• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hopes to entice PC players to PS5 by releasing ‘tentpole’ games for console first

midnightAI

That is a bad comparison.

If you buy PS5, you will have to pay for online service, while PC you don't. That extra cost that console players have to deal with.
Not really, when you get a phone contract you are paying additional money so the total contract cost is more than phone + base contract. Irrelevant though, I was talking about spreading the cost over those 6 years, you aren't paying $1500 in one go.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Im surprised they are a big company and they are not realizing is the opposite, this is not bringing Pc players to PS5 and PSN, this is making people from PS getting into PC and Steam

Other than Helldivers 2 theres no PS game that has done anywhere near the same numbers on PC.
Im guessing thats gonna be a trend for GaaS games.
But for single player games, their main market by a large large margin is always going to be the Playstation.....i dont think they are too worried about that.

What you might have been trying to point out is that its less likely for someone to want a PS5 now outright, when they can get a PC and play the same games and much much more.
So say a PS4/XBO owner who has been waiting to upgrade is less likely to pine for a PS5 when they can save a bit more get a decent PC and play everything in one place.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What’s the biggest asset we all have? Time. You cannot buy, exchange, expand time. If you want to wait for things it’s fine. Perhaps when you get bit older you’ll understand it.
For me, the older I get, the less I give a shit about playing every big game on day 1. I’ve got more than enough to play. And practically every game gets a ton of bug fixes, improvements (sometimes pretty major ones), and expansions in the 1-2 years after release.

My FOMO is gone, Now all I have is fear of wasting my time on an inferior experience.

Maybe I’ll buy a PlayStation 12 if I’m on my death bed when Final Fantasy 22 launches.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

3pAJ04j.gif

Makes them exclusive again?
And why would they do that?
If they would do that, or extend the time-gate, why would you think they'd do that?

It'd be like giving a junkie your best drugs until he gets used to it and then withhold it from him.

Should be quite obvious.

If Sony is smart, they'd release a Bloodborne Remake as an exclusive PS6 launch-title with no sign of a PC release, like Demon's Souls Remake.
The whole point regardless of PR speak is PC was a market they were squandering and with AAA games costing as much as they do, every extra dollar counts.
Nixxes says its takes them about a year to do a port, as they get more proficient at it, they could likely drop that port time to around 6 months......at which point PC gamers are really eating.

Thats some serious hopium.
What's with all the "hopium" being thrown around lately?

There is nothing to hope for. Idc if PC gets Playstation games.

I'm looking at it from Sony's perspective.
PC gamers dont even like having other launchers, you think after however long of playing "Playstation" games on PC said PC gamers are gonna go out and buy a whole other console to play its sequel?

Nahh fam, once weve tasted the game on PC, we can wait for its sequel.......on PC.

Now im not saying its zero conversion rate......but its certainly not a marked conversion rate.
PC gamers will just wait.
Yeah, but it doesn't matter if you wait. Because Sony will get your money regardless with minimal effort.

So ultimately, nobody loses.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I would love all platforms to have more big exclusives of all kinds because I personally think it brings excitement to the industry but if you bring all of them anyway just go the extra mile and do day and date. Shit won't work.

VitoNotVito

For me, the older I get, the less I give a shit about playing every big game on day 1. I’ve got more than enough to play. And practically every game gets a ton of bug fixes, improvements (sometimes pretty major ones), and expansions in the 1-2 years after release.

My FOMO is gone, Now all I have is fear of wasting my time on an inferior experience.

Maybe I’ll buy a PlayStation 12 if I’m on my death bed when Final Fantasy 22 launches.
I guess you're gonna say on your death bed "I wish I wasted more of my life waiting for things longer" :messenger_beaming:

dotnotbot

We always knew this was one of their objectives, it's why I don't see day and date releases for PC happening anytime soon. The more people buying into the Playstation eco-system, the better.

I know there was a fair chunk of my friends who are PC gamers, went out and brought a PS5 for the GOW Ragnarok release.

PC master race pride doesn't allow them to admit it but a lot of them buy some consoles as secondary gaming devices.

If you already have powerful PC then spending additional $400 on PS5 is peanuts for you, so why not?

Last edited:

Xyphie

The Overton window of Sony PC releases will continue to shift closer towards day 1 availability.

Next in line:
  • Remakes like Until Dawn with day 1 availability.
  • PSVR games getting released on PC/Quest with PSVR2 and non-PSVR headset support.
  • Some non-"tentpole" game getting a day 1 release on PC. Think something like LittleBigPlanet or Dreams on PC/Mobile day 1.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Im cool waiting. I think they are going to struggle getting as many 3rd and 2nd party exclusives next gen. That leaves just 1st party. Will be down to a handful of games. This gen so far for me personally its just Demon Souls. 1 game I'd be eager to play. Not a huge problem waiting.

vkbest

Other than Helldivers 2 theres no PS game that has done anywhere near the same numbers on PC.
I haven't played any new Sony game this gen except last God of War (available in PS4 too). I could simply go to PC and don't spend money in PSN anymore, simply because currently I know even if I have to wait, I can play any game Sony is releasing in PC. That is the point, the point is you don't need a Playstation anymore to play some games, that is enough to people jump from Playstation ecosystem to PC. Do you understand what means for Sony if people stop to buying PS physical games or PSN games?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
I think what he meant here is more the benefits of having a multimedia franchise. People play the game on PC then go on to watch the show on some streaming service, or they watch the show and decide to buy the game. Having more nodes of access for users works a lot better in such cases.

dotnotbot

Gamers are super impatient by definition, just take a look at how many of them buy pre-orders or early access. So I'm fully confident people writing here "I can wait, I've got other games to play" are in minority.

Last edited:

Kazdane

Gold Member
So do PlayStation players...
sSh6yax.png
Sorry, I didn't mean games released on the platform, but owned games. I have 868 games (just checked) on my Steam Library, and 313 on my Epic Games Library (some will be duplicates), and that's without including also EA and Ubisoft libraries (which are much smaller anyways) and I can guarantee you my library isn't anywhere close to users with the largest libraries on Steam. That's the biggest advantage PC has over any console, you can play games for which, perhaps, you no longer have the console you got them on lying around.

Astray

I know a few people who have already jumped ship from PC to PS5 because of this.

Although I do believe that most PC users won't, but at least some will. Inflation is rising, cost of living is very high, and PC components are not getting any cheaper. Not to mention that awful ports that PCs keep getting.
That last part was directly cited to me by a friend as to why he's not going to upgrade his pc for what he thinks is an exorbitant cost to have the privilege of playing bad ports.

I can't see that strategy working unless there is a serious case of FOMO in the PC community. Since having Disney + I haven't watched a single Disney film in the cinema because I know it will come to the service at some point. PC gamers know that inevitably Spider Man 2 etc will come. You also don't have those prolonged gaps on between big releases as you have all Microsoft games day 1 as well. Now, multiplayer games can trigger FOMO more and if Helldivers 3 launched a year early on the console that could cause some PC gamers to pick up a console as there is an incentive to be early in the community, but single player games just don't have that. I really want to play Final Fantasy 8 Rebirth but I'm waiting for the PS5 Pro to see if there is an update. Most adults can defer gratification.

DrFigs

They can't even entice ps4 owners to switch over by ending the ps4 ports. it's not really believable. this idea that "we want you to switch, but we'll keep giving you the games if you don't" is a bad strategy. it doesn't even make sense.

Last edited:

coolmast3r

Spider Man 2, 8 months ago
Spider Man 2 is not a 'tentpole' game, unfortunately. And 11 million copies sold to date doesn't indicate that it is. If anything, it only highlights the severe first party exclusives drought on PS5. If it was in fact a 'tentpole' game, all you'd see on gaming forums like GAF would be constant crying and moaning about the fact that you can't play Spider-Man 2 on PC. So yeah, the premium badge of being a Playstation exclusive game is no longer what it used to be, say, in the days of PS3.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
A fools errand. It was uncertainty that made us buy consoles. Being guaranteed they are coming to PC irregardless of a staggered release removes the FOMO.
This. I don't think this is the right decision. Either be there day and date on all platforms or not at all. I'd be surprised if there are was a measureable benefit for the company in delaying the PC release.

ZehDon

Nah. Now that the cats out of the bag, their shareholders will demand deeper expansion into PC land long before PC gamers buy a PlayStation 5 for Sony's brand of third person cinematic action adventure games. I didn't bother with GOW Ragnarok after its more mixed reception - bfor AUD$125.00, I'll just wait to play it on my PC with better... everything for a third of the price.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If they would do that, or extend the time-gate, why would you think they'd do that?

It'd be like giving a junkie your best drugs until he gets used to it and then withhold it from him.

Should be quite obvious.

Games arent drugs.
Your analogy is extremely extremely flawed for many reasons.
Even in the drug world, people move to the cheaper (easier to get) alternative as things get worse.........in the gaming world, the cheaper alternative is waiting for the PC version, whether thats waiting 6 months, one year or two years.

PC gamers arent starved for games to the point of shelling out ~500 dollars for a console then shelling out another 70 dollars to play a single exclusive.....140 if Sony keeps going with two tentpole titles per year.

Even if they increase the port time (they wont) it wouldnt make a difference.
It would however directly impact their yearly revenue because PC versions are bringing in revenue.
So if we are thinking "obviously" the logical thing to do is shorten the port time, one year tops, under better cuz you still have the marketing hype train bolstering sales.

If Sony is smart, they'd release a Bloodborne Remake as an exclusive PS6 launch-title with no sign of a PC release, like Demon's Souls Remake.
^^^^ Thats what hopium looks like btw.

Bloodbourne Remake PS6 exclusive release with no PC version in sight........by then their PC library and sales will be looking healthy enough PC gamers wont even balk at the "PlayStation Console" exclusive sign at the bottom of the announce trailer.

Gamers are super impatient by definition, just take a look at how many of them buy pre-orders or early access. So I'm fully confident people writing here "I can wait, I've got other games to play" are in minority.

If they havent bought a PS5 yet........me thinks they are sticking with PC and waiting for the ports....those that have moved.......have moved, those that are left well.
If after todays state of play we see a massive shift towards the PS5 maybe ill be more inclined to believe you.......but then again, I also know PC gamers........they are patient enough to wait for a port
Ghosts of Tsushima is like what 4 years old?
Spider-Man was also 4 years old?
Sonys previous most successful SP PC launch was God of War'18 ......... you guessed it 4 years old.

I wouldnt be shocked if Ragnarok gets announced for PC at tonight's State of Play.
Then mid next year Spider-Man 2 gets announced as the next PC port and with its announcement a precedent is set for how long PC gamers should wait for a port.

Wait was The Last of Us Part II already announced for PC?

midnightAI

Spider Man 2 is not a 'tentpole' game, unfortunately. And 11 million copies sold to date doesn't indicate that it is. If anything, it only highlights the severe first party exclusives drought on PS5. If it was in fact a 'tentpole' game, all you'd see on gaming forums like GAF would be constant crying and moaning about the fact that you can't play Spider-Man 2 on PC. So yeah, the premium badge of being a Playstation exclusive game is no longer what it used to be, say, in the days of PS3.
You aren't the one to decide what Sony considers tentpole, Sony is and by Sony's metrics it is a tentpole game (existing hit franchise from a studio with a proven track record)

Killjoy-NL

So, their target audience is "Ultra playstation fans who, for some bizzarre reason, don't already own a playstation"?
Their target audience is people who are or might be on the fence and may or may not have been console-gamers at some point.

The rest is just an afterthought they can squeeze some extra money out of when sales on console dried up.

It isn't rocket-science.

Kazdane

Gold Member
Wait was The Last of Us Part II already announced for PC?
I believe not. If there's any sort of PC announcement tonight, it could be that one? (or they may be saving it to release it around when the next season of the show does, which feels like super smart timing tbh).

Hudo

Gold Member
It's just figure head pr to soften the day one live service games so he won't get as much blow back as Jim did on social media.
that's the impression that I got as well, after some thinking. He's essentially telling investors to chill the fuck out.

Killjoy-NL

Games arent drugs.
Your analogy is extremely extremely flawed for many reasons.
Even in the drug world, people move to the cheaper (easier to get) alternative as things get worse.........in the gaming world, the cheaper alternative is waiting for the PC version, whether thats waiting 6 months, one year or two years.

PC gamers arent starved for games to the point of shelling out ~500 dollars for a console then shelling out another 70 dollars to play a single exclusive.....140 if Sony keeps going with two tentpole titles per year.

Even if they increase the port time (they wont) it wouldnt make a difference.
It would however directly impact their yearly revenue because PC versions are bringing in revenue.
So if we are thinking "obviously" the logical thing to do is shorten the port time, one year tops, under better cuz you still have the marketing hype train bolstering sales.

Games and drugs aren't that different from eachother, really.
Once you realize that, everything else starts making sense.

And it wouldn't be logical to shorten time-windows, because even PC gamers claim they have no problem waiting.
^^^^ Thats what hopium looks like btw.

Bloodbourne Remake PS6 exclusive release with no PC version in sight........by then their PC library and sales will be looking healthy enough PC gamers wont even balk at the "PlayStation Console" exclusive sign at the bottom of the announce trailer.
Nothing hopium about that, because as I said, personally idc what Sony releases on which platforms.

As for BB, just look at Demon's Souls. It isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Hopium is expecting day 1 releases for all PS output, without exceptions.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Their target audience is people who are or might be on the fence and may or may not have been console-gamers at some point.

The rest is just an afterthought they can squeeze some extra money out of when sales on console dried up.

It isn't rocket-science.
Weird that people on the fence would be enticed back to consoles by PC ports instead of having their choice validated, but ok.

lordrand11

With the pace of game releases PC gamers are heavily backlogged. Not sure how much this strategy will work, if anything I now wait to grab cheap keys of Sony games rather than go out and buy a PS5. For people like me Sont just killed any reason to buy into their ecosystem outside of buying their port heavily discounted.
Or even buy those games used for their console. I've got the big three but my PC gets all the usage, there's just something about playing a game with mouse and keyboard that is worlds apart from playing via controller not to mention it's fairly cheap and easy to pick up copies of those games while they're on sale on a better platform with better graphics, that runs at a higher framerate than the 60-120.

Larivel

Yeah, you have people dropping 40 bucks more on AC Shadows just to play 3 days early ffs...

Most PC players have no problem with owning a console, the elitist type is definitely a small minority. Personally, I can't imagine waiting ~2 years (and probably getting spoiled in the process) for a game I would really want to play.

Utherellus

What’s the biggest asset we all have? Time. You cannot buy, exchange, expand time. If you want to wait for things it’s fine. Perhaps when you get bit older you’ll understand it.
You can exchange time of waiting for PC port by playing other games.

Getting dragged into whole another media-entertainment system, other than PC just for couple of games is so wild to me.

I won't be buying a console for your sequels, Sony. Sorry.
Bring them to PC, time flies so quickly those ports arrive faster then you could imagine.
I experience no discomfort waiting for them.

Nevadatan

No thanks,im gonna wait.

Console gaming has always seems surprisingly expensive for me, specially if you lived in a third world shithole like me, it surprises me to this day why took me so long to move to PC from X360. sure the initial hardware price is lower than PC but even a Xbox 360 on launch day costed upwards to a 110% the minimum wage, and games were 30-40ish percent of you salary it becomes hard to justify. and then having to pay LIVE every month. and the fact you REQUIRED and still require a valid credit card to take advantage of the ridiculous "sales" you get on console is unacceptable.

As valid credit card i mean that neither Xbox nor PlayStation accept virtual cards or prepaid cards, a full credit card is an expense no many on these kind of countries can afford, or even have the score to get, even now that i live on another country and have a salary 6 times the one i had on my third world home, its really hard to me justify having a real credit card, when i can just use the prepaid one off my bank account balance

the fact the second hand PS4 i found for 50 bucks years ago still refuses to accept my prepaid card tells me they havent changed one bit.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen sadly.

All you are doing is building a library for PC players.

Currently we have around 8+ games. The library will get better and better as time goes on.
Yep. it's too late now. They opened the Pandora box. Everybody knows they can just wait a bit for those games to come to their PC. Soon in pursuit or more profits (and more bonuses for execs that are going to leave soon) they are going to shorten the time for those PC ports. From 2 years they'll eventually make it 1 year, then no time at all. Playstation consoles will be dead by this time, like Xbox now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom