• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

Aren't the clones supposed to have the physical appareance of Jango Fett? Are they gonna give an explanation (or was it given in previous movies) for him being another person now or JJ Abrams doesn't give a shit about continuity and coherence?

Maybe that's not a clone but he looked like one.

The original trilogy never claimed that stormtroopers were all clones.
Leia called Luke a bit short for being a Stormtrooper.

why should the sequels build on some of the shitty ideas of the prequels for continuity's sake.

Also, they could have gone to conscripts instead of clone troopers because after having turned it from a galactic republic to a totalitarian Empire, conscripting young male adults must've been cheaper.

Monocle

The shots of the X-Wings and the Millenium Falcon looked damn right. I welcome the return of the original trilogy's aesthetic. I cannot wait to see how many awesome fanservice shots are in this movie.

What's up with the broadsword lightsaber though? I mean what kind of suicidal idiot would use miniature lightsaber blades as a guard for a regular sized blade? It's visually interesting for like two seconds, and then you question how it's remotely practical in combat. I hope the design makes sense later. Maybe the guard thing can change its configuration or something. It could fire lasers, lol.

ypo

Lost all of the Star Wars aesthetic. Now it's just grey, muted colors, shaky cam generic sci-fi film #3103.

People complaining about how the new lightsaber is 'over the top' need to really think about how bad it could have been. This seems pretty mild to me.

Majine

Banned
UkXlt8m.gif

The thirst is real.

Moff

Claymore saber makes sense, for blocking cuts along the blade. The crosshilt withstanding a hit, with it being made of Mandalorian Iron (I'm just saying it could be).

Hype!

it would make sense if the crosshilt was pure laser, but with hilt, it makes no sense.

unlike mauls lightsaber, this is purely cosmetical and honestly, putting it in the teaser, obviously trying to recreat the huge WHOA the double lightsaber created, is a bit pathetic.

I feel so late to the party but dem X-wings over water man. I can't believe it took this long for the starfighters to be used in atmosphere.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The planet where the X-Wings are flying over could be Naboo. It would make sense for Luke and co to have some connections there considering the Skywalker ties to naboo royal family.

FYI, crossblade/crossguard lightsabers have been around for 10 years now
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber
An extremely rare variant only seen in the hands of skilled duelists, crossguard lightsabers, also known as forked lightsabers, featured a specialized hilt which emitted two blades. One blade was the standard lightsaber blade, but the second was a significantly shorter and thinner blade projected by a secondary emitter next to the main at an angle. The secondary blade was used as a guard to protect the hand, and on occasion to catch attacks between it and the main blade

"That is the most ridiculous looking lightsaber I've ever seen. Isn't the whole point of a handguard to protect your hands? Looks like a real lightsaber could just cut those things right off and then whoever cut them off could say "There, now you have a real lightsaber".

Not excited in the least and this looks like a poorly made fan film at best."

Those youtube comments lol

I think it looks fantastic! Can't wait for a full trailer.

That's amazing lol. Really shows how people are quick to call something tacky or dumb the moment they see something slightly different.

Abrams could've released anything for a teaser and people would still complain. Look at this thread, lol.

Nah. I like Abrams just fine, still hyped as fuck for this, it was a pretty "meh" teaser for me. Like I said above, it pretty much had three money shots: new lightsaber which some aren't digging, seeing the Millennium Falcon again, and hearing John Williams music again. Not much to really get my hype train going.

It's a god damn teaser. It's possible he realized he's not alone.

It's not that it's possible he realized he's not alone, it's that obviously he realized he's not alone.

mattp

theory:
broadsword saber looks and sounds different from classic ones because it's kind of hobbled together by someone less skilled than a jedi
and the beams coming out the sides of the hilt are sort of like "exhaust" ports on the sides of the saber to keep the handle from blowing up, since it's not built like a real proper light saber

Linius

After this one I'll be on media black out. I'll see it once it hits the theaters.
In more than a year... :O

Sooo the falcon and x-wings are super old now... 30 years later. Will they get some enhancements??

X-Wings do look different with the split engines and changed the front nose a little. The Falcon also seems to have a little blue on it with a new satellite dish.

EDIT: nvm Falcon still has the strips of red.

RS4-

So what happened with the Storm Troopers?

They ran out of Australasian bounty hunter clone DNA so just hired some black dudes?

Nice

Recruited/drafted, etc. Either the clones died out or the cloning facilities were never made again. Someone with better Star Wars knowledge will clear that up for you. I've only been keeping up with it on and off over the years.

Nev

Banned
So the "clones" from the original trilogy aren't the clones created in Episode II? Damn I'm a Star Wars noob, I thought they were the same thing.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Can't help but feel like anyone who loves Star Wars and wasn't hyped as hell from this is just lost.

Nah. I like Abrams just fine, still hyped as fuck for this, it was a pretty "meh" teaser for me. Like I said above, it pretty much had three money shots: new lightsaber which some aren't digging, seeing the Millennium Falcon again, and hearing John Williams music again. Not much to really get my hype train going.

It's not that it's possible he realized he's not alone, it's that obviously he realized he's not alone.

Well I was trying to be nice.

A lot of the complaining in this thread is just ridiculous to me and getting me angry at GAF. "IS HE A FUCKING LUMBERJACK?!?!". And it wasn't just one post. So many complaints that if you think about them for more than one second wouldn't be complaints.

Claymore saber makes sense, for blocking cuts along the blade. The crosshilt withstanding a hit, with it being made of Mandalorian Iron (I'm just saying it could be).

Hype!

Yup. It actually makes a lot of sense. There is a reason some swords have them.

Charcoal

I guess people forget what a hilt is for...and that a lightsaber can't pass through another lightsaber.

Some people's kids, SMH.

RedShift

After the amount of people who've had their hands chopped off in Star Wars is the idea of having a cross guard really that crazy?

Sou Da

So the "clones" from the original trilogy aren't the clones created in Episode II? Damn I'm a Star Wars noob, I thought they were the same thing.

Most of them weren't clones at all, and why would you think those same clones would still be around 30 years later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom