• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

The problem with CGI is it still always looks blurry or too soft. The motion blur also often doesn't match the one you'd get from the camera used in composited shots. It really is obvious.

To the average person no one knows or cares what you are talking about. Does it look real enough? Yes it does.

entremet

It's 30 years later, that Falcon should be outclassed. Or technological advancement has halted.

Lock at fighter jets thirty years ago and one now. They look the same. However, the tech inside probably got upgraded.

Military vehicles don't really go through much change aesthetically. Tanks are still tanks basically. Same with aircraft carriers.

?oe?oe

It was outclassed in the original trilogy too. It's all about the pilot.

PS

100 years in the Star Wars universe probably isn't a huge gap in time with technology considering how advanced it already is.
Yeah, true. But the X Wings and Tie Fighters have only slightly changed. Seems a bit off.

EDIT: I guess that makes it more realistic then XD

Vespene

The problem with CGI is it still always looks blurry or too soft. The motion blur also often doesn't match the one you'd get from the camera used in composited shots. It really is obvious.

Battle_of_Endor.png

I love when they use miniatures. Last time I saw proper use of miniatures was the LOTR trilogy.

rekameohs

Banned
Battle_of_Endor.png

I love when they use miniatures. Last time I saw proper use of miniatures was the LOTR trilogy.

Plenty of movies still use miniatures. The prequels made lots of use of them (they were just lit incredibly poorly), and if you've seen any of Nolan's Batman movies, lots of miniatures there.

Superflat

Lock at fighter jets thirty years ago and one now. They look the same. However, the tech inside probably got upgraded.

Military vehicles don't really go through much change aesthetically. Tanks are still tanks basically. Same with aircraft carriers.

Millenium Falcon was just a cargo freighter and not a product of the military right? Though I can see how they still wouldn't look drastically different. With Han Solo apparently in the film, I just assumed it was his, still riding that piece of junk after all this time. Maybe letting one of the new leads inherit it or something.

Fliesen

Aw, my hour or so of scrubbing through every frame gone to waste.

i've watched the teaser roughly 40-50 times now and i don't consider this a waste of time. Soak it in ... every single frame!

It'll have to last you until the official trailer, which will be ... mid 2015?

Not that exact image, no, but the Z95 Headhunter is absolutely canon:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/clone-z-95-starfighter

thank god! i can go to bed and sleep peacefully now.

rekameohs

Banned
Millenium Falcon was just a cargo freighter and not a product of the military right? Though I can see how they still wouldn't look drastically different. With Han Solo apparently in the film, I just assumed it was his, still riding that piece of junk after all this time. Maybe letting one of the new leads inherit it or something.

Don't know if 70 year old Han could be doing that crazy stunt from the trailer.

Unless he dropped his bifocals and couldn't see!

In Knights of the Old Republic, set a thousand+ years before the PT, technology was only a little bit lower than what it is in the mainline movies. In the gap between PT and OT, nothing really changed technologically. They built bigger ships and a giant space station, although nothing that wasn't already conceptually possible in the PT era.

Star wars is and has always been technologically stagnant outside of a couple of fancy super weapons and ancient artefacts mostly relegated to EU.

Cheebo

Banned
Making Star Wars is saying the Falcon scene was actually shot using IMAX cameras so on screen it will be a lot less tight than we saw in the teaser.

rekameohs

Banned
That's good to hear.

I'm curious about the maintaining of tone across the films since Abrams is only doing the first. I know Johnson is at least writing on the third film.

Yeah, Rian Johnson (of Breaking Bad fame, also did Looper) is writing/directing Episode 8, and writing only for Episode 9.

HOLY SHIT, THAT X-WING WATER SCENE. THE MILLENIUM FALCON, THE SYBIAN LANDSPEEDER. THE SHOTS LOOK SO CLEAN.

vnDIEYY.gif

FUCK THE HATERS STAR WARS IS BACK GAF, BELIEVE.

FB5IDM9.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's 30 years later, that Falcon should be outclassed. Or technological advancement has halted.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have ships that can do the Kessel Run in 11 Parsecs now!
(Or would it be 13? /Kappa)

That's been know since June. Had to put a new on since Lando broke the old dish
I just saw the trilogy recently. But I am at a loss. Can someone remind me when this happens?

sqwarlock

I love everything about this trailer.

The pop-up shot of Boyega.
The girl on the speeder + the design of it.
The adorable new droid.
X-wings flying over water.
The new design of the x-wings.
The new Sith's badass pose and action of pulling out his lightsaber.
The new Sith's badass lightsaber (fuck the haters).
THE MILLENNIUM FALCON'S TRACKING SHOT FFS
and
John Williams's new score.

It's all so good.

btrboyev

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have ships that can do the Kessel Run in 11 Parsecs now!
(Or would it be 13? /Kappa)

I just saw the trilogy recently. But I am at a loss. Can someone remind me when this happens?

During the Attack of the death star in return of the Jedi. It gets clipped off in the tunnel run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom