• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

desu

I normally download stuff with 6 MB/s. For this I get 120 KB/s. Clearly their delivery network for Austria is inadequate.

Yeah lots of people from Europe complaining about low speeds. Usually getting 12MB/s but now between 100 KB/s and 1.2MB/s.

Syf

Banned
Still can't get past the loading screen. Ends with either a crash or a connection error. It's weird because the hangar module never gave me an issue. Ah well, I'll wait for a patch.

*continues drooling over this thread*

Evrae

Banned
And a-one.

And a-two.

That's 1080 on Low with a 460 and below min spec RAM (6gb).

Shit maneuvering because Yaw/Roll is inverted by default. Thank you Chris Roberts, I hold you personally responsible.

Also eject = ALT+L

Once you're more or less safely landed press F and you will get out.

How do you land?

Also, my favorite shot:
14161178447_20a1cdf880_o.jpg

desu

Game is so evil. Took ages to download and I should be long in bed already. Now I get connection lost on starting the game all the time. I rather once I was able to see the Hangar for a split second because I got thrown out again :s.

Vlodril

The more i think about it , the more sure i am ill use my hotas for this game. I got them on a whim (last space sim i played with a joystic was wc4 or xwing vs tie fighter (not sure which was first chronologically) and after trying them on the module even without them working properly , the immersion is much much better than keyboard / mouse.

ASTROID2

Game is so evil. Took ages to download and I should be long in bed already. Now I get connection lost on starting the game all the time. I rather once I was able to see the Hangar for a split second because I got thrown out again :s.

I can't connect either.

Nete

Shit maneuvering because Yaw/Roll is inverted by default. Thank you Chris Roberts, I hold you personally responsible.

Joystick? In that case, just press ` to show the console, type:

pp_RebindKeys layout_joystick_spacesim

and enjoy :D

Faith

@VisceralBowl
I ordered a LG 29EB73-P 21:9 monitor because of you!

29EB73-P_1.jpg

I want to play Star Citizen in 21:9, it will be awesome :D

Kud Dukan

Download speeds seem very inconsistent...keeps jumping up to a few MB/s, then dropping down to a few hundred KB/s for a while.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
lololololol

No. Nonooononono.

Go try and play Wing Commander with a mouse.

Bleh, yeah, that was bad. Mouse as joystick equivalent.

WASD for horizontal/vertical strafing, Q/E to roll and mouse for pitch/yaw and aim was great in other games though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bleh, yeah, that was bad. Mouse as joystick equivalent.

WASD for horizontal/vertical strafing, Q/E to roll and mouse for pitch/yaw and aim was great in other games though.

I'm not saying mouse controls can't be good, I'm just saying that whoever these 'pros' are that claim that there has never been a space sim that played better on a joystick are full of rich, creamy shit.

Murtrod

Can't they like just put in a arcade machine inside the game where you can play Strike Vector?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehOSJTGKMg

Star Citizen looks like a great game for exploration, but I'm not convinced on the gameplay and fun factor of pvp.

So far, I have to agree with this. I mean, it is early on, so god knows they will improving it at some point, but it plays terribly at the moment.

Not saying it will be a terrible game. Not at all. But they need to pick up the pace a bit. Maybe stop it with all of the promotional work that they keep doing and maybe focus on making the game. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion.

Well, back to Elite: Dangerous! (for now, until SLI is fixed)

jblank83

"We had some competitive players in the last thread basically said that Joystick controls are useless for multiplayer. Great for single player and from an immersion standpoint, but there is never been a space sim where M/KB wasn't the preferred way to play."

I don't even... what... ?_?

Dex815

I was a bit sceptical when I tried the free flight in the beginning, but after understanding the controls and taking some minutes to get used to it, I must to say that is really enjoyable even in such an early build.

I'm using a DS4, because I read that the TrackIR is not implemented yet and the hotas controls suck right now.

The controls in the pad seem well though and as only bad point I would say that the control of the UI (LT+pad) is kind of difficult, due to the lack of positional elements in the UI to know what you have selected. When you are moving through the UI you have just a little change of color in the selected weapon/button/system, and it is in the middle of a see of flashing stuff due to the hologram effect, so is fairly difficult for the eyes to locate what you have selected. Even more if you are fighting.

The Swarm mode is fun and feels amazing when you are in a dogfight with an enemy ship, you destroy it and have to dodge the smoky pieces that remain.

During my first game I had a little friendly fire incident, I shot a missile to an enemy that was coming directly to me (exchanging fire), but a friendly Hornet decided that it was a good idea to cross between us. He was destroyed by the missile... But at least the remains of his ship made the Vanduul crash, he will be remembered as a hero :p

Techies

So far, I have to agree with this. I mean, it is early on, so god knows they will improving it at some point, but it plays terribly at the moment.

Not saying it will be a terrible game. Not at all. But they need to pick up the pace a bit. Maybe stop it with all of the promotional work that they keep doing and maybe focus on making the game. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion.

Well, back to Elite: Dangerous! (for now, until SLI is fixed)

Damn that Alpha/Beta price tag.
But yeah, I'm afraid I would lack the patience for Star Citizen, Elite looks like it could be the middle-ground for me.

Murtrod

Damn that Alpha/Beta price tag.
But yeah, I'm afraid I would lack the patience for Star Citizen, Elite looks like it could be the middle-ground for me.

The price tag does blow at the moment, but man, is it top notch. Still needs plenty of work, but flying freely through the ENTIRE Milky-way is surreal. And the combat, while it certainly is difficult and challenging, is fluid and tightened.

metalshade

So I cant find an .ini or any files I can adjust to get my keybinds how I want em, I must be missing something.
Anyone got any tips?

The ship destruction looks pretty nice but I can't tell from the few webms whether its completely dynamic or partially canned. Anyone been able to notice?

MrBig

The ship destruction looks pretty nice but I can't tell from the few webms whether its completely dynamic or partially canned. Anyone been able to notice?

Parts that are damaged will detach or swap to damage models, it isn't just a general 'ship gets more banged up as it loses health'

Mashing

Mouse/KB for space sims was only viable after Freelancer and even then that game was pretty arcadey (but I loved it all the same)

Very impressed so far. Getting quite a bit of flickering on certain objects in the distance. It runs much better than I expected though. Also, the Aurora is fuck ugly in flight, but I guess that's what you have to expect from a starting ship.

starcitizen2014-06-05wfjsh.png

starcitizen2014-06-0589k4d.png

So to get into all the action, I would have to pay $115 (to buy a package)? Is that correct?

I haven't bought into this project before now, how do I buy and play this? Aurora MR+ package and the Arena Commander pass are required ($45 total). Later test module releases will require separate $5 tokens for each one (different module details follow this section). Buying the Aurora MR+ package will give you access to the games beta state (which would be the Persistent Universe) and the final game, including the Squadron 42 campaign, Star Citizen PU, and private servers.

$45
$70 for a 300i
$130 for a Hornet.

Basically any of these + $5 for alpha access to this. $5 for any alpha after that. All betas are included.

Very impressed so far. Getting quite a bit of flickering on certain objects in the distance. It runs much better than I expected though. Also, the Aurora is fuck ugly in flight, but I guess that's what you have to expect from a starting ship.

starcitizen2014-06-05wfjsh.png

starcitizen2014-06-0589k4d.png

I really like the "afterburner" effect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom