• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront gameplay

ultron87

I really appreciate the Thermal Detonators explosions not just looking like grenade explosions and having an exact blast radius. I am such a nerd for this, lol.

What animations were reused exactly? All of the assets were definitely new. And i've been playing BF4 almost daily for the past few months. And I could not spot a single animation from BF4. I literally said out loud. "I love all these new animations."

the standard running animation is right from bf4

Rolfgang

But with no classes, how will we get those other weapons? Are they gonna use old school pick-ups or maybe based on your score (how in BF2 the Heroes worked)?

cripterion

How many players will this game support? More than BF4? Do they have bots in multi? Cause it looked like it had more than 32 vs 32.

And damn they really nailed the Star Wars sound effects!

Not sold on the game yet, but my god, that sound design. Holy shit, the thermal detonators sound amazing, as do just your regular blaster. I mean, it's DICE--I'm not shocked...but still. Far too many Star Wars games have lasers that sound too tinny--I like the bass they are using here.

cripterion

It's less than BF. 40 players are supported.

Ehhh?! So all the scrubs getting killed in the footage are bots or players? That seems like a low number for Star Wars battle feel. I mean you got infantry, walkers, x-wings and all... + heroes on the battlefield.

WarpathDC

In a conference with TLG, FF7 remake, and Shenmue 3, I can't believe I'm saying that this gameplay trailer was the highlight of the show for me. Hot DAMN did that look amazing.

Ehhh?! So all the scrubs getting killed in the footage are bots or players? That seems like a low number for Star Wars battle feel. I mean you got infantry, walkers, x-wings and all... + heroes on the battlefield.

All depends on map design.

For instance check BC1/2

Raysod

Banned
It looks that DICE did a great job in recreating the feel of Star Wars battles in the game.

I loved what we have seen in gameplay trailers – graphics look amazing – and i liked a lot the different aspects of the battle, but I will wait to see how the final version of the game plays (especially the net code) before I decide on a purchase.

I wasn't sold on the AT-AT's being "on rails." But I am fine with it now. I don't like how Battlefield fights feel so big, and it is sometimes hard to find people. The AT-AT's should be a strategic point, kinda've like Payload in TF2, that everyone will gather around. I am hoping for good things from this.

This "AT-AT vs cable"-thing is getting so boring now.

It was cool in 1980 when i saw it in the cinema, but it's been in so many games and other media since then...

I'm not totally sold on the gameplay, but this was definitely one of if not the best looking game shown today.

Eh, maybe it's because they showed a snow level, but the visuals didn't blow me away. I mean there's only so much you can do with that setting.

The sound, on the other hand, was on point.

I think I was impressed by Horizon the most, visually (love the art in that game). Or Ghost Recon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is the deal with switching between first and third person? Is it automatic? Do you chose on the fly?

What an absolutely bizarre option to have in an online shooter. Wouldn't 3rd person be the most advantageous in all scenarios?

The Cowboy

Dice's sound design is just out of this world.

This game will sound so good with a nice set of headphones.

I'm more interest in hearing the X-wings/Tie fighters/various laser sounds etc going around my head with a full 5.1 surround sound system (or 7.1 if i have it by release) - this is going to sound fantastic with proper surround sound.

greenegt

I'll wait and see on this one. It looks and sounds fantastic, but I can see the Star Wars novelty wearing off for me after a week or so.

Theorry

People dont need to forget that its still a MP game. It looks great imo and its MP with 40 people and it still looks better then Halo SP imo.

dancmc

looking forward to this very much...looks great....am a sucker for SW....can't wait to blast some friends with the AT-AT

diegotristanUK

Neo Member
Any ideas as to the yellow/red bar at the bottom of the screen during TIE fighter piloting? It seems to be full yellow at some point and then goes half red, half yellow. One end of the bar has a cross hair and the other has two up facing arrows.

eshwaaz

I really appreciate the Thermal Detonators explosions not just looking like grenade explosions and having an exact blast radius. I am such a nerd for this, lol.
Totally with you. I'm so pleased that the explosions, smoke and sparks all look like they do in the original films. I was afraid they'd just reuse effects straight from Battlefield. Well done, DICE.

Not sold on the game yet, but my god, that sound design. Holy shit, the thermal detonators sound amazing, as do just your regular blaster. I mean, it's DICE--I'm not shocked...but still. Far too many Star Wars games have lasers that sound too tinny--I like the bass they are using here.
Was that the loud implosion grenade thing? Because that sounded absolutely amazing.

a916

Black Ops 3 videos have been going up everywhere, I guess we gotta wait until these guys get back from the show floor and upload their videos.

Orcus

Any ideas as to the yellow/red bar at the bottom of the screen during TIE fighter piloting? It seems to be full yellow at some point and then goes half red, half yellow. One end of the bar has a cross hair and the other has two up facing arrows.
I'm guessing that is your cannon power/cool down. In other ships you see two bars, I assume the other bar is deflector power or a secondary weapon.

a916

I just assumed the yellow was representing the health of the Tie Fighter whereas the red is the your health.

Skux

This HUD is atrocious though lol

w5VkFoa.jpg

That lifebar and those icons at the bottom right... is this Demon's Souls?

Listening to LevelCap now--sounds like the UI, or at least the UI concept, is pretty final. DICE talked about loadouts as a "hand", like a hand of cards, which is why the icons look like cards. You have complete freedom to choose what you want in a loadout, it sounds like (he used the example of two grenades + one primary).

Vehicle battle pickup lets you get into ships and ground vehicles (he doesn't say this is the ONLY way). You have to activate it, where you're vulnerable for a few seconds as you "call in" the vehicle, then you basically "spawn into" the vehicle. As far as he could tell, you can't hop out of the vehicle--you stay in it until you're dead. Again, he emphasizes that he doesn't know if this is the only way you can interact with vehicles, but this is how battle pickups for vehicles work.

Vehicles do not recharge health on their own (thank god). DICE is thinking about repair battle pickups.

Maneuverability of vehicles is very arcadey (disappointingly so), but DICE said they're far from done tweaking the vehicle flight model.

Wah-wah: You can harpoon w/tow cable only after the AT-AT's defenses are downed by Y-Wings. Unfortunately, after you launch the tow cable, you basically enter a mini-game where your speeder flies around the AT-AT automatically and you just have to keep an icon "balanced" in the middle of that gauge at the middle of the screen. DICE said they want to keep the game accessible :-|

TTK is longer than BF4, but not much longer.

AT-ATs, in Walker Assault, are a constant threat and always looming, even if players aren't in them. AI takes over and will shoot at enemies.

Frequency and type of battle pickups change as the battle progresses across the map: some may be vehicle focused, some are infantry focused.

"Buddy" system much like MOH games--no squad system. Can always spawn on your buddy.

He said he had a lot of fun overall, but I'm still on the fence. I don't like some of these accessibility compromises they're making. Level said he's worried that the skill ceiling will be very low.

Listening to LevelCap now--sounds like the UI, or at least the UI concept, is pretty final. DICE talked about loadouts as a "hand", like a hand of cards, which is why the icons look like cards. You have complete freedom to choose what you want in a loadout, it sounds like (he used the example of two grenades + one primary).

Vehicle battle pickup lets you get into ships and ground vehicles (he doesn't say this is the ONLY way). You have to activate it, where you're vulnerable for a few seconds as you "call in" the vehicle, then you basically "spawn into" the vehicle. As far as he could tell, you can't hop out of the vehicle--you stay in it until you're dead. Again, he emphasizes that he doesn't know if this is the only way you can interact with vehicles, but this is how battle pickups for vehicles work.

Vehicles do not recharge health on their own (thank god). DICE is thinking about repair battle pickups.

Maneuverability of vehicles is very arcadey (disappointingly so), but DICE said they're far from done tweaking the vehicle flight model.

Wah-wah: You can harpoon w/tow cable only after the AT-AT's defenses are downed by Y-Wings. Unfortunately, after you launch the tow cable, you basically enter a mini-game where your speeder flies around the AT-AT automatically and you just have to keep an icon "balanced" in the middle of that gauge at the middle of the screen. DICE said they want to keep the game accessible :-|

TTK is longer than BF4, but not much longer.

AT-ATs, in Walker Assault, are a constant threat and always looming, even if players aren't in them. AI takes over and will shoot at enemies.

Frequency and type of battle pickups change as the battle progresses across the map: some may be vehicle focused, some are infantry focused.

"Buddy" system much like MOH games--no squad system. Can always spawn on your buddy.

He said he had a lot of fun overall, but I'm still on the fence. I don't like some of these accessibility compromises they're making. Level said he's worried that the skill ceiling will be very low.

Although i agree with being leery about the "compromises" i also totally get why'd they go in that direction. This can potentially be their biggest game ever at Dice. They want it to be as accessible as possible.

Top Bottom