• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special Metal Gear Solid V: TPP stream announced for gamescom, hosted by Keighley

Status
Not open for further replies.

glottis8

Banned
Uhm... that has nothing to do with Chico...

Kojima revealed this:

It became a huge shitstorm around the interwebz and that's why he tweeted the tweet you posted. Theories are she has similar abilities to the The End and that's why her skin needs the sun or some shit.

I dunno.. it seems implied in there.. why would the word ashamed be used then?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Nah man come on ....Quiet is 1000% NOT Chico. Stefanie Joosten the model of Quiet even answered and debunked that question in one of the Kojima station episodes.

I'm very excited to find out why Quiet is dressed like she is but this seriously is the DUMBEST THEORY EVER MADE.

He said "ashamed" because you know the tough internet people probably called Kojima a pervert or a sexist and what not.

Edit: One thing is funny, Kojima even told Shinkawa to draw her more "sexier". So there is apparently no excuse for that.
leuhkiktmk96.gif

glottis8

Banned
Nah man come on ....Quiet is 1000% NOT Chico. Stefanie Joosten the model of Quiet even answered and debunked that question in one of the Kojima station episodes.

I'm very excited to find out why Quiet is dressed like she is but this seriously is the DUMBEST THEORY EVER MADE.

He said "ashamed" because you know the tough internet people probably called Kojima a pervert or a sexist and what not.

Edit: One thing is funny, Kojima even told Shinkawa to draw her more "sexier". So there is apparently no excuse for that.
leuhkiktmk96.gif

I think the whole theory was really dumb... then i listened to all teh evidence in one of youngyeas videos.. and then i saw that... there are similarities. then i read that tweet... i am skeptical haha

i really don't know what to make of it.

We need more MGS news to distract me from tin foil theories. Next i'll start believing in Grey Fox being BB.

SJRB

Gold Member

That is not implied in the slightest whatsoever. It's Kojima's reaction to the massive fallout after the character reveal, which upset some people because she's wearing a skimpy outfit.

glottis8

Banned
That is not implied in the slightest whatsoever. It's Kojima's reaction to the massive fallout after the character reveal, which upset some people because she's wearing a skimpy outfit.

Fair enough... i see that now. thanks for the clarification guys.

Skullface

Is anyone else just jonsing for more info? Gosh... It's just incredibly discouraging that we only get a rehash on Thursday with TGS being the next hope for any info on a release date. Even then I just don't want to get my hopes up, because I crashed pretty hard after gamescon. I feel bad for being snippy with Tora. This is my formal apology if you're viewing the thread Tora.

Is the first character Kurt Russel? Well done!

atr0cious

leuhkiktmk96.gif
I think Kojima telling Yoji to make her sexier really strengthens the theory for me. With gay vampires running about in MGS2, I really don't see how this theory is all that dumb. And why would anyone be ashamed for calling him a pervert if it turns out it's just because Quiet's skin turns to camo? People would still say her design is too far. She could easily wear leggings or something, not torn pantyhose. The model could have been told not to say anything, so its not like her word is bond. I think it's funny they've spent so much time showing her off, especially if the theory does come true. Then we'd have some really unabashed shame.

And Kojima considers himself an auteur, so I don't see how something like the phatom cigar goes unnoticed by him.

Palpable

I think Kojima telling Yoji to make her sexier really strengthens the theory for me. With gay vampires running about in MGS2, I really don't see how this theory is all that dumb. And why would anyone be ashamed for calling him a pervert if it turns out it's just because Quiet's skin turns to camo? People would still say her design is too far. She could easily wear leggings or something, not torn pantyhose. The model could have been told not to say anything, so its not like her word is bond. I think it's funny they've spent so much time showing her off, especially if the theory does come true. Then we'd have some really unabashed shame.

And Kojima considers himself an auteur, so I don't see how something like the phatom cigar goes unnoticed by him.

Vamp is bisexual and they're showing Quiet off because 1) Kojima wants people to cosplay the shit out of her, & 2) She's the female heroine of V.

What does the phantom cigar have to do with him being an auteur?

atr0cious

Vamp is bisexual and they're showing Quiet off because 1) Kojima wants people to cosplay the shit out of her, & 2) She's the female heroine of V.

What does the phantom cigar have to do with him being an auteur?

Did you notice in the pictures from Gamescom there were no cosplayers of Quiet with Kojima? I'd argue there are no heroes of MGSV.

As for the cigar, This article is about the genesis of the quote, but this is what I'm talking about:

In 1922 “The International Journal of Psycho-Analysis” published an article about the symbolism of cigarettes, cigars, and pipes by Eric Hiller. The article made clear that the phallic symbolism of smoking was established by the 1920s. The cover page of the journal proudly displayed its connection to the founder of psychoanalysis with the statement “Directed by Sigmund Freud” [IJPA]:

Cigarettes and cigars can symbolise the penis. They are cylindrical and tubular. They have a hot, red end. They emit smoke that is fragant ( = flatus = semen). …

I refer to the reason, or at least one of the reasons, why people start smoking (and, of course, why they go on), that is the phallic significance of the cigarette, cigar and pipe. It is thus a substitute for the penis (mother’s breast) of which they have been deprived (castrated, weaned).

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" is a very common phrase used by people analyzing art where they think someone is going to far on their analysis. That Kojima has a non-existant phallic symbol as an equip-able item says a lot. This ties into Skullface talking about Chico being a 'man.'

Sn4ke_911

How the fuck could Quiet be Chico? How??

How could this even be remotely possible? she is way taller than Chico, you think they made his legs longer? gave him boobs etc? I mean WTF guys? do we seriously have people who believe in this fucking stupid theory? like really??

I just want to understand what makes people think this could be real....

Palpable

Did you notice in the pictures from Gamescom there were no cosplayers of Quiet with Kojima? I'd argue there are no heroes of MGSV.

As for the cigar, This article is about the genesis of the quote, but this is what I'm talking about:

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" is a very common phrase used by people analyzing art where they think someone is going to far on their analysis. That Kojima has a non-existant phallic symbol as an equip-able item says a lot. This ties into Skullface talking about Chico being a 'man.'

Gamescom shouldn't be your only example. There have been a LOT of Quiet cosplayers since her reveal.

I don't get it... What does Snake smoking have to do with him being an auteur, still? Not once have I thought of smoking anything to be in any way a phallic symbol. It has been an equipable item throughout the entire series. How does this tie into Skull Face telling Chico he's a man now? I always thought that was reference to the whole Paz torture tape we hear.

SJRB

Gold Member

ig4iyYhQhk324.gif

Thread is getting weird again.

Ateron

Yeah, I hope we get something new to talk about soon, this is getting weird again. Then again, this is a mgs thread, it's to be expected. People over analyze things. There have always been cigarettes/cigars throughout the franchise,didn't mean anything then, doubt it means now.

And I hope Quiet is the female heroine of mgsv in the same capacity as Meryl or Eva. Don't wanna play as anyone else, other than from Big Boss in mgsv
and SolidSnake,obviously lol
. Nothing against her but I hope they don't mean "heroine" in a literal way (another switcheroo like Raiden). I can understand if he were to do it, show us BB's evil side from another perspective but there's only one right way to do it, team A way.

Edit:spoiler tagging fail.

Sn4ke_911

Yeah, I hope we get something new to talk about soon, this is getting weird again. Then again, this is a mgs thread, it's to be expected. People over analyze things. There have always been cigarettes/cigars throughout the franchise,didn't mean anything then, doubt it means now.

And I hope Quiet is the female heroine of mgsv in the same capacity as Meryl or Eva. Don't wanna play as anyone else, other than from Big Boss in mgsv
and SolidSnake,obviously lol
. Nothing against her but I hope they don't mean "heroine" in a literal way (another switcheroo like Raiden). I can understand if he were to do it, show us BB's evil side from another perspective but there's only one right way to do it, team A way.

Edit:spoiler tagging fail.

I wouldn't mind playing with her (lol) for a few missions or so but the main characters to play with should definitely be Big Boss and Solid Snake.
leuhkiktmk96.gif

atr0cious

Gamescom shouldn't be your only example. There have been a LOT of Quiet cosplayers since her reveal.

I don't get it... What does Snake smoking have to do with him being an auteur, still? Not once have I thought of smoking anything to be in any way a phallic symbol. It has been an equipable item throughout the entire series. How does this tie into Skull Face telling Chico he's a man now? I always thought that was reference to the whole Paz torture tape we hear.

The whole series has been about "manly men" being manly men at the cost of their 'humanity'. MGSV is hopefully gonna show us Big Boss going full tilt, over shit he himself has been helping escalate. Snake spends his whole existence being told what to do, and in the end, nothing good ever comes out of it, MGR shows that. In other words, mainstream manly men do some horrible shit because thats what they thought they were supposed to do.

The first three Solid games were about how you dealt with life based on who you are. And how you have the choice to do something other than what you were told to do. Snake had no love for himself, even in MGS1.

Skullface telling Chico he's a man for harming the person he loved is probably not something Chico wanted to hear. The use of that phrase has been said in the same context all the time just for having consenting sex, which is pretty fucking sad in it self since children can have sex, but maybe Kojima is trying to place emphasis on this for this.

We talk about games being art, but people don't want to give the designers credit for any kind of depth other than mechanically. We've seen some whiffs, if FarCry3's director is to be believed, but I like MGS games because there is usually a whole lot going on underneath. Just the Arsenal Gear alone is worth the price of admission. I believe in death of the author, but I can't discredit Kojima enough to say he didn't think most of this himself.

I don't know. I would really like Kojima to pull it off though. But if you were to tell me that the Quiet character model is supposed to be Stephania Jostein or whatever, I'd say the Fox engine was glitching. There's a reason that face isn't exactly hers.

Sn4ke_911

I don't know. I would really like Kojima to pull it off though. But if you were to tell me that the Quiet character model is supposed to be Stephania Jostein or whatever, I'd say the Fox engine was glitching. There's a reason that face isn't exactly hers.

:lol

She looks pretty much like her.

Quiet.jpg

Kamina

Golden Boy

How could this even be remotely possible? she is way taller than Chico, you think they made his legs longer? gave him boobs etc? I mean WTF guys? do we seriously have people who believe in this fucking stupid theory? like really??

I just want to understand what makes people think this could be real....
She also has feminine hips, something pretty much every man lacks.
This theory is just fanfiction.

And about the sausage pics: Kojima just likes sausages a lot it seems.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ok, she looks okay in that first clip, cause that static model image it kinda looks like she's got Kanye's jaw. Although because of the lighting, you can barely kinda see it in the first one as well.
Here is another pic of Stefanie where she looks exactly like quiet.
quiet610.jpg

atr0cious

Here is another pic of Stefanie where she looks exactly like quiet.
quiet610.jpg

Yea, her face is really slimmed down here. But the character models jaws and cheeks are naturally bigger. The brow and the eyes' shape are also slightly different. The head and neck area on the character model looks kinda awkward as well.

Dawg

I voted for Sins of the father.

but the other songs are great too, fuck.

Not Your Kind of People really grew on me. I think it suits the trailer perfectly. Same goes for Sins of the Father. Although I must say, I actually prefer the intro of Sins vs. the more dramatic part in the middle :p

NUCLEAR is really amazing, but in a way it doesn't fit as much as the earlier soundtracks. Or maybe that's just me. It's still really good though. Maybe it's just because the last trailer felt a tad weaker than the rest.

Dawg

I was surprised when he just said "Kept you waiting, huh?" at the Konami event.

In-game it's more KKKEEEPPPPPPCHEWWWWWW WAITING HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH?"

Respawn

Banned
That's not skimpy that's straight 'I'm a slut I need attention outfit'. Nothing wrong with some tights but a torn up panty hose with a thong hugging the crotch is quite far from the outfit a professional soldier would wear for my taste.
No need to reply and give a paragraph. I get it and I'm not upset if others like it. I'm just not feeling the outfit.

WARP10CK

Banned
I leave this thread for a few hours and now Quiet is Chico another mgs theory this is why I love you neogaf, ha ha wonder what other theories will come out from now until the game releases.

colbert-popcorn.gif

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I was surprised when he just said "Kept you waiting, huh?" at the Konami event.

In-game it's more KKKEEEPPPPPPCHEWWWWWW WAITING HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH?"

Kiefer sure has stepped up his game for MGSV, his "Kept you waiting, huh?" was actually kinda nice at Gamescon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom