 37M by the end of the year.

They're gonna ship +3M this quarter putting it around ~29M LTD (MGS5 will be the "Destiny like"), Q3 will be another +6M units so it's gonna be well above 30M. With a well timed price cut to go along with the CoD and SW bundles, I'm expecting they actually ship closer to 8M consoles.

Fiscal year yeah?

I don't expect a price cut until next year as Sony can squeeze those profit margins as much as possible while the PS4 is the hot ticket in town.

I know that costs have shrunk as detailed in the OP but I think the idea with Sony is just to maximise revenue at current price.

People will buy the SW and CoD bundles in droves at $400/£350 or at lower priced retailer bundles for Christmas.

Kinan

Why would you give the Xbox that much leeway either way?

Best I can do since they are lumping it with X360 sales together. Error accumulates every quarter, so the bars will get bigger with every new point, until they finally decide to report X1 only data.

Bottom line is X1 selling as much as X360, top line - X360 sales are zero.

Edit: found small error in the last X1 point, will correct in a min.

This (bundle with probably a super sexy custom console) + MGS V + Call of Duty + Assassin's Creed + a price drop at Paris Games Week... Damn.

Fiscal year yeah?

I don't expect a price cut until next year as Sony can squeeze those profit margins as much as possible while the PS4 is the hot ticket in town.

I know that costs have shrunk as detailed in the OP but I think the idea with Sony is just to maximise revenue at current price.

People will buy the SW and CoD bundles in droves at $400/£350 or at lower priced retailer bundles for Christmas.

I think we can expect free pack-ins of new releases going forward the rest of the year if they don't drop the price. MGSV could be next.

Yup, let's not forget Episode VII effect, Sony is smart for getting Battlefront marketing partnership

Wow great numbers good job sony.

I have a question that i don't know if its true? Is it true that at one point the PS2 was selling 3 million units a month? I remember reading about this in the OPM back in 05. And to this day i still wonder if that was true or not. Thanks

They don't want to hear you though!

To the artistic gaf I have a request. Please add this image

7759171374f6e101b53db9fcbaab8f9f.jpg

Or any suitable Storm trooper helmet to a black or white PS4. People don't seem to understand the force behind Star Wars.

Fiscal year yeah?

Calendar year :p

LATEST%20PS4_zpsbkbp6xil.jpg

Q2: 3.5M
Q3: 7.5-8M

~36-37M by Dec 31.

I anticipate a price cut of $50. No PS console went more than 2 years without a price reduction, they wanna expand their market as much as possible in this early stage and maximize the effect of those bundles. They're gonna be aggressively battling for the nr1 spot in the US this year and MS is not gonna sit still with Halo 5.

This (bundle with probably a super sexy custom console) + MGS V + Call of Duty + Assassin's Creed + a price drop at Paris Games Week... Damn.

All of that will be massive but again I have my doubts about a price drop!

Though I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I think we can expect free pack-ins of new releases going forward the rest of the year if they don't drop the price. MGSV could be next.

Agreed. Batman style pack ins would naturally be the way to go.

Yup, let's not forget Episode VII effect, Sony is smart for getting Battlefront marketing partnership

By October Star Wars fever will be insane.

People will be frothing at the mouth for Ep VII and the bleed on effect for Battlefront will be unreal.

It'll help both the PS4 and Xbone but globally, the benefits for Sony will be another level.

Asd202

This shows that NPD is not as relevant as people believe. It's close in US/UK but in other markets it's an absolute massacare.

Joni

Wow great numbers good job sony.

I have a question that i don't know if its true? Is it true that at one point the PS2 was selling 3 million units a month? I remember reading about this in the OPM back in 05. And to this day i still wonder if that was true or not. Thanks

There were years where they did more than 20 million. With the way video game sales work, I wouldn't be amazed that they sold 3 million in November/December for 2002 or 2003. Wii managed 2 million in December 2008 based on the US alone, DS did 3 million that same month in the US.

Calendar year :p

LATEST%20PS4_zpsbkbp6xil.jpg

Q2: 3.5M
Q3: 7.5-8M

~36-37M by Dec 31.

I anticipate a price cut of $50. No PS console went more than 2 years without a price reduction, they wanna expand their market as much as possible in this early stage and maximize the effect of those bundles. They're gonna be aggressively battling for the nr1 spot in the US this year and MS is not gonna sit still with Halo 5.

Ha! I like your optimism there =p

But wow even with a price cut I find it hard to fathom PS4 achieving those sales truthfully.

This shows that NPD is not as relevant as people believe. It's close in US/UK but in other markets it's an absolute massacare.

Well it's not totally irrelevant but you're correct to an extent in the case of the PS4.

In my small, not important region of the world, people don't even know what an Xbox is.

Playstation is basically a synonym for video games. And everybody here has one

Congrats to Sony for their continuing success with PS4. 30+ Million by the end of the year should be easy for PS4.

Even if Until Dawn is not a big hit (being the only exclusive this year, unless they sneak something in at Xmas, last minute) they still have very strong 3rd Party support with games like MGS 5 and Fallout 4 to take them through the holiday with little effort and then they have the build up of Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank to kick off early 2016, so their target of 39 Million by March 2016 should be very achievable too.

Dynomutt

Congrats to Sony for their continuing success with PS4. 30+ Million by the end of the year should be easy for PS4.

Even if Until Dawn is not a big hit (being the only exclusive this year, unless they sneak something in at Xmas, last minute) they still have very strong 3rd Party support with games like MGS 5 and Fallout 4 to take them through the holiday with little effort and then they have the build up of Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank to kick off early 2016, so their target of 39 Million by March 2016 should be very achievable too.

Bloodborne as well.

Until Dawn is the only exclusive PS4 game this year ?

Top Bottom