• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish you could test flight the other ships, they all seem so expensive.

I'm probably going to do the cross chassis upgrade instead but I'm not sure which ship to go for at the moment. Is it even worth ditching my Aurora MX? It seems like a pretty large ship.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I want to get into this but haven't pledged yet. If I go with this ship do I get a loaner in the hangar to fly since it isn't mentioned in the FAQ.

Yep, you'll get an Arena Commander edition of the 300i alongside the Avenger, until the Avenger is flyable (probably in the next update ... who knows when that'll be, though).

"This is a painfully stupid question, but how does one go about accessing Arena Commander? I haven't had any of the SC stuff installed on my PC since shortly after the hangar module launched since I didn't really see myself doing anything with it until the dogfighting module."

There's a pedestal in your hangar with a visor on it. Go to the pedestal, pick it up, then enter your ship. If you have a 300-series ship you will have a white 300i, go to that one instead of your normal one. When you sit in the cockpit, the arena commander menu will pop up.

Thanks!

MrBig

I want to get into this but haven't pledged yet. If I go with this ship do I get a loaner in the hangar to fly since it isn't mentioned in the FAQ.

You can't just buy that, you have to buy a package that includes the game. For the Avenger that's this package: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/332-avenger

Single ships are for people who want to buy additional ships.

If you're new to Star Citizen I'd recommend just getting the Aurora MR+ (and the Arena Commander pass). If you end up wanting to donate more money you can always change ships later.

Mindlog

Yep, you'll get an Arena Commander edition of the 300i alongside the Avenger, until the Avenger is flyable (probably in the next update ... who knows when that'll be, though).
Is that how it works? I haven't been paying attention. Patiently waiting for the other pieces before playing the game.

That's just the ship. It doesn't have the game.
The Avenger Package is $75 and Arena Access another $5.

Mr. Big :]

Grief.exe

You would think they would be motivated to allow everyone to fly whatever ship they wished. Many will likely 'upgrade' upon finding a more expensive ship.

LordCanti

You would think they would be motivated to allow everyone to fly whatever ship they wished. Many will likely 'upgrade' upon finding a more expensive ship.

If I could have just flown a 300i for free, I never would have bought the upgrade from the Aurora.

Grief.exe

If I could have just flown a 300i for free, I never would have bought the upgrade from the Aurora.

I don't think you see the big picture.

These ships are not attached to your account and last a finite amount of time. This could potentially be the best advertising device for picking up better ships for future modules and the persistent universe.

Think of the Dogfighting module as a test drive.

Tommyhawk

I was trying to land my hornet and be all cool like this, but I think I did something wrong:
http://a.pomf.se/gwaooq.webm

and then my landing gear started freaking out:
http://a.pomf.se/gtdnas.webm

That's a known issue.

Landing gear will not deploy correctly when attempting to land on landing platform

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13909-Arena-Commander-Launched

I strongly agree on this.
But there will be at least testing phases where everyone will get a certain ship to test and improve the balancing.

I've only had the chance to fly a souped up hornet from my stella package but from what I hear the 300i is the best of the bunch so far, I wonder if we can "downgrade" our loaners later on

I'm this > < close to upgrading my Aurora LX to a 300i, the 300is are just so damn sexy. But I don't want to lose my LX, it has some charm! (and I don't want to buy a 300i straight up). Ahhhh decisions decisions.

Murtrod

So, I set my SLI settings to Single GPU in Control Panel, boot up Star Citizen, and my drivers experience a fatal error and crashed. Had to reinstall all of my drivers over again, as they would not recover or even initiate after that (yes, I rebooted my computer after the crash and my drivers still failed to start).

*sigh* This has been a frustrating release.

LordCanti

Edit: Fixed with reboot somehow.

The 300i is a beautiful machine, but my GTX 580 cannot handle high/1080p at all. I figured that would be the case, so luckily I'm planning to upgrade before Oculus Rift CV1/the full DFM rollout anyway.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
So, I set my SLI settings to Single GPU in Control Panel, boot up Star Citizen, and my drivers experience a fatal error and crashed. Had to reinstall all of my drivers over again, as they would not recover or even initiate after that (yes, I rebooted my computer after the crash and my drivers still failed to start).

*sigh* This has been a frustrating release.

its a pre-alpha. Some of these things you might want to report. You're doing a tester's work.

AxeMan

Thanks for the tips from those about uninstalling and re-installing the module to get past the metafile error.

I should have thought of that

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the tips from those about uninstalling and re-installing the module to get past the metafile error.

I should have thought of that
I've gotten a few gigabytes into the reinstall only to realize I should have installed to an alternate drive. Is there anyway to move, or move + repair? Or am I stuck with it in my Documents folder unless I do a full reinstall?

(I might also be able to do some sort of symbolic link shenanigans but I'd prefer to avoid that)

AxeMan

I've gotten a few gigabytes into the reinstall only to realize I should have installed to an alternate drive. Is there anyway to move, or move + repair? Or am I stuck with it in my Documents folder unless I do a full reinstall?

(I might also be able to do some sort of symbolic link shenanigans but I'd prefer to avoid that)

Not sure you can change it later other than muck around with the registry and you probably don't want to do that.

I agree that it is stupid that the default location is the Documents directory. Whoever created that installer needs to fix that

Hastati

The amount of jerking and overshooting that happens is frustrating to say the least.

Is this normal for flight sims? I am brand new to joysticks and pretty new to flight sims, and my hand was covered in sweat from constantly trying to compensate for overshooting and from very tiny, jerking adjustments to prevent my ship from completely missing the mark. I'm guessing it just takes lots of practice?

Lumicide

Banned
I think the next patch removes all sound effects but the pilot's breathing. Realism!

in-universe explanation: Sound effects are simulated by your ship to assist with situational awareness
You can hear your engines inside of a spacecraft, in fact, anything that causes your ship to vibrate can be heard in space from inside, so long as the cabin is pressurized.

Daedardus

You can hear your engines inside of a spacecraft, in fact, anything that causes your ship to vibrate can be heard in space from inside, so long as the cabin is pressurized.

You would think that in the 30th century they know how to make non-vibrating engines.

Is this normal for flight sims? I am brand new to joysticks and pretty new to flight sims, and my hand was covered in sweat from constantly trying to compensate for overshooting and from very tiny, jerking adjustments to prevent my ship from completely missing the mark. I'm guessing it just takes lots of practice?

I imagine it has a bit to do with the positioning of the joystick. Whether you're using one joystick or two factors in as well. Placing it/them almost level with your thighs (when seated) should be more comfortable and easier to control.

No, actually, it's an issue that's been posted about both by me in this thread and brought up on the official forums. The amount of jerking is *not* normal for space sim games or Flight sticks.

Hastati

I imagine it has a bit to do with the positioning of the joystick. Whether you're using one joystick or two factors in as well. Placing it/them almost level with your thighs (when seated) should be more comfortable and easier to control.

No, actually, it's an issue that's been posted about both by me in this thread and brought up on the official forums. The amount of jerking is *not* normal for space sim games or Flight sticks.

Both of these things are good to know. I was beginning to worry that the jerking would carpal tunnel-ify my right hand. So joysticks (using a hotas setup) are supposed to be relatively low in relation to your body?

Hopefully some of the jerkiness will be smoothed out soon, because the gameplay seems to be pretty fun otherwise. I also agree, however, with what others are saying about the sound quality not really being up to par quite yet, definitely doesn't match up to the visuals.

fresquito

The thing I've read (I'm not an expert) is that vibrations need a medium to travel through, and there's no such a medium in space, thus there's no sound. You wouldn't hear vibrations because vibrations wouldn't travel through space. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Does everybody except me have a 300i? I only have two Auroras. I don't know what's the second for :-/

Arulan

The thing I've read (I'm not an expert) is that vibrations need a medium to travel through, and there's no such a medium in space, thus there's no sound. You wouldn't hear vibrations because vibrations wouldn't travel through space. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Does everybody except me have a 300i? I only have two Auroras. I don't know what's the second for :-/

The medium being the ship's structure and the air inside. Therefore you could hear things that are within this closed system or come into contact with.

fresquito

The medium being the ship's structure and the air inside. Therefore you could hear things that are within this closed system or come into contact with.
But if the vibration is generated away from the ship, how does it travel to the ship?

Arulan

But if the vibration is generated away from the ship, how does it travel to the ship?

It doesn't. I thought we were talking about ship engines. Unless it comes into direct contact, like an astronaut touching helmets so that the sound is transferred to the other "closed system".

fresquito

It doesn't. I thought we were talking about ship engines. Unless it comes into direct contact, like an astronaut touching helmets so that the sound is transferred to the other "closed system".
My original post was about how you can hear the big machine in Broken Moon. I realised how heavy the sound is once I landed in the platform and took a walk

Daedardus

My original post was about how you can hear the big machine in Broken Moon. I realised how heavy the sound is once I landed in the platform and took a walk

Well, the machine is clearly sending out some sort of energy medium and bits of that can touch your ship's hull. And when you land you make physical contact so the sound vibrates throughout the hull.

Arulan

Ah, I didn't see your initial post then. In that case, you shouldn't be able to hear it from empty space. If you're physically on it however, you would. I don't believe Chris Roberts is going for "realistic" space audio though, but it would be nice if there was an option to toggle it.

On another subject, when you destroy an asteroid into smaller pieces, do the smaller pieces act as physics objects? I've tried to come into contact with the created debris but it doesn't appear to interact with the ship at all.

epmode

That ship sailed when CIG opened that awful store that sells overpriced weapons and equipment instead of allowing everyone to mix and match for the alpha and beta. Money's more important than robust testing.

I'm concerned about the final game. CIG has obviously realized that their fanbase loves spending lots of money on internet spaceships. They may decide to target the game to the whales instead of people who may not be ready to spend sixteen goddamned dollars on a space laser.

onken

Downloading now but pretty damn slow. Any recommended connection settings or ports to forward to speed this up a bit?

Dead Man

Ah, I didn't see your initial post then. In that case, you shouldn't be able to hear it from empty space. If you're physically on it however, you would. I don't believe Chris Roberts is going for "realistic" space audio though, but it would be nice if there was an option to toggle it.

On another subject, when you destroy an asteroid into smaller pieces, do the smaller pieces act as physics objects? I've tried to come into contact with the created debris but it doesn't appear to interact with the ship at all.

That would be a bit disappointing,

I'm this > < close to upgrading my Aurora LX to a 300i, the 300is are just so damn sexy. But I don't want to lose my LX, it has some charm! (and I don't want to buy a 300i straight up). Ahhhh decisions decisions.

Is there a way to upgrade from the Aurora to the 300i without having to spend the full amount on it?

ASTROID2

I'm having fun proving people wrong on the RSI forums. This guy said the hud didn't have certain stuff on the hud and that one item was useless but I'm proving them wrong. people need to read the manual.

I don't think you see the big picture.

These ships are not attached to your account and last a finite amount of time. This could potentially be the best advertising device for picking up better ships for future modules and the persistent universe.

Think of the Dogfighting module as a test drive.

Wait, you can lose your ships?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom