• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't the stormtroopers whatever race Jango Fett is? I thought they were all clones, which makes the black stormtrooper slightly surprising (though he could have been using it as a costume, as the cast did in IV). Also, I thought (at least in the original trilogy) that the Empire was sort of based on the Nazi's, and was therefore intentionally all white.- while the rebels were diverse in races and life forms.

Dammit, it's never gonna happen.
They aren't. They were at one point all clones, but they recruited others as well to take their place. Yes, any "clone" should look like Jango, but they're not all clones.

curb

Banned
I guess it could be worse, Ubi Soft could have the license...

Not every Ubisoft game is bad
(Far Cry 4)
but I'm not so sure about EA having the license. I only say that because the only announced game so far is Battlefront and DICE has had a bit of a spotty track record lately. I'm hoping it gets the time and love it deserves though.

Purkake4

Banned
Anything that's considered a "leak" and/or media that hasn't been officially released prior to the film coming out should be considerded a spoiler and linked, not embedded.

yes?

everything that hasn't been in this teaser is considered spoiler territory.

i for my part didn't know whether or not the Sith was wearing any mask. It looks a whole lot like Revan's, which could imply that he's not from the present day, but has been sleeping for quite a while.

it's totally a spoiler.

i didn't see his face, did you?
His face is literally covered by a mask. I'm glad your wild speculation from EU materials counts as a spoiler. Can't win with some people.

Fliesen

It's hilarious that people still can't grasp what a spoiler is and isn't. If it hasn't been explicitly revealed in that trailer, you should err on the side of caution and treat it as a spoiler.

thank you.

everything that is IMAGES OF THINGS IN THIS MOVIE that haven't been officially released (by Abrams on Twitter or in this Teaser) are spoilers and those belong in this thread

His face is literally covered by a mask. I'm glad your wild speculation from EU materials counts as a spoiler. Can't win with some people.

Read my follow up post

Also, people should take care when posting things that may be considered spoilers.

But anyone hypersensitive about that stuff who want NOTHING to be ruined for them outside of what's shown in the official teaser probably shouldn't be posting in online threads about the film.

Mariolee

There's been an awakening...have you felt it?

XaUXtgW.png

people whining about the lightsaber are silly. It's a hilt so his hand doesn't get chopped off. He's also a sith not some buffon he isn't going to twirl around and accidentally lop off his own hand

Far Cry 4
but I'm not so sure about EA having the license. I only say that because the only announced game so far is Battlefront and DICE has had a bit of a spotty track record lately. I'm hoping it gets the time and love it deserves though.

As a PC only guy atm, I have no interest in their uPlay shit DRM and the crappy ports.

Rootbeer

Banned
If that's for real it's a great tribute to the Old Republic Sith attire.

it's most certainly real now that we have seen a character of that build in a similar black robe holding a VERY similar lightsaber in the new trailer.

And I agree, though the mask seems a bit elongated at first, it's a poor quality image and not really in context.

jelly

(Far Cry 4)

Think how many attachments and levels they could make with fiction, nooooooooo!

Iceman

I don't understand how a trailer is not considered to be spoilers but an image of the other side of a character in that trailer is...

Pls help.

Because it was an intentional choice NOT to reveal the face of the man in black in the teaser. Maybe (in the story) the identity of this individual was meant to be kept ambiguous/unclear throughout a large portion of the movie...

or, you know, as is common courtesy, people should mark leaked plot lines as spoilers and only LINK to pictures of leaked visuals.

i will not leave a thread where a trailer is being discussed because people keep bringing up spoilers.
we have a storyline / leak / Spoiler thread for episode 7 in this very forum.

you see his
mask
though, which looks a whole lot
like Revans
which would tell us about the possible origins of said character.

please, it's not an image from the trailer itself, it's a leak that shows additional information beyond what we're talking about in here. Let's not act daft.

It's the Thanos spoiler hysteria all over again and again, it's starting to take over the conversation about a movie in production. It's like you want to be enslaved to the hype machine but don't want to talk about anything other than that which the corporate machine has allowed us to publicly see.

I don't understand how a trailer is not considered to be spoilers but an image of the other side of a character in that trailer is...

Pls help.

It's not a spoiler, in order for it to be considered a spoiler the picture would have to show an actors face, be a still from an action scene, the picture would have to in fact give away a plot point.

Dreaver

Fuck, I'm geeking out so hard! It looks so freaking awesome. The trailer gave me chills.

We're getting Jurassic World, Star Wars VII and Avengers 2 next year. Best film year ever already.

Also, if you like Star Wars, disco or both I recommend you listen to this awesome Star Wars Disco funk mix. Fifteen minutes of Star Wars joy. It even reached number one on the billboard 100 back in '77. I recently discovered it... it's awesome!

Meco - Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk

Dude, it's not just
old republic sith attire
it's fucking
Revan, man, and I don't recall any other sith wearing the same mask
I'm confused about the current canon setup. If it's really
him, is it a rebooted character or what? How exactly does Revan fit into the pared down canon?

After watching the unnamed Sith sequence a few more times, I'm not at all convinced that that actually is a lightsaber. Not only is the blade extremely unstable and erratic looking, it almost whips out when he ignites it, but it also doesn't sound at all like a lightsaber. The ignition sound is totally wrong, and it's completely missing the lightsaber hum. I think this character may have created this weapon with only the most basic notions of what a lightsaber was, and did his/her best in guessing how to construct one.

Or it could have been from the past; maybe he is an ancient Sith who has awoken and created a disturbance in the force.

LX_Theo

Banned
Hmm... Saw some interesting comments theorizing that the Sith with the lightsaber was an ancient one being reawakened. The idea of needing exhaust vents on a primitive lightsaber would at least make sense in that regard.

THERE IS A SPOILER THREAD! This is not it.

Couple of thoughts...

Light sabre - The light sabre in the SW mythology is said to be a reflection of the person who wields it. They gather the parts, the force crystal and build it themselves as part of their journey in the Force. The sabre becomes a part of who the wielder is. In that regard, the cross sabre is definitely unique and a reflection of the builder.

The beam crackles chaotically, a sign that this Sith is unpredictable and dangerous and not afraid to involve him/herself in peril. It is reminiscent of old weapon designs (in human history)...perhaps this Sith has beliefs rooted in ancient Jedi lore and seeks the power of the old Sith Lords of days gone by. Could also be why he is apparently known as a
grave robber. Rumours have said he is searching out jedi artifacts...vader's belongings etc. Outside of maybe Luke having had returned to Tatooine to "retire", grave robber could be there looking for artifacts related to Ben Kenobi ie searching his old hut etc. Graverobber is searching for artifacts in order to unlock areas of the Force that are perhaps unknown to him/her at this time

The Boyega scene as a Stormtrooper. Certainly plausible that he is an actual trooper. The name of the movie is The Force awakens. Perhaps what we are seeing is the moment when his Force awakens inside of him and he is suddenly aware of it. would be a stressful event on the body I am sure and maybe lead to some sudden cosmic realisation. The question I have is if the midichlorian stuff will be mentioned again, or if we go back to a more spiritual meaning of the force. Never quite liked the idea of mystical blood parasites.

The whole premise of the Force awakening plays brilliantly to the balance of the force. Vader was to bring balance, but he himself perished seemingly leaving only light side force users behind (speaking strictly movie canon, which is where I exist). You can't have balance really with one side being overtly stronger than the other. Balance in the Force is Light/Dark, not Light only. This could be what leads to a sudden influx of force sensitive people being awakened as the Force seeks to correct the imbalance left in the wake of ROTJ.

Oh man. Feels good to talk SW like I care again. Prequels left me so salty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom