• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That is the most stupid lightsaber I have ever seen.

WHY DO YOU NEED A FLAMING HILT ON A LIGHTSABER.

At what point is that ever going to be useful.

Also what is the dude even doing. He staggers through a wintery forest, goes "Oh shit, trees, I muthafukkin hate these things" and whips out his lightsaber to chop them down.

New Sith is a lumberjack.

Protects your sword hand by blocking an incoming attack

When is this set?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So, let me get this straight:

you're ok with space ships, light-speed traveling, highly intelligent droids, the force, the dark side, a fucking death star, han understanding chewie's language, luke and leia being twins and looking nothing alike, jedi ghosts giving advice and a lot of shit like that...

but that slightly different lightsaber is stupid.

SupaNaab

Please forgive my knowledge of Star Wars.

Given how unstable the lightsaber looks could it just be a sort of pressure release to ensure stability (notice how it emerges after the main portion)?

Wabba

I am hyped! Didn't like the idea about making new Star Wars movies, but the trailer looked great and it can be interesting to see where they take it further. Only thing that was a little strange was the lightsaber, what was that, makes no sense what so ever. Do you want to cut over your hands, because thats how you do it!

I've seen the movies dozens of times and have played most of the games and I loved this.

Actually, I think many people are bothered because it destroys the EU. I never liked the non-game EU and I've never read any of the EU books except for the Thrawne Trilogy.

daveo42

Banned
Like the trailer, but thought that the new light saber doesn't look that great, even if the change probably means a return to more methodical light saber battles and not just all the flash and gusto of the prequels. Liked the nostalgia hype with X-Wings and the Falcon so far.

I think there's a good chance that this film will be good, but we've yet to see how much JJ leaks over into Star Wars. The lack of lens flares so far has been good at least.

Apart from the Avatar sequels, this is the only real challenge to Avatar's B.O crown that I can see.

Still don't think it will get there. But it's the only one I can see possibly coming close.

The sword is a little fan fictiony and more in the vein of the prequels, but I can cope with that. The only thing I thought was actually bad is the falcon shot. The falcon is easily the least natural looking thing of the teaser and the shot in general feels too much like Abrams rather than Star Wars.

I can't think of a single, solid reason for that lightsaber design. It's unnecessary as a cross-guard. I'll just hope there's a good reason for it other than, "Let's show them a lightsaber they've never seen before!"

It seems to have a pretty solid reason. Why do regular swords also have hand guards on the hilt? So another blade can't slide down and hit the hand.

Hilt_sword_Palace_Armoury_Valletta.jpg

A_Gorilla

Banned
It took "over a thousand generations" but finally a lightsaber has a FUCKING CROSSGUARD. I've been bitching about that ever since I actually learned a thing or two about sword design (something Lucas never bothered with it seems).

Loved the trailer btw.

shuri

Banned
Gaffers pls.

Jedis are space monks who walk around in robes and believe in a system where emotions and such can lead to the dark side. They are all about the humble, simple lifestyle.

Siths are all about the excess (super stylish uniforms, cool looking spaceships), the power (the empire is huge and at the top, the most powerful sith couple ever, who use fear, threats and killing their own troops if they have to do get shit done), having the biggest weapons (The Death Star) and embrace anger and such.

I'm pretty sure a Sith weapon would be flashy as shit, trying to look sinistar and over the top, to scare and look cool. The new lightsaber shown fits the philosophy. The siths in Episodes 1-3 had flashier lightsabers than Jedis too. Dart Maul's weapon, General Sidious was a cyborg with 4 lightsabers swishing around, Dooku had a pimp-ass looking saber too, people forget that

CountDooku.jpg

The claymore saber is the kind of stuff a Sith would use. Just to look cool.

edit: Vader had a chrome black and white saber:

Lightsaber_vader.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Eh. It just sort of felt like a really high budget fan-film teaser.

I guess thats what all these follow ups are always going to be doomed to feel like though. They're trying so hard to remind you they're Star Wars without it feeling confident in its own identity.

Sallokin

I like the idea of the cross-saber having the side stuff more as a type of exhaust because it's unstable, rather than serving as a form of protection.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If you think about it, the normal light saber design is the really stupid one. All the lightsaber battles would have ended with a little pile of fingers on the floor.

didnt like the voice of the sith, was that clumsypatch? if so he can do better.

also didnt like the movement of the sith, looks like an android.

and didnt like the look of lightsaber.

so long story short, didnt like the sithlord or whoever...

Monocle

So, let me get this straight:

you're ok with space ships, light-speed traveling, highly intelligent droids, the force, the dark side, a fucking death star, han understanding chewie's language, luke and leia being twins and looking nothing alike, jedi ghosts giving advice and a lot of shit like that...

but that slightly different lightsaber is stupid.
Who knew a weird variation of the most recognizable object in Star Wars would attract notice?

we had the same positive reactiins when the phantom menace trailers came out.

The trailer does look good though.
Could this be the 2nd good Starwars in history?

Apart from the Avatar sequels, this is the only real challenge to Avatar's B.O crown that I can see.

Still don't think it will get there. But it's the only one I can see possibly coming close.

lol ok. Avatar can't hold a candle to this and neither can it's director to the director of this film.

It took "over a thousand generations" but finally a lightsaber has a FUCKING CROSSGUARD. I've been bitching about that ever since I actually learned a thing or two about sword design (something Lucas never bothered with it seems).

Star Wars was originally inspired by Samurai movies, so there's that.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The hand guards on regular swords can't cut your arm off if you move it the wrong way.
It's almost like you'd have to train with it in order to be effective!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What if the saber cross guards are tuned like training sabers, meaning the forcefield that contains the plasma is cracked up to maximum so that the field won't break on contact with solid objects and instead leaves welts and burns.

That way he ensures perfect defense?

Or maybe the blade cross guards are deadly charged and instead the sith armor's gauntlets are made of phrik or mandalorian iron (cortosis weave is a horrible idea because these actually disrupt the blade completely shutting it down for a while) and therefore are saber resistant so he can safely wield that shit without endangering his hands and forearms. Those materials are not particularly resistant against other types of weapons that it wouldn't make sense to make a whole suit of armor out of them, also I believe mandalorian iron is rare as hell, while phrik is expensive but very available.

Herne

What if those pieces on the hilt can be shot out like a projectile? I'd wait to see what the practical usage is for it before condemning it.

Well hey now, that's an interesting thought. Though lightsabers seem to work by containing the crystal in a shell, so I'm not sure how the energy could be fired out without it dispersing instantly.

I'm not convinced on it being a cross-guard, though - simply angling your blade will stop another's from coming down to slice your hand off. Also, looking at that design, all an opponent would need to do is to slice off the metal parts protruding from the sides and it's gone anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom