• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ship is that? Interior looks really nice.

The loaner 300i.
14346458165_a5eebf57e2_o.png

epmode

Screens are incredible but I can absolutely confirm that Elite's audio design runs circles around Star Citizen. I hope they step it up.

The game runs a lot better than the hangar module so that's nice to see. And it looks like the hangar also had a performance update!

One thing I'm surprised about: I expected the public release to be like CIG's DFM reveal in which the ship actually flew out of the hangar into the map. They put a lot of work into that reveal that didn't make it into the public release.

P3P5I

So what are your guys' impressions on Vanduul Swarm and how many waves did you clear? I find it really fun and you can definitely tell the aces apart from the fodder. The highest I've gotten is killing Payday on Wave 12 then getting massacred.

So what are your guys' impressions on Vanduul Swarm and how many waves did you clear? I find it really fun and you can definitely tell the aces apart from the fodder. The highest I've gotten is killing Payday on Wave 12 then getting massacred.

Same. Around that wave they all start swarming me and I can't deal with them all simultaneously.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm not saying mouse controls can't be good, I'm just saying that whoever these 'pros' are that claim that there has never been a space sim that played better on a joystick are full of rich, creamy shit.

Mouse/KB for space sims was only viable after Freelancer and even then that game was pretty arcadey (but I loved it all the same)

Right, that's the style I was thinking of. Joystick was the way to go before that point for sure. Having the main guns on (implied) swivels to allow mouse aiming really cuts down on the value of movement precision. It's similar to how aim assist in console FPS games changes things.

Now, where's that button to duck behind the asteroid cover... (if someone winds up makes a space game with cover shooter mechanics now, I'm sorry for introducing the concept, lol)

P3P5I

Same. Around that wave they all start swarming me and I can't deal with them all at the same time.
Sucks that Vixen and Warlord start dying really fast in the later waves, or I'm just unlucky. I gotta read up on the power management stuff and what everything on the HUD does.

epmode

I have doubt regarding sound. I know it's a game and all that, but shouldn't the universe be in silence?

I think the next patch removes all sound effects but the pilot's breathing. Realism!

in-universe explanation: Sound effects are simulated by your ship to assist with situational awareness

BigDug13

How is it that a guy who was one of the creators of Wing commander is able to generate so much more kick starter money than the guys who created Elite? A series that had single handedly created the "space pirate open world" genre and went on to successfully iterate on this exact genre and carries the same name and pedigree for 3 decades?

fresquito

I think the next patch removes all sound effects but the pilot's breathing. Realism!

in-universe explanation: Sound effects are simulated by your ship to assist with situational awareness
Thanks. I just landed on the platform for a walk and was surprised by the heavy sound. Was a bit odd, to be honest.

epmode

How is it that a guy who was one of the creators of Wing commander is able to generate so much more kick starter money than the guys who created Elite? A series that had single handedly created the "space pirate open world" genre and went on to successfully iterate on this exact genre and carries the same name and pedigree for 3 decades?

Speaking as a big fan of Elite: Dangerous, Elite's crowdfunding pitch was pretty half-assed compared to Star Citizen's, especially when it first went up. It seemed like Braben was riding Roberts' coattails.

It's now obvious to everyone that Braben put a LOT of work into the new Elite years before the crowdfunding campaign started. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

edit: Star Citizen selling the ships separately and fostering a COLLECT EM ALL attitude really helped too. Space sim fans from the Wing Commander days tend to be older with significant disposable income. It was an vastly underserved market.

androvsky

I have doubt regarding sound. I know it's a game and all that, but shouldn't the universe be in silence?
My favorite explanation is that the ship's computer feeds canned audio to the pilot's helmet of events it detects (via external cameras or whatever) so the pilot can have better situational awareness.

Jeremy

I wanted to contribute to this game but never could decide what ship I'd want. I still haven't contributed but the screens are making me want to get way more serious.

Played around and found some bugs concerning swapping weapons and then having no ammo/functionality. I hope a major patch isnt that far off.
I also hope they let us play a Capital Ship mode in the future. Training for larger vessels. Capship to capship combat, with boarding and coop management, is going to be GOAT.

Screens are incredible but I can absolutely confirm that Elite's audio design runs circles around Star Citizen. I hope they step it up.

The game runs a lot better than the hangar module so that's nice to see. And it looks like the hangar also had a performance update!

One thing I'm surprised about: I expected the public release to be like CIG's DFM reveal in which the ship actually flew out of the hangar into the map. They put a lot of work into that reveal that didn't make it into the public release.

Agreed completely. Maybe they should poach the sound designer from Elite.
Hopefully people complain and they step-up big time.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game got the looks, but when it comes to sound design Elite Dangerous carpet bombs the shit out of it. Really wish this had the punchy sound design of that game.

Harpuea

I was part the of people who questioned the viability of HOTAS vs K/M for dogfighting in previous threads. It was because I went and got a Saitek X52 HOTAS in anticipation of Squadron 42 and Star Citizen release. Set it up on War Thunder and found myself totally gimped fighting against K/M users even in Real History Battles (Simulation mode). I know that War Thunder and Star Citizen are two different games, however their skill sets overlaps quite a bit.

In War Thunder, K/M have huge advantage because K/M have trainers built into the control scheme. K/M have an automatic turning/banking limiter that prevents you from stalling your aircraft. On the other hand, if you go HOTAS, there is no such computer limiter. This means you often stall your aircraft out and plummets out of the sky and need to recover from it manually. Even if you tune your joystick to max/min joystick sensitivity so you don't stall, it was impossible to keep it tune for every aircraft due to the needing to change aircraft often. Therefore, you just have to rely on sound and hear your airframe shake and rattle to know when you are near stalling. K/M users don't need to do such thing, they can just point the opposite direction and do a 180 and let the computer controls all rudder, aileron, elevators, all that for them at minimum turn radius.

Furthermore. K/M users can just use the mouse to point and shoot. Anywhere they point the mouse, the aircraft auto calculate all flight surfaces to meet that flight vector demand. As a result, K/M were very effectively at sniping you out of the sky from farther distances. Not to mention amazing twitch shooting ability the mouse allows you to do on a fly pass. HOTAS needs you to control yaw and roll separately to point the nose of the plane to where want to fire, twice as much effort to achieve the same goal.

The most advantageous thing K/M have over HOTAS is view hopping. K/M users always just fly in 3rd person for maximum awareness. If they requires finesse, they just hop into first person. With the mouse you can also pan the camera very quickly to look behind and under your aircraft whilst avoiding incoming fire at the same time. That is very difficult to do on HOTAS.

What was the advantage HOTAS has over K/M? I found that for complex maneuvers, HOTAS was the way to go. Such as purposely stalling to bleed speed faster than K/M since they can't stall on demand as easily as HOTAS. SC is in space and speed management will be a whole different game so I don't know how HOTAS will have an advantage.

I haven't got a chance to play Arena Commander yet, but from what I see, I predict Arena Commander will suffers the same fate when people find ways to max/min the game play. K/M looks to be the king despite some beginning awkwardness. Even now in this thread, you see people fly in third then view hop into first person to take shots at the Vandul Scavengers. Not to mention with the K/M control scheme, the spaceship is slaved to where ever you point and shoot. I have seen a video of one guy despite not knowing what he was doing, point and shoot the Vandul down with less effort compared to one guy who uses HOTAS. With mouse you just have to point and the auto aim engages for quite a big area on the screen. With HOTAS, you have to align the whole spaceship near the center reticule before auto aim kicks in. It's hard to beat point and shoot.

"The most advantageous thing K/M have over HOTAS is view hopping. K/M users always just fly in 3rd person for maximum awareness. If they requires finesse, they just hop into first person. With the mouse you can also pan the camera very quickly to look behind and under your aircraft whilst avoiding incoming fire at the same time. That is very difficult to do on HOTAS."

This is not as viable as you might think considering space is pretty much black and most of the ships aren't very lit. Ships well within scanner range are barely visible without HUD.

The big difference between Star Citizen (currently) and War Thunder is that Star Citizen doesn't currently have (what the SC forum dips call) "Follow-the-ball" controls. It's virtual joystick with a giant deadzone in the middle of the screen. As I mentioned earlier, most of the ships are currently set up with all gimballed (class-2/class-4) weapons even when ship specs state they should be Class-1 weapons. With the deadzone the way it is, you wouldn't actually be able to aim your class-2 weapons and your class-1 weapons at the same time on a moving target with a mouse. On the 300i in AC, what would normally be a Class-1 weapon (or what would be according to the ship specs page, which is subject to change) hits *significantly* harder than the (normally) class-2 weapon. Like, 3-4 shots to kill a Scythe vs...20-25+ for the other weapon. I can't actually kill a Scythe with the other weapon and it's not because i'm missing shots, it's because it does extremely low damage.

What you see people doing in their webm videos showing off the game's graphics is not indicative of what high level, effective play in Star Citizen will be. Stop reading into it.

The big issue with joystick controls right now is that they're extremely inconsistent and simple yaw inputs go all over the place. Someone on the forum described it as "squirrely" and that's a good word to use for it.

ASTROID2

Just watched the last Wingmans hangar episode.
Loved the very end where Eric said "Welcome to Wingmans Nuts." in the dream sequence.

Go to launcher settings, tick advanced options, and make sure max upload speed *isn't* set to unlimited or it could be completely saturating your bandwidth and killing your download speed.

friday

Kinda a meh experience so far. Too little and too early to really judge it though. I need a joystick though. Mouse and game pad controls just dont feel right.

Go to launcher settings, tick advanced options, and make sure max upload speed *isn't* set to unlimited or it could be completely saturating your bandwidth and killing your download speed.

Thanks for the good idea, but it didn't change anything. I wonder if they just have crappy servers or something.

Karak

Mother of god I am just more and more amazed at how it runs on my system. Even at 1440p. So fucking smooth. Flying around and just exploring in free flight REALLY nails the Freelancer feel but this will offer so much more later on. So stoked.

Xavien

Downloaded and started playing, but when i head from the hanger into arena commander (any mode) models start disappearing after about 20 seconds of play, and gets progressively worse till im left with a few asteroids and "parts" of my ship.

trying a repair right now hoping it will fix it, maybe driver related.

So I backed at a lower level and I have an Aurora. Let's say I decide to buy a 300i for $55. Does it actually make sense to do so? My (practically nonexistent) understanding of Insurance is that my original backer Aurora has Lifetime Insurance but a new ship purchased today would not, so one could potentially lose it for good? Does that mean it'd possibly be better to just wait until the final game (someday) and just buy ships with in-game currency the normal way instead of dropping extra money on something I could lose?

LordCanti

So I backed at a lower level and I have an Aurora. Let's say I decide to buy a 300i for $55. Does it actually make sense to do so? My (practically nonexistent) understanding of Insurance is that my original backer Aurora has Lifetime Insurance but a new ship purchased today would not, so one could potentially lose it for good? Does that mean it'd possibly be better to just wait until the final game (someday) and just buy ships with in-game currency the normal way instead of dropping extra money on something I could lose?

I just upgraded an Aurora LN to a 300i for $20 and kept the insurance and everything. It's under Store -> Pledge -> Cross Chassis Upgrade.

Someone else can correct me if I've made a horrible mistake and it had consequences. Seemed to work fine.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

You can use the cross-chassis upgrade option to keep your LTI but get a bigger ship: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/cross-chassis-upgrades

Doesn't look like there's any going back from a 300i to an Aurora, though, so make sure it's what you want.

The 300i is a pretty cool ship. I have both in my hangar but I haven't flown either of them yet, so I can't tell you which I'd choose based on flight and combat.

[edit] Beaten

This is a painfully stupid question, but how does one go about accessing Arena Commander? I haven't had any of the SC stuff installed on my PC since shortly after the hangar module launched since I didn't really see myself doing anything with it until the dogfighting module.

"This is a painfully stupid question, but how does one go about accessing Arena Commander? I haven't had any of the SC stuff installed on my PC since shortly after the hangar module launched since I didn't really see myself doing anything with it until the dogfighting module."

There's a pedestal in your hangar with a visor on it. Go to the pedestal, pick it up, then enter your ship. If you have a 300-series ship you will have a white 300i, go to that one instead of your normal one. When you sit in the cockpit, the arena commander menu will pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom