• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) Demo impressions

Lucent

Netcode has been consistently excellent for me with no lag and short wait times for joining groups. I've been really impressed with it. I would check your setup.

Yeah pretty much. Even partied with my friend who has pretty bad internet speeds hosting and we still had a smooth experience with no drops.

njean777

Please tell me in the final version there are more then three costumes... Also one question do bosses drop rare spells sometimes? I just wan t to know if there is a point to grinding bosses like there is in monster hunter. Other then getting multiple spells to be able to have extras.

Azull

There are a few 2 bosses high level quests (and one low level iirc).

All Forbidden Arts (Black Rites, whatever) are damage dealing, but quite a few of them also hold the boss in place so that your team can pummel it for huge damage.

That's awesome news, was worried that all black rites were just damage dealing spells.

Please tell me in the final version there are more then three costumes... Also one question do bosses drop rare spells sometimes? I just wan t to know if there is a point to grinding bosses like there is in monster hunter. Other then getting multiple spells to be able to have extras.

I think it was like 60+ different costumes or something like that. Also yes they do, just matters the amount of points and rank you obtain. Usually when you hit Divine you get rare spells.

wilflare

Why did you have to say this :/

why :/ ? I'm very excited to know that there are such quests! :D

I think someone mentioned there are more costumes in the full game :D
yes, bosses do drop rare spells. they are called Martyr rewards.. which you "unlock" by either using Black Rites or Sacrifice/Be Sacrificed.

so yea there is a purpose in grinding bosses

The lore section is pretty neat. I like the little stories associated with the monsters and places -- they have a grim fantasy feel somewhere between Nier and the Souls games. The Lake Andromeda lore gives the place some cool backstory, with
the woman melting into a lake and the chains pinning down some unknown thing beneath the depths
. I'm even reminded a little of Lost Odyssey's Thousand Years of Memories, though more for the vignette-like form of the content rather than its quality.

satori

Just took the time to read the lore, normally which I never do... Some of it is just pure awesome.... Makes me want to get a camel.

kuroshiki

Goddamn people. USE Lacrima after infernus! XOH(*H($H#E#(IUHKIHGIH

For god's sake! and if you are lv 4, 5 and have no weapon that's effective against cerberus, please do everyone a favor and do not join the game!

You are doing nothing but adding extra HP to the monster! AHHHHH!!!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

For god's sake! and if you are lv 4, 5 and have no weapon that's effective against cerberus, please do everyone a favor and do not join the game!

You don't really need weapons of a specific element if you can play well though. My offerings have been a mess for about 70% of my full game playtime, because I couldn't get a whole set, so I went for the spells that did the most damage instead.

satori

Just had a match where this guy was 5/7 and only have 3 spells hot keyed out of the six. Died at the start and spam the save me function. Died again because he just stood there. Got ressed again by the team then just ran around the boss. Needless to say after his 2nd death I ran to sac his ass.

We ended up winning easily. Had a full support 19/1 with shields and heals. While me and the other was full dps.

Anyways for those with a full support build I salute you.

Lucent

Just had a match where this guy was 5/7 and only have 3 spells hot keyed out of the six. Died at the start and spam the save me function. Died again because he just stood there. Got ressed again by the team then just ran around the boss. Needless to say after his 2nd death I ran to sac his ass.

We ended up winning easily. Had a full support 19/1 with shields and heals. While me and the other was full dps.

LOL! Gotta love the moochers.

Also, I've been considering doing a full support build, too. But I dunno, I kind of like smacking stuff with my weapons and all that.

I think I had the same guy in my game the other day! I sac'd him at the start then he quit out.

Wazzy

Banned
Yesssss! Beat Cerberus twice tonight. The first was only me and one of my friends paired with two other people. We used our ice shields to knock him down and then we all spammed different attacks. We also used soldiers ember to roll into him and interrupt his attacks. The golem attack was also extremely helpful.

Second match was me and two of my friends and since we figured out the best strategy for beating him, we had no issues.

I know its surprising but some people might be new to the demo :p

I agree it should tell you in matchmaking about rites. You also should be able to Write a sentence longer than 16 characters!

nampad

There should be ingame voice chat without needing to use the party app. Don't ubderstand why they haven't implented it this way.

There should be ingame voice chat without needing to use the party app. Don't ubderstand why they haven't implented it this way.

I agree. I wish invites were easier too. Having to go into another app then read the message, then accept is a pain. Its actually easier to search for a room name than use the invite system.

wilflare

The lore section is pretty neat. I like the little stories associated with the monsters and places -- they have a grim fantasy feel somewhere between Nier and the Souls games. The Lake Andromeda lore gives the place some cool backstory, with
the woman melting into a lake and the chains pinning down some unknown thing beneath the depths
. I'm even reminded a little of Lost Odyssey's Thousand Years of Memories, though more for the vignette-like form of the content rather than its quality.

Just took the time to read the lore, normally which I never do... Some of it is just pure awesome.... Makes me want to get a camel.

Really liked that one, along with the Andromeda Lake one.

I really like the Lore bits (the limited parts that I have read) But I do hope there's something more to them... than just reading through though. Like going through some world watching the story unfold (via some kind of Mind's Eye or Post-Death point of view) would add to the whole feeling.

but it is awesome! am I the only one who likes how the Loading Screens tell some fun facts/story about the author of the book?

I hope the game has some reminder built in next time. but Lv4/5 isn't the problem.. The problem comes when you have players who die fast/early and plenty of times (taking up your health to save time).. Worst are peeps who ask you to sacrifice them when Cerberus is still GREEN...

LOL! Gotta love the moochers.

Also, I've been considering doing a full support build, too. But I dunno, I kind of like smacking stuff with my weapons and all that.

I'm trying to go for 19/1 too. Currently, more of a ranged build (ranged spells/attacks + Juggernaut).. My full support build will probably have 3 heal spells/trees/shields + some ranged attacks to go along.

It's pretty scary to rez someone and have the process eat a huge chunk of your health (and that bugger charges into Cerberus and dies almost the next moment)

I agree. I wish invites were easier too. Having to go into another app then read the message, then accept is a pain. Its actually easier to search for a room name than use the invite system.

I hope they allow us to add people from the in-game lobby... Met some awesome guys I would love to play with again...

I don't think I ever got good enough in Monster Hunter to solo stuff like this. lol.

I kinda did alright with dual monsters in MH but boy is it fucking annoying. Imagining something like a Harpy and Cerberus running around now is....ugh

Not sure if its the same person but I had a dude that was constantly getting killed during the Harpy fight and spamming the save me button. I saved him twice and then left his ass on the ground for an eventual sacrifice but I think the game got disconnected. LOL

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You get unlimited uses with it, unlike the other offerings. If you are high level Divine, you should have a ton of HP and heals can replenish your ammo.
To be honest I haven't seen this spell used even once aside from the "don't get hit" quests with the RSG crew when we used it to get our HP low enough to use forbidden arts/sacrifice each other.

Few questions:

One: What do you use the shards for you pickup during the quests?

Two: Is the fusing worth doing in the demo... I have not find any reason to?

Note: if you upgrade your healing seed past 3 stars its giving you 50 healing less than the 3 star one.

Cheers

Zemm

Can i level both healing and dmg aspects (saving vs sacraficing ) to maximum level or is there some trade-of ?

So far i have 5-5 lvl

There are 100 levels total (20 in the demo), and you have to share the chaos and divinity levels between those 100. So you can go 1/99, 99/1, 50/50, 60/40 and so on.

Number45

Did the Jack-o-lantern quest, and the gameplay is starting to click all of a sudden. Still struggling to deal with all of the combat options in the heat of battle, but that should come with a bit of time.

Wanny

Oh lord. I have a week off (Graduating then first work) and it's exactly at the same time as Soul Sacrifice's release date. Gaming heaven.

matmanx1

Oh lord. I have a week off (Graduating then first work) and it's exactly at the same time as Soul Sacrifice's release date. Gaming heaven.

I envy you. I've already put more time into this demo than I would have thought and I'm still not done with it. I can see putting some very serious time into the final game when it hits.

I accidentally fused my 3 star iron pinwheel this morning in making a thunder stone projectile so now I need to go back and beat up on the jack o lantern again for more pinwheels. I also fused my mud golem entrails with the venom root to make the forest golem and tried it out. It doesn't look as cool (imo) as the stone golem but has higher stats and lasts longer. So many cool spells and abilities and this is just the demo!

SmokyDave

Didn't really get a chance to play this over the weekend and now I'm itching to get back into it. Hopefully I'll pick it back up again OK because I was pretty lost last time I played. Something about the game keeps pulling me back in though, I can imagine sinking humongous amounts of time into it when it finally 'clicks'.

Not necessarily a dummies guide, but some useful basics here. Hopefully it gets fleshed out more with the western releases.

This should definitely help!

ZeroAKA

you're AbstractChaos right?
man... you've been working at this game :O
I've seen people get even higher. Finals are coming up soon, so I need to make the most of the demo while I still can. :p

Soul Sacrifice will be released the day finals begin.

Top Bottom