• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheaaaa

Never bought so few games in a sale. Just 5 games, 4 of them old and cheap. That means:

1) The omens were right, there were fewer "special" discounts in this sale due to the amount of time the discounts had to stay. Most games I wanted did not get a new "lowest ever" price. If I wanted to buy them at the current price, I would have done it already before the sale.

2) My backlog has caught up to Steam sales. I already have most of the games I want.

I thought the discounts were pretty good actually. I got only a few things myself, but mainly because of reason number 2.

Arthea

Never bought so few games in a sale. Just 5 games, 4 of them old and cheap. That means:

1) The omens were right, there were fewer "special" discounts in this sale due to the amount of time the discounts had to stay. Most games I wanted did not get a new "lowest ever" price. If I wanted to buy them at the current price, I would have done it already before the sale.

2) My backlog has caught up to Steam sales. I already have most of the games I want.

I'll get there, just you wait and see,
in 200 years or so, get on it medicine, become science! (OTOH, I'll accept GitS solution also) I need those 200 or so years.

kinda jelly

HAS MEMEGENERATOR FINALLY GONE TOO FAR???

v0avr.jpg

Tizoc

For the love of God/YHWH/Allah/Spaghetti Monster and all thing holy, please don't ever post that K-on gif. It seriously rustles my jimmies.

Drakhyrr

I'll get there, just you wait and see,
in 200 years or so, get on it medicine, become science! (OTOH, I'll accept GitS solution also) I need those 200 or so years.

kinda jelly

Eventually you get enough games you are never going to play to restrict your very tastes. I have about 600 games on Steam, which is not even close to what a lot of people here have, but my filter only got narrower as time passed.

Now I need to REALLY want to play the game, and it must go below a very restrictive price limit. There are games I want to play, but almost none of them got past this second criteria. You see, I got tired of buying games only for their prices to lower before I even played them.

Miff

Err no offense guys and gals but not EVERY ModBot powered giveaway needs to be 24 hours :p

Yeah thanks, that's fair feedback, especially for minor giveaways. I just pasted an earlier giveaway but in hindsight that should have been 3 hours at most.

---

A heads up for people who want to play it in here. Just Cause 3 apparently runs better if played in offline mode for a bunch of people. Kinda weird.

yeah...it seemed to run better for me when Steam was "offline"...but when I got in a helicopter the frames tanked hard (dropped from 60 to 30-ish instantly) so it's not a 100% fix (plus for some people it didn't seem to help at all)

Arthea

Eventually you get enough games you are never going to play to restrict your very tastes. I have about 600 games on Steam, which is not even close to what a lot of people here have, but my filter only got narrower as time passed.

Now I need to REALLY want to play the game, and it must go below a very restrictive price limit. There are games I want to play, but almost none of them got past this second criteria.

It's an interesting point you bring, I was a gamer for too long to mention, but my tastes never narrowed, I more or less still want to play almost every half decent (from my perspective) game even if I know it's impossible, it's just how things are. I tried to battle that, not very successfully for many years and joining steam made this problem much much worse actually, I'm pretty sure I lost that fight.
Not saying that my tastes didn't change over time, but they rather shifted than got more selective. Show me some obscure, complicated, original, quirky game and all my resolution goes out of the window, if it's good mix of genres and looks nice on top of that, I'll play it right away inspite how many unfinished games I want to finish or play I have at that particular moment.
So it's not like it gets better with years, at least not for everyone.

The Book of Unwritten Tales Collection mentioned earlier is now on "Back Order" at WinGameStore so that deal/price mistake seems to be over now

Off Topic Star Wars post.

The end of The Empire Strikes Back is so damn good. Seriously, everything from Cloud City on is just excellent. Even knowing how it plays out, still badass.

Ep. 6 is up next.

I think the humble bundle monthly model is pretty dumb. Apparently this is the last chance to get the December games? Without knowing not even one game from it. The first bundle at least let your instant access game come from the upcoming bundke. Now it's even more of a leap of faith.

And there haven't even been hints like before right? That declined a lot sooner than I thought it would.

titch

Last few hours of the sale - can i hold out and not hit that buy now button.

C'mon titch if you can save a hamsters life you can do this!!!!!!

Dr Dogg

Just the other day I was lamenting 'what ever happened to the Christmas themed games' and then I find out Hatoful Boyfield is getting a Crimbo make over. Man I remember the days when mags like PC Format would hand out free treats like Christmas Lemmings or Amiga Format having a special version of Cannon Fodder on their cover disc. Even Sega got in on it with NIGHT's into Christmas as a sampler/demo before the proper game came out. Closest thing these days was that Saints Row IV DLC How The Saints Saved Christmas.

Where's gamings It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, The Nutcracker, I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day (which I doubt anyone under the age of 30 and not from the UK has heard), countless TV shows in loads of different countries having Christmas specials? Every other form entertainment has there Christmas staples, where's the gaming examples?

A heads up for people who want to play it in here. Just Cause 3 apparently runs better if played in offline mode for a bunch of people. Kinda weird.

Single player game that uses online services for community leaderboards with wonkey servers degrades experience whilst online shocker!

Tizoc

Off Topic Star Wars post.

The end of The Empire Strikes Back is so damn good. Seriously, everything from Cloud City on is just excellent. Even knowing how it plays out, still badass.

Ep. 6 is up next.

And there haven't even been hints like before right? That declined a lot sooner than I thought it would.

Empire Strikes Back is my fav. of the original trilogy, I plan on rewatching it before Force Awakens.

Messiah

Single player game that uses online services for community leaderboards with wonkey servers degrades experience whilst online shocker!

Oh, that's right. I was wondering in what capacity this game even uses an online component. Totally forgot it had this leaderboard thingy.

lemme ask again
and you think that's OK? It's an efficient and sane way to do things.
that was rhetorical question, btw

hard way it is, thanks MS yet again

Bit late but I have to agree with you on this.

I personally don't like 'dirty' OS upgrades. The type that upgrades your existing installation, leaves a 10 gig Windows.OLD folder in your root drive and fuck knows what else all around your PC. There is no reason why Microsoft had to enforce this convoluted 'upgrade your OS first and then we'll let you clean install it later' method.

I mean I have a valid Windows 8 key. Let me log in to my Microsoft account and register that key. That tells them I bought the software from them. And then just give me my Win 10 key and a download link to a bootable ISO. Simple. At the very least they could have added this as an option alongside the method they are using right now.

Remote downloading is so borked. It says Just cause 3 is "ready to play" but I know for a fact it is only at like 20% downloaded if it is in fact still downloading and didn't stop randomly like it did overnight.

Drakhyrr

It's an interesting point you bring, I was a gamer for too long to mention, but my tastes never narrowed, I more or less still want to play almost every half decent (from my perspective) game even if I know it's impossible, it's just how things are. I tried to battle that, not very successfully for many years and joining steam made this problem much much worse actually, I'm pretty sure I lost that fight.
Not saying that my tastes didn't change over time, but they rather shifted than got more selective. Show me some obscure, complicated, original, quirky game and all my resolution goes out of the window, if it's good mix of genres and looks nice on top of that, I'll play it right away inspite how many unfinished games I want to finish or play I have at that particular moment.
So it's not like it gets better with years, at least not for everyone.

See the bolded. I think that is where they get you. Took me some time, but I learned to play one, and only one, game at a time.

It still gets a little hard on longer games, But I manage.

I just took another thing out of the cart: Disharmony DLC for Endless Space. Unless someone tells me it's worth it, I think I won't play that game for a good while, and so it will get cheaper.

My list is now reduced to Wolfenstein TNO, Disciples (the very first), Armed & Dangerous and the two first Total War games. This is kind of depressing, actually, I will see if I can find something else to buy before hitting checkout.

Dr Dogg

My parents bought me Daze Before Christmas one year and I loved it. Pity they threw out all of my old games when we moved about 12 years ago as I could have sold it for a pretty penny.

Every time I think about selling my PAL SNES games that I've rebought NA NTSC copies of I see their price has gone up a little so I keep on holding off. I'm starting to think my 3 unboxed copies of PAL A Link to the Past are going to be my nest egg. Then again I do have 2 copies of Shaq Fu so if that crazy dude is still hell bent on destroying all the copies in the world who knows!

One recent example that comes to mind is Arkham Origins, doesn't it start on Christmas Eve?

Oh yeah so it does. It's kind of in the vain of Lethal Weapon or Die Hard where Christmas is the setting/backdrop but not pivotal to the plot. Which reminds me Snatcher takes place during Christmas too. All will be forgiven Konami if you bring that and Policenauts to PC.

Tizoc

I'm working my way through alllll 6 before the 18th. Yes, I plan on suffering through the prequels only for :

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!"

Eh Prequel moveis were 8-9 hours of my life I'm not getting back.
Just watch the 2D and 3D Clone Wars shows and that's your prequel series.

iosefe

Eh Prequel moveis were 8-9 hours of my life I'm not getting back.
Just watch the 2D and 3D Clone Wars shows and that's your prequel series.

you could probably skate by with Episode , asw The Clone Wars gives all the character development it was missing and it makes more sense with it

fenners

Bundle-trash!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bloop -- MB-71E56AD632111054
Overlord -- MB-79568049841A1062 - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Contagion -- MB-693E15E01C332893 - Taken by lindarasta. 1 entrants total.
Teslagrad -- MB-8AD1471E74F55302 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.
Contagion #2 -- MB-DA64A994C31FC249
Platypus -- MB-2C92575D1302F887 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Litil Devil -- MB-FB3B198EDC21C8F1
Gold Rush! Classic -- MB-0CF22C4F58264812 - Taken by GUN-NAC. 1 entrants total.

t1448979387z1.png

Platypus is in theory a good unused code, but I don't trust Indiegala's redemption system 100%...

Eila

Do you guys think we'll still have an event like the minigame from the summer sale for the winter sale? I hope it's not as sad as the current one.
Would be nice to get some extra cents in trading cards for buying shit and participating in the event like in past sales.

The_Monk

Great thread, as expected jshackles!

Getting colder in here which is going to be great for some winter games to play all comfy and warm after a long day. I'm going to start Divinity Original Sin soon (I know I'm late!) and I've been wanting to start fresh on Wasteland 2 as well.

Both great titles to play in December/Winter if you ask me but I accept other recommendations as well.

Smash88

Banned
Oh how I missed you Steam-GAF.

Good to be back. Excited for the winter sale, I assume JaseC is making the thread or Salsa? Make sure we get some sparkly banners. :)

Messiah

Do you guys think we'll still have an event like the minigame from the summer sale for the winter sale? I hope it's not as sad as the current one.
Would be nice to get some extra cents in trading cards for buying shit and participating in the event like in past sales.

Summer and Winter sales have these metagames. I'd say it's a given.

JustinBB7

Man this sale really sucked without dailies. I just checked my wishlist once, didn't see anything low enough, never bothered with it again. I hope Valve will go back to dailies again, it must generate way more store views with dailies right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom