• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

I'm not a fan of the lock-on either, for the same reason. The UI design article in some Jump Point mentioned that it works well with VR though.

I suspect that it'll be changed.

Syf

Banned
Crashes at the loading screen every time for me. Anyone know of a fix?

Specs:
Windows 8
i7-3770K
GTX 680
16GB DDR3-1866
Sound Blaster ZxR

All the drivers are up to date.

3570k @ 4.2 GHz
1x GTX 780 (With memory @ 7 GHz, power target at 106% and core clock set to auto)
16GB Ram @ 1600 MHz
Windows 8.1
Mechanical Drive

There are drops at 4k, but nothing major (>25 FPS on average). I also get crashes if my ship blows up.
I dropped the res to that 2.40:1 one and everything seems good and runs at 30.
1080p is a locked 60fps.

I coppied r_AntialiasingMode=# into the console and tried numbers 0-10 and there was no difference. Did you do anything else to get AA working?

Also how did you manage to overclock your 780 that much?

I actually don't know. I have a stock cooler even. Won the silicon lottery perhaps?
14160374220_1b7d17d0fe_o.png

EDIT: My fan curve.
14323883846_2044a5c9a4_o.png

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I forgot I threw $45 at this last year. Gonna have to download this and check out my Aurora this weekend.

P3P5I

Got the infinite repair bug, but followed the fix by deleting all .version files and now it's re-downloading the entire game again. Oh well, 90 minutes to go.

Blizzard

Banned
Reading this thread makes me sad that I spent a million dollars and only got a 2GB GTX 770. Some day I do want a 4+ GB graphics card.

Durante

I didn't even realize that I had access to this. Only ever threw 30 USD at the project.

Apparently being an "original backer" does count for something ;)
Downloading!

Leb

Holy crap, this looks so much better than I thought it would. If only the economics of game development were different such that we had more titles that offered complex gameplay systems while pushing the graphical envelope at the same time.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone having issues with the Warthog HOTAS? For some reason it only recognizes the joystick and not the throttle.

Thanks very much. The 4GB card sounds good. I might just do it.

Do it! I'm rocking a GTX 770 with 2GB and honestly I feel like the only limiting factor is the VRAM. Runs pretty much everything at ultra @ 1080p above 40fps and I'm sure with more VRAM you could get up to 4K territory easily.

Daedardus

So they went from 'complete disaster' to 'totally redeemed' in one day? Or is GAF not representative of the general consensus?

metalshade

So they went from 'complete disaster' to 'totally redeemed' in one day? Or is GAF not representative of the general consensus?

People are heavily bitching about Star Citizen being a mouse chaser arcade sim.
The threads over on RSI are exploding with people complaining that mouse control is more accurate for getting shots on target than Joysticks.
Because the mouse controls not only the orientation of the bow of the ship, but also the gimbal's on the weapons, where the Joystick only controls orientation, so people are calling mouse OP and Joystick's suck.
Seems that the suggestion to ctrl-f helps though, it locks your camera control to your orientation.
Will try for myself when I can finally get in, I have been downloading at 320 kb/s all day long.

HOTAS support is not so good. Might just be my x52 pro, but the deadzones are pretty bad. But it's pretty good on Elite, so I dunno. Also lots of unused buttons. Need to find a profile maybe?

Otherwise, I;m impressed how decently its running on my rig (i5-3570, 660ti).

Looks beautiful.

CTLance

Jesus H. tap-dancing Christ on a popsicle stick, I came home five hours ago and started the damn patcher right away. It's still at it, chugging away at a leisurely 400-600KB/s.

It was hell at work, knowing the game was being deployed - but now that I'm sitting in front of my PC and am helplessly twiddling my thumbs it's even worse. AAAAAGH. Somebody make the pain go away. Post more pics+webm's please.

Durante

The threads over on RSI are exploding with people complaining that mouse control is more accurate for getting shots on target than Joysticks.
Because the mouse controls not only the orientation of the bow of the ship, but also the gimbal's on the weapons, where the Joystick only controls orientation, so people are calling mouse OP and Joystick's suck.
Seems that the suggestion to ctrl-f helps though, it locks your camera control to your orientation.
Will try for myself when I can finally get in, I have been downloading at 320 kb/s all day long.
I do wonder where people get the idea that spacecraft aiming in the future would be controlled with a joystick, and not a far superior aiming device.
Like a mouse.

:p

Oh god it is definitely going to take me a while to figure out how to control these ships. Should I stick with keyboard/mouse or use a 360 pad?

garath

Oh wow. I actually have the 300i package. I should download this tonight! Gonna have to dust off the old joystick.

metalshade

I do wonder where people get the idea that spacecraft aiming in the future would be controlled with a joystick, and not a far superior aiming device.
Like a mouse.

:p

Heh. I know that mouse and keyboard will always be more precise, its just a fact.
What the dev's need to do is to try and ensure that all controls are as equal as possible, with no clear advantages one from the other.
I am gonna try my best with Joystick, despite being a noob with one, just because I want to be used to it when I finally get to use an oculus rift in this game....oh the immersion!

Vlodril

This game is just too pretty for it's own good:

screenshot0012ctjas.jpg

The performance is better than I thought.

That looks like farscape :). Also the aurora doesn't have an eject so apparently you cannot get out of it for now. I would also like better support for the hotas. I have a crappy one sure but still i would like more than 1/3 of the buttons work. Also i would like more sensitivity to the stick.

Still i am totally satisfied with their job. Not the best in communicating the last few days but my hype actually rose after the arena commander module (and it was pretty high to start with).

Now i am thinking ill get elite too when it releases. I missed space sims.

"People are heavily bitching about Star Citizen being a mouse chaser arcade sim.
Because the mouse controls not only the orientation of the bow of the ship, but also the gimbal's on the weapons, where the Joystick only controls orientation, so people are calling mouse OP and Joystick's suck."

The same shortsighted buffoons that have been complaining about mouse for the past few months. Mouse controlling flight *and* gimballed weapons at the same time is *not* a good thing for mouse control, it's actually really bad. The only reason why it seems good *now* is because there aren't any Class-1 weapons on the ships, they're all put on class-2 hard points at the moment, with the exception of the Aurora (according to the manual).

Tommyhawk

That looks like farscape :). Also the aurora doesn't have an eject so apparently you cannot get out of it for now.

Can I eject and/or land with a 300i? The eject button does not work on command for some reason.

Well, I don't know how to eject but there is a platform on this map where you can land (landing is a bit tricky though since you have to decouple and strafe down slowly) and get out.

screenshot0007h9xtf.jpg

Grief.exe

We had some competitive players in the last thread basically said that Joystick controls are useless for multiplayer. Great for single player and from an immersion standpoint, but there is never been a space sim where M/KB wasn't the preferred way to play.

"We had some competitive players in the last thread basically said that Joystick controls are useless for multiplayer. Great for single player and from an immersion standpoint, but there is never been a space sim where M/KB wasn't the preferred way to play."

This is...not true. At all. Competitive players in what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom