• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojgat

Holy shit I love this droid design. It's creative, it's bizarre, it makes sense in a strange sort of way, and it's adorable.

I get the feeling this droid might be something Ridley's character cobbled together, just like her speeder bike seems to be a repurposed podracer engine.

Fiktion

Banned
I'll accept this explanation over the others because it is grounded in the lore (for lack of a better term?) that is Star Wars. Thank you.

Vibroblades only stand up to lightsabers in KOTOR and the explanation there is that they have a cortosis weave. However, cortosis does not exist in Star Wars canon anymore and neither do vibroweapons.

Doesn't stop them from making up some new bullshit but the old bullshit no longer applies.

iosefe

Vibroblades only stand up to lightsabers in KOTOR and the explanation there is that they have a cortosis weave. However, cortosis does not exist in Star Wars canon anymore and neither do vibroweapons.

Doesn't stop them from making up some new bullshit but the old bullshit no longer applies.

but it could, if they choose to use it. and i hope they do

UrbanRats

Been at work all day, I'm not fuckin around with spoilers, I'm out!

But the trailer was hype! I love that new saber and the rolling droid.

Also, ATTACK THE BLOCK GUY IS IN THIS WTF!?!

Supposed to be the protagonist, as i understand it.

Anyway, watched the trailer again, yup i'm feeling good about this.

This is true too from just my brief reading on the subject, but hey at least this was grounded in something as opposed to just a guess. :p

Paganmoon

I'm actually not wild about the droid design. Looks like a mini hat on top of a soccerball.

And the droid in the picture below looks like a broken sunshade, fits right in.

Yup.

I mean look at some of these

042bccf7c1c997267d47211a871b0d220910724f.jpg

New droid fits right in there

Also, we had walking trashcans in the OT.

Fliesen

I'd actually hope they go about things like this:

declare EVERYTHING legend.
cherry pick legend stuff that makes a coherent universe and use these bits and pieces for the new canonical universe.

no need to re-invent the wheel.

i want the Z95 back in canon :(

bengraven

I think I've become disconnected from GAF as a whole. They hate the JW trailer and now they love the rolling droid. I feel like I left for 10 years and came back to a locked door. :p

What an incredibly weird trailer. The juxtaposition of the narration and the visuals, that goofy lightsaber, the box bike....just weird.

That's what I think.

I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it and it didn't change my hype. It was just a really weird teaser. Other than the major action/dramatic shots like the X-wings on the water, the rolling droid (which would be good for laughs) and the Sith's charge through the trees, I didn't see a single shot that should have been in a trailer.

Interesting to note that they didn't show any action in space. Can't wait to see whether they depict the silence of space correctly, or like the OT.

As a not-huge Star Wars fan who still appreciates the movies for what they are, I enjoyed that trailer. The only thing that might have made it better is if a dead Jar Jar was spotted somewhere in the background.

Toxi

Banned
I'm actually not wild about the droid design. Looks like a mini hat on top of a soccerball.
The Slave 1 was a lamp. The shape of the Millennium Falcon is based on a hamburger and pickle. Using odd real world shapes in new ways is something that works well for the cobbled look of Star Wars.

lol poor JW going to be crushed.
Eh, personally more hyped for JW than Star Wars. As much as I love the OT, Jurassic Park was that special movie of my childhood, in that same way Star Wars was for older people. And JW looks like it'll be a truest sequel to the original that any of the others, so at the moment definitely more excited for that than Star Wars

Paganmoon

Interesting to note that they didn't show any action in space. Can't wait to see whether they depict the silence of space correctly, or like the OT.

Since Star Wars isn't science based, I think they can get away with having engine noise in space. Hell, I want sounds in my Star Wars! (Pure sci-fi movies should not have it though)

Superflat

lol poor JW going to be crushed.

JP's franchise has a much shorter reach than Star Wars, for sure. Only the first Jurassic Park was well received critically, and dinosaurs evidently didn't have nearly the long lasting appeal of fantasy space epics in the movie space. However, Jurassic Park had the same effect as Star Wars did for late 80's and 90's generation kids (like me).

Star Wars films occupied the time from 1977-1983 and 1999-2005. That's 14 years of filmmaking and 6 films in total across nearly 30 years -- a long time to gaining a huge following. As shit as the prequels were, a new generations of fans )late 90's and 2000's kids) were created out of the prequel trilogy. Star Wars is technically a evergreen franchise, seeing how space action films have endured the test of time.

It's inevitable that JW will get crushed comparatively, but I'm really pretty excited for both.

rekameohs

Banned
I bet if the Millenium Falcon didn't exist in the past and was first revealed in this movie, most of GAF would hate it because it looks "different".

raphier

Banned
It's 30 years later, that Falcon should be outclassed. Or technology advancement has halted.

Nothing has really evolved. Tiefighters? still used, X-wings? Still there. Stormtroopers? Their wacky guns? yup. I guess the civilization has reached it's peak in star wars lore.

ISOM

I bet if the Millenium Falcon didn't exist in the past and was first revealed in this movie, most of GAF would hate it because it looks "different".

Most people would hate everything in the original star wars if it wasn't the original. People love to complain just fucking complain.

btrboyev

It's 30 years later, that Falcon should be outclassed. Or technology advancement has halted.

It was outclassed in the original trilogy too. It's all about the pilot.

PS

100 years in the Star Wars universe probably isn't a huge gap in time with technology considering how advanced it already is.

I doubt it, that would make for jarring continuity to go from 6 movies of sounds in space to movies without it. It's not Gravity, it's arguably not even sci-fi; it's fairy tales with high-tech weapons and scenery.

Fliesen

Since Star Wars isn't science based, I think they can get away with having engine noise in space. Hell, I want sounds in my Star Wars! (Pure sci-fi movies should not have it though)

The iconic pe-pew pew *rattlerattlerattle* of the TIE figher's green lasers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNrQCLer9fA

as well as the Rebel ship's red lasers that go "plap plap plap"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLoQmMFnIs#t=35
(timecode 00:35)

i wouldn't wanna miss those.

Unless you know the Falcon gets updated and all with new technology.

well, it does receive about a hundred more sattelite TV channels now!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The problem with CGI is it still always looks blurry or too soft. The motion blur also often doesn't match the one you'd get from the camera used in composited shots. It really is obvious.

Paganmoon

Also, Re: JW trailer vs SW trailer.

SW trailer brought back memories of our childhood, and reminded us of the OT without carbon copying anything from it really.
JW did not, it was too much (poor, albeit early) CG, didn't strike our nostalgic bones as much.

That's the reason I see why SW teaser is getting a much better response than JW trailer.

Fliesen

Who else noticed the Falcon has a square satellite dish now?

Game changer.

everyone who was specifically looking for it, because we knew it lost its original dish when flying through the Death Star.

So pretty much ... everyone ;)

Also, Re: JW trailer vs SW trailer.

SW trailer brought back memories of our childhood, and reminded us of the OT without carbon copying anything from it really.
JW did not, it was too much (poor, albeit early) CG, didn't strike our nostalgic bones as much.

That's the reason I see why SW teaser is getting a much better response than JW trailer.

also, because SW is a saga, JP was "just" a fantastic movie. (with 2 mediocre sequels)
it's like Star Trek vs. the Matrix :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom