• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Welp, that new lightsaber exists solely so that the Sith can block an attack from two Jedis at once.

I hate how every villain now needs his own unique version of a light saber. Light saber-whip in Ep VIII I bet.

daveo42

Banned
Here is some..
Luke is a crazy old hermit now who went into hiding not long after Return of the Jedi, he isn't on screen till the last act of the movie.
The Empire is still a major presence in the galaxy
Bad guy is obsessed with the Sith, collects sith artifacts
The movie focuses on Daisy Ridley and John Boyega's character
Han Solo no longer owns the Millenium Falcon, Oscar Isaac does

That's one hell of a long ass war they got going there if these details are spot on. Also, wonder if Luke still had struggles with the dark side after the end of Jedi and was the main reason why he went into hiding.

Well, the effects look fucking great, which is what I was mainly interested in from this trailer. Didn't expect to see much as far as plot or anything. Curious to see the resigning behind the new lightsaber type, but man, consider me hyped!

I want a hi-res still of that X-Wing shot.

I feel weird that I'm not "Star Wars hyped" for this. Like, yeah sure, looking good, see you next December. Although if the next trailer used "Battle for Endor I" I'd probably piss myself.

I definitely have to finish Clone Wars though.

Vestal

Gold Member
Just watched it with a few co-workers. As soon as the Williams score hit with the title theme and the falcon swooped in we all lost our shit.

SO FUCKING GOOD!

GavinUK86

I have no issue with the new ultra-saber design. Lightsabers are impractical to begin with since all you'd need to do is slide the blade down their blade and crisp their fingers.

Also I laughed at this:

7PxYKaa.png

lol that guy gets it

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Like someone said earlier, i hope they keep this shit in the EU. Don't explain anything.
Darth maul had a weird looking lightsaber, nobody gave a shit. And that was the best part of the prequels, somehow.

Yeah I mean honestly, the more impractical the weapon the more aluring it is, because it lets you realize that these warriors can safely use weapons that we deem impractical or dangerous.

So honestly fuck it. No reasons necessary.

Hating on the crossguard saber is pretty petty.

Mahonay

Banned
Those that are really bothered by the lightsaber looking different, stop and listen to yourselves for a second.

This movie will probably be a good bit better than the prequels. We have a chance at s a legitimately good Star Wars movie. That's enough for me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Dark Empire doesn't even exist considering what they said about the canon.

Episode VII executive producer Kathleen Kennedy explained that in order to give their upcoming films some freedom, they would not be following the future presented in the novels – thereby rendering the Expanded Universe non-canonical – fans were understandably upset.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-extended-universe-explained/

That's just a studio wanting to call the shots.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Most weapons of choice don't have cross guards that can kill you.

umm.. if the weapon couldn't kill you (accidentally or otherwise) it wouldn't be much of a weapon.

your thread is running out.

weapons are dangerous. It is WHY they are weapons. You learn to use the weapon, it is now (hopefully) not dangerous to you while you use it.

I mean seriously, you stand a better chance of actually killing/maiming yourself with the sword blade than you do with the hilt.

Look up on weapon training sometime instead of making yourself look silly.

Woah there on actual swords the guard is blunt and designed to protect you unlike the actual blade. This lightsabre design is the equivilent of making the guard razor sharp on your side which makes a lot less sense than the real thing.

not at all 100% true. There are plenty of historical crossguard designs with actual blades instead of just hand guards. As such, almost ALL claymore designs are two handed use.. there is literally no way for you to impale yourself with the traditional cross guard as the sword is essentially extended from both arms.

AdanVC

Akira Toriyama must be REALLY hyped with this trailer as well. He is a huge Star Wars fans, most of their vehicle designs are based on vehicles from SW and stuff <3

JDMC13

Despite the... uhh... questionable... lightsaber design, I got a Revan kinda vibe from that guy.

This pleases me greatly.

Sorcerer

Maybe that new saber is the Swiss Army Knife of Lightsabers.

Like say that dude needed to chop some wood, (I don't see an enemy there) or open a can of beans.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I have no issue with the new ultra-saber design. Lightsabers are impractical to begin with since all you'd need to do is slide the blade down their blade and crisp their fingers.

Also I laughed at this:

7PxYKaa.png

A thousands times this.

The lightsaber is possibly the most impractical weapon ever designed in cinema history.

Still fucking awesome though.

Can I still think that it looks really dumb and laught at it?

Only if your acknowledge that the entire lightsaber as a concept is dumb.

Stet

Banned
umm.. if the weapon couldn't kill you (accidentally or otherwise) it wouldn't be much of a weapon.

your thread is running out.

weapons are dangerous. It is WHY they are weapons. You learn to use the weapon, it is now (hopefully) not dangerous to you while you use it.

I mean seriously, you stand a better chance of actually killing/maiming yourself with the sword blade than you do with the hilt.

Look up on weapon training sometime instead of making yourself look silly.

In this case the weapon wouldn't be killing you, the safety feature would be.

The falcon taking the sharp turn and banking at the speed, Han Solo would of past out from the G-force and crashed it instantly....

Am I doing it right?

I have zero complaints

The cross saber is a distinguished rig for the villain just like mauls two sided one

This movie is gonna be based as hell

Salsa

when were lightsabers not incredibly dumb and unpractical with the only redeemable quality being that they looked futuristic and dope

so if luke shows up with a silly straw saber, you ain't gonna think it's dumb?

What? I don't live in a world of what if's we are talking about the cross saber from the trailer.

Like someone else already said, guaranteed he blocks to sabers at once with it. Luke and whoever his apprentice is.

Fliesen

to everyone going all "herp derp lol i'd just cut off your cross guard with my lightsaber"

what if it's not 2 additional little mini blades but the blade is emitted from a single crystal, splitting into the hilt parts on demand. ... if you cut into the hilt then, you might not be able to cut through the guard, but possibly just break it's ability to deactivate the crossguard

sorry for the badly iPad-drawn illustration

Tesseract

Banned
The falcon taking the sharp turn and banking at the speed, Han Solo would of past out from the G-force and crashed it instantly....

Am I doing it right?

c'mon tars !

kommon tarshz !
What? I don't live in a world of what if's we are talking about the cross saber from the trailer.

Like someone else already said, guaranteed he blocks to sabers at once with it. Luke and whoever his apprentice is.

just smashing yer ballz mate

I fear the damage that the prequels dealt to my fandom has made me numb. Sure it's the Millenium Falcon and X-Wings and all the familiar sounds.... but I don't trust that anymore, wait and see!

Cheebo

Banned
so we dont know anything about the new cast, only the old ones?

We know a lot more now. This teaser backs up everything MakingStarWars has been saying. They even had a dead on description of the trailer shot by shot weeks ago. Some about their characters:
Boyega is a ex-Stormtrooper who is shot down and abandons the Empire. He is rescued by Daisy Ridley. Ridley, Boyega, and Ridley's little circle droid find a lightsaber in the desert. It is Luke's. They decided to go track down whose saber it is and head out on their adventure.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The Dark Empire doesn't even exist considering what they said about the canon.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-extended-universe-explained/

That's just a studio wanting to call the shots.
If I was put in charge of making a new Star Wars movie, I wouldn't want to be tied down to dozens of novels written by different people that pigeon hole what you can and can't do with the movie.

The movies stand on their own. It's better this way. Less than 1% of Star Wars fans even know the books exist, let alone have read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom