• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorcerer

Fuck.

ZxVBNuE.gif

Me.

I fucking love this. It looks kinda raw, not to slick. Like I could imagine seeing this from my backyard someday.

Stet

Banned
It's almost like you'd have to train with it in order to be effective!

It doesn't matter if you train with it, it's a liability in a fight. If the hilt is made of a light saber resistant material, so too should the cross guard have been.

I really hope it's not a cross just for some kind of Abrams-mandated symbolism, because that wouldn't make sense in the universe.

Salsa

all good so far mayne

chills

and lol at people looking for actual practicality in this stuff. who cares about the guard, it looks cool. lightsabers arent practical from the get go

as long as we dont get this in terms of unnecessary shit:

ib160TPM270CxX.gif

then im cool

I absolutely 100% guarantee a ton of people are disliking it solely because it's different. It's an extremely common kneejerk response.
That's not saying that's all of them, but most yes.

If the original lightsabers all had crossguards, and Episode 7 introduced one with no crossguard for the first time, many of the same people would call it lame and stupid looking.

Lightsabers are pretty god damn iconic and that simple cylindrical design has made it's way to many other franchises.

Aegus

The crossguards on the lightsabre just won't work. Any attacking lightsabre is slicing through the metal parts sticking out,

It ain't stopping shit.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The hand guards on regular swords can't cut your arm off if you move it the wrong way.

umm.. the damn SWORD can cut your arm off if you move it the wrong way.

your line of thinking makes no sense. You learn to NOT move the wrong way with your weapon of choice so you don't get killed by it.

Lebron

True, and I do place far more of the blame on Orci and Kurtzman's shoulders than Abram's. Dunno if I can forgive all that lens flare, though ;)
Good thing we have Kasdan overseeing that. Also, Michael Arndt? granted I don't know how much of his original screenplay is still in place since they didn't give him any writing credits.

Cheebo

Banned
Wait, so what else has makingstarwars posted about the storyline seeing as how they got the details of the trailer right?
Here is some..
Luke is a crazy old hermit now who went into hiding not long after Return of the Jedi, he isn't on screen till the last act of the movie.
Luke is the last of the Jedi still
The Empire is still a major presence in the galaxy
Bad guy is obsessed with the Sith, collects sith artifacts
The movie focuses on Daisy Ridley and John Boyega's character
Han Solo no longer owns the Millenium Falcon, Oscar Isaac does

I love how before the Falcon shows up, pretty much everything shown is new. Black stormtrooper. New Stormtrooper gear. New vehicles, new astromechs, new x-Wings, new villain with a ridiculous new lightsabre. No sign of Mark, Carrie or Harrison.

Argghh I love it.

Heroman

Banned
Why not? It makes more sense than having super sleek spaceships in the prequel trilogy and then having bulky retro futuristic ships in the OT.

Will I always thought the reason why there diffrent ship is becasue the rebel could afford new ships so they had to buy shit ones.

NekoFever

Well they are clearly newer models, not exactly the same so likely updated designs. Not much different from our modern military which has aircraft and helicopters from almost 30 years ago still in service.

Even older. The B-52 is still in service and had its first flight in 1952.

The hand guards on regular swords can't cut your arm off if you move it the wrong way.

Regular swordsmen aren't precognitive space wizards.

What if the saber cross guards are tuned like training sabers, meaning the forcefield that contains the plasma is cracked up to maximum so that the field won't break on contact with solid objects and instead leaves welts and burns.

That way he ensures perfect defense?

Or maybe the blade cross guards are deadly charged and instead the sith armor's gauntlets are made of phrik or mandalorian iron (cortosis weave is a horrible idea because these actually disrupt the blade completely shutting it down for a while) and therefore are saber resistant so he can safely wield that shit without endangering his hands and forearms. Those materials are not particularly resistant against other types of weapons that it wouldn't make sense to make a whole suit of armor out of them, also I believe mandalorian iron is rare as hell, while phrik is expensive but very available.

I wish one of the enemy would have a shield that blocks lightsabers, some sort of lightshield

Stet

Banned
umm.. the damn SWORD can cut your arm off if you move it the wrong way.

your line of thinking makes no sense. You learn to NOT move the wrong way with your weapon of choice so you don't get killed by it.

Most weapons of choice don't have cross guards that can kill you.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It doesn't matter if you train with it, it's a liability in a fight. If the hilt is made of a light saber resistant material, so too should the cross guard have been.

I really hope it's not a cross just for some kind of Abrams-mandated symbolism, because that wouldn't make sense in the universe.
It's probably better to instantly dislike it than to consider it has any justifiable purpose or explanation in the full length film.

Or better yet, they just don't even bother to explain it and it's immediately apparent why having one is better than not.

Eidan

Hahaha no. These kind of lightsabers existed before this movie.

Lightsabers are not wieled by normal people. No one is in danger of cutting themselves.

In this new society, there are very, very few people around who can teach lightsaber mastery. Heck, Luke was taught by just giving it to him and letting him try it out against a little drone.

So they turn it on and off if they decide to swing it around. Or ahhh, they use the force to protect their limbs. Star Wars dude. Why do Jedi wear long hanging clothing that have extra length around the arms if their main weapon is a light saber? They must go through robes daily. Man...people caught up on the freaking hilt thing I can't imagine ever having a chance to enjoy this movie. lol.

Stet

Banned
It's probably better to instantly dislike it than to consider it has any justifiable purpose or explanation in the full length film.

Or better yet, they just don't even bother to explain it and it's immediately apparent why having one is better than not.

I didn't say I disliked it. I said it looks like a liability and that if Abrams went in that direction, I wouldn't like it.

Isomac

Check out my picture editing skills. I dunno if the base of the sword can block the light saber hit. If it can't he is going to loose his hand if opponent slides his sword like this!

lightsaber7wunb.jpg

What if the saber cross guards are tuned like training sabers, meaning the forcefield that contains the plasma is cracked up to maximum so that the field won't break on contact with solid objects and instead leaves welts and burns.

That way he ensures perfect defense?

Or maybe the blade cross guards are deadly charged and instead the sith armor's gauntlets are made of phrik or mandalorian iron (cortosis weave is a horrible idea because these actually disrupt the blade completely shutting it down for a while) and therefore are saber resistant so he can safely wield that shit without endangering his hands and forearms. Those materials are not particularly resistant against other types of weapons that it wouldn't make sense to make a whole suit of armor out of them, also I believe mandalorian iron is rare as hell, while phrik is expensive but very available.

Like someone said earlier, i hope they keep this shit in the EU. Don't explain anything.
Darth maul had a weird looking lightsaber, nobody gave a shit. And that was the best part of the prequels, somehow.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I didn't say I disliked it. I said it looks like a liability and that if Abrams went in that direction, I wouldn't like it.
Just seems like a weird rat hole to go down when all you should be doing is searching your house for more buckets to fill with semen!

You guys.. Its kind of thing that jedis/sith make their own lightsaber. It's fine if this guy wants a cross guard. Holy shit you guys are nit picky.

Addi

Got surprisingly hyped from this, like I forgot how iconic the universe of the original trilogy was.

and the sword looks badass! Fuck practicality or whatever, it looks evil!

lydia

Neo Member
To be fair to those complaining about the hilt of the lightsaber: a hilt on a sword isn't usually able to injure it's user and it is design not to while the blade of the sword is pushed down by an opponent
No?

Abounder

Banned

Yes it does matter if you train with it

Star Wars already has some religious symbolism like Anakin's origin

Salsa

All you bros who read spoilers for this film are crazy. Ruining a new Star Wars sequel for yourselves boggles my mind.

It's one of those cases where even if I think the stuff I read is real, I really dont think i've "ruined" the film for me at all. it actually just made me more eager in terms of how crazy (and potentially.. bad) stuff can get

that said, im sure everything leaked in terms of real meaty stuff is total bs

I have no issue with the new ultra-saber design. Lightsabers are impractical to begin with since all you'd need to do is slide the blade down their blade and crisp their fingers.

Also I laughed at this:

7PxYKaa.png

EGM1966

see.. this makes no sense. people can certainly not enjoy the aesthetic of it... but of course there's a single solid reason... or else swords wouldn't have had them for like the last 2000 years.
Woah there on actual swords the guard is blunt and designed to protect you unlike the actual blade. This lightsabre design is the equivilent of making the guard razor sharp on your side which makes a lot less sense than the real thing.

I get the idea but when your cutting blade is some sort of laser beam this doesn't make sense. You'd have some sort of force field instead that actually blocks your opponents blade while posing no threat to you.

It might make sense in context but I'm not convinced it's a rather lame attempt to vary the design a bit for purely visual reasons.

Maybe Disney prefer idea of selling merchandise to kids with actual plastic guards - that makes more sense than the thing as shown in the film.

Snaku

Banned
The crossguards on the lightsabre just won't work. Any attacking lightsabre is slicing through the metal parts sticking out,

It ain't stopping shit.

The metal parts sticking out are covering the blade, they aren't the emitter. Even if they're cut, the blade underneath will still block the attack. They're probably more for user protection in case your hand slips further up the hilt..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom